Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm a non-resident, US-citizen. I've been filing tax reports for a few years and I have a bank account in the US with around 10k in it. All of my income is foreign.

My tax residence is abroad, my bank account residence is in Florida (sister's apartment).

I tried getting a free credit report, but all three providers error out. Experian's site claims that foreign residents can't get their credit score online and have to mail-in a form. That's fine, I can do that.

My concern is, am I absolutely hosed with building up my credit? Will anyone trying to get my credit score basically always run into the same problem?

Will applying for a secured credit card help out or is this problem basically unsolvable unless my tax residence is in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm a non-resident, US-citizen. I've been filing tax reports for a few years and I have a bank account in the US with around 10k in it. All of my income is foreign.

My tax residence is abroad, my bank account residence is in Florida (sister's apartment).

I tried getting a free credit report, but all three providers error out. Experian's site claims that foreign residents can't get their credit score online and have to mail-in a form. That's fine, I can do that.

My concern is, am I absolutely hosed with building up my credit? Will anyone trying to get my credit score basically always run into the same problem?

Will applying for a secured credit card help out or is this problem basically unsolvable unless my tax residence is in the US?

No first hand experience here, but getting a free credit report (without a prior credit denial) is a US law for US citizens, so they probably just don't want to give you one for free, and don't have to. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give one to a paying customer looking to pull your credit. They might not have much a a file for you, since bank accounts don't report to the bureaus.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
So, I've read over and over how paying your mortgage twice a month saves you time/interest/money. However I called my mortgage company and they said "yea we don't do this, you have to take care of this on your own, and any gently caress ups are on you". So how does one does this? Given that PITI is rolled into a mortgage payment, how does one pay their mortgage(lets assume a 1000$ PITI payment) correctly to avoid late fees, etc?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You submit a standard payment, and then a separate principle payment?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

lord1234 posted:

So, I've read over and over how paying your mortgage twice a month saves you time/interest/money. However I called my mortgage company and they said "yea we don't do this, you have to take care of this on your own, and any gently caress ups are on you". So how does one does this? Given that PITI is rolled into a mortgage payment, how does one pay their mortgage(lets assume a 1000$ PITI payment) correctly to avoid late fees, etc?

I would call your mortgage servicer again and ask their suggestion for the best way to pay extra principle. From my experience in mortgage servicing I would suggest paying your full payment at the beginning of the month, and then sending 1 or 2 smaller payments later in the month. By making the extra principle payments smaller than your monthly payment you should hopefully avoid having them take it as next month's payment. If that happens they can usually fix it, but it's a pain.

Also some banks let you setup recurring principle payments via their online portal. But they usually reserve the right to take that money and apply it to a payment if you haven't made your monthly payment. So I would suggest scheduling those payments to debit after your monthly payment debits.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just put half my monthly payment biweekly into a separate Cap360 account and pay the mortgage from that. At the end of the year I write a check for the remaining balance to my loan company. Seems to work the best with minimal fuss.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FCKGW posted:

I just put half my monthly payment biweekly into a separate Cap360 account and pay the mortgage from that. At the end of the year I write a check for the remaining balance to my loan company. Seems to work the best with minimal fuss.
This, and then setup the auto draft for the mortgage to be the amount you actually want to pay. Or setup a monthly billpay for the additional amount if your servicer has a crappy auto draft interface.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Why not just pay the minimums on a presumably low-interest, tax-friendly loan and keep the extra in a different savings / appreciation vehicle?

Obviously you're not COMPLETELY risk-off, or you'd be going minimums + cash. So if you're partial risk-on, why not other, better return options?

Fiscal robot beep boop

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I haven't banked any of the cheques from my internship this summer, so I've got about $20k ready to put into an account. Can anyone recommend me a cheque or savings account that has the best signing bonus?

I'd been holding the cheques because an investment advisor at Citibank told me I could get a $400 signup bonus for depositing more than 15 grand, and I figured that was better than the pathetic amount of interest that US banks give in the cheque and savings accounts (coming from Australia where ~5% APR is standard, I had to hold back tears/laughter when the investment advisor tried to present 0.1% APR as a "feature" of the account) that I'd get for an immediate deposit. Anyway, I looked at the fine print and figured out I'm not actually eligible due to a previous account I've had there, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I need to have access to it at anytime for family medical reasons, so investment options that are riskier, longer term or that lock my money away for some period of time aren't doable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I think Chase is doing $500 bonus for $15,000 new account deposit. Double check if it needs a direct deposit attached to it in the terms.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think Chase is doing $500 bonus for $15,000 new account deposit. Double check if it needs a direct deposit attached to it in the terms.

