Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno about 'fan favorite', but yeah, it certainly would have been better received earlier in the season.
It wouldn't be a fan favorite because it's just an awkward Fat Riker fanboying over this holonovel. It's like that jerk-off fake time traveller that steals Data tut-tutting in the corner. "Hmm. Picard at command! Picard at Tevris Delta! Hmmm hmmmm"

I get what the aim was, with interweaving the stories, but gently caress they could have done it with a time capsule, or some space anomaly or just about anything other than a holodeck for gently caress's sake.

Cutting off before Arch gives his big hero speech is just the last bit of gently caress you, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hey now, why show his historic speech when we have this expensive CGI Enterprise flyover to show you? :haw:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hey now, why show his historic speech when we have this expensive CGI Enterprise flyover to show you? :haw:

This is the main thing that was wrong with the episode. I think the TNG framing is fine and it's nice to see Riker again. I know I'm seriously in the minority here but I just didn't hate These Are the Voyages... that much. Even Trip dying is in principle fine, although the actual scene where it happens is kind of poor. But jeez at least write part of the speech.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

EDIT: Edit is not quote.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Episode starts with Riker in the future worrying about what the Pegasus cloaking device means.

He confides in Troi, who suggests a holoprogram that might help him.

Turns out back during the Romulan War, the NX-01 captured a Romulan cloaking device. Elements of Starfleet, still aligned with General Robocop of Mars, want to use the cloaking technology to defeat the Romulans outright, then turn on their allies with their new upper hand. Archer hems and haws over what to do, Trip dies for some reason because of a near mutiny on board the NX-01 over what to do, but ultimately cooler heads prevail and leads directly the treaty signing during the war that causes the Federation. It ends just as Archer steps up to start the speech (which is probably too long to contain in the episode anyhow)

Riker learns a valuable lesson somehow that feeds into his betrayal of Captain Guy From Lost.

Episode ends with Archer wrapping up the speech, which ends with the "to boldly go" bit. During that voiceover, you see a montage of future Federation ships, just like the opening credits of the show.

There, I wrote you a better episode in...about four minutes?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sash! posted:

Episode starts with Riker in the future worrying about what the Pegasus cloaking device means.

Turns out back during the Romulan War, the NX-01 captured a Romulan cloaking device. Elements of Starfleet, still aligned with General Robocop of Mars, want to use the cloaking technology to defeat the Romulans outright, then turn on their allies with their new upper hand. Archer hems and haws over what to do, Trip dies for some reason because of a near mutiny on board the NX-01 over what to do, but ultimately cooler heads prevail and leads directly the treaty signing during the war that causes the Federation. It ends just as Archer steps up to start the speech (which is probably too long to contain in the episode anyhow)

Riker learns a valuable lesson somehow that feeds into his betrayal of Captain Guy From Lost.

Episode ends with Archer wrapping up the speech, which ends with the "to boldly go" bit. During that voiceover, you see a montage of future Federation ships, just like the opening credits of the show.

If only the didn't stop taking on fan submitted scripts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sash! posted:

You still run into the problem of the framework relying on viewer's knowledge of an (at that time) 11 year old TNG episode that most people probably don't remember.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fortunately all they need to know is 'we have a cloaking device'.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Weren't cloaking devices presented as a new technology in TOS?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

cheetah7071 posted:

Weren't cloaking devices presented as a new technology in TOS?

Brand-spankin'-new, yeah.

TOS introduced the notion that being visually invisible was new, but they could still be picked up on motion tracking.

Then they introduced the cloaking device proper, which made them invisible to sensors.

Enterprise shat all over that by having the Romulans be able to cloak poo poo anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If it's a good cloaking device nobody would ever have seen it before.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just paint your drat ships like a starfield, you dumb fucks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Just paint your drat ships like a starfield, you dumb fucks.

Or only get into fights with species that don't use windows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You still run into the problem of the framework relying on viewer's knowledge of an (at that time) 11 year old TNG episode that most people probably don't remember.

Not really, because you say it all over again:

Riker: Hey, remember how that Admiral I used to work for came over to visit and back in the old days we lost that ship we were on?
Troi: Yeah.
Riker: Well, here's the deal: there was actually a mutiny on board because it was a black project to develop a Federation cloaking device and now we might have found the missing ship, so I'm a little worried about what's going to happen because that poo poo is totally illegal.
Troi: And you're not sure what to do because you're split between loyal to the law and loyalty to a man you respect?
Riker: Plus I was sort of on the Evil Admiral's side at the time, so I'm not sure if I broke the law.
Troi: Huh, tough one there. There's a time, way back at the beginning of the Federation that was very similar. Maybe spend some time exploring it in the holodeck and see what insight you get?
Riker: Neat, I'll try not bone someone in it too, maybe!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They should have just had Frakes cameo as the finally revealed face for the chef.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey, It's me, Reggie Riker, the chef on the Enterprise.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chef would have been a perfect place for a celebrity cameo. Can you imagine Gordon Ramsay appearing as the ship's chef de cuisine?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

If I recall correctly, they were really hoping to get Shatner to play Chef as an ancestor of Kirk.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

Not really, because you say it all over again:

Riker: Hey, remember how that Admiral I used to work for came over to visit and back in the old days we lost that ship we were on?
Troi: Yeah.
Riker: Well, here's the deal: there was actually a mutiny on board because it was a black project to develop a Federation cloaking device and now we might have found the missing ship, so I'm a little worried about what's going to happen because that poo poo is totally illegal.
Troi: And you're not sure what to do because you're split between loyal to the law and loyalty to a man you respect?
Riker: Plus I was sort of on the Evil Admiral's side at the time, so I'm not sure if I broke the law.
Troi: Huh, tough one there. There's a time, way back at the beginning of the Federation that was very similar. Maybe spend some time exploring it in the holodeck and see what insight you get?
Riker: Neat, I'll try not bone someone in it too, maybe!

