Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Seriously, someone just make a goddamn food wars system.

The market is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Jimbozig posted:

That's my hot take.

This had to be intentional, yeah? Or am I just overzealous in my quest for puns?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Biscuits are good,
Pancakes are good,
Scones are good
Crumpets are good.

Get good ones and you'll see a world of difference.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

In actual Kickstarter news: Mare Nostrum has finally begun shipping to UK backers. Just in time for it to arrive while I'm away for four days.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
It may have got eclipsed by Monte Cook's Invisible Sun, but my Kickstarter for What Ho, World! is still plugging along. We're 80% funded now and I've been able to lower international shipping and negotiate a better and bigger game from the printers; if a storytelling game based on Jeeves and Wooster that fits in your pocket sounds at all interesting, check it out!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a new edition of Villains & Vigilantes currently funding, but I don't know enough about V&V (apart from it being the first superhero RPG back in the day) to really comment.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Poachers have kidnapped the Great Apes, are you a bad enough dude to save them?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, and PC Police: the Cure for Political Correctness Gone Mad apparently cancelled funding five days ago having raised a whopping $80 in pledges from two backers, presumably the creators themselves. Meanwhile A Jew Etc. is entering its last five days having stalled out at $4,200 of a $20,000 funding goal. Curiously enough the creators have yet to post any further updates or comments so I guess they must be busy with other stuff.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Flavivirus posted:

It may have got eclipsed by Monte Cook's Invisible Sun, but my Kickstarter for What Ho, World! is still plugging along. We're 80% funded now and I've been able to lower international shipping and negotiate a better and bigger game from the printers; if a storytelling game based on Jeeves and Wooster that fits in your pocket sounds at all interesting, check it out!

It's also a diceless PbtA with really cute card art, and at a sweet price point.

Everyone back this, I want the 6th character type stretch goal !

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So there is finally an update 7 months later for a Call of Cthulhu: The Writhing Dark Playing Cards and Tarot. Over two years late in the making for a deck of cards.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This would get instantly funded if they put Harambe front and center.

I wish I was kidding.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jedit posted:

In actual Kickstarter news: Mare Nostrum has finally begun shipping to UK backers. Just in time for it to arrive while I'm away for four days.

I have a friend that works for Academy Games and though it's not my usual thing I've really enjoyed what I've gotten to play of it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's a new edition of Villains & Vigilantes currently funding, but I don't know enough about V&V (apart from it being the first superhero RPG back in the day) to really comment.

It's fun to play around with as an old "liquor and comestibles" sort of game but it's very much a game where you could roll up a hero or a zero, since character creation was really random. Icons was basically its spiritual successor. but V&V would have to have some major shifts not to be a just a historical novelty. And I say that as somebody who's played it, not just read it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fun gardening game Herbaceous has just launched. It received great feedback at Gen Con, and has already gained a lot of traction in just over an hour.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Curiously enough the creators have yet to post any further updates or comments so I guess they must be busy with other stuff.

Something I noticed from successful Kickstarters, with Red Markets and Mutant Crawl Classics as recent ones I've backed, is that while you're running the KS, you're running the KS.

It's 30 days of plugging your product, answering questions, posting comments, going on interviews, writing updates, answering questions for those updates, and basically just marketing marketing marketing to get the word out, more more more.

Expecting to put up a KS and letting it fund itself is just lazy as poo poo. You're not even really supposed to be working on the product itself in the