Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A. Beaverhausen posted:

About that, *late Skin Games spoilers* I really hated how Lasch was demoted to just a villian. With how we last saw her before Skin Games we had a Denarian that actually did something really cool. I understand it was because she was in Harry's head for so long, I just wish Jim had done something else with her.

Well... Lash and Lasciel were very different entities by the end. Lash had been changed and is dead, having her sacrifice rendered meaningless would undermine a huge theme of the books. Plus we saw the result of her legacy in her daughter.

Lasciel was always a villain and is behaving exactly how I would expect her to considering Harry ultimately rid himself of her shadow. She didn't get the character development, her dead twin did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Zore posted:

Well... Lash and Lasciel were very different entities by the end. Lash had been changed and is dead, having her sacrifice rendered meaningless would undermine a huge theme of the books. Plus we saw the result of her legacy in her daughter.

Lasciel was always a villain and is behaving exactly how I would expect her to considering Harry ultimately rid himself of her shadow. She didn't get the character development, her dead twin did.

Good point. I'm happy I'm doing another series read through, I had forgotten about her daughter

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

Yeah, I'm not asking for no rear end kickings, just less. And more examples of how powerful he is. I'd love to see him go up against some things that he previously had his rear end handed to him by and completely smoke them. I think readers should be reminded of the changes he's undergone in ways other than paragraphs of monologue.

There are a couple examples that come to mind. Cold Days opens with him straight up flash-freezing, then shattering a faerie noble just to make a point. That probably would have been out of his reach a few books previous.

White Night shows off the ways in which he's gotten better at making his magical gear, and establishes Harry getting better at finer magic. He also creates a pretty nifty escape route in the same book.

The start of Changes also comes to mind. For the longest time, Harry dreads the thought of fighting a single vampire. In the opening chapters, he comes up against a squad of Red Court mooks at close range. They realize he's caught them, panic, and he wipes them out.

As for the changes to Harry himself, eh. I feel there's a shift. For lack of a better term, Harry "grows up". The way he perceives Morgan and Merlin, for instance. There's a lot less "no wizard dads, you shut the gently caress up" and more rational thought about authority.

In Proven Guilty, he makes a political play against Merlin for Molly's life, and he almost succeeds. Even Morgan was listening to him and expressing doubt. Ten years ago he probably would have attempted something less subtle, screaming about The Man all the while.

quote:

Also, I feel like the series is slowly falling into the problem a lot of fiction does as it gains more and more volumes and lore: There's less levity and examples of everyday life to remind you of exactly WHAT the protagonists are fighting for. A lot of books and TV shows do that. Walking Dead is a great example. Pretty soon everything is maximum stakes and doom and gloom and you just stop caring cause you forget what "normal" is like.

Changes is probably one of the better books because of this. It gives Harry some very personal stakes, and it shows in the tone. I liked that. Unfortunately, Changes is followed by Ghost Story and Skin Game. Both of those books ended up feeling like they were about other people.

Harry is mostly ineffectual and sidelined throughout Ghost Story. It's about Harry's friends, the world, Chicago, what Harry's done- but not Harry himself. I got the feeling from Ghost Story that Jim had an idea he loved, and he couldn't let it go.

In Skin Game, Harry's teammates and allies kind of steal the spotlight from him.

Cold Days is better than either of them.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The post Changes books have all been noticeable steps down in quality compared to the pre-Changes books. And while Cold Days is probably the best of the three, it's still full of cringeworthy bullshit that drags the book down.

I am... not a fan of Skin Game.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Anyway, I'll be up to date with Harry "monologue" Dresden in a week. Given that I like the contemporary setting and generally like the characters, what series should I read next?
The Pax Arcana series by Elliott James is a good series. The protagonist isn't a fedora tipping type like Harry is, and the supporting cast is allowed to do considerably more. The protagonist is a fantasy Jack Reacher rather than wizard detective, but despite being a special forces equivalent badass he's still relatively underpowered relative to the setting, which means that he doesn't stomp over every threat or obstacle.

The Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer is also good, although the tone is considerably darker. A mercenary sorcerer discovers that the killer he is hunting is tied to a secretive cabal. His allies are a band of thugs and scoundrels, as well as an agent of a Prince of Hell. His enemies? They're even worse.

