Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Don't worry guys, Trump's got this.

http://www.kmov.com/story/32807204/12-year-old-running-trump-campaign-office-in-colorado

quote:

WHEAT RIDGE, CO (KDVR/CNN) - Donald Trump's campaign has some young blood among its leadership.

And by young, that means 12 years old.

In one of the most important counties in swing state Colorado, Donald Trump is relying on 12-year-old Weston Imer, who runs the Jefferson County operation for the Trump campaign.

Jefferson County is one of the most populous counties in Colorado and is part of the Denver metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

what

WHAT

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

countdown to this kid being on every FNC show and then getting super disillusioned and becoming a dem

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Pakled posted:

That flap about him saying women who get abortions should be punished being unpopular with pro-lifers was weird. Like, if you literally believed that abortion was murder, shouldn't a woman who gets an abortion be punished in the same way as someone who hires a hitman? If you're gonna have awful beliefs, at least be consistent about it!

That clip is in a numbe rof HRC ads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/767718245000318976

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

She's not his girlfriend, he's married and she's just his cohost.(though he treats her like his secretary)

If she really was his girlfriend, I'd probably have more respect for both of them.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Right? It's all well and good to let him shoot himself in the foot but I wish they'd do more to control the terrain in which his accidents happen, plus they need to be doing something to fill up the spaces in the news cycle where things like "google hillary has the brain shakes" can creep in. Plus like Pakled said he seems very weird on the subject. I'm sure he's spent absolutely no time in his adult life thinking about it until he decided to do politics, and his opinions are based on the evil shitheads he's appealing to and his own inherent misogyny. This is weak ground for him, he either goes all in on "punish the mother" which will gotv for lots of women across racial lines, or he mealymouths himself about it which won't help him with women but may discourage an evangelical or two.

They need to do more to work for our votes and remember this is an election, not a referendum on Trump.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That clip is in a numbe rof HRC ads.

Good. I still want them to do more like what I said, but I'm glad they're putting that out there. I don't have network or cable so I'm not up to date like I guess I should be.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 22, 2016

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Pakled posted:

That flap about him saying women who get abortions should be punished being unpopular with pro-lifers was weird. Like, if you literally believed that abortion was murder, shouldn't a woman who gets an abortion be punished in the same way as someone who hires a hitman? If you're gonna have awful beliefs, at least be consistent about it!

I've always thought that this logic should inevitably lead to pregnant women being able to use HOV lanes, too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I am not going to click that link, but instead believe it's that obnoxious kid guest on Colber' :pcgaming:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Sharkie posted:

Right? It's all well and good to let him shoot himself in the foot but I wish they'd do more to control the terrain in which his accidents happen, plus they need to be doing something to fill up the spaces in the news cycle where things like "google hillary has the brain shakes" can creep in. Plus like Pakled said he seems very weird on the subject. I'm sure he's spent absolutely no time in his adult life thinking about it until he decided to do politics, and his opinions are based on the evil shitheads he's appealing to and his own inherent misogyny. This is weak ground for him, he either goes all in on "punish the mother" which will gotv for lots of women across racial lines, or he mealymouths himself about it which won't help him with women but may discourage an evangelical or two.

They need to do more to work for our votes and remember this is an election, not a referendum on Trump.

We're winning by eight points. Things are going well, no need to hit the panic button. Also, they're campaigning very hard and getting a lot of very good local coverage. She''s doing like four or five events a day.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Well, at least he can connect with the usual mental level of a Trump supporter.

Does anyone still care about this bathroom nonsense?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Geostomp posted:

Well, at least he can connect with the usual mental level of a Trump supporter.

Republicans care a lot, since it's not socially acceptable to publicly hate gay people anymore.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

His mom is the actual person running it. She put him behind the desk, took some photos, and here we are.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We're winning by eight points. Things are going well, no need to hit the panic button. Also, they're campaigning very hard and getting a lot of very good local coverage. She''s doing like four or five events a day.

Oh I'm not panicking, not really. I have my own ideas of what it should look like of course, but I'm not actually that concerned that they're going to torpedo Hillary's chances. This is just such a weird and different election compared to the last one I think it keeps throwing me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Geostomp posted:

The religious right is really pushing this. The RR lost the battle on same-sex marriage, but going "YOU HAVEN'T WON THE WAR" decided to shift focus to transgender folks, leading to NC Law HB2. It's why North Carolina is leaning Hillary instead of toss up after the /massive/ backlash against it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

iospace posted:

The religious right is really pushing this. The RR lost the battle on same-sex marriage, but going "YOU HAVEN'T WON THE WAR" decided to shift focus to transgender folks, leading to NC Law HB2. It's why North Carolina is leaning Hillary instead of toss up after the /massive/ backlash against it.

And it's ironically probably doing more to accelerate trans acceptance than anything they could have possibly done

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Swagger Dagger posted:

Republicans care a lot

about you people!
about your guns!
about the wars we're fighting, gee that looks like fun!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah the vast majority of people don't care about trans people using restrooms. People saw how loving weird the people fighting against same sex marriage really were and once that became legal there really isn't much fight outside of crazy religious groups about further LGBT rights. Most people are finding this whole fixation of bathrooms trans people use as really weird and each law that pops up over has been economic suicude for each state that tries to pass it. The bigot implosion was so great over same sex marriage that pretty much every fight against LGBT rights is poisoned now and watching groups like NOM flounder and screech for money that no longer comes will never not be great

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah the vast majority of people don't care about trans people using restrooms. People saw how loving weird the people fighting against same sex marriage really were and once that became legal there really isn't much fight outside of crazy religious groups about further LGBT rights. Most people are finding this whole fixation of bathrooms trans people use as really weird and each law that pops up over has been economic suicude for each state that tries to pass it. The bigot implosion was so great over same sex marriage that pretty much every fight against LGBT rights is poisoned now and watching groups like NOM flounder and screech for money that no longer comes will never not be great

the FRC is still pretty active, given they got loving conversion therapy into the GOP platform.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

The US has been successful because we've skimmed the best talent and human capital from abroad-- especially during crises. The longer your family has been in the US the likelier it is you are poo poo.