Chase is doing $250 for opening a checking with $25 plus direct deposit. They're also offering $150 for a savings with $15,000, and a bonus $100 if you do both, so $500 total.

You have to leave it open and funded with all $15,025 for six months or every penny is forfeit.

You also have to get the coupon in the mail. They're targeting select people/neighborhoods.

If you have that option, do it, and in 6 months move it all to discoverbank.com or some other online savings offering ~1%.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I archive all my mail, and just found two of these Chase offers. Both expired last month unfortunately. Hopefully I'll receive another, or can procure one. Regardless, Chase does indeed seem to have the best offer aside from Citibank, even without the coupon. Thanks.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Arcanen posted:

I archive all my mail, and just found two of these Chase offers. Both expired last month unfortunately. Hopefully I'll receive another, or can procure one. Regardless, Chase does indeed seem to have the best offer aside from Citibank, even without the coupon. Thanks.

Make sure those checks do not have an unexpected date they must be cashed by. Generally checks are good for 6 months and afterwards they are stale dated and could be rejected by the bank but some companies will include a restriction, only valid for 90 days from issuance for example.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

How old is your oldest check? I know some banks refuse to pay up on checks as little as 90 days after issue. More common is 180 days, but still it's not great to just sit on checks for months.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Where are you interning that pays 20k in take home over a Summer, but doesn't have direct deposit?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

-whooosps-

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Where are you interning that pays 20k in take home over a Summer, but doesn't have direct deposit?

Bitcoin startup.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Hey BFC goons, I’m unfortunately completely new to proper budgeting and medium-term financial planning, so I need someone to take a look at this and tell me if it looks reasonable and doable and if I need to change something about my approach. :)

Situation: Student, musician, 23, living together with gf, current balance: €115 in one bank account, no standard debt*, starting a job in September

*In three and a half years I have to start paying back an interest-free government education loan, which technically amounts to about €19,000, but the maximum amount they can actually demand from me is a total of €10,000 in €105 monthly rates. If I pay back larger amounts at once, the total sum gets even much smaller.

Fixed Income (before tax):

+ €1,371/month (teaching guitar on 1.5 days/week)

Expected additional Income:

5-10 gigs next year for each between + €200-400, so + €1000-4000/year

Expenses (all monthly, rounded up generously):

Rent/Heating/Water: - €210

Income tax: - €165-235 (depending on how much I earn)

Electricity: - €20

Internet: - €17

Phone: - €30

Groceries: - €150

Guitar maintenance: - €25

Commuting: - €132

Health Insurance: - €86

Restaurants: - €50

Clothing: - €30

Other Insurances: - €10

Other: - €60

Total: - €975-1055/month

Total expected monthly balance + €396-649

There are some upcoming bigger expenses: Video editing laptop (1500-2000 by Jan 2017), Australia journey (3000 in Jan 2018), new guitar (6000-9000 in late 2018 or early 2019). I’m able to sell an old guitar I don’t use for about €2500 if necessary and my current guitar is worth ~ €6000, but I'm trying to keep her if possible.

In September 2017 I will head for earning about €1,800 per month from teaching, while probably moving to a slightly more expensive apartment at some point in the next two years.

My general approach is trying to cover everything just with the reliable teaching income and think of the money I get from concert fees as a bonus I can use for fun stuff. The teaching income is theoretically expandable to about €5900/month before tax in the next 5-7 years and I have potential income opportunities from playing concerts and working as a recording engineer for other musicians, both things theoretically able to earn me several thousand euros per year if maintained properly.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Hi thread, I'm a moron and procrastinated on building any sort of credit history over the last 10 years. Last month I finally got a babby's first credit card through my new credit union ($500 limit, 18.4% APR). I intend to pay it off in full every month, and have it set up to make automatic payments from my checking. I'm interested in opening up another credit card or two, so I have more credit available/have another card for an emergency. Couple questions:

1.) How long (if at all?) should I wait before applying for another credit card?

