Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It wouldn't hurt to have another melee perk, but I wonder what they'll do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The problem is that with the last zerk re-work they probably added martial artist ideas to it, the zerk should be the tanky but slow class, MA should have been the fast but defensively weak one, now the zerk can be either or.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Some people have speculated the 10th class will be some sort of electric class based on lines found in the code referencing electric weapons (like, voice lines), but I think that's just as likely that they're planning electric weapons down the line.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around; been sick with strep. I'll try to address stuff that's come up but quoting is suuuuuuuuch a chooooooore so if I missed something please mention it and I'll get to it.

1. As a caveat to anything I say gameplay wise, I'd like to go ahead and say that sometimes what I know isn't 100% up to date, mainly due to the nature of what I'm working on vs what other folks are working on which is why I try to stick mainly with mentioning intent vs. what's actually in place. For instance, I mentioned blocking was short/rare, but at some point we upped the gorefast's blocking chance and duration as a balance measure, and of course we'll be looking at how that effects how fun/effective it is to fight him. Last I checked it should still be balanced around him blocking the equivalent of an extra bullet/hit in damage, so if his block mitigates, say, 10% of damage (as an example, not real numbers) then he'd hold his block for about 10 bullets' worth of time on average, but if he blocked 50% then he'd hold it up for 2 bullets' worth, if that makes sense. I'll check to make sure this is still the intent, and of course we'll keep looking at it.
2. As always we're looking at Hans; we wanted to make him more fun, not more of a slog. In fact reducing the slogginess of all the boss fights was a big priority, as we saw how long it took to get through matches and realized the time investment vs fun was off. If he's feeling like a slog now then that's definitely not the intention, and we'll approach bringing him back in line. Making him fast and dodgy was an idea to speed up the fight, so there's going to be an adjustment period while that gets dialed in.
3. For the Trader menu, I can't flip the mag/fill and sell buttons unfortunately; flipping their current positions was messing up a lot of people (both internally and through blind testing) because more folks identified with the current setup than having mag/fill be in the center and sell be on the far left. As well, blind testing showed new players caught on to the system a lot better with the current layout than having them flipped, most likely due to the action that moved each item to the other list being the one closest to that list (so sell being the closest to the Trader inventory, buy being closest to the player's inventory). I know it really sucks having something you have a lot of muscle memory dedicated to suddenly shifting on you, but the tradeoff is new players can understand buying/selling a lot quicker now which is going to be a huge boon come release, and it's better to get the change in now so folks can get used to it. This was the best balance we could strike between existing layout vs helping newbies, though we're going to keep iterating internally so if we find something even better we'll implement it, just that that particular solution didn't pan out all that well.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

turnways posted:

we upped the gorefast's blocking chance and duration as a balance measure,

Since you bring it up...personally I find the Gorefasts blocking to be a bit much right now. He's a twitchy enough bastard without him constantly blocking headshots. Bloats and Scrakes aren't nearly as annoying about it.

turnways posted:

As always we're looking at Hans; we wanted to make him more fun, not more of a slog. In fact reducing the slogginess of all the boss fights was a big priority, as we saw how long it took to get through matches and realized the time investment vs fun was off. If he's feeling like a slog now then that's definitely not the intention, and we'll approach bringing him back in line. Making him fast and dodgy was an idea to speed up the fight, so there's going to be an adjustment period while that gets dialed in.

I don't even mind the dodging so much, what I hate is that he seems to be back to his removeplayer ways, where he's doing a lot of damage with his slash attack and he'll chase down someone until they're dead.

turnways posted:

For the Trader menu,

Oh, re: the Trader, is there anyway to change it so that when you sell a dual handgun, it doesn't re-shuffle your weapons? I have on more than one occasion gone to sell two duals (say, two 1911s) by clicking the Dual 1911 button twice in succession, but since it reshuffles the items the first click sells one 1911 and the second click sells a different item instead of the 2nd 1911 (often, a higher-tier weapon that I want to keep).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah I just played this in the beta. After quite a long break me and my buddy decided to move up to Suicidal from Hard and holy poo poo.