There's also a spinoff featuring Harmony Black, an FBI agent and witch who is introduced in the second Faust book.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

There are a couple examples that come to mind. Cold Days opens with him straight up flash-freezing, then shattering a faerie noble just to make a point. That probably would have been out of his reach a few books previous.

White Night shows off the ways in which he's gotten better at making his magical gear, and establishes Harry getting better at finer magic. He also creates a pretty nifty escape route in the same book.

The start of Changes also comes to mind. For the longest time, Harry dreads the thought of fighting a single vampire. In the opening chapters, he comes up against a squad of Red Court mooks at close range. They realize he's caught them, panic, and he wipes them out.

As for the changes to Harry himself, eh. I feel there's a shift. For lack of a better term, Harry "grows up". The way he perceives Morgan and Merlin, for instance. There's a lot less "no wizard dads, you shut the gently caress up" and more rational thought about authority.

In Proven Guilty, he makes a political play against Merlin for Molly's life, and he almost succeeds. Even Morgan was listening to him and expressing doubt. Ten years ago he probably would have attempted something less subtle, screaming about The Man all the while.

Changes is probably one of the better books because of this. It gives Harry some very personal stakes, and it shows in the tone. I liked that. Unfortunately, Changes is followed by Ghost Story and Skin Game. Both of those books ended up feeling like they were about other people.

Harry is mostly ineffectual and sidelined throughout Ghost Story. It's about Harry's friends, the world, Chicago, what Harry's done- but not Harry himself. I got the feeling from Ghost Story that Jim had an idea he loved, and he couldn't let it go.

In Skin Game, Harry's teammates and allies kind of steal the spotlight from him.

Cold Days is better than either of them.

I kind of enjoyed Ghost Story for that reason. Showing the vacuum that was created with Harry's absence was cool, and I love a Molly story.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tim Powers is probably the best urban fantasy writer who we don't talk about in this thread. Mostly because he doesn't do many long-running series; all his books are one-offs, or loose trilogies at most.

He was doing urban fantasy twenty years before anyone else realized it was a genre. His best novel is probably Declare, which essentially invented the fantasy - spy - thriller genre. Another one of his novels had its plot licensed for one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and a bunch of his stuff is closer to historical fiction with fantastic elements than it is to anything else (in that he's kinda like Guy Gavriel Kay).

Last Call is tarot-card urban fantasy done right.

If you're going to bring up Tim Powers and not mention The Anubis Gates then shame on you, that book is a masterpiece.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mars4523 posted:

The Pax Arcana series by Elliott James is a good series. The protagonist isn't a fedora tipping type like Harry is, and the supporting cast is allowed to do considerably more. The protagonist is a fantasy Jack Reacher rather than wizard detective, but despite being a special forces equivalent badass he's still relatively underpowered relative to the setting, which means that he doesn't stomp over every threat or obstacle.

The Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer is also good, although the tone is considerably darker. A mercenary sorcerer discovers that the killer he is hunting is tied to a secretive cabal. His allies are a band of thugs and scoundrels, as well as an agent of a Prince of Hell. His enemies? They're even worse.

There's also a spinoff featuring Harmony Black, an FBI agent and witch who is introduced in the second Faust book.

Greg Eekhout's Daniel Blackland series starting with California Bones is a really cool fantasy Los Angeles kinda heist novel. Everything about the book was pretty interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you're going to bring up Tim Powers and not mention The Anubis Gates then shame on you, that book is a masterpiece.
Really? I read it and was frankly unimpressed, compared to his more historical stuff it just feels shallow and unrefined.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

Really? I read it and was frankly unimpressed, compared to his more historical stuff it just feels shallow and unrefined.

I have a feeling that Powers is one of those authors where the list of his "good" and "bad" books varies a lot depending on who the reader is. I really liked On Stranger Tides for example.

Everyone agrees Declare is amazing though.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Everyone agrees Declare is amazing though.

Nope, I gave up half way through. Really liked The Anubis Gates and The Drawing of the Dark, though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I kind of enjoyed Ghost Story for that reason. Showing the vacuum that was created with Harry's absence was cool, and I love a Molly story.

