Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah anyone who wins belts in two divisions is always going to be one of the greats. Kudos on Conor for changing enough that he could grind out a win. And I saw Artem won as well, was it basically in the same manner?

Lmao artem gassed against a guy who didn't throw a punch and looked like they pulled him off the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Man this was maybe the best PPV I've ever seen? Had everything really. 199 was a better top to bottom card including prelims and such but this main event card was top notch. What are some peoples other favorite cards

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Dangersim posted:

It's going to be like this his entire career

surely he has amassed the wealth needed to finally defeat his number one enemy, internet forum posters. I wouldn't worry too much

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Sharzak posted:

Man this was maybe the best PPV I've ever seen? Had everything really. 199 was a better top to bottom card including prelims and such but this main event card was top notch. What are some peoples other favorite cards

189 was the better McGregor card.

but I'm noticing a trend where Conor McGregor cards tend to own.. hmmm.. wonder why people keep buying them

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bubba Smith posted:

189 was the better McGregor card.

you are entirely out of your loving mind

edit* oh i thought you were talking just about mcgregor fights. so i dial back some of teh harshness but still respectfully disagree. what really elevates this card in my mind is Cerrones knockout of story. that 5 or 6 strike combo at the end was a really really gorgeous sort of "i hit pads for hours and hours every day" representation of hard work and it made me really happy

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 21, 2016

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I wont say it was better but it was reminiscent of 189. Card of the year so far for sure.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

There's the judges card if anyone cares

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I'm curious if people will now make fun of McGregor for scurrying away from his opponent the same way people make fun of Overeem for doing it

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

I wont say it was better but it was reminiscent of 189. Card of the year so far for sure.

yeah. I think people forget how prior to 189, Conor wasn't a champion yet and UFC was supposedly protecting him from fighting an elite wrestler like Mendes. That card/main event was nuts at the time.

I still think Conor winning the interim belt was a cooler moment than him winning a majority decision over Diaz, but to each their own. The rest of both tonight's card and 189 featured a ton of finishes that were cool in their own ways.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 21, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

I still think Conor winning the interim belt was a cooler moment than him winning a majority draw over Diaz,

This was a majority decision. A majority draw is when two judges have it a draw and the third judge has it for one of the fighters. :eng101:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

This was a majority decision. A majority draw is when two judges have it a draw and the third judge has it for one of the fighters. :eng101:

I just changed it, drat you

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

cravius posted:

There's the judges card if anyone cares

People saying this was a robbery are straight dumb. I really wanted Diaz to win and thought he might have eked out round 2 to get it but 3-2 Conor is what I expected and is obviously a fair result.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's a drat shame we didn't get a second 47-47 card though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I'm curious if people will now make fun of McGregor for scurrying away from his opponent the same way people make fun of Overeem for doing it

I already saw idiots complaining about it in the GDT so yeah

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Xtanstic posted:

I already saw idiots complaining about it in the GDT so yeah

anyone complains about this poo poo should be fuckin banned imo

goal is to win, if walking away at a brisk pace helps to get you that win fuckin do it man

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Theyre called fighters

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dangersim posted:

It was better than 189.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lollin at Conor showing up to his post fight interview in his 80's stockbroker cosplay outfit

drcrumble
May 20, 2001
I WANNA RUB MAH BONER ON UR ASS
p.s. I enjoy guzzling bull semen.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

didn't overeem get KOed in the middle of the scurry? someone please post that beautiful gif

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Lloyd Boner posted:

It's a drat shame we didn't get a second 47-47 card though.

Completely agree

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Tell me what you think about the moon landings

Howd they get off the moon atferward?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

You guys were all fine with gus doing the same thing against dc iirc

I would go back and carefully reread my posts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I wish Glover had won.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I think conor is really good and usually very fun and interesting to watch. I was impressed that he was able to show enough patience and change up his usual patterns enough to win. On the other hand, that fight was really hard to care about

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
189 was a much better card and mcgregor/mendes was a much better fight and it actually meant something.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i missed the first two fightpass prelims. are they worth watching? im guessing not

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

It was rumored, but Helwani shot it down.

That was mean of him

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I wish Glover had won.

He grappled Dan Miragliotta to a split decision victory

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

I like belts as much as the next guy, but Woodley is a champion and even though I like him he is also not a great fighter

yea he is. u cant get to the top of a sport by accident

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

People are pissed that Robbie got what he was asking for, a short easier fight, unfortunately it just wasn't in his favour.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

drcrumble posted:

didn't overeem get KOed in the middle of the scurry? someone please post that beautiful gif

Ya Sergei Kharitonov chased him down and KO'd him, but during his fight with Roy Nelson he was doing it as well. Someone in the GDT for that card came up with the nickname The Fleeing Dutchman for him.

Anyways I was more curious if people were making fun of Overeem doing it because he's Overeem, or if McGregor doing it was somehow a smarter tactic than when Overeem did it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
obviously woodleys probably not 1 in a billion or anything. that remains to be seen though, maybe he will have some kind of spiritual awakening and shave his egregious beard off

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Good morning everyone. gently caress Tyron Woodley.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Ya Sergei Kharitonov chased him down and KO'd him, but during his fight with Roy Nelson he was doing it as well. Someone in the GDT for that card came up with the nickname The Fleeing Dutchman for him.

Anyways I was more curious if people were making fun of Overeem doing it because he's Overeem, or if McGregor doing it was somehow a smarter tactic than when Overeem did it.

If two people run for their lives and one of them is a 6'4" 240lb monster KO artist, it's funnier by default.

Presumably it's Conor vs Alvarez next, 3 months of hype followed by Conor pressed against the cage for 5 rounds straight. I've seen Alvarez say his ferocity tends to come out the more scared he is, considering how dismissive he's been of Conor I expect it to be more like Alvarez v Pettis than Alvarez v RDA.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I think Alvarez would take him down but I wouldn't mind another fight where he pushes someone against the cage the whole time (he has great glutes).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Man that was a hell of a card. Rumble hits so loving hard Glover was trying to wrestle the ref even with 10 people surrounding him. Larkin loving wrecked magny's leg :smith:

I had McGregor 1, 2, 4 and didn't really think the outcome was controversial. Also that Perry dude's KO of Lim was loving sick. I didn't watch the Lobov or Pennington decisions.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sharzak posted:

Good morning everyone. gently caress Tyron Woodley.

:hf:

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

I know Diaz isn't the greatest wrestler, but Conor's tdd defense seemed pretty good.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Also how did the Cody Mizu fight go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine a world where Lawler versus Wonderboy would be happening in the MSG.

• Locked thread