Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Okan170 posted:

Submitting Bourbon, Martinis and Musicals.

I didn't know Gilbert and Sullivan were American?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
As a filthy 3rd worlder, I think America is pretty great. Gershwin, Joplin, brownies, lightbulbs, Michael Dell and Bill Gates - thank you!

It's a Grand Central Station where all the world can connect to make new and awesome things.

Like all new countries, its got some major growing pains. And like all rich assholes, America's problems mean problems for the rest of us.

But as much as we hate the America personalised by people like Donald Trump and Ryan Lochte, the America of Barack Obama and Anthony Bourdain is pretty awesome.

Now if you guys could just get rid of crippling income inequality, explicit racism and candy corn, things would be pretty close to perfect!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Okan170 posted:

Submitting Bourbon

Full stop

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wyldhoney posted:

... candy corn, ....

At first I was going to say "thanks for the kind words :buddy:" but now I think you're a barbarian.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gershowitz is good, but when you remember he wanted to legitimize Jazz by making it more white bread palatable and suitable for someone's piani recital he's just standing on the shoulders of virtuoso giants.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Barbecue
FrEd Rogers
Noble Prize winners
Grand Canyon
THe moon landing
SesAme Street
JazZ
AIr Bud

Edit: Goddammit. I spent all that time on the formatting.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Someone found one of Trump's volunteer "election observers":

https://twitter.com/jackbgoode1/status/766827980840505344

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Trevor Hale posted:

code:

Barbecue
 FrEd Rogers
   Noble Prize winners
   Grand Canyon
  THe moon landing
SesAme Street
JazZ
  AIr Bud

Edit: Goddammit. I spent all that time on the formatting.

Gotta use a code block for that. It'll also make it a monospace font.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 22, 2016

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Not sure if I'd want to live anywhere else to be honest. Maybe Norway, or some other Scandinavian country. Far less poverty and the existence of proper safety nets make the prospect of taking risks to achieve your dreams far more palatable...you know, rather than becoming homeless.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
My dad is arzying over Ailes possibly getting Trump's message game on point, what can I say to assuage his fears?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

BearDrivingTruck posted:

My dad is arzying over Ailes possibly getting Trump's message game on point, what can I say to assuage his fears?

Any plan that involves Trump getting back on message will always involve Trump, ergo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Donald Trump is a clinical narcissist who will chafe at any attempt to make him say or do something that he perceives to be "weak." This conflicts with any and allattempts to getting him to stay "on message."

Also I wish my dad was liberal. :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BearDrivingTruck posted:

"Lol nothing matters"

Or must point out that the problem all along has been Trump himself. What can Ailes possibly do.

Note: my phone tried to autocorrect Ailes to Failed :laugh:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Am I too late to the America invented game cause, blue jeans. America invented blue jeans. You're welcome world.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pakled posted:

Donald Trump is a clinical narcissist who will chafe at any attempt to make him say or do something that he perceives to be "weak." This conflicts with any and allattempts to getting him to stay "on message."

Also I wish my dad was liberal. :(

When the first post-Conway speech happened, I figured "ok, they're taking what Trump likes to talk about and organizing it into a 'coherent' speech." No rambling, no going off on tangents, no "2nd amendment people". Same poo poo as always, just polished.

He still deviated. He'll do it again, and sooner or later he'll probably kick the prompters over or something.

Also, both my parents, who are both boomers, are moderate-liberals, thank gods.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Okay, we say this, and yet look at the past several days. Clearly something has changed internally and if you're waiting for a Drump meltdown it's possible you're going to be holding your breath.

EDIT: Even more proof - he's cancelled his Oregon rallies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's had periods of like 4 days where nothing happens, then suddenly footinmouthism takes over again.

The guy behind literal dictators couldn't keep him reigned in. Somehow we expect right-wing TMZ to lock him down?

Didn't we get TrumpPlayDough.jpg like two days ago???

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I keep thinking about signing up to be one because I'm concerned that they may be explicitly telling people this. Especially because my polling place is one of the "certain areas" of PA.

Then I think I should just work for the polling place instead, because I'd rather not have to give some level of support to Trump.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

At first I was going to say "thanks for the kind words :buddy:" but now I think you're a barbarian.

Is that the one rear end in a top hat who keeps buying candy corn?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

radical meme posted:

Am I too late to the America invented game cause, blue jeans. America invented blue jeans. You're welcome world.