2.) What kind of time-frame should I expect before I can increase the credit limit/lower the APR on my existing card?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Hi thread, I'm a moron and procrastinated on building any sort of credit history over the last 10 years. Last month I finally got a babby's first credit card through my new credit union ($500 limit, 18.4% APR). I intend to pay it off in full every month, and have it set up to make automatic payments from my checking. I'm interested in opening up another credit card or two, so I have more credit available/have another card for an emergency. Couple questions:

1.) How long (if at all?) should I wait before applying for another credit card?

2.) What kind of time-frame should I expect before I can increase the credit limit/lower the APR on my existing card?

1.) Among other things, I'd wait until you actually need another credit card.

2.) I'm not totally sure, but I think they do like annual evaluations of your "performance". So, if you're using the card and paying it off in full, you'll probably see your stats improve around that time frame. You can also always call a service rep and ask if you're eligible for a higher limit.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Honj Steak posted:

Hey BFC goons, I’m unfortunately completely new to proper budgeting and medium-term financial planning, so I need someone to take a look at this and tell me if it looks reasonable and doable and if I need to change something about my approach. :)
Looks good; start saving more. If you and your gf break up, how hosed are you on rent? I would probably try to spin off jobs to get some more side income going with either private lessons or more gigs.

1) I would apply for another card as soon as possible, but where would you get it?
2) Ask in six months, but you shouldn't give two shits about an APR since you are ALWAYS going to pay that card off, right? I have never ever once cared about APR on a CC and neither should you.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Thanks for the reply! My line of thinking was that I needed another card now, since I can't predict needing it for an emergency. My concern was that applying for another card so soon after the first one would get me rejected, or some god-awful predatory rates.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
In March 2015, I had no cards and some missed payments on my credit history. I got the Capital One Journey card in April, Amex Everyday in June, then the Chase Slate and Freedom later on in the year.

Discover rejected me a few times for the It card before offering me some crappy card with no rewards that accrues interest starting at the transaction date, so screw them.

This year I got the Fidelity Visa with 2% cash rewards. It's like the Citi Double Cash, so applying for a bunch of cards does not necessarily preclude you from getting ones with good rewards. Just keep in mind all the hard credit pulls.

Unless you're planning to carry a balance, which you should avoid as much as possible, card interest rate doesn't matter much.

VV: this guy

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 26, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Unless you're planning to carry a balance, which you should avoid as much as possible, card interest rate doesn't matter much at all.
ftfy

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I should probably start replying to some of the bajillion credit card offers I get per month. I also have bad credit, because I went bankrupt shortly after finishing college :v:. My credit score is actually pretty average, but everybody looks at the bankruptcy and goes "nope". I got my current apartment because the landlady didn't run a credit check (I assume, since she never got my social security number), which is how you get mice.

Anyway, I do get a lot of capital one offers and stuff. I'm kinda holding out to see if they're gonna offer me a product without an annual fee, because gently caress paying an annual fee if I'm not getting airline miles or something. That said, now that I make a decent income and have a stable life, it wouldn't hurt me to build up some credit score by just using a credit card to pay monthly expenses and groceries, and then just pay that off every month. It's money I would be spending anyway.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I have seen some truly horrific offers in the mail. I wouldn't respond to any of those and instead seek out the ones you want.

One card offer was $500 limit, $75 annual fee off the top, increasing to something like $150 following years, $10 monthly maintenance fee, no rewards, interest accruing at transaction date. I think that's part of how people get so screwed up with credit.

AFAIK, the Credit Karma promoted ones aren't too bad, NerdWallet used to be good, but I guess they were bought out by someone and now push some questionable cards.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Moneyball posted:

I have seen some truly horrific offers in the mail. I wouldn't respond to any of those and instead seek out the ones you want.
I'm a big proponent of https://www.optoutprescreen.com. I miss out on the targeted offers I'd qualify for now, but the massive reduction in junk mail is worth it. My current online opt-out should expire in a year or so (it's good for 5 years at a time), so maybe I'll look at the offers that come in for a month or so and consider churning something. Afterwards I'll probably opt-out again.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

moana posted:

Looks good; start saving more. If you and your gf break up, how hosed are you on rent? I would probably try to spin off jobs to get some more side income going with either private lessons or more gigs.

