Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PBS Newshour posted:

Nintendo made some pretty good sports games
*looks wistfully at mario strikers*

That was actually Next Level Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Raserys posted:

are people still mad about sticker star

Star Fox Zero seems to be getting this too. I'll admit the game actually justified being built around the gamepad (unlike that DS game where there was absolutely no reason to force touch controls and only touch controls), but the game still had a lot of glaring flaws. For all the great things about that game, there were several bad thing just screaming at you. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but I got significantly more mileage out of the big Star Fox homage in Kirby Robobot which basically took SF1 and 64 and improved on that formula rather than going for a gimmick.

That pretty much sums up the problem with Miyamoto's mindset. He doesn't settle for doing something like that. He wants the new titles to be unique or special rather than just building on the working formula.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is a Nintendo Focus

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

You know whats gonna suck? Not having a controller with a tv button that I can turn my tv on and switch inputs with then just play. That was stupid handy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Commissar Ken posted:

You know whats gonna suck? Not having a controller with a tv button that I can turn my tv on and switch inputs with then just play. That was stupid handy.

My ps4 turns my tv on and switches inputs itself

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Scaramouche posted:

That was actually Next Level Games

Next Level games is a first party Nintendo Studio

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

Next Level games is a first party Nintendo Studio
They're independent but work exclusively for nintendo. Basically a second party. Just prior to Dark Moon they did some licensed Captain America game for Xbox 360/PS3

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

most tvs and monitors have this built in lmao

it was fairly useful when i ran tournament setups for melee and smash 4 though
working with a bunch of tvs and different sets of composite and component cables

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 21, 2016

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

get outta here TVii!!!!!

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but I got significantly more mileage out of the big Star Fox homage in Kirby Robobot which basically took SF1 and 64 and improved on that formula rather than going for a gimmick.

This, but Wonderful 101. The better Starfox game from Platinum.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

hdmi-cec is nice when it works but it can be really finicky across manufacturers

i use a logitech harmony remote though, that's really nice to have

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Real hurthling! posted:

How does it do that???

I lost my TV remote in a move, so yea the Gamepad as an input changer was really handy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

hdmi-cec is nice when it works but it can be really finicky across manufacturers

i use a logitech harmony remote though, that's really nice to have

I have the same issue. My PS3 and PS4 talk to the TV, to the point that if my TV is on their inputs it turns on the console. Which is handy, but it can be a pain in the rear end, because if I left my TV on those inputs (or accidentally switch to them), then my TV turns on, which turns on the consoles, and once they wake up enough they take over the TV's input. So I have to wait for everything to boot fully, shut it down, and then switch it over to whatever it was I wanted. The Wii U, on the other hand, can't even figure out the HDMI switcher.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Commissar Ken posted:

I literally just yell "XBOX ON!" at 2 or 3 times and the XBox, TV, and stereo receiver all turn on.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like using the wii u tv feature too but s there a problem with using a remote or something if the nx doesn't have that feature?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I bought an "automatic" HDMI switcher that detects power flow and plugged my Wii U, Retron 5, PS4 and PS3 into it. Then I bought a Wii-to-HDMI adapter and hooked the Wii to it. It doesn't stretch it properly through the hub, but it still detects if it's on and so forth. I'm happy with it.

I don't know if it's my equipment, a defective device or just a lovely one, but if I plug my Wii-to-HDMI adapter into a bare HDMI port, it looks awful. There is this sort of fishbowl effect/warping at the edges of the screen and it's genuinely sickening to watch. I don't need Newer Mario Wii in high definition, I just wanted to make use of all of the screen real estate on my Wii.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I literally just yell "XBOX ON!" at 2 or 3 times and the XBox, TV, and stereo receiver all turn on.

Like a maniac

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

smell this posted:

Like a maniac

Now you're playing with power.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'd probably just leave the WiiU hooked up alongside the NX since I'm guessing by the cartridge rumors that physical backwards compatibility is out of the question.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SilverSupernova posted:

I'd probably just leave the WiiU hooked up alongside the NX since I'm guessing by the cartridge rumors that physical backwards compatibility is out of the question.

