Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Karloff posted:

This is a great tactic, just deny whatever bad thing happens in the movie ever happened at all. I shall use this next time someone challenges my fondness for Spider-Man 3.

Person: But those dance sequences were terrible.

Me: There are no dance sequences.

Person: Yes, there is.

Me: Nope.

Person: There is!

Me: Nope, you're not discussing the movie.

Go to the BVS thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

So is Suicide Squad any good?
It's fine. It feels like two episodes of a p decent, high budget TV show stitched together, but at least they picked two alright episodes. Also Will Smith says many naughties and Jai Courtney is maybe the best he's been since Spartacus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rarity posted:

There's at least one guy who repeatedly comes back to the Suicide Squad thread to make one-word posts about how garbage, awful, terrible it is and gets probated every time.

This should tell you everything you need to know.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If it doesn't, though, that's me endorsing it as a good film.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

This isn't what I'm doing. I honestly don't know what events you're referring to and I've seen the movie a couple times.

I'm not asking for a clip here. But if someone described Spider-Man 3 as having Peter Parking engaging in "over-the-top theatrics," it would be fair to request that they specify "the scene where he dances on the tables to make Mary Jane jealous while on a date with Gwen Stacy" to understand what they're getting at. That's all I'm doing.

Apologies, that comment wasn't aimed at you. To answer your questions:

Lex Luthor's motivations are muddy and obfuscated; whether he has knowledge or an oncoming danger, hates Superman for his power, is generally concerned about what Superman can do, or has some unresolved issues with an abusive father are unclear as all these elements are thrown in but never formulate into a coherent character psychology, as such his plan is a mess of different threads finalizing in the creation of a monster that has no real purpose other than to kill Superman which is something he arranged elsewhere. But I've not seen the Ultimate Edition, perhaps it goes into more detail.

Superman's very existence as a hero breaks civil liberties, but what is especially troubling is him going to other nations and smashing warlords through brick walls. There are rules for this kind of engagement.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Go to the BVS thread!

Okay, see you guys, it's been fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
See you guys in the BVS thread, I hope you mean.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Karloff posted:

Apologies, that comment wasn't aimed at you. To answer your questions:

Lex Luthor's motivations are muddy and obfuscated; whether he has knowledge or an oncoming danger, hates Superman for his power, is generally concerned about what Superman can do, or has some unresolved issues with an abusive father are unclear as all these elements are thrown in but never formulate into a coherent character psychology, as such his plan is a mess of different threads finalizing in the creation of a monster that has no real purpose other than to kill Superman which is something he arranged elsewhere. But I've not seen the Ultimate Edition, perhaps it goes into more detail.

Superman's very existence as a hero breaks civil liberties, but what is especially troubling is him going to other nations and smashing warlords through brick walls. There are rules for this kind of engagement.

Lex Luthor literally sits the audience surrogate down and explains why he hates Superman. He's angry at God for not saving him, so he's going to kill space Jesus.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Karloff posted:

Okay, see you guys, it's been fun.
Be sure to come back occasionally, it was nice to see someone on Bandanaman's side but who is capable of making the argument without being a twat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

I didn't like it. I enjoyed the take on The Joker; thought Will Smith was Will Smithing pretty good but pretty uninterestingly cliched, felt that Harley was about as good as Will Smith.

The other characters were pretty soft and not that neat or boringly underutilized.

Overall, the movie seemed like a summary of an actual movie. Coming off of MoS and BvS it just seemed shallow and boring. On its own it seemed like a mediocre TV show.

I thought the relationship conflict presented between Joker and Harley was actually pretty interesting.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord_Magmar posted:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I guess, but I still don't see what's so wrong about that quote. It seems to me to be a pretty nice quote about the importance of faith in things, even if those things don't necessarily exist in tangible reality we all agree that they exist so that society functions.

It is a very dumb quote/opinion because justice is simply the opposite of injustice. Like for example, the holocaust is a grave injustice.

When we talk about 'justice', we're referring to emancipatory justice, or egalitarian justice, revolutionary justice, etc. Slavery is a real thing and is really unjust. A just society is, concretely, one where slavery is abolished and people who attempt to enslave others are punished.

It's very sad, but noteworthy, that this stuff about "Batsman absolutely doesn't kill, ever!" goes hand in hand with this nonsense about how justice is a "collective societal fantasy", 'nothing is real, it's all relative', etc.

Karloff posted:

Batman. Is. Not. Real.

Such things as crime, technology, death, rich people, police (and so-on) are real. Batman stories are about real things. Our fundamental delusion today is not to take fictions seriously enough.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Our fundamental delusion today is not to take fictions seriously enough.

I was going to take issue with your comment about "nonsense" but my answer would have just been a version of this.