She moved into my place only a few months ago, so I was able to get by in it alone with much less income. Breakup is fortunately very unlikely, we're both super committed and comfortable living together (and even playing music together for a living :) ). Yes, I need to work more and save that additional income asap. Hate the feeling of not having a buffer. I'm going to start looking into a savings account, unfortunately interest rates are almost non-existent in Europe at the moment. What's the recommended way to save for small incomes?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

deadly_pudding posted:

I should probably start replying to some of the bajillion credit card offers I get per month. I also have bad credit, because I went bankrupt shortly after finishing college :v:. My credit score is actually pretty average, but everybody looks at the bankruptcy and goes "nope". I got my current apartment because the landlady didn't run a credit check (I assume, since she never got my social security number), which is how you get mice.
Mice?! Send a letter to your landlord. Depending on the state, you have done recourse... And solving a mouse problem isn't hard up front. Its a real bitch down the road though.

deadly_pudding posted:

Anyway, I do get a lot of capital one offers and stuff. I'm kinda holding out to see if they're gonna offer me a product without an annual fee, because gently caress paying an annual fee if I'm not getting airline miles or something. That said, now that I make a decent income and have a stable life, it wouldn't hurt me to build up some credit score by just using a credit card to pay monthly expenses and groceries, and then just pay that off every month. It's money I would be spending anyway.
I would do the "open a card, put monthly expenses on it, and pay it off" thing. I did this a few years ago. I make a fair amount from cash back and don't pay interest and my credit score has increased a good bit. And now I have over 6 figures in high interest debt possibilities! Crazy the various banks collectively extend roughly 2x my gross salary to me (AmEx alone extending 1x, Chase about 0.6x)... But do some research into the mailed offers. Some are garbage, some are good.

Honj Steak posted:

She moved into my place only a few months ago, so I was able to get by in it alone with much less income. Breakup is fortunately very unlikely, we're both super committed and comfortable living together (and even playing music together for a living :) ). Yes, I need to work more and save that additional income asap. Hate the feeling of not having a buffer. I'm going to start looking into a savings account, unfortunately interest rates are almost non-existent in Europe at the moment. What's the recommended way to save for small incomes?
A simple savings account is what you want to start with. In the US, I get 1% at Ally, and 0.05% at my credit union! 1% is nice and an online account is very easy but I'd take 0.05% if that is all I could find. Savings is good.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Thanks for the reply! My line of thinking was that I needed another card now, since I can't predict needing it for an emergency. My concern was that applying for another card so soon after the first one would get me rejected, or some god-awful predatory rates.
A) Just like in dating, the worst they can say is no. B) Rates don't matter, fees matter.

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm kinda holding out to see if they're gonna offer me a product without an annual fee, because gently caress paying an annual fee if I'm not getting airline miles or something.
Agreed, gently caress annual fees, check the credit card recommendation thread and don't just rely on prescreened offers imo.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

How old is your oldest check? I know some banks refuse to pay up on checks as little as 90 days after issue. More common is 180 days, but still it's not great to just sit on checks for months.

Yeah, I checked on my first payment (which is always via check) to make sure this is viable. 180 days, so it's not an issue.

quote:

Deliberately didn't sign up for direct deposit in order to be able to do this more easily. It's a lot easier to keep and deposit checks than it is to transfer the amount of money required to hit these signup bonuses.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Thanks for the help and perspective, I'll be checking out the credit card thread. :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I remember reading this somewhere, but what's the general consensus on how to handle a windfall? I've got several thousand coming in sometime in September.

1: How much should I reasonably spend for fun? Was it 10%?

2: If you have a lot of credit card debt, is it okay to pay down some of the debt as part of a month's salary in reserve?

I have $5,600 in credit card debt at 20%, about $20,000 in student loans at 3. something and 6.something depending on the particular loan, and $1300 debt from a hospital visit at about 6%.

I make ~$2350 per month, plus my wife's art commissions. I don't have a copy of my budget handy. I'm going to have about $3500 from the settlement after I pay my in-laws for a wedding expense and my ex-roommate for her share of the deposit. I definitely want to put a month's income in the bank for a cushion, right now I have nothing due to being BWM and unemployed for 5 months.

E: Income is post-tax, but I didn't think about tax on the settlement. How do I find that out, what form do I use? Is that due with the rest of my income tax? I'm expecting a return, so I want to calculate how much to hold on to for taxes after that.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 29, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I remember reading this somewhere, but what's the general consensus on how to handle a windfall? I've got several thousand coming in sometime in September.