The problem with Ghost Story is that all the stuff it hinted at having happened would have been a lot more interesting to see from the perspective of the characters going through it. So you get to hear about all this cool stuff that happened to your favorite characters while you weren't looking, which sucks, during a book where Harry doesn't do a great deal. It doesn't really read like the usual Dresden book, either, which just makes it kind of awkward and ho-hum.

It wasn't like I hated it, I was just frustrated that it wasn't done better.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I wonder if Lash might make a minor cameo in some way, similar to Harry's mom. After all, (Skin Game) the new entity that is her and Harry's daughter is a spirit of intellect. Lash might have left a message or memory with her to pass along under the right circumstances, or if he knows the right way to ask. She might have access to a shitload of Lasciel's knowledge, depending on what got left behind other than the skill to play guitar.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Mars4523 posted:

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll look into them soon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm on the second book in the Craft series and I'm wondering: Do any of the characters from previous books make appearances, or is this basically an anthology of stories that just take place in a universe where Craft-work is a thing?

Because I enjoyed the first book a great deal and this "guy with father issues investigating a poisoned well" story isn't really working for me.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm on the second book in the Craft series and I'm wondering: Do any of the characters from previous books make appearances, or is this basically an anthology of stories that just take place in a universe where Craft-work is a thing?

Because I enjoyed the first book a great deal and this "guy with father issues investigating a poisoned well" story isn't really working for me.

Yeah, everything starts to mix together a bit later on, and you'll definitely see the return of previous favorites.

The first two books are mostly isolated from each other and introduce different characters and settings, but after that, everything reconnects.

#5, for example, is sort of a direct continuation of #1.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

How far are you into it, as that is a massive understatement of the whole plot of the book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Geokinesis posted:

How far are you into it, as that is a massive understatement of the whole plot of the book.

I just got to the part where the protagonist beat the cliff runner by cheating, told Dad to gently caress off out of his room when he got home, spent the night sleeping on the couch while the cliff runner slept in his bed, and basically got "brought in for questioning" by the magic cops the next morning.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mars4523 posted:

thought Pax Arcana was about the Roman Legion Pokemon or whatever, but on Goodreads it says the main character is Prince Charming and there's Romance/Love Triangles throughout?????

What's the Roman Legion Pokemon series, and is it better than the adventures of Special Forces/Detective Prince Charming?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drifter posted:

thought Pax Arcana was about the Roman Legion Pokemon or whatever, but on Goodreads it says the main character is Prince Charming and there's Romance/Love Triangles throughout?????

What's the Roman Legion Pokemon series, and is it better than the adventures of Special Forces/Detective Prince Charming?

That's the Furies of Calderon and the earlier ones are kinda good and the later ones are bad

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Drifter posted:

is it better than the adventures of Special Forces/Detective Prince Charming?

No, not at all.

The Roman Pokemon books are decent when they're about the one kid in the world who doesn't have any Pokemon and how he manages in a world where everybody has a Pokemon and he's horrifyingly underpowered. And they're pretty okay when they're about this.

Then sometime in Book 4 he learns that not only does he actually have Pokemon of his own, he has the most outrageously crazy powerful Pokemon in the world. And then everything goes to poo poo because now it's just about him being overpowered and never losing.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Drifter posted:

Despite the faux Latin, they're different series. And while the first Pax Arcana has a love triangle, it ends by the end of that first book, and the female love interest involved is badass and active enough in the real plot (which is hunting down monsters and cutting their heads off) that the love triangle doesn't really take up a large part of that first book.

The Roman Legion Pokemon series is the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, and it is not better than the adventures of Sir Charming (not a prince). The first Codex Alera book is bad even by loosened standards of generic "Farmboy becomes Hero" fantasy books. Books 2 through 4 are alright (I found book 3 to be downright good).

Problem is that by book 4 the lead character (whose charm is that he's a Muggle in a world of Wizards who uses dirty tricks and clever thinking to win his battles) has become the best Super Saiyan of them all. The final climactic battle in book 6 is basically a fight torn out of some anime series, and as such is utter nonsense in a setting that tried to be reasonably grounded with its Pokemon-based superpowers..