Since they have to exposit the problem Riker is pondering anyway, I don't know why they didn't just come up with a whole new dilemma in the Enterprise-E era he could wrestle with. Avoid the problem of fat Riker and maybe even, I dunno, write it as a dilemma that in some way actually has parallels to the main plot.

I mean, I liked "The Pegasus" but it's not like that was some beloved classic episode. If I didn't read beforehand "These Are the Voyages" was pulling from it I probably wouldn't have even identified the reference.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I kind of wish they did do the "hot new band plays in the mess hall every week" thing just because of how balls crazy that would have been.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If I recall correctly, they were really hoping to get Shatner to play Chef as an ancestor of Kirk.
"CAPTAIN ARCHER, I AM LOSING COMMAND. I AM LOSING THE KITCHEN."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Drink-Mix Man posted:

How long has it been since I pointed out how much better the new films would be if Young Kirk was just played by Shatner?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno, how long has it been since someone said something that silly?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I dunno, how long has it been since someone said something that silly?

Well...

WickedHate posted:

I kind of wish they did do the "hot new band plays in the mess hall every week" thing just because of how balls crazy that would have been.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pegasus was a pretty good episode, and I can see why they would want to go back to it. But it never really had a hole in it that cried out to be filled retroactively. If it did have such a hole, it probably wouldn't have been a pretty good episode. Doomed from the start...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They had to find an episode featuring old, fat Riker, there's nothing more to it than that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The mechanics of the framing device and the episode they chose are inconsequential in comparison to the episode they chose to do the crossover in--the finale.

Think back to how much everyone loved the Sulu flashback on Voyager. Fans love that poo poo. Just not as a series finale.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

The mechanics of the framing device and the episode they chose are inconsequential in comparison to the episode they chose to do the crossover in--the finale.

Think back to how much everyone loved the Sulu flashback on Voyager. Fans love that poo poo. Just not as a series finale.

If I'm recalling correctly, Berman and Braga wrote These Are The Voyages... about halfway through the third season, when they thought the show might get canceled, but when it was picked up that's when they came up with Space Nazis and told Manny Coto that was now his mess to clean up; Coto smelled bullshit during the fourth season and wrote Terra Prime as "his" finale, figuring that Berman would come back and insist that TATV be used as the series finale (and he was right).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww yiss. Just showed up on my Netflix.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and the rest of us are stuck with freaking CBS All-Access.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Rhyno posted:

Jolene Blalock was super pissed during the filming and was very vocal about how insulting the entire premises of the finale was from day one.

She was just pissed that she had to hold still while Frakes smooched her.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and the rest of us are stuck with freaking CBS All-Access.

Pirate the poo poo out of it along with the rest of the civilized world

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tighclops posted:

Pirate the poo poo out of it along with the rest of the civilized world

I have added the UK's technological distinctiveness to my own.

Its culture has adapted to service me.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I seem to recall a goon (Meglar?) worked on Enterprise and had the task of finding a scene from TNG that would work with the ENT finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mortanis posted:

I seem to recall a goon (Meglar?) worked on Enterprise and had the task of finding a scene from TNG that would work with the ENT finale.

Is it his fault that the footage they spliced fat Riker into also had Riker in it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Pegasus was a pretty good episode, and I can see why they would want to go back to it. But it never really had a hole in it that cried out to be filled retroactively. If it did have such a hole, it probably wouldn't have been a pretty good episode. Doomed from the start...

Agreed, but still;

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Since they have to exposit the problem Riker is pondering anyway, I don't know why they didn't just come up with a whole new dilemma in the Enterprise-E era he could wrestle with. Avoid the problem of fat Riker and maybe even, I dunno, write it as a dilemma that in some way actually has parallels to the main plot.

Make a new conflict for Riker that doesn't require the audience to ignore how fat Frakes had gotten in the ten years since The Pegasus aired. poo poo, this was 2005 so you could have set it post-Nemesis as Captain Riker on the Titan. Maybe compare Trip's death with Data's, I dunno. It's not as if you'd have to worry about alienating new viewers with unfamiliar characters, the hardcore trektards were the only ones watching the show at that point. Literally anything but what we got.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Agreed, but still;

Make a new conflict for Riker that doesn't require the audience to ignore how fat Frakes had gotten in the ten years since The Pegasus aired.

Reeling from Data's death, Riker looks to the past to see how-- faced with Trip's similar tragedy-- Captain Archer learned to cope with his own eating disorder.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Slogging through Voyager S2, Seska is working with the Kazon and we're getting all this crap about he Kazon and their history and like did anyone ever give half a poo poo?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why were the Kazon around for so long? They were so primitive, how could their reach be that far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Are the Kazon the trashcan race who couldn't figure out how to find water in space?