1: How much should I reasonably spend for fun? Was it 10%?

2: If you have a lot of credit card debt, is it okay to pay down some of the debt as part of a month's salary in reserve?

I have $5,600 in credit card debt at 20%, about $20,000 in student loans at 3. something and 6.something depending on the particular loan, and $1300 debt from a hospital visit at about 6%.

I make ~$2350 per month, plus my wife's art commissions. I don't have a copy of my budget handy. I'm going to have about $3500 from the settlement after I pay my in-laws for a wedding expense and my ex-roommate for her share of the deposit. I definitely want to put a month's income in the bank for a cushion, right now I have nothing due to being BWM and unemployed for 5 months.

The "general consensus" is no more than 20% of a windfall on discretionary. If you have more than 5k in high-interest debt (CC) I'd consider paying down all or as much as you can. Having an emergency fund is good, but the opportunity cost of sitting all of that down in a checking account means that it would technically be costing you money to park it in there.

It sounds like you were just hired to a new job. If you think you're going to be fine for the next couple of months, then I would pay the 20% interest debt ASAP. You have a decent salary, so unless your fixed expenses are large (from living in SF or DC) then you should be fine for the month or two it takes to pay off the CC after the settlement fund. I'd be very disciplined for the next several paychecks and knock out the CC debt as soon as you can. The other debts can be handled more long-term. The CC debt is costing you around $1.2k a year to hold.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We have a lot of expenses (including medical), so after everything we have about $60 going to savings. I'm going to try cutting down internet by cancelling Comcast and resubscribing at the introductory rate, maybe cutting Netflix too.

Two big things I forgot to mention: I'm still in deferment for my student loans, and in a couple months we're going to be spending $285 every two weeks to two months on an experimental treatment that insurance doesn't cover.

Once I get on full time rather than as a W-2 contractor, I'll be making more, but I'll also be paying for our health insurance and getting more withheld. On the other hand we won't be paying nearly as much for a prescription that her insurance currently doesn't cover. That's assuming I don't jump ship to a better paying gig after the contract is up in December (which I want to, depending on how much of a raise I could get). We're also hoping that after she starts this treatment she'll be able to work. Currently she is way too unstable to hold down a job, which is wall she does now is art.

So basically starting in December, I have no idea what our finances are going to look like. I also might need to save some money for the treatments.

If I paid down my loan by one month's worth of everything that can be paid by credit card, I think I can get rid of about $1300. Maybe 2300 depending on if the doctors take credit cards.

Would it seem reasonable to spend $150 on a nice anniversary dinner in October, put one month's rent/utilities into that account, and the rest into the card for emergencies? That would clear up $40/mo from my minimum payment to put towards the treatments.

I'm concerned that if all my cushion was in the card that I might start using it when something big goes wrong, but after that my standards of big might start slipping. Should I leave a bit in the bank to prevent that?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We have a lot of expenses (including medical), so after everything we have about $60 going to savings. I'm going to try cutting down internet by cancelling Comcast and resubscribing at the introductory rate, maybe cutting Netflix too.

Two big things I forgot to mention: I'm still in deferment for my student loans, and in a couple months we're going to be spending $285 every two weeks to two months on an experimental treatment that insurance doesn't cover.

Once I get on full time rather than as a W-2 contractor, I'll be making more, but I'll also be paying for our health insurance and getting more withheld. On the other hand we won't be paying nearly as much for a prescription that her insurance currently doesn't cover. That's assuming I don't jump ship to a better paying gig after the contract is up in December (which I want to, depending on how much of a raise I could get). We're also hoping that after she starts this treatment she'll be able to work. Currently she is way too unstable to hold down a job, which is wall she does now is art.

So basically starting in December, I have no idea what our finances are going to look like. I also might need to save some money for the treatments.

If I paid down my loan by one month's worth of everything that can be paid by credit card, I think I can get rid of about $1300. Maybe 2300 depending on if the doctors take credit cards.

Would it seem reasonable to spend $150 on a nice anniversary dinner in October, put one month's rent/utilities into that account, and the rest into the card for emergencies? That would clear up $40/mo from my minimum payment to put towards the treatments.