I have no idea if it's the move between the difficulties (we dabbled into suicidal a bit earlier) or the new beta patch but holy mosy has this game gotte hectic. It's like a constant swarm of Zeds, always rushing, always waiting to jump at you. I am only now feeling like I got the upgraded KF1 experience that KF2 promised at the start. Adding Versus Zeds to survival was an amazing idea - love the panic a glimpse of a white Crawler creates, and his speed coupled with the dodge move he has makes him a great anti-camping Zed. This means you have to move around a lot the map, and the game is better because of it. I am also loving that the Zeds spawn more in packs, makes hitting them with grenades easier :black101:. I am really enjoying this patch, have to try SWAT tho.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

turnways posted:

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around; been sick with strep.

Hope you feel better soon, duder.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Don't worry there is a lot less to be angry about these days.

though the blocking is aggravating on basically only gore fasts. They are able to reach players much more often.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I feel like it's easy enough to bait out blocks most of the time, but there has been a few moments where I've been forced to shoot legs or try to stumble Zeds which has been a nice change of pace from just tunneling on heads.

I'm really enjoying this patch on hard & suicidal. Hans is the only weak point in my mind, mostly because he's just too hard to hit. Demo used to be fairly good at taking him on but now I can't even hit him with an RPG because of his mobility.

SWAT is fun as hell and the stun grenades are amazing. Support is perfect, don't touch it!

Firebug needs a buff to the microwave gun. It does practically no damage to anything but Husks, scrakes, and fleshpounds. I know that the intent of the weapon is that you use it on more "metallic" looking enemies and use the trench gun for the rest, but dealing 25% damage against trash is terrible and constantly switching weapons without a perk for it is lame. Or heck, remove the scaling reload speed and add a scaling weapon switch so that people understand that Firebug is all about switching between weapon types.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

turnways posted:

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around; been sick with strep.

When someone gets sick at the office is there that one rear end in a top hat that always makes a joke about them "turning?"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Do headless zeds still unerringly track the players?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

turnways posted:

Hey folks, sorry I haven't been around; been sick with strep. I'll try to address stuff that's come up but quoting is suuuuuuuuch a chooooooore so if I missed something please mention it and I'll get to it.

Strep throat sucks so bad. Making sure you stay healthy is a bigger deal than fielding nitpicks about video games, but thanks for sifting through the comments to chime in anyways.

Even so much as saying out loud "Hans can be pretty bullshit, oops" is a big change from prior commentary we'd get in and out of thread.

The old song and dance about internal testing and "give this thing everybody but the faux hardcore hate a chance!"" wearing the record down to a fine powder was as much the problem as the actual balance and bug issues.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gromit posted:

Do headless zeds still unerringly track the players?

Yep

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Berserker vs Hans sucks on beta Suicidal, I felt like I was just circling him with my dick in my hand. Probably will be better off playing as support on the boss wave.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Think I'm not a fan of the more "FPs/Scrakes, but weaker" thing. Like, I don't need two FPs and three Scrakes spawning in on Hard at once.

EDIT: Hey Turnways, you wouldn't happen to know if KF2 forces Physx onto the CPU, do you? I just upgraded to a GTX1070 and I'm having some issues, and I'm starting to narrow it down to my games that use Physx.

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 21, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ9TgAVjTQ

Jesus Christ this game is far too easy and we need resistances back BADLY.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ9TgAVjTQ

Jesus Christ this game is far too easy and we need resistances back BADLY.

In the event you're not joking: you're a loving idiot.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

In the event you're not joking: you're a loving idiot.

If you didn't take the above post as a joke you need a hard look in the mirror, friend.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Foreskin Problems posted:

If you didn't take the above post as a joke you need a hard look in the mirror, friend.