Do Russians still kill for them these days?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Ailes, Trump, and Bannon are going to metastasize a piece of the republicican party to be consumers of a a media company that will be financed by Trump's unspent campaign cash. This media company will act as the mouthpiece of the Trump political movement post rigged election.

It will be amazing to watch it fail.

Also, can anyone imagine a more dastardly trifecta than Trump, Ailes, and Bannon. The conversations must be wonderful.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Not sure if I'd want to live anywhere else to be honest. Maybe Norway, or some other Scandinavian country. Far less poverty and the existence of proper safety nets make the prospect of taking risks to achieve your dreams far more palatable...you know, rather than becoming homeless.
Germany is good too, but definitely not for everyone.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CelestialScribe posted:

EDIT: Even more proof - he's cancelled his Oregon rallies.

Trump cancels rally in Little Beirut, proof he's winning this game of nth dimensional chess.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

I keep thinking about signing up to be one because I'm concerned that they may be explicitly telling people this. Especially because my polling place is one of the "certain areas" of PA.

Then I think I should just work for the polling place instead, because I'd rather not have to give some level of support to Trump.

Show up with a camera and keep it trained on them. Make sure to get all identifying information - license plates, iron cross tattoos, locations of 88's on body, confederate flag apparel, etc

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

Do Russians still kill for them these days?

I doubt it, poo poo they make everything there now. I've been to Russia, recently, and I tell you for a fact that those people have embraced capitalism wholeheartedly. They ain't never going back.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Epic High Five posted:

Also peanuts!

Can't imagine how dreadful European cuisine was before we started sending them our poo poo

Given that for a large portion of time Europe enjoyed famine, I'd say the cuisine issue wasn't that big a deal for them.
Hell the Dutch choked down raw herring smothered in onion

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Given that for a large portion of time Europe enjoyed famine, I'd say the cuisine issue wasn't that big a deal for them.
Hell the Dutch choked down raw herring smothered in onion

what the hell, did they run out of fire too?

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Trumps next meltdown can't happen soon enough because this thread is unbearable to read without it happenin regularly.
Names chat, generational generalizations, nineties nostalgia and ten loving pages of patriotic nail-biting have got me reconsidering keeping this thread bookmarked

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rhesus Pieces posted:

FREEDOM CAGE!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

climboutonalimb posted:

Trumps next meltdown can't happen soon enough because this thread is unbearable to read without it happenin regularly.
Names chat, generational generalizations, nineties nostalgia and ten loving pages of patriotic nail-biting have got me reconsidering keeping this thread bookmarked

OK bye

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Epic High Five posted:

There was a large deforestation of Europe. The switch to coal brought back the forests before they died from acid rain and then came back.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The patriotism of the DNC is like having a big ol' school bus you're taking on a road trip and you want a lot of people to come along because it means you have a bunch of different cooks and musicians and jokes and cool stories on board to make it a cool trip.

Whereas the RNC patriotism is like burning your neighbor's house down because you don't like the way you think they're looking at your car, which is a pearl-white escalade with rotting fries, chik fil a bags and starbucks white chocolate mocha stains all over the interior.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

The patriotism of the DNC is like having a big ol' school bus you're taking on a road trip and you want a lot of people to come along because it means you have a bunch of different cooks and musicians and jokes and cool stories on board to make it a cool trip.

Whereas the RNC patriotism is like burning your neighbor's house down because you don't like the way you think they're looking at your car, which is a pearl-white escalade with rotting fries, chik fil a bags and starbucks white chocolate mocha stains all over the interior.

tl;dr

DNC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

RNC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pVsp2c8gc

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

SocketWrench posted:

FREEDOM CAGE!
That sounds like the kind of unintentional irony that happens all the time now.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

It's hard to start a fire when your country is a putrid swamp.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

poo poo I dunno, dry out some peat or smtg

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This year's DNC was a little unnerving since it aped poo poo that was more likely to be seen in a GOP forum. It was a little more :patriot: America gently caress Yeah! Than I remember.

But if you disliked that, you probably would have poo poo yourself at Old Man Giuliani having a hategasm as his skeleton tried to escape his mouth.

That is, if you weren't dazzled by the A List celebrities brought by the Republicans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

With American ingenuity we can set a river on fire!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

300 posts in the past few hours? What happened?

Please tell me somebody didn't come in here and made a comment about gun control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr Interweb posted:

300 posts in the past few hours? What happened?

Please tell me somebody didn't come in here and made a comment about gun control.

America and bbq

• Locked thread