I feel like this only applies to white people. Those of us forcibly brought here then bred like GMOs for 400 years are probably much better than those who came through Ellis Island, one of the reasons white America pretty much doesn't want black people to have a even field of access to opportunities.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iospace posted:

the FRC is still pretty active, given they got loving conversion therapy into the GOP platform.

They still have a lot of money and are one of the few reliable GOP voting blocs left.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

Nah it's one of many reasons why the current governor's going to lose his side gig in January, but Hillary's polling ahead because Trump sucks worse.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cythereal posted:

They still have a lot of money and are one of the few reliable GOP voting blocs left.

Yeah, they're a catch-all religious right org, as opposed to NOM which was single issue with marriage... and now that it happened, most people against it sighed, hung their heads, and went home.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Nah it's one of many reasons why the current governor's going to lose his side gig in January, but Hillary's polling ahead because Trump sucks worse.

Right, North Carolina has a lot of college-educated whites, which are now firmly in HRC's corner. And for whatever else you can say about Trump, when he was asked about HB2 he said it was a bad law (because it hurts businesses.)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Of course CNN is letting us know THIS IS TRUMP'S BIG CHANCE! IF HE JUST DOESN'T SAY SOMETHING STUPID, WE CAN PRETEND THIS RACE IS CLOSE AND BETWEEN TWO LEGITIMATE CANDIDATES!
"Trump hasn't said anything particularly racist, dangerous, or stupid in a week! Guess he's cool now!"

- probably a larger percentage of the population than I'd care to admit

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Right, North Carolina has a lot of college-educated whites, which are now firmly in HRC's corner. And for whatever else you can say about Trump, when he was asked about HB2 he said it was a bad law (because it hurts businesses.)

College educated whites aren't the primary factor. It's minority outreach.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Just to be clear, by HRC you mean Hillary Rodham Clinton not Human Right Campaign?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Instant Sunrise posted:

Just to be clear, by HRC you mean Hillary Rodham Clinton not Human Right Campaign?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

comes along bort posted:

College educated whites aren't the primary factor. It's minority outreach.

Minority outreach is why Obama won in 2008 and part of why she's leading, adding the huge margin on college educated whites is why she's leading by as much as she is.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Closing the Book on Gawker.com - data wrapup of Gawker's tenure. There's a list of the most-recommended posters and posts in Kinja history, any Goons on the list? The comments have sucked there for the past few years but they were good around 2010, iirc.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Closing the Book on Gawker.com - data wrapup of Gawker's tenure. There's a list of the most-recommended posters and posts in Kinja history, any Goons on the list? The comments have sucked there for the past few years but they were good around 2010, iirc.

Thank you, ParahSalin and dothedew, for making the community what it has been over the years.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

I feel like this only applies to white people. Those of us forcibly brought here then bred like GMOs for 400 years are probably much better than those who came through Ellis Island, one of the reasons white America pretty much doesn't want black people to have a even field of access to opportunities.

Sorry dude black immigrants do way better than the ones we've already got.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah African immigrants are some of the statistically highest achieving ethnic groups in the US right now, at least as far as education is concerned

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...a6d89_blog.html

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

gfsincere posted:

Uhh this is some weird bizarro-eugenics poo poo. Are you saying black people are genetically superior to white people?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was going to post this but "Not throwing women in prison for having an abortion" doesn't really square with "Forcing women to have consequences for having sex." It's more of a messaging/packaging issue. They want to control reproductive health decisions, but they want to put the mailed fist inside a silk glove. Trump ripped the glove away and pro-lifers freaked out.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
My dumbass mother thinks that fast food jobs aren't worth $15 dollars. I want to go like "Hey even if that were true, guess what? It's not like thet could find better jobs, the corporate funded Republicans killed already most of those through garbage policies."

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
USPol August: My dumbass mother

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chimera-gui posted:

My dumbass mother thinks that fast food jobs aren't worth $15 dollars. I want to go like "Hey even if that were true, guess what? It's not like thet could find better jobs, the corporate funded Republicans killed most of those through garbage policies."

Be respectful toward your mother.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It gets brought up from time to time but I wanna note Chapo Trap House is good if you're looking for people shooting the poo poo about dumbass thinkpieces. At its worst they get annoying joking too long about ZyklonPepe and I don't blame people if they don't like it, but if you're willing to read this thread I'd recommend giving it a try.

Keeping it 1600 is good for the same thing but very different and much more "let's spend ten minutes discussing convention speech length."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Seph posted:

Uhh this is some weird bizarro-eugenics poo poo. Are you saying black people are genetically superior to white people?

Specifically the ones brought and bred as slaves. Which I guess relies on an assumption that slaves were taken and kept specifically for traits of physical strength, purposefully bred for those traits by owners, and that slave work was hard enough to kill off weaklings before they reached the age to have children.

More likely it has to do with the fact that a modern black immigrant to America likely at least has some money and some education and is entering an environment that is slightly less hostile towards blacks then it used to be, compared to the Afro-American populations who have basically been working their way up from "lol fukken nothing" for the last 200 years.

• Locked thread