In fairness, there are many people who unironically post that exact same thing and are in part the reason the stupid resist system went in the game in the first place. It's not something any reasonable person should joke about because TWI literally listened to them once! something something Brexit reference.

but yes I choose to believe it's a joke in this instance.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Foreskin Problems posted:

At this point, I don't know what to think about a lot of things.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
While it was a joke, let's all take a moment to reflect and realize it really isn't. :smith:

e: In case you don't follow Subnautica (and why would you as there's little overlap between these two games?) they recently introduced literally un-fun waiting to crafting. The entire SA thread railed against it (as we are want to do) and even the official forums rallied together in extreme hatred of the feature.

Barring the few vocal minority claiming that they loved it and actually wouldn't mind more time spent "crafting." In this instance the word "crafting" means starting an item's creation and sitting for four minutes. There's little to nothing to do during this time, just wait....

The first thing I thought of were the loving Tripwire forums.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 22, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

While it was a joke, let's all take a moment to reflect and realize it really isn't. :smith:

Sorry. TWI-induced PTSD flared up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

My favorite thing to do lately, because I hate myself, is to read bad videogame design fanfiction and see how often it applies to things TWI actually did or things their forum population actively campaigned for. The success ratio is pretty high.

I at least have to give credit and say that this beta, so far, has been an immense step in the right direction. That's worth noting, too.

I sorta want to write an effortpost on sirens but does anyone think they're actually good? because if not, I don't have to. the capsule version of my argument is they're abnormally difficult to target, abnormally difficult to kill, and as added salt in the wound, give less than half the xp of a husk or bloat, their presumed mid-tier counterparts.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: In case you don't follow Subnautica (and why would you as there's little overlap between these two games?) they recently introduced literally un-fun waiting to crafting. The entire SA thread railed against it (as we are want to do) and even the official forums rallied together in extreme hatred of the feature.

Barring the few vocal minority claiming that they loved it and actually wouldn't mind more time spent "crafting." In this instance the word "crafting" means starting an item's creation and sitting for four minutes. There's little to nothing to do during this time, just wait....

The first thing I thought of were the loving Tripwire forums.

Ah yes. Where people compared the crafting timers to "Dull" and "Tedius" mechanics used to screw with MMO Guild newbies.

Out of context, you would think that would be someone who didn't like timers. Rather than fond memories recounted by someone defending them because "LOL impatient children!" :v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Psion posted:

My favorite thing to do lately, because I hate myself, is to read bad videogame design fanfiction and see how often it applies to things TWI actually did or things their forum population actively campaigned for. The success ratio is pretty high.

I at least have to give credit and say that this beta, so far, has been an immense step in the right direction. That's worth noting, too.

I sorta want to write an effortpost on sirens but does anyone think they're actually good? because if not, I don't have to. the capsule version of my argument is they're abnormally difficult to target, abnormally difficult to kill, and as added salt in the wound, give less than half the xp of a husk or bloat, their presumed mid-tier counterparts.

Sirens are fine except that they get poo poo out by the half-dozen now. Four of them appearing alongside a FP is hell (not on earth).

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Luchadork posted:

Since you bring it up...personally I find the Gorefasts blocking to be a bit much right now. He's a twitchy enough bastard without him constantly blocking headshots. Bloats and Scrakes aren't nearly as annoying about it.

I don't even mind the dodging so much, what I hate is that he seems to be back to his removeplayer ways, where he's doing a lot of damage with his slash attack and he'll chase down someone until they're dead.

Oh, re: the Trader, is there anyway to change it so that when you sell a dual handgun, it doesn't re-shuffle your weapons? I have on more than one occasion gone to sell two duals (say, two 1911s) by clicking the Dual 1911 button twice in succession, but since it reshuffles the items the first click sells one 1911 and the second click sells a different item instead of the 2nd 1911 (often, a higher-tier weapon that I want to keep).