I'm concerned that if all my cushion was in the card that I might start using it when something big goes wrong, but after that my standards of big might start slipping. Should I leave a bit in the bank to prevent that?

Wow, that is a lot of additional information that dramatically changes things. Let's take this one thing at a time:

1) What are your fixed expenses that take almost 100% of your paycheck? Can you cut them down in any way? Does your current income not cover your basic expenses and minimum debt service?

2) What is your medical issue that is so expensive and can this experimental treatment be delayed until you become a full-time employee?

3) Yes, you CAN do what you suggested, but I would again remind you that parking the money in your checking account costs you around $1.2k a year in interest alone.

4) It's fine to splurge a little on entertainment and anniversaries but cut the anniversary dinner to $50 instead of $150. I'd keep Netflix as it is a small monthly cost and provides a great amount of entertainment value.

5) What is your girlfriend's income from art sales? What do you mean she is too unstable to have a job of any kind? Is it a mental or physical issue? Anxiety / Depression all have generic medication you can get for $9 a month from Giant Pharmacy or Wal-Mart prescription savings plans. Is this experimental treatment something a doctor recommended?

6) You really need to get a budget and stick to it. Track what you spend. If you are worried that paying down debt will just free you up to use more debt, that is a problem with your spending / discipline. Not paying down your debt will not fix this. I would strongly advise you to pay off the high-interest debt ASAP and discipline yourself. Technically, you will have access to this money whether it is freed up in a checking account or a credit card, but freeing up the credit card prevents interest payments.

You might want to make your own thread or at least post a breakdown of your expenses and where you live. Depending on where you live and if your girlfriend can get a job, you should be able to work your way out of this over time without too much of an issue.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok so does checking credit karma frequently effect my score negatively in anyway? Seeing some conflicting info

As mentioned, no - but it's good to understand why.

Basically, the reason inquiries are tracked as part of your credit score is that it's risky behavior (for a bank considering lending to you) if you're applying for a ton of credit at once. That can signal a financial emergency that might impact your ability to repay any money you borrow.

So, when you specifically apply for credit, the bank requests a credit report that's tagged as a "hard inquiry" or "hard pull." That goes on your credit report with a lifetime of two years (and, incidentally, can be disputed like anything else on there). When agencies calculate your credit score, they apply a non-linear factor so that you're free to shop around for a few mortgage offers or apply for a couple different credit cards over a year or two without any major impact, but it hits hard if you apply in ten places over two weeks or something. This is why people worry about the impact of checking their credit.

But, there are plenty of reasons why you'd have a credit check without actually applying for credit. It might be from you, via something like annualcreditreport or Credit Karma, or it might be from some marketer screening pre-approved offers or just trying to target people based on credit score. That's done with a "soft pull," which isn't recorded on your credit report and which can't affect your credit score.

So, to sum up: it should always be safe to check your credit via any kind of monitoring service. Only the pulls from actually applying for new credit will impact your credit score.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wow, that is a lot of additional information that dramatically changes things. Let's take this one thing at a time:

1) What are your fixed expenses that take almost 100% of your paycheck? Can you cut them down in any way? Does your current income not cover your basic expenses and minimum debt service?

From a rough draft of the budget and what I know we changed:

$1020/mo rent and utilities
$69.99/mo internet (going to try to cut this down)
$44.88/mo hospital loan
$68 car insurance (going to shop around, but I need to get renter's insurance so it might not be much lower)
~$300 prescriptions
$140 credit card

This doesn't include stuff like car repairs, gas, pet costs, or doctor visits.

quote:

2) What is your medical issue that is so expensive and can this experimental treatment be delayed until you become a full-time employee?

Depression/anxiety/bipolar. She spent pretty much all of late September to May in and out of suicidal levels of depression. It's heavily seasonal, but still bad enough year round that she has a hard time reliably getting to work.

quote:

3) Yes, you CAN do what you suggested, but I would again remind you that parking the money in your checking account costs you around $1.2k a year in interest alone.

I would probably only put a couple hundred in there, almost all of it would be into the card.

quote:

4) It's fine to splurge a little on entertainment and anniversaries but cut the anniversary dinner to $50 instead of $150. I'd keep Netflix as it is a small monthly cost and provides a great amount of entertainment value.

