Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fonzarelli posted:

aww snap I finished The Last Story and it actually had a really cool and great ending for how small scale the game was, I was like "Aw poo poo!" and got a bit emotional in the happy parts near the end, good times for all involved

Did you do the "extra" ending as well? The one you can do after beating the traitor?

EDIT: Last Story is pretty great and I'm sad I sold it after finishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

speaking of stupid knowledge of mechanics, i always liked that there was a secret unarmed combo in saga frontier that the game made no mention of anywhere and you had no reason to believe existed and also you only got it by having a specific set of unarmed abilities equipped. the dream super combo!!!

that game also had secret equipment you only got by dicking around in a fight for a very long time with three specific different enemies and, again, no indication it existed. the sword was super strong but you couldnt unequip it

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yo I just finished the first dimension in Xillia 2 and I have to say that the succession of skits that followed involved the hottest set of sick burns on other members of the party that I've ever heard from a Tales game

well, that's all

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

also on the topic of srpgs with puzzle fights, vandal hearts has at least one that's pretty good. you have to navigate around a town full of villagers that are being zombified by evil statues. your goal is to destroy the statues but not the villagers. the thing is that your units will automatically counterattack them (I think? I don't know if there was RNG involved), so essentially you can't let the villagers come within melee range. You manage this by exploiting their AI and moving these big blocks that are impassable to them. its a lot of fun.

then the game becomes "kill everything with your sorcerers"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

the thing is that your units will automatically counterattack them (I think? I don't know if there was RNG involved), so essentially you can't let the villagers come within melee range.

Yup, you automatically counter. I think their HP was so low that even your weaksauce witch girl party member could one-shot them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

Yo I just finished the first dimension in Xillia 2 and I have to say that the succession of skits that followed involved the hottest set of sick burns on other members of the party that I've ever heard from a Tales game

well, that's all
wait until you get the win quote where gaius makes fun of alvin's micropenis

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Xillia 2 cast is really good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

wait until you get the win quote where gaius makes fun of alvin's micropenis

you're kidding me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

you're kidding me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8qBd4R3j44

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lmao that's legit

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
please don't slander alvin

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hubris.height posted:

I'm looking for a JPEG to play on my Vita, how's wild arms xf?
Have you considered trying PNGs? I know it's a little outside what you asked for but there are some good ones.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

Have you considered trying PNGs? I know it's a little outside what you asked for but there are some good ones.

if you can even find any for the Vita with all these goddamn tiffy games

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 21, 2016

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

besides it's not that hard to do once you know what to do, and it doesn't really come up that much.

my problem is that when it does come up you can't retry. it's beyond my understanding why the battle retry is locked to certain fights and a lot of mini bosses don't get it. I'm still mad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can only retry things that are considered major boss fights, which is why it doesn't work on mini bosses. yes, it's dumb.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Zereth posted:

lol nice

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Maybe try gitting gud games instead of bravely default

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
And I thought Nier getting another game was a weird crossover.

quote:

Cygames and Platinum Games announced Lost Order for iOS and Android during its Cygames Next 2016 event in Tokyo.

The real-time tactics game is produced by Cygames’ Yuito Kimura and Platinum Games’ Atsushi Inaba, and directed by Yasumi Matsuno. Art direction is being handled by Akihiko Yoshida and music by Hideki Sakamoto.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/08/cygames-platinum-games-announce-real-time-tactics-game-lost-order-smartphones#3dRfI4yO8zMC5xtv.99

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Really Pants posted:

if you can even find any for the Vita with all these goddamn tiffy games

I just want you to know that i really appreciated this post

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tae posted:

And I thought Nier getting another game was a weird crossover.

Good art at least

too bad it's one of those things we probably won't get?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I got confused for a second because Platinum also just announced an action/rpg based on Granblue and I didn't realize these were two different games. Glad they're getting so much work lately at least.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

GulagDolls posted:

also on the topic of srpgs with puzzle fights, vandal hearts has at least one that's pretty good. you have to navigate around a town full of villagers that are being zombified by evil statues. your goal is to destroy the statues but not the villagers. the thing is that your units will automatically counterattack them (I think? I don't know if there was RNG involved), so essentially you can't let the villagers come within melee range. You manage this by exploiting their AI and moving these big blocks that are impassable to them. its a lot of fun.

then the game becomes "kill everything with your sorcerers"

All I remember about Vandal Hearts is that enemies would make weird guttural noises every time they attacked you and I found them hilarious.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe try gitting gud games instead of bravely default

I did not come here to have my tastes insulted, good day sir

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Isn't real-time tactics just kind of RTS?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Isn't real-time tactics just kind of RTS?
Eh, RTS suggests big armies of units. Real time tactics suggests you're controlling like 8-12 guys.

Like the hero missions in battle for middle earth.

You ever play battle for middle earth?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

Eh, RTS suggests big armies of units. Real time tactics suggests you're controlling like 8-12 guys.

Like the hero missions in battle for middle earth.

You ever play battle for middle earth?

No. I do remember these RPG's for PS2 that were real time and had kind of a tactical aspect where you had a set overview map and abilities usually had some AoE and could (I think) you could pause it and give your guys orders. Cannot remember the name at all but I know it was made by one of the smaller Japanese developers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

No. I do remember these RPG's for PS2 that were real time and had kind of a tactical aspect where you had a set overview map and abilities usually had some AoE and could (I think) you could pause it and give your guys orders. Cannot remember the name at all but I know it was made by one of the smaller Japanese developers.