I passed along your gorefast and Hans feedback to a couple of folks on Friday. For the Trader, that's sadly a tricky one; I don't like making excuses for bad UI but from my understanding (I'm more designer than programmer) it's a side effect of how the core system works in order to make inventory changes (buy/sell) instantaneous. It is definitely on the list of annoying bugs that are just irritating enough to really notice but juuuuust minor enough to where the effort it would take to absolutely squash it immediately hasn't yet justified the dev time taken away from other, higher priority things. Then again, sometimes when I bring up "annoying bugs we wish we could fix" with Zane, our awesome UI programmer, over the course of the conversation or sometime after he'll come up with a brilliant and easy-to-implement solution, so later today I'll mention it again and see where it stands. Can't make any promises on a fix just yet, but trust me, it is definitely on the radar.

Skoll posted:

Hope you feel better soon, duder.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

When someone gets sick at the office is there that one rear end in a top hat that always makes a joke about them "turning?"

Section Z posted:

Strep throat sucks so bad. Making sure you stay healthy is a bigger deal than fielding nitpicks about video games, but thanks for sifting through the comments to chime in anyways.

Even so much as saying out loud "Hans can be pretty bullshit, oops" is a big change from prior commentary we'd get in and out of thread.

The old song and dance about internal testing and "give this thing everybody but the faux hardcore hate a chance!"" wearing the record down to a fine powder was as much the problem as the actual balance and bug issues.

Thanks, guys :) I bounced back pretty quick, and kept myself pretty isolated so luckily it didn't "spread" to anyone else. Folks pretty much stop making zombie jokes when they realize it's actually kind of dangerous having sick co-workers around, so now it's more common practice to just rag on people if they show up sick and even remotely contagious. My favorite story is walking through the office trying to get a paper towel for a sudden massive nosebleed and having all the horror movie junkies and gore aficionados I passed turn sheet-white upon seeing actual blood. I got sent home that day pretty drat quick.

As for internal testing, I gotta defend Questioner here as I know what he meant when he said that and I agree with the sentiment (and I'm not going to speak specifically about resistances, just about my own perspective on development in general). We do a lot of internal playtesting to iron out bugs and find the line of "do these changes accomplish our current goals and/or make headway with our current problems" but I firmly believe neither he nor anybody else in the company ever expresses that as an excuse for an unwelcome change sticking around, only an excuse for why things are the way they are currently and the reason we'd want to hold off on making further changes for a bit. When it comes down to "giving something a chance", it's not an indication that something is sticking around as-is forever; it's more that we want to shake out anything that could possibly be attributed to "it's different, I hate it" and get to the meat of the how and why of "this is actually not good" which is what we need to make informed decisions.

And yeah, it sucks when that's the case because that's 100% not what anybody (dev or player) wants to hear, but it's the bold-faced truth throughout all development: sometimes non-optimal stuff has to stick around for a bit so whatever problem it was attempting to solve, even if it's unseen by the userbase, can be solved better in the future. It's what truly sucks about feedback; sometimes you can't rely on common sense stuff because then you gloss over the "why" and "how" which is critical for better decisions in the future, and that's the part that takes a bit of time to process, even if it doesn't seem like it should. I feel with the current changes we've taken what we learned in that extra time and put it into better solutions for the game, and that info will continue to help inform and direct us in the future. And while I personally can't guarantee we'll always make the best decisions (I know I sure won't), I know we're always getting better at making decisions, and when we do make changes it's with the intent of making the game easier to actually play but more fun and fair-but-challenging to experience. Emphasis on eustress rather than distress.

So I know it's kind of poo poo to hear that when something feels unfun or broken, but really (and trying not to but kinda speaking for others) I feel that this is every dev's sentiment when we say stuff like that, and I'll do my best to make sure that's the takeaway in the future.

turnways fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 22, 2016

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I think so long as a preview branch exists, a lot of complaints regarding what the player base feels is bad won't be nearly as catastrophic or vitriolic. A test branch that you opt in to makes it more apparent that the changes are experiments and subject to change, and let's us feel like we have room to give you input before it gets folded into the live version of the game.

