Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Noob here. My first char, Ranger is lvl 56 and I just found a Tabula Rasa. It appears to me that this is a good item even though it has no defensive stats. Is that correct, how much is it worth approximately in prophecy league? Can I gently caress it up by using a Vaal orb on it? Is there any other way to timprove it by crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

worth about 20c. you can brick it with a vaal orb but also get a good thing like +1 to level of socketed gems.

you can check values at poe.trade

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
You're trading a "guaranteed 6 link with no color restrictions" for "absolutely not defensive stats whatsoever"
Looks like they're going for about 20 chaos
Best Vaal result would be "+1 to socketed gems". You absolutely can gently caress it up
Uniques can't have mods crafted onto them and lab enchantments can't be put on chest armor.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

psy.Che posted:

Noob here. My first char, Ranger is lvl 56 and I just found a Tabula Rasa. It appears to me that this is a good item even though it has no defensive stats. Is that correct, how much is it worth approximately in prophecy league? Can I gently caress it up by using a Vaal orb on it? Is there any other way to timprove it by crafting?

You can gently caress everything up by using a vaal orb. Dont vaal something you're note prepared to lose. Dont vaal random poo poo, vaal if you have a purpose for vaaling. Tabula rasa is a very good item because it provides a cheap 6link with no colour-restrictions. The tradeoff, as you say, is no defensive stats.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Tab's are great for leveling characters because it's a 6l item, though you do have to play around not having those defensive stats on it. Some builds can basically get into the 70s still wearing a Tab without much issue. You can definitely brick one by Vaaling it, so I wouldn't recommend it without having a backup.

As far as the pricing goes, poe.trade is a good way to look it up, but for sake of completeness - A lot of them are going for 2 divines/19 chaos. Then there are the ones with weirder prices like 350 alts. :v:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
a tabula is one of the more essential items to have tbh

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Emperors Charts only drop T1 maps. Its skipable 100% of the time.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you can only get >t1 map drops inside maps isnt it

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Death Dealer posted:

Some builds can basically get into the 70s still wearing a Tab without much issue.

My ladder-char on proph hc used tabula until like lvl91

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
my first arc dude was 75 and tabula was an upgrade for him

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

killstealing posted:

you can only get >t1 map drops inside maps isnt it

Atziri and Uber Atziri areas can drop higher as well. And you occasionally get yellow maps from Izaro minibosses.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's a better starter build in the current meta, EA or Caustic Arrow?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

What's a better starter build in the current meta, EA or Caustic Arrow?

EA, but both work quite well.

e: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters if you want to see an EA build that was top5 on hc ladder until I got ultrabored and stopped playing him. The missing flask was rumi's.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you can get a quill rain for your EA for cheap on day 1/2 prolly

whats a sweet MTX to use with arcane essence drain/contagion

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

TheRat posted:

e: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters if you want to see an EA build that was top5 on hc ladder until I got ultrabored and stopped playing him. The missing flask was rumi's.
and of course it's a juggernaut, because why do anything else in proph :v:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

In my defense, I planned the character out before the buffs when gently caress all people were playing jugg. And most EA chars in proph were actually elementalist from my experience. I had like a billion people pm me asking why I went jugg instead of elementalist.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

theshim posted:

Actually this league was pretty diverse in terms of ascendancy classes chosen in HC, with the exception of Elementalist which is busted as gently caress and has double the representation of the next highest class in HC's top 100

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TheRat posted:

Thanks. Just the ruby flask is enough to mitigate reflect?

e: and the Rumi's

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 21, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

Every league someone tells me that it's easy to sustain T12+ without getting lucky and it's never been true for me. I burn so many chisels and alchs/chaos on T9+ maps rolling for packsize and quantity trying to get higher tiers and it never works out, I always have to buy maps. Last league was slightly less horrible because of Uber Izaro handing out red maps like candy, I guess.

I don't think I've ever had an issue getting to T7-9 maps, but building a map pool past that is not consistent at all.

I have like 10 unrun red maps right now and I'm trading up anything under like t10 because of lack of space. The key for me getting started was running Vinktar Square a bunch with a cheap trap build. Bladefall trap Saboteur with tabula rasa can clear vinktar with no problems and you will usually get 1 or 2 red maps per run. It's basically free to run since you can get the 4 Agnerod staves for under 40c and Vessel of Vinktar can easily be sold for 40c or more. With a stock of red maps, I just always give full quality, 20+ packsize and then use the Bloodlines mod.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks. Just the ruby flask is enough to mitigate reflect?

e: and the Rumi's

(Note: it's 1AM and my math might be wrong because there's a shitton of variables involved):

So I'm calculating ~8.2k life total. In order to instagib himself, he'd have to have ~47k damage reflect back at him, which means dealing 235k/262k/314k (map mod is 15%/18%, rare mod is 20%) in a single blow. Best case, without crit'ing and at full charges, each monster would be hit for 16.5k, so you're looking at having to hit 14-19 monsters simultaneously before having to worry about instagibbing. Rare monster wouldn't be a problem since you'd need 19 different instances of 5 charges to hit at the exact same time, which seems...unlikely. Reflect maps I could see needing to be a little bit more cautious and keeping that Ruby potion handy (which would basically double the amount of reflected damage you can absorb). Rumi's wouldn't do anything since you can't block Explosive Arrow explosions.