Sounds a bit like Growlanser maybe?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds a bit like Growlanser maybe?

Yep, that's it. Just looked at screenshots. I wanted to get into them but had a very tough time figuring it out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the combat systems for those games were pretty tough unless you exploited some broken elements. plus for sidequests and endings and such there were a bunch of really obtuse requirements that you'd never see without a guide.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

Yep, that's it. Just looked at screenshots. I wanted to get into them but had a very tough time figuring it out.

Growlanser is cool but they're really a pain to figure out if you don't put some time into them first. "Figuring them out"--by which I'm assuming you mean "specializing, or at least making your characters not suck, generally"--involves playing past a certain point in the game since a lot of ring gems are gated by progress. When you just start out, your gem drops will be trash "increase damage by 1%" gems and you're thinking "ok but i do 20 damage." It isn't until later that you start seeing cool gems like "increases attack range by 20%" or "don't need line of sight to execute an attack," but that means that you don't even get a chance to pick the game's brain until you've invested a fair amount of time into it.

It's kind of a bummer, but what can you do?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm actually playing Growlanser 2 at the moment and I like it. I don't think it's that difficult to figure out the battles, and the descriptions for the gems you equip to boost your characters are pretty clear. But yes, the sidequests and optional characters/endings seem obtuse as hell. Growlanser 2 actually has a completely different story branch starting about half way through that you're meant to do on new game+, so I guess it's partially justified in that you can play it once normally and then get stuff you missed the second time around

Also, the Working Designs translation/voices are making me really nostalgic about playing Lunar like 10 years ago. I can't even tell if I like the localisation or the voices, it just feels really familiar

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I liked Growlanser 2 as well, and it's the only game in the series I've beaten. I tried Growlanser 3 but couldn't get into it in the same way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

But yes, the sidequests and optional characters/endings seem obtuse as hell.

I blindly groped my way into saving Arieta on my very second playthrough, it felt so great. My friend was in utter disbelief when I told him I managed to do it, he'd played it like six times trying to figure it out and he hadn't pulled it off :)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lotish posted:

I liked Growlanser 2 as well, and it's the only game in the series I've beaten. I tried Growlanser 3 but couldn't get into it in the same way.

That was my experience too. I played through 2 a couple times but 3 just never sucked me in.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Growlanser 5 is one of the worst games that I have ever played. It's so bad.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The White Dragon posted:

I blindly groped my way into saving Arieta on my very second playthrough, it felt so great. My friend was in utter disbelief when I told him I managed to do it, he'd played it like six times trying to figure it out and he hadn't pulled it off :)
This is my first playthrough and I also did it, though I started checking a guide after a while because I felt like I was going to need to. The trick with this game seems to be to basically check EVERYWHERE for new options after every story battle, because lots of stuff has only a small window of opportunity. It's fairly easy to do since you just go from point to point on the map. Annoyingly I think you have to select all the right answers for stuff too, which really means you need to follow a guide to get certain characters/items.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that people didn't like 3 as much, as I was actually expecting it to be an improvement based on what I've read. I'll still try it out and see

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of the things 3 does is it keeps track of the kind of responses you make and then starts greying out stuff it's decided you wouldn't say based on the character of what you said before. But it starts locking you into stuff super fast and not always reasonably in my experience, so you can get a new dialogue and 4 out of 5 choices are already greyed out, and the one left being something completely extreme or unreasonable.

Like you just start out playing as an amicable good guy going along with the flow and before you know it something that seems shady or nuanced rolls up and you're already locked into "Yep yep you bet uh huh!"

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I remember getting stuck in either 3 or 2 because I had to light a fort on fire then escape the map. Except when I went to the escape zone up in the corner nothing happened and I would just get gibbed by infinite dudes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Growlanser 2 was my favorite game of the series because I wasn't really into the idea of making it more RPG-ey by making you travel around dungeons and a world map -- the change from FFT-like travel to a traditional world map also came with generic encounters that are trivial and a bit of a waste of time. The way G2 did the split paths was excellent (it think it counted the number of battles where you aced all the objectives?) and the story was interesting enough to keep me going. I don't remember much about G3, but it definitely wasn't bad by any stretch -- it just moved away from concepts that I really liked about G2. Growlanser 4 (on the PSP) was also great, but frustratingly had some design issues, like the combination of a somewhat harsh grinding element and how it limited you to four party members for half of the story before rapidly dumping like six more that you would have liked to use if only that didn't involve so much grinding. Its difficulty also completely fell apart the moment you got access to combination spells, but practically every Growlanser can be broken in one way or another so it's just normal.

Growlanser 5 had a total mess of a customization system and was way too easy to hold my attention. It wasn't exactly bad, but I'd rate it below all the other entries. I haven't played 1 and 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Verranicus posted:

All I remember about Vandal Hearts is that enemies would make weird guttural noises every time they attacked you and I found them hilarious.

The thing I remember most was the gush of blood that enemies would eject when killed by physical attacks. More importantly, when they die on a moving object, the blood follows the path arterial spray would, considering the speed of travel. You can see it a few times in the clip, but it's not as clear as I would have liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfeZRklztvU&t=680s