Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I put flame stickers on my Fox body when I was in high school and gained 10HP. Confirmed on dyno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I probably lost power when I put my CAI on my EB but I did it for sound and knew I was going to be tuning and doing more bolt ons anyway. It's funny cause if you ever look at the optimal upgrade paths people come up with CAI is always last and listed mainly as sound. The sound was exactly why I wanted to do it first.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
CAI inductions don't do anything by themselves. All you are doing is changing the shape/length of the pipe and the size of the air filter. The throttle body size doesn't change. it cant suck in more air.
That is why you can get sound differences. What is really helps is getting cold air and/or fresh air and not just "more air"

If you are vacuuming your house and have a piece of paper over the suction part, you will not be able to suck up a lot of dirt. you remove the paper and holys*** your vacuum just got 5 extra HP!!!!
Having a shroud around your filter or a intake silencer or any other noise reduction part on the filter housing blocks air. remove it and voila!!! you got your extra HP!!!!!
A $300 CAI setup or just a $50 K&N filter will give you the same performance as having no filter and pipe.
The CAI hp gains are from swapping out the stock paper filter and air blocking filter housing from whatever year mustang (or any car) with a much more pourus filter.

When you have a huge CAI in your engine bay, all your doing is sucking up heat and its going into the engine. you are actually losing power.
Cold air is denser than hot air. Colder air means more power. also you enter "Vena Contracta" where no matter how big or powerful your CAI is
the throttle body vacuum is at its maximum with "fluid" air velocity.

What about turbulent air? that helps right? well kinda, the turbulent air in duct work moving around the fender well to get colder air outside of the engine bay works. it has lots of 90 degree angles.
turbulent air can mix better in the combustion chambers but air takes twice as long to get to the engine. which is something you want to avoid. This is why a Ram air is not all the great. It looks cool
but really doesn't help.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dinurth posted:

I put flame stickers on my Fox body when I was in high school and gained 10HP. Confirmed on dyno.

If you want to get pedantic, putting stickers on your car doesn't get you 10hp on the dyno.
it makes your car more aerodynamic if you use them to cover up panel gaps on your car in the wind tunnel.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
CAI is a little different when you are talking about forced induction. The air is going to be heated up by the turbo regardless before it's passed through the intercooler.

I'm actually going to experiment with mine and see if putting on gold reflective tape has any impact on charge temps. It's been so hot out recently that I basically heat soak from sitting still for 2 minutes in traffic. I'm curious if the tape will fight off some of that soak. I know you are supposed to also wrap your cold side charge pipe but mines red and the novelty hasn't worn off. Anyway I'm mainly just interested in whether or not the turbo is going to heat up the air the same amount when the CAI is heat soaked or at ambient.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Buhbuhj posted:

CAI is a little different when you are talking about forced induction. The air is going to be heated up by the turbo regardless before it's passed through the intercooler.

I'm actually going to experiment with mine and see if putting on gold reflective tape has any impact on charge temps. It's been so hot out recently that I basically heat soak from sitting still for 2 minutes in traffic. I'm curious if the tape will fight off some of that soak. I know you are supposed to also wrap your cold side charge pipe but mines red and the novelty hasn't worn off. Anyway I'm mainly just interested in whether or not the turbo is going to heat up the air the same amount when the CAI is heat soaked or at ambient.

Exactly! That is why I said CAI by themselves do not do anything. Forcing hot air into a vacuum will improve power, but forcing cold air will make even more power.

Million dollar supercars are plated with gold in the engine bay, 1000+ hp cars are covered in gold parts, & Heavily raced and endurance based cars have gold in the engine bay.
so yea gold has its applications but I honestly do not think you will notice a difference though in your eb. I think all it will do for you is let your touch the turbo pipes without getting burned.
but if you are serious about it the rule of thumb is anything that gets hot, wrap to stop the heat getting out and anything that you want to keep cold, wrap to stop the heat getting in.
If you are willing to go the extra step with holes in the fenders or hood, it will take care of a lot of the heat issues as hot air rises. Does your hood have those black clips in them? perhaps you can just take them out and experiment. Honestly I would be mildly interested.

Just looking on google for gold tape and I see people wrapping plastic intake pipes.... ugggg thats not how it works!!!!!!

kalvick fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 17, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
11.5 months (9/4/2015) of daily usage

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wipe your dash when youre finished driving, dang.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You probably wouldn't want to see my dash then, if that amount of dust bothers you.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I tried to wipe off my dash with a napkin I got from McDonald's once and now my gauges -- in addition to being dusty -- have scratches on them.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cage posted:

Wipe your dash when youre finished driving, dang.
Its a little dusty but unless you're in an actual clean room its impossible to not see dust with that much sunlight coming in.

Also I don't have time in the morning and in the evening its a thousand degrees in the car. It'll get a thorough cleaning on Saturday. C&C on Sunday morning and going for a group overnight cruise up to Tahoe next weekend.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Well, at least you drive more than kalvick.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dinurth posted:

well, at least I dont have dust like ilkhan.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

well, at least I dont have dust like ilkhan.

Only all of your rubber parts, including tires.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

iwentdoodie posted:

Windshield wipers

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

I dont know what you are talking about but ok.