That does seem like a very unlikely thing to happen

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dragon Quest XI confirmed for the NX.

https://youtu.be/5tpmme0249U

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BillmasterCozb posted:

That does seem like a very unlikely thing to happen

It's a safe bet for all the portable "rumors."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Soul Glo posted:

It's a safe bet for all the portable "rumors."

The only game console that could be considered a rarity that I own is a CDX (combination Genesis and Sega CD) and that was considered portable at the time as it could play CD's on batteries. It was big and clunky by 90s standards and today it is basically the size of a brick and about 1/3 the weight.

I am still glad to have bought it because, for an abject commercial failure, it still has some fantastic games. Mostly RPGs. I never thought that I would be able to play the original Lunar games on my own TV.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sega nomad was cool. Seemed fragile though. My friend went through like three of them the screens kept breaking

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Real hurthling! posted:

sega nomad was cool. Seemed fragile though. My friend went through like three of them the screens kept breaking

It didn't have a touchscreen and a fist isn't a stylus either.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Real hurthling! posted:

I've had one since the 90s and it's still fine despite me moving constantly and still playing it from time to time. My biggest problem with it was burning though 6 AA batteries every 2 hours, so I only play it plugged in. I still have the battery case, but it doesn't get much attention.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh cool. Glad it was just my friend

Saoshyant posted:

It didn't have a touchscreen and a fist isn't a stylus either.

One time it fell off a bed 2feet onto a carpet and the lcd was shot. My other friend called it the sega no more. I thought go bad was better. The owner kicked us out of his house. Good times

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wanna play Popful Mail again. Put it on the eShop, Nintendo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JustJeff88 posted:

The only game console that could be considered a rarity that I own is a CDX (combination Genesis and Sega CD) and that was considered portable at the time as it could play CD's on batteries. It was big and clunky by 90s standards and today it is basically the size of a brick and about 1/3 the weight.

I am still glad to have bought it because, for an abject commercial failure, it still has some fantastic games. Mostly RPGs. I never thought that I would be able to play the original Lunar games on my own TV.

Nintendo isn't going to release a portable/handheld that natively runs Wii and Wii U discs.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Soul Glo posted:

Nintendo isn't going to release a portable/handheld that natively runs Wii and Wii U discs.

It would be pretty cool, if they did!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Discs for handhelds are in fact not cool

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kashuno posted:

I could bust out my travel cd case again. :cool:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wanna play Popful Mail again. Put it on the eShop, Nintendo.
Working Designs no longer exists although vic ireland runs Gaijinworks (or something like that?) and they've gotten some old games on VC/PSN

as always there are copyright issues at the heart of the bullshit that keeps games like that off of services

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

It would be pretty cool, if they did!

you know what else would be cool?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Quest For Glory II posted:

Working Designs no longer exists although vic ireland runs Gaijinworks (or something like that?) and they've gotten some old games on VC/PSN

as always there are copyright issues at the heart of the bullshit that keeps games like that off of services

Alternate option: Falcom stops making Ys games for half a minute and pumps out a new Popful Mail.

Or the Super Famicom version gets translated.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dragon Quest XI confirmed for the NX.

https://youtu.be/5tpmme0249U

The top comment on that video says Unreal Engine 4 compatibility must be confirmed if that game is on the NX - is that true? Haven't read up on the new Dragon Quest so didn't know if it was Unreal 4.

If so, that might give us more of a clue into the graphics chip the NX might be using. Is the X1 capable of running Unreal 4 games?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo should just call and ask me what disc games I have and then temporally give me a download license. I will tell them the truth

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Kashuno posted:

I feel like with the lack of information we've got a lot of people confused by what the NX is probably going to be. I'm pretty sure this sort of thing has happened before...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

InFlames235 posted:

The top comment on that video says Unreal Engine 4 compatibility must be confirmed if that game is on the NX - is that true? Haven't read up on the new Dragon Quest so didn't know if it was Unreal 4.

It's complicated. The PS4 version does, the 3DS version obviously doesn't, so this doesn't confirm anything one way or the other (though it's far more likely to be a downscaled PS4 version than an upscaled 3DS version, this isn't definitive proof).

quote:

Is the X1 capable of running Unreal 4 games?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah expect the nx release to be the full console version and 3ds to be the classic graphics version
it would be pretty dumb to not put ue4 support in a console in 2017

• Locked thread