It'll also do a lot to dispel some hurt butts over the fact that reviewers and journalists were being given first dibs on upcoming content or changes.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Only if changes sit there long enough. The resistances update was on the test branch but only for a few days before being pushed live.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Right now, the game actually feels like it's being tested, and I appreciate that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Only if changes sit there long enough. The resistances update was on the test branch but only for a few days before being pushed live.

Which is where it becomes a clear difference between legit internal testing/give it a chance and not just throwing it onto live early like Turnways is saying.... and feeling like only a gullible idiot for believing it when said :v:

The stuff Turnways is talking about, is the whole internal testing and letting things shake out first concept when working as intended, basically.

Which is an ideal worth defending, when the terms get driven into the ground taking secret service dives in front of :wtc: development so often, they become a punchline.

Right now, things really do seem to be improving.

But it's going to be a long road of positive change, before anyone can take the phrase "Internal testing" seriously again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'll forever be mad until the day I can kung-fu zeds to death, but I'm going to need a lot of signs of good faith in good IT before I start to want to look at KF2 again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The preview build of the game is pretty good right now. Some classes are currently crap, but if they can make demo Actually Good it's just a matter of time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Word, game is pretty good at the moment and I'd put it back into the group of "games I'd recommend to people".

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Yeah, I'm having fun playing. Mostly.

I think Hans still blows. Between his speed and damage potential, he's just too obnoxious. If he were slow and hit like a truck, that would be fine. Or if he were fast, but low-damage. I can't say for sure, but it seems like there is still an optimal perk setup for dealing with Hans, and it involves Zerks and Medics. How exciting.

But the new special Zeds are really excellent. They're visibly different and do interesting things. In short, they're a good example of increasing difficulty in a neat way.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Terror is seeing an albino crawler speeding towards you, dodging all your bullets on Suicidal.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The preview build of the game is pretty good right now. Some classes are currently crap, but if they can make demo Actually Good it's just a matter of time.

But it is?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

But it is?

It's not. It's profoundly mediocre and extremely unreliable.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Theta you've always been pro-demo to a degree I don't quite get, but I just saw clots no-sell an RPG round on Suicidal, which probably isn't mathematically possible but here we are. The M16/M203 is pretty lukewarm at best, too - those grenades just can't handle it. We all saw the official video of clots no-selling those too right?

Also, the adds for Hans? Disgusting. Husks and the white/blue enemies? On top of Hans himself? Gross.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Demo has always been cursed under having a "correct" build that otherwise makes it useless, but this build has always enabled Demo to be able to take on anything by itself better than any other perk. The first release of Demo could solo Fleshpounds and Scrakes with the rocket launcher and c4 and could clear entire rooms with both. Now it does the same with the m4/grenade launcher and rocket launcher but it requires a little bit more finesse, because you can't just stunlock Fleshpounds with grenades anymore, you need to hit it in the chest with a rocket launcher to ragdoll it. Explosions being weird and not killing groups of Clots is odd but I've never experienced that no matter what difficulty unless I was aiming directly at the one in front instead of the ground in the middle of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

my experience with it is nowhere near as positive as yours. I also think requiring direct-fire hits with an AOE explosive launcher is dumb. And the reload-speed perk at 25 doesn't proc if you are already reloading, apparently. It's just in need of another balance pass - could be changing the perks, could be changing weapons, w/e. The M16/M203 is a step forward for the class, absolutely, even if I find the M203 part to be underwhelming. It's close, but not quite.

some more beta poo poo:

Zed blocking: yo so, uh, this actually just gives them flat DR, not just head-only DR. A sharp build who can bodyshot gorefasts is unable to bodyshot a gorefast who's blocking despite shooting it in the chest. Fix, please, thank you. That's awful. Obfuscating the headshot is ...fine, but projecting an invisible full-body DR field? Get outta here.

Zedconomy: In beta, I've gotten 8 drops: 7 crates/USBs and one weapon skin. Wasn't that ratio supposed to get tweaked? also give me a key as a drop sometime, geez :mad:

six husks on wave 2 of a suicidal: come on

two scrakes on wave 2 of a suicidal: gently caress you.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 24, 2016