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm on the second Mindspace book now, and while I certainly acknowledge the criticisms made earlier in the thread, I'm still enjoying it a lot. I have the other two (but not the novellas) and when I've finished them, I have something else lined up to read next.

Anno Dracula. I have heard good things.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mars4523 posted:

The Roman Legion Pokemon series is the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, and it is not better than the adventures of Sir Charming (not a prince). The first Codex Alera book is bad even by loosened standards of generic "Farmboy becomes Hero" fantasy books...

Khizan posted:

The Roman Pokemon books are decent when they're about the one kid in the world who doesn't have any Pokemon and how he manages in a world where everybody has a Pokemon and he's horrifyingly underpowered. And they're pretty okay when they're about this...

I dunno who pissed in your cereal, guys, but I liked them quite well. The first three I found genuinely good. Book four was pretty-good. The last two are, admittedly, worse than the first four by a lot, but still didn't stray fully into "bad", IMO.

The series was at its best in the courtly politics and espionage plots. The horrible alien entities who became the final enemy was a real shame.

Khizan posted:

Then sometime in Book 4 ...

You should really have spoilered this, dude. It's one of the biggest reveals in the series. I know they've been out a while, but we're talking to someone who hasn't read it and might be interested.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 23, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I generally agree with the "first half of the series is better than the last half" with one exception: book 2 blows. It's so loving boring for about 2/3rds of its runtime.

Alera goes, in my opinion:

3 >>>>> 1 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 2

Book 3 is the best book in the series by a country mile. Mostly because of the Canim. The Canim own.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anno Dracula. I have heard good things.

It's funny, if you described the premise of Anno Dracula to someone (Bram Stoker fanfiction + drat near every other classic vampire book/movie + the author's pet Warhammer Fantasy character + Jack the Ripper thrown into a blender) it would sound dire.

It is actually loving fantastic. Its sequels aren't quite as good (though I rate The Bloody Red Baron quite highly) but still well worth reading. (And the third book's alternative title of Dracula Cha Cha Cha is possibly the best title a book has ever had.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

A. Beaverhausen posted:

About that, *late Skin Games spoilers* I really hated how Lasch was demoted to just a villian. With how we last saw her before Skin Games we had a Denarian that actually did something really cool. I understand it was because she was in Harry's head for so long, I just wish Jim had done something else with her.

Dunno why I'm spoilering thing, do people really get this far in the thread before reading to that point?

That wasn't Lash though. That was a shadow of Lasciel that was living in and constantly being molded by Harry's mind. By the time Lash 'died' she was an entirely different character from Lasciel.

e: Beaten like Harry in the last third of the book. :saddowns:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

It's funny, if you described the premise of Anno Dracula to someone (Bram Stoker fanfiction + drat near every other classic vampire book/movie + the author's pet Warhammer Fantasy character + Jack the Ripper thrown into a blender) it would sound dire.

It is actually loving fantastic. Its sequels aren't quite as good (though I rate The Bloody Red Baron quite highly) but still well worth reading. (And the third book's alternative title of Dracula Cha Cha Cha is possibly the best title a book has ever had.)
Let's not forget all the references to period pulp. Seriously, just about every character in that originates in some other book.
I actually even liked the sequels, although the quality does descend a bit and the last book doesn't really have any kind of ending or climax. Here's hoping we get a book 5 - did anyone do Dracula in space yet?
I mean, apart from Watts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Let's not forget all the references to period pulp. Seriously, just about every character in that originates in some other book.
I actually even liked the sequels, although the quality does descend a bit and the last book doesn't really have any kind of ending or climax. Here's hoping we get a book 5 - did anyone do Dracula in space yet?

A bit like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, then?

I like Dracula a lot but it's very much a product of its time in the sense that, to our 21st century eyes, the protagonists don't come off as especially likeable, and are only the heroes of the tale at all because Dracula himself is pure evil.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The one that completely floored me (in a good way) was the Kolchak The Night Stalker cameo.

quote:

I hadn't actually even realized the 4th book had finally happened. Shows how much attention I'm paying!

Wheat Loaf posted:

A bit like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, then?

I like Dracula a lot but it's very much a product of its time in the sense that, to our 21st century eyes, the protagonists don't come off as especially likeable, and are only the heroes of the tale at all because Dracula himself is pure evil.

