Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd say it was primarily due to focusing on goofs instead of anything serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Try was good when it didn't focus on the tournament.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The final episode was just a bunch of nerds having fun with each other and it was good.

More episodes like that, please.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

The final episode was just a bunch of nerds having fun with each other and it was good.

More episodes like that, please.

That last episode was the writers just plain not giving a gently caress and it was amazing :allears:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Banagher's argument was that it didn't matter because even if everything went to poo poo, there was always the possibility that things would get better. It is kind of a non-argument, but that is also why Full Frontal couldn't prove him wrong despite literally taking Banagher to the end of time to show that things were still poo poo.

The final battle of Unicorn is pretty much an internet debate, if you think about it.

:mad: You're wrong!
:downs: Nope.
:mad: Look, I have all this proof that you're wrong!
:mad: God drat it I will literally hold your hand through all this and show you how wrong you are.
:mad: gently caress THIS I'M OUT :suicide:
:downs: Hah, I win!

I like this interpretation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It would be interesting to see an SRW game or something where Full Frontal uses the Black History, the eventual emergence of the Kuntala etc. to make his point.

Z3 did that IIRC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I'd say it was primarily due to focusing on goofs instead of anything serious

Yep. Try's laser focus on the tournament GOTTA BE A SPORTS ANIME AT ALL COSTS was at the expense of most of the fun. The few non-tournament episodes of Try like the Surfing Turn A ep or the last ep show that it was perfectly possible for the Try cast to be fun and good, even with Sekai in the picture.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Original Build Fighters was a pretty by the numbers sports anime setup too! I'm gonna assume you didn't mean that statement as a sleight against sports anime in general :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

Original Build Fighters was a pretty by the numbers sports anime setup too! I'm gonna assume you didn't mean that statement as a sleight against sports anime in general :colbert:

Good sports anime(and the original Build Fighters) take a lot of time to make you like and care about the characters outside the context of the competition that forms the framework of the show. Try did not; nobody in the show seemed to care about each other in the slightest outside the boundaries of the tournament, or care about much besides the tournament in general.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Good sports anime(and the original Build Fighters) take a lot of time to make you like and care about the characters outside the context of the competition that forms the framework of the show. Try did not; nobody in the show seemed to care about each other in the slightest outside the boundaries of the tournament, or care about much besides the tournament in general.

Hey now, all the girls wanted Sekai for themselves outside of the tournament. And all the guys wanted to fight Sekai to the exclusion of not giving two shits about any other match but one against him.

Watching the show tank itself at the end with "We're going to the World Cu-*ONE YEAR LATER*" elevated hating the show's own premise to an artform though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I've said this before but the problem with Try is that the sports don't mean anything beyond sports. Not that this is a really fair comparison, but in a recent movie like Creed, Adonnis becomes a boxer to both find some connection to his dead father as well as assert his worth as a black American youth. You don't need boxing to tell this story, but the boxing becomes a visualization of these thematic concepts in the film.

Try initially has Fumina fighting to save her Gunpla club, and that kind of vanishes like five episodes after the show begins. Even in the original Build Fighters, there were ideas about Sei being in his father's shadow, Reiji using a mutual interest in sports to make friends and find understanding in others (A toyetic variation on a very Gundam theme) etc. I have some major quibbles with the execution but the ideas were at least there, and that's not really the case with Try.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 20, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yo Kira just loving annihilated this dude. Like he hopped straight into the Gundam and had no problem just loving slicing him in two, lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kira sucks. But he is great at crying.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Legitimately disappointed there isn't a compilation of Kira's best crying moments on youtube.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Legitimately disappointed there isn't a compilation of Kira's best crying moments on youtube.

Anyone who tried that probably ended up trying to chew their own ears off despite that not being physically possible.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Baal posted:

Yo Kira just loving annihilated this dude. Like he hopped straight into the Gundam and had no problem just loving slicing him in two, lol.

And soon he'll conclude "killing is always wrong unless it's remotely difficult to do things non-lethally."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Baal posted:

Are you watching the original or the HD remaster?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kira is an okay protagonist in my book. I'd take him over Banagher or Kou at any rate.

It's been said a lot before in this thread and the previous one but Destiny sort of retroactively taints memories of SEED. SEED Kira was perfectly serviceable, if uninteresting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED Kira is actually kind of a fuckup which makes him more acceptable. I mean he actually has very limited successes in the entire series that aren't 'his entire crew doesn't die.' Even in the ending he's off loving around while other people save the world.

Destiny however he's a flawless god-being.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
SEED was great when you take the alternate interpretation that Kira actually died against Athrun and that the new Kira was just Dark Lord Lacus' political revolution bot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GimmickMan posted:

Are you watching the original or the HD remaster?

Original, since the HD remaster isn't dubbed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baal posted:

Well then you just have mediocre art rather than offensively bad visuals.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baal posted:

Good, you get Dub Rau.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate everyone's face in this show and I don't know why because Scryed is one of my favorite anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

I hate everyone's face in this show and I don't know why because Scryed is one of my favorite anime.

Hirai is a really bad artist and you probably gave him more of a pass because you liked the other parts of Scryed.

The faces really are just exceptionally awful though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kawamoto character design or nothing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god I hate Athrun

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Island Wars is up.

For anyone still wondering, yes, it's an OVA. Gundam.info messed up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Just as a heads up, if you're expecting this to be anything other than an extended episode of GBFTry, you're probably going to be disappointed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ARE YOU loving KIDDING

THEIR NEW PLAN IS TO JUST GIVE SEKAI ALL THEIR STRENGTH?

GOD drat IT AND IT WAS STARTING OFF SO WELL TOO

EDIT: I should probably update that SSLP Test Post I made with all the cameos since I honestly do recognize a lot of these mechs but

I just

I just don't care.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 21, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Don't tell me you didn't find Sekai becoming Captain Planet and generating a Stand to be hilarious.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 21, 2016

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked Try Island Wars.

Wonder what the enemy Gunpla was called, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so that was pretty much an entire OVA about "Hey we didn't manage to squeeze episode 25 of S1 into Try, give us an OVA so we have the time for it"

EDIT: I'm wondering if we'll get a second OVA, because a couple advertised kits didn't show up in this at all.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 21, 2016

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Schneider Heim posted:

I liked Try Island Wars.

Wonder what the enemy Gunpla was called, though.

Scramble Gundam

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That was pretty much dumb as poo poo, hit about fifty cliches, had no idea what its plot wanted to be, somehow gave anti-explanations for poo poo, and had the stupidest asspulls I've seen in a while.

Basically, it was great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Dear god, that was bad.

I'm amazed that Island Wars managed to consistently hit more and lower lows than the whole of BFT combined. Cute ending, though, and the Gyancelot was cool for the all of ten seconds it gets to do something.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 21, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Somehow, the fact that I can't see it in my country doesn't feel so bad after reading the reactions to it. Then again, Try.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just use a proxy site like this one: https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Flay is amazing