I'll try cutting that down. We can just go to our favorite gastropub instead of a steakhouse.

quote:

5) What is your girlfriend's income from art sales? What do you mean she is too unstable to have a job of any kind? Is it a mental or physical issue? Anxiety / Depression all have generic medication you can get for $9 a month from Giant Pharmacy or Wal-Mart prescription savings plans. Is this experimental treatment something a doctor recommended?

About $240 to $300 per month so far since she started doing a lot of commissions. We haven't put that into the budget yet, her dad suggested putting maybe $120 into the budget for that and the rest goes into debt reduction or savings in case of slow months.

She has been going to the best psychiatrist in town for years. She even tried ECT. All that has worked without potentially fatal side effects is Latuda, which her insurance doesn't cover. Thankfully that one is being taken care of, the expensive medication is Vyvanse. She tried Adderall, it didn't work nearly as well. The experimental treatment is our last hope for not having to move out of state, away from our entire support system.

quote:

6) You really need to get a budget and stick to it. Track what you spend. If you are worried that paying down debt will just free you up to use more debt, that is a problem with your spending / discipline. Not paying down your debt will not fix this. I would strongly advise you to pay off the high-interest debt ASAP and discipline yourself. Technically, you will have access to this money whether it is freed up in a checking account or a credit card, but freeing up the credit card prevents interest payments.

I'm not worried about running it up again, as long as I don't start using it unless poo poo really hits the fan. That's why I want to keep a few hundred in reserve for smaller emergencies.

quote:

You might want to make your own thread or at least post a breakdown of your expenses and where you live. Depending on where you live and if your girlfriend can get a job, you should be able to work your way out of this over time without too much of an issue.

I might start my own thread, or at least post my budget in here once we add her income to the budget.

The good news is that my career has a chance to really take off soon. I'm in IT supposedly doing help desk stuff, but I'm basically doing junior administrator work a lot of the time so I could realistically jump up $10-15000 per year to $43-48 or even $50,000 per year with my next move. That's assuming I can't leverage my AS and new scripting skills into a junior developer position that should pay around $60,000.

I have to move slowly in changing anything about our budget, though. This is the first time my wife has ever shown initiative in finances, and I don't want to discourage her by coming across too strong in suggesting changes. I'm pretty bad with people, I come across as an rear end in a top hat easily so I have to be careful about that.

E: for reference, staying at this job I would be surprised if I went over $40,000. I'm also having no federal withholdings due to school costs before I graduated this May. I should have mentioned that explicitly when I said I would have more withholdings next year.

Even more stuff I forgot: I treat 4 weeks as a month. That way if there's a holiday or I get sick, there's some leeway built in. Maybe I'll put any extra towards the credit card unless I have to replenish that 2-300 I'm thinking of keeping in checking.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 29, 2016

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello everyone, I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm in California, if that matters at all.

I'm filling out an application for an apartment, and they want to know if I have a job or if I'm self-employed, which I'm not really sure how to answer. I work for a consulting company, mostly doing work from home, and occasionally attending events/meetings. There's no office to work out of, or set hours I need to work. I just report my hours and my boss cuts me a check for that amount. I haven't filled out any paperwork with him or his company, so does that mean I'm self-employed?

They want a profit & losses statement from self-employed individuals, but I'm not really sure how to make one. Seeing as my work consists of mostly sitting at home, or occasionally attending meetings, I don't really have any related expenses to report. Are expenses that I pay (ie gas to drive somewhere for work) considered business expenses? Is my car considered a "business vehicle?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

literally this big posted:

Hello everyone, I have a question I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm in California, if that matters at all.

I'm filling out an application for an apartment, and they want to know if I have a job or if I'm self-employed, which I'm not really sure how to answer. I work for a consulting company, mostly doing work from home, and occasionally attending events/meetings. There's no office to work out of, or set hours I need to work. I just report my hours and my boss cuts me a check for that amount. I haven't filled out any paperwork with him or his company, so does that mean I'm self-employed?

They want a profit & losses statement from self-employed individuals, but I'm not really sure how to make one. Seeing as my work consists of mostly sitting at home, or occasionally attending meetings, I don't really have any related expenses to report. Are expenses that I pay (ie gas to drive somewhere for work) considered business expenses? Is my car considered a "business vehicle?"

Who is withholding the taxes on your income, you or the business? Just go with that.

If neither then you have another problem.