Justice is a fiction, but this does not devalue it, it just forces us to take responsibility for whatever ideals we embrace.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Karloff posted:

This is a great tactic, just deny whatever bad thing happens in the movie ever happened at all. I shall use this next time someone challenges my fondness for Spider-Man 3.

Person: But those dance sequences were terrible.

Me: There are no dance sequences.

Person: Yes, there is.

Me: Nope.

Person: There is!

Me: Nope, you're not discussing the movie.

Actually, the real argument that actually happens with Spider-Man 3 is "Peter Parker is emo." Which is untrue because he joyfully dances on tables, flirts with women, and in general has a good time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It is a very dumb quote/opinion because justice is simply the opposite of injustice. Like for example, the holocaust is a grave injustice.

When we talk about 'justice', we're referring to emancipatory justice, or egalitarian justice, revolutionary justice, etc. Slavery is a real thing and is really unjust. A just society is, concretely, one where slavery is abolished and people who attempt to enslave others are punished.

It's very sad, but noteworthy, that this stuff about "Batsman absolutely doesn't kill, ever!" goes hand in hand with this nonsense about how justice is a "collective societal fantasy", 'nothing is real, it's all relative', etc.

Such things as crime, technology, death, rich people, police (and so-on) are real. Batman stories are about real things. Our fundamental delusion today is not to take fictions seriously enough.

I think you're missing the actual thrust of the quote to be honest. The take away point is that whilst from an outsider's point of view there is no justice in the world, because terrible tragedies still happen, as a human we believe in these ideas of justice, duty and mercy, and in doing so we remain human. Terry Pratchett isn't saying Justice doesn't exist, he's saying people require the idea of justice because it is a part of both society, and a coping mechanism.

As an example it is a grave injustice that people are bullied in school for being different, and we as people attempt to bring justice by punishing those bullies. However those are things people do, we commit injustice and justice, reality just happens. The coping mechanism is that as long as the victim believes justice will come, they're less likely to do something drastic in response.

It's a statement about belief not justice, which I think I may have failed to describe correctly.

I also agree that not taking fiction seriously is a problem, but there is also room for escapist fantasies and stories. Ideally there would be an infinite number of choices so that everybody can find a fiction they enjoy reading/watching/playing.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Karloff posted:

I.... have.... done..... this...... so....... many....... times.

No, you haven't.

Karloff posted:

But once again: The film barely has any conceivable structure making it a thuddingly boring experience, paced so poorly that conflicts are poorly established or not established at all.

This is what you've been saying, which is equivalent to saying it's bad because it's bad, but now you've actually followed it up with something tangible.

Karloff posted:

The main narrative revolves around a bizarre and inccoherent plan by Lex Luthor to destroy Superman, though Luthor himself seems to have multiple different conflicting reasons for doing this, I guess he's just crazy.

Lex Luthor literally gives a speech about Prometheus being struck down for daring to defy God by aligning with humanity.

Karloff posted:

Anyway, Batman is depicted as a violent vigilante who breaks civil liberties, therefore Superman, who is also a violent vigilante who breaks civil liberties, doesn't like him for reasons, I guess he's just crazy.

Karloff posted:

Superman has been depicted being violent when he saves humanity from Zod in Man of Steel and when he saves Lois in the Africa scene, which is the crux of the whole movie. This act was not out of a sense of vigilante justice, but an act of pure love. This distinction is not an accident considering there is a senate committee formed to hold Clark responsible and the media questions the ethics of his interference (Which is all being followed by Bruce Wayne and results in his nightmare about dictator Superman). Clark and Lois then have a serious discussion about Clark's love for Lois poisoning the idea of Superman. He's shown in a montage rescuing people and he never actively goes after criminals.

While Clark is being scrutinized and torn apart in the media, Batman is ignored. Clark is worried about Batman because his vigilantism is rooted around the poor parts of Gotham.

Clark posted:

It's like a one man reign of terror. This bat vigilante has been consistently targeting the port and the adjacent projects and tenements, and as far as I can tell the cops are actually helping him.

Perry, when you assign a story, you're making a choice about who matters ...and who's worth it.

He deduces it's because Batman is targeting the symptoms and not the system, which is why the status quo is not afraid of Batman, and the police are actively helping him. Superman scares people because the Africa incident makes them realize that he can turn on white upper class America. Batman even admits that his past 20 years of work has resulted in no real change. He thinks Superman is far too powerful and detached from humanity to be trusted, and thinks all of his exploits amount to saving cats from trees. Batman finally recognizes his complicity in a broken system when Lex Luthor's power, money and influence have enabled him to skirt punishment and brands the institution itself.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Actually, the real argument that actually happens with Spider-Man 3 is "Peter Parker is emo." Which is untrue because he joyfully dances on tables, flirts with women, and in general has a good time.