Buhbuhj posted:

Windshield wipers
I would not say they are dusty, just unusable, but I will give that to you.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
kalvick what would you do if someone secretly snuck a new pair of windshield wipers on your car

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

kalvick what would you do if someone secretly snuck a new pair of windshield wipers on your car

Dude! What a coincidence! a friend of mine said he was going to do this yesterday to me. weather or not he will I dunno.
I looked at them the other day though, and they are in really really really bad shape.

Also I drove the car today. Mark 8-20-2016 in the history books.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 20, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kalvick posted:

Dude! What a coincidence! a friend of mine said he was going to do this yesterday to me. weather or not he will I dunno.
I looked at them the other day though, and they are in really really really bad shape.

Also I drove the car today. Mark 8-20-2018 in the history books.
Whats your mileage on it, now?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
And what year is it again?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Its a 2001 bought it brand new!!! here is one of the 1st pictures I have of her.

I added 113.3 miles on it since 7-13-16 so dont go saying Kalvick doesn't drive his car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's less than I drive on an average work day, and I don't drive for a living.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

That's less than I drive on an average work day, and I don't drive for a living.

Thats why you need to have a second car.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah you should buy a boring car because you drive too much.

Or we should all drive our mustangs more because that's why we bought them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cage posted:

Yeah you should buy a boring car because you drive too much.

Or we should all drive our mustangs more because that's why we bought them.

That's why i bought a second mustang

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm actually half thinking about trading in for a Tacoma or F150 (drat you Ford for killing the ranger!) plus a bike (for fun).

Need to do some soul searching (and test drive) on that one.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Dinurth posted:

Is there really nothing better to talk about than the dude that treats his Mustang as La Petite Ferrari?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I'm actually half thinking about trading in for a Tacoma or F150 (drat you Ford for killing the ranger!) plus a bike (for fun).

Need to do some soul searching (and test drive) on that one.

Ranger is coming back in 2019 model year.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't have an update on my gold tape adventures because I actually ran out of tape so my intake is half covered. It's also been slightly cooler these past few days so my temps are lower to start out with.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I know, I was all over those rumors when they first started. I just don't want to wait that long. 2 years is a long time.

oRenj9 posted:

Is there really nothing better to talk about than the dude that treats his Mustang as La Petite Ferrari?
Not really, no.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 21, 2016

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Haven't heard about any Mustangs crashing in spectacularly stupid fashion in the past few weeks. We're probably about due.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dick Burglar posted:

Haven't heard about any Mustangs crashing in spectacularly stupid fashion in the past few weeks. We're probably about due.

One mowed through a parking lot in LA last week.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Dick Burglar posted:

here you go

http://jalopnik.com/organized-thieves-steal-cars-from-dealer-ram-police-ca-1785559838

oRenj9 posted:

I think its becoming more of neglect. It only gets washed so the neighbors dont call the cops for being a blight.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So it turns out the solid motor mounts I had didn't exactly work with my new aluminum block. Had the motor in and out a couple times trying to grind off enough material on the mount to get it to fit.

Also learned its much easier to bolt the mounts to the block first rather than leave them on the sub frame. I couldn't get the passenger motor mount nut loose with the motor in when I first pulled the motor so I just left it on the sub frame. Lesson learned there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Had a thread title idea after listening to some GWAR.

"I MUST USE THE CLUTCH, I CANT KILL YOU ALL WITH MY HANDS"

I mean or not, whatever. WHAT. EVER.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

I did a thing. Sold my '06 C6 and bought a '13 GT with 14k miles. My last 4 cars were all LS powered GM's so I still feel a little dirty getting into a Ford. A couple of car acquaintances in my area have coyotes making crazy power and I couldn't resist any longer. It handles like a truck compared to the vette but it's way more fun.

It has the GT500 axlebacks already and sounds good with just those. Already tinted, lowered it 1.5", Koni yellows all around and a BMR panhard bar and LCA's. Replaced the decklid panel with the RTR one too, I think it looks way cleaner. C/C plates and new wheels and tires are next. Wish I would've had them when I lowered the front.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kommisar posted:

I did a thing. Sold my '06 C6 and bought a '13 GT with 14k miles. My last 4 cars were all LS powered GM's so I still feel a little dirty getting into a Ford. A couple of car acquaintances in my area have coyotes making crazy power and I couldn't resist any longer. It handles like a truck compared to the vette but it's way more fun.

It has the GT500 axlebacks already and sounds good with just those. Already tinted, lowered it 1.5", Koni yellows all around and a BMR panhard bar and LCA's. Replaced the decklid panel with the RTR one too, I think it looks way cleaner. C/C plates and new wheels and tires are next. Wish I would've had them when I lowered the front.

mg]http://i.imgur.com/xCcGWKX.jpg?1[/timg]

mg]http://i.imgur.com/ubVniQz.jpg?2[/timg]

mg]http://i.imgur.com/gOqA55D.png?1[/timg]

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/29LAw6F.jpg?1[/timg]
You dun good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
yes, you did very good but please do not run over pedestrians. We are trying to get away from that meme.