League is a great comparison, and based on this, I think you'll dig Anno-Dracula.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

The one that completely floored me (in a good way) was the Kolchak The Night Stalker cameo.
Yeah, that's one of the more obscure ones. It comes with the job, but I imagine Newman is really a walking movie encyclopedia; my favorite (not-so) obscure cameo of his is in Book 4 when Rubber Duck the trucker briefly shows up in one of the stories.

docbeard posted:

I hadn't actually even realized the 4th book had finally happened. Shows how much attention I'm paying!
It's mostly stories that were published elsewhere, although they're linked to form a somewhat coherent narrative. If it's in the universe and takes place in America, it's there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 23, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wade Wilson posted:

I just got to the part where the protagonist beat the cliff runner by cheating, told Dad to gently caress off out of his room when he got home, spent the night sleeping on the couch while the cliff runner slept in his bed, and basically got "brought in for questioning" by the magic cops the next morning.

Finished this book last night and it got marginally better, but I still didn't care about any of the characters in it by the end of the story.

On to the next one!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that's one of the more obscure ones. It comes with the job, but I imagine Newman is really a walking movie encyclopedia; my favorite (not-so) obscure cameo of his is in Book 4 when Rubber Duck the trucker briefly shows up in one of the stories.

My favourite cameo has to be Pinhead's human form, Captain Spencer in The Bloody Red Baron - every named character (and I swear a few un-named characters) that isn't from one of Kim Newman's other books or short stories is from a famous film or book. Every one.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Reading Sandman Slim on this threads recommendation. It's all right! Decent world building, a lot of excitement going on. Protag is on the far side of the arsehole too cool for school spectrum but I really like the supporting cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Anno Dracula books are relatively fun but they really do get kinda worse as they go on and by the last one I was just burned out. I actually liked the ending of the third book and was annoyed at the fourth book just sort of ehing its way through the inevitable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Read Varny The Vampire: the feast of blood.

Mostly because seeing what people thought vampires were like pre-dracula is neat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

Mostly because seeing what people thought vampires were like pre-dracula is neat.

Lesbians, right? :v:

From what I can tell, the only big element of vampires that Stoker popularised with Dracula, the one which has really lasted in most subsequent vampire fiction, was the idea that they can turn other people into vampires with a bite. Other than that, a lot of the stuff he attached to Dracula was drawn from existing folklore. I find that when a writer uses Dracula, they don't tend to talk so much about his ability to control animals or the weather or even his ability to scale sheer walls. I don't know if even his shape-changing is used all that extensively, either.

As I mentioned, I was really struck by how unlikable the ostensible main characters were in Dracula back when I finally read it. I guess Mina is okay, and we don't really get to see very much of it through Lucy's eyes, so she's really a bit of a blank slate for all the other characters to fawn over. I reckon Van Helsing is Stoker's self-insert; they even have the same name. I can definitely see why it's so easy to recast Dracula as a more heroic character (I understand the real Dracula continues to be a bit of a hero in the Balkans for his wars against the invading Turks) and Van Helsing as some sort of fanatic.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 26, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Not really UF but Fred Saberhagen's The Dracula Tapes lets the Count tell the story from his point of view. As you might suspect, he doesn't have a very high opinion of Van Helsing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Dracula must almost be a prototype for UF in some way. Alongside the likes of The Picture of Dorian Grey, Frankenstein, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde etc.

Yea? Nay? Maybe?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure. I always felt that the most important point Dracula was making was something about the virtues of Victorian morality.
The UF definition is problematic as well - I mean, if all you go for is "it takes place in the current era and has supernatural elements", you're among other things including just about every bit of horror written in the last 200 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not sure. I always felt that the most important point Dracula was making was something about the virtues of Victorian morality.
The UF definition is problematic as well - I mean, if all you go for is "it takes place in the current era and has supernatural elements", you're among other things including just about every bit of horror written in the last 200 years.

I mean, UF is basically a supernatural horror offshoot. And most of them have horror and horror tropes deeply ingrained in their very fabric.

The biggest difference is that the protagonist has the ability to win when they fight the supernatural.

In that sense, Dracula would count but something like Frankenstein would not.