Being cursed with Flammability and forgetting to hit that potion would suck major rear end though.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Basically, you dont need full volleys to kill most things in the game, so you just launch 2-3 arrows unless you know 100% what you're hitting. That's the way to avoid reflect. 5-volley a reflect mob and you're in deep poo poo.

whypick1 posted:

So I'm calculating ~8.2k life total.

Close enough, 8.6k.

E: And reflect-map is a big nono. Thats the only mod I would always reroll.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

theshim posted:

He was deadset on jugg before we even saw the tree updates. It was pretty funny seeing everyones reaction to the new tree in irc.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I have another question about leagues n stuff. Say I make a hardcore character when this new Atlas league comes out. That character dies and gets put into standard non-league land (instead of standard league for some reason). Will I not be able to try the new atlas stuff on that character now?

**Also is my hardcore league stash shared between other hardcore characters on that league?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I have another question about leagues n stuff. Say I make a hardcore character when this new Atlas league comes out. That character dies and gets put into standard non-league land (instead of standard league for some reason). Will I not be able to try the new atlas stuff on that character now?

**Also is my hardcore league stash shared between other hardcore characters on that league?

Atlas stuffs is in every league, temp or perm. If you make an essence league HC character and it dies it goes to perm standard where you won't be seeing anymore essence related things. And stashes are shared per league.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That character dies and gets put into standard non-league land (instead of standard league for some reason).

To not gently caress over the SC league side's economy/etc.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Also, the hc and sc leagues used to have different uniques available in them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kinda breaking: GGG forums post just confirmed essences will ignore slock/plock metamods to curb crafting insane rares without much investment.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

killstealing posted:

Kinda breaking: GGG forums post just confirmed essences will ignore slock/plock metamods to curb crafting insane rares without much investment.

Hrm, gently caress everything.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

funmanguy posted:

Hrm, gently caress everything.

I'm sorry

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So what does this mean for a new player? What currency from my very limited stock should I try to dump before it all gets pushed to standard in a few days?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

It's probably the correct decision and everything, but man is it disappointing.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

BabyRyoga posted:

So what does this mean for a new player? What currency from my very limited stock should I try to dump before it all gets pushed to standard in a few days?

Doesn't really change much, if anything the price of exalts will probably start to drop.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Your currency in Prophecy won't mean a drat thing in Essence no matter what.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1713551

Basically, people could basically make 1000+ ES vaal regalias using a relatively trivial crafting strategy. They caught it pretty late in testing.

I think most of the dev effort has gone into the Atlas of Worlds (which is an actual expansion like the Labyrinth), which applies to both Standard and Temp leagues. So if you're a giant standard sperglord like Funman, it might be worth skipping the league.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1713551

Basically, people could basically make 1000+ ES vaal regalias using a relatively trivial crafting strategy. They caught it pretty late in testing.

I think most of the dev effort has gone into the Atlas of Worlds (which is an actual expansion like the Labyrinth), which applies to both Standard and Temp leagues. So if you're a giant standard sperglord like Funman, it might be worth skipping the league.

They didn't catch it late in testing, they designed it with that use in mind. They designed master crafting to work in the same way when it was released but no one knew you could make +3 staffs/bows by using a combination of metamods. It seems more like they wanted it in the game as a reward for clever use again, but with the shitstorm that happened when lightwoods 'revealed' the crafting methods, poe nerds didn't forget about them and there were Reddit threads everywhere testing it out. Hell ziggy even tweeted the bow he made using the method. GGG intended for this to be in the game and now the are removing it.

Also, rude.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
loving internet hive mind runining everything.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Filthy casuals shouldn't be able to get nice stuff! Please make the game harder so I can grind more to trivialize content thank you.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I'm so disappointed they're removing a crafting method that will let the top players flood the market with nigh-perfect rares and rake in obscene amounts of cash.

Duck and Cover posted:

Filthy casuals shouldn't be able to get nice stuff! Please make the game harder so I can grind more to trivialize content thank you.

Metamod crafting costs multiple exalts and requires a level 8 master, no casual would ever get anywhere close to even attempting this crafting method.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Moddington posted:

Yeah I'm so disappointed they're removing a crafting method that will let the top players flood the market with nigh-perfect rares and rake in obscene amounts of cash.

Metamod crafting costs multiple exalts and requires a level 8 master, no casual would ever get anywhere close to even attempting this crafting method.

Of course they wouldn't but the items crafted via it would be attainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Multiple-exalt rares are still multiple-exalt rares, nigh-perfect or not. So just to be clear, you're upset that although the entire season is about making good rares more common and more accessible all the way down to people who never get past Normal, they've removed one completely over-the-top application of it?

• Locked thread