A case of poor language use rooted entirely in Peter Parker's haircut.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Suicide Squad was okay, but the flaws were painfully obvious (weird pacing, most of the squad were underdeveloped). Really, the best thing about is that it shows Hollywood that superhero movies with diverse casts can be money-makers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was going to take issue with your comment about "nonsense" but my answer would have just been a version of this.

Justice is a fiction, but this does not devalue it, it just forces us to take responsibility for whatever ideals we embrace.

To be clear though, there is a difference between Batman as a fictional character with verisimilitude, and Justice as a universal Idea that is realized in various particular ways.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KVeezy3 posted:

. Batman even admits that his past 20 years of work has resulted in no real change.

Batman said this at the height of his emotional desperation and tension. Him admitting that was a feeling, not a fact. He feels like he doesn't make a difference sometimes; he makes a difference to the people of Gotham.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's not making the difference he wants to make. That is to say, his plan has some flaws in it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Karloff posted:

I think I can clear up Lex for you. The place where Lex talks about a general concern for what Superman can do is when he's talking to Holly Hunter's senator character, the bit about how if you forge a silver bullet, you don't have to depend on the kindness of monsters. He's full of poo poo there and Holly Hunter calls him on it with the peach tea line. He's not just interested in a theoretical defense, he wants to use it. Him delivering the peach tea to her is him admitting she's right and then demonstrating the consequences of calling him on it. So this is only conflicting in that we should expect a lie to conflict with the truth.

The hatred of Superman for his power is tied into his unresolved issues with his abusive father. His unresolved issues with his abusive father explain his hatred of God and, through that, his hatred of the god-figure Superman. Not a conflict, but rather a cause and effect.

Heroes do not, of course, inherently break civil liberties. What civil liberty is violated by a firefighter, or any person, rescuing someone from a burning building? I don't understand where you're coming from here.

Going to a foreign country to intervene in a conflict is arguably illegal, but I'm not seeing the violation of civil liberties. Superman performs two significant actions: he destroys a missile and its drone to keep Lois from being killed, and then he attacks a man holding a gun to Lois's head who was then, and even before Superman's arrival, threatening to kill her. Governments and objects (e.g., the drone and its owner) do not have civil liberties. And I have trouble seeing what right of the warlord is being infringed by preventing him from killing Lois. We can get into the appropriate use of force, but it doesn't seem fundamentally unjust for Superman to act in defense of another.

So I have to admit, I'm still not seeing in Batman v Superman what you describe. Can you clarify what I'm missing here?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think you're missing the actual thrust of the quote to be honest. The take away point is that whilst from an outsider's point of view there is no justice in the world, because terrible tragedies still happen, as a human we believe in these ideas of justice, duty and mercy, and in doing so we remain human. Terry Pratchett isn't saying Justice doesn't exist, he's saying people require the idea of justice because it is a part of both society, and a coping mechanism.

As an example it is a grave injustice that people are bullied in school for being different, and we as people attempt to bring justice by punishing those bullies. However those are things people do, we commit injustice and justice, reality just happens. The coping mechanism is that as long as the victim believes justice will come, they're less likely to do something drastic in response.

It's a statement about belief not justice, which I think I may have failed to describe correctly.

I also agree that not taking fiction seriously is a problem, but there is also room for escapist fantasies and stories. Ideally there would be an infinite number of choices so that everybody can find a fiction they enjoy reading/watching/playing.

Your problem here is that you're mixing up concepts like truth and fantasy, belief and escapism, idealism, fiction, etc. Pratchet makes the same mistake when talking this 'atom of justice', which is some profoundly stupid reductionism.

That Batman kills people is the truth.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's really not. The quote is pseudo philosophical drivel that doesn't stand up to any critique. The crux of the passage relies on the misunderstanding that if it's not a tangible piece of a matter, then it is inherently a lie. Justice is a theoretical system for distributing fairness: there is no deception there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

KVeezy3 posted:

No, you haven't.

He did, more than once. It's not his fault you just didn't read it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Karloff was tricked by the lie that the senator saw through.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I just made up in my head all the posts of people saying that Batman having a no-kill rule is totally unrealistic and that a realistic Batman would kill? To say nothing of the people that come out and claim that Batman has always killed and its weird to expect him to have a no-kill rule. Man I should probably see a doctor. And let's be clear, if you are OK with Batman killing people, you are condoning the act of killing.

You made up a world in which people are "cheering" for Batman to kill people. In reality, we're horrified by the premise of the Caped Crusader.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KVeezy3 posted:

The crux of the passage relies on the misunderstanding that if it's not a tangible piece of a matter, then it is inherently a lie. Justice is a theoretical system for distributing fairness: there is no deception there.

You haven't actually read the book, have you?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You haven't actually read the book, have you?

No, please explain to me what I have missed. There is no sarcasm here.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Karloff posted:

I think the desire to have Batman kill is a result of the need to have something one loved as a child legitimized as an adult thing, so that the now adult fascination with a children's comic book character can be done so without shame. In a sense "guys, I like Batman, but... but.... Batman's totally adult now, look he kills people". I said that Batman not killing makes no sense with the texture of the character as presented, as he uses non lethal weaponry, and has a roster of returning villains, which you can't have if you straight up end them. To use your examples; Luke Skywalker, John McClane and Neo exist in their own fictional worlds with their own contexts and have different functionalities to Batman, they are not immediately comparable simply by the virtue of being fictional characters.

You've got the situation mixed up. You don't have a problem with other popular characters who kill because Batman represents a particular fetish for violence and police brutality that you want to feel gratification from without guilt, and non-lethality is the proof that you're not a bad person. The no-killing rule is like a safeword. Put on the suit. Punch him. Harder. Don't kill him!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KVeezy3 posted:

For context, the character who made the "atoms of justice" quote is the personification of death, whose entire existence relies on humanity's ability to believe in abstract concepts even though that's something he can't do himself (which is why he has such a clumsy way of articulating himself around the subject). One of the central themes of the novel is that belief in abstract concepts is absolutely crucial to the human condition and if someone was to somehow stop people from believing in them, even if it was only a dumb childish concept like Santa Claus/The Hogfather, that would have severe repercussions on our humanness. When Death says "Humans need fantasy to be human" and "You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" he's not being condescending, that's just how the process of being human appears to a non-human entity.

The villains of the novel are entities called The Auditors who are also incapable of believing in abstract concepts (at one point they disassemble a painting into its component colors to try and discover the 'beauty' inside it) but who are trying to force the universe to conform to their viewpoint.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

KVeezy3 posted:

the whole "find me a grain of justice" speech is given in response to the protagonist saying that believing in the setting's version of Santa is bullshit because he doesn't actually cause the sun to come up or give people smoked meat products in return for good behavior, and calling people stupid for spending their time believing in nonsense like a pagan pigman sho maybe doesn't exist in a real sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
To be very specific, Bruce Wayne is a liberal - that's what the character stands for. In the Dark Knight films specifically, he's a more-liberal version of liberal vigilante Paul Kersey from Death Wish 1 (a version who's stronger on gun control, etc.).

When we talk about escapist fantasy, we're talking about specific ideological fantasies like 'if we ban guns there will be no violence', and so-on. The truth is that billionaire Wayne's exploitation is more violent than any gun can be.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
I've always thought of Batman as a 'law and order' right winger. He's a billionaire beating up poor people to restore order.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Stacks posted:

I've always thought of Batman as a 'law and order' right winger. He's a billionaire beating up poor people to restore order.

beating up noted poor people, like The Penguin, the Joker, and Catwoman

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

HIJK posted:

beating up noted poor people, like The Penguin, the Joker, and Catwoman

He'd beat up a mouthy gutter-punk like you!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BvS exists so that film students can practise using obscure theory nobody cares about to defend an inherently bad movie long enough for everyone to get bored

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stacks posted:

He's gone after the richest crime families in Gotham as often as he's gone after the lowest level street thug. The beating up poor people meme is just that - our country's forceful effort to equate a lack of a job with laziness and criminality rather than gentrification and upperclass capitalist domination.

And most of the criminals in Gotham have a few bank robberies or human trafficking deals under their belt at the least, so Batman mostly preys upon the modestly successful middle-class.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 21, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stacks posted:

He'd beat up a mouthy gutter-punk like you!

HIJK's more likely to win the lottery than to run into Batman.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Schwarzwald posted:

HIJK's more likely to win the lottery than to run into Batman.

Maybe I'm actually Batman. You've never seen us in the same room, have you?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Stacks posted:

This reminds me of the 2012 election and people debating whether Dark Knight Rises was supposed to equating Mitt Romney with Batman or Bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For context, the character who made the "atoms of justice" quote is the personification of death, whose entire existence relies on humanity's ability to believe in abstract concepts even though that's something he can't do himself (which is why he has such a clumsy way of articulating himself around the subject). One of the central themes of the novel is that belief in abstract concepts is absolutely crucial to the human condition and if someone was to somehow stop people from believing in them, even if it was only a dumb childish concept like Santa Claus/The Hogfather, that would have severe repercussions on our humanness. When Death says "Humans need fantasy to be human" and "You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" he's not being condescending, that's just how the process of being human appears to a non-human entity.

The villains of the novel are entities called The Auditors who are also incapable of believing in abstract concepts (at one point they disassemble a painting into its component colors to try and discover the 'beauty' inside it) but who are trying to force the universe to conform to their viewpoint.

Not believing in abstract concepts is a stupid idea. The idea of the self, the individual soul, is an illusion that is just an abstract concept. If Death believes he is the personification of death, then he already believes he is an abstract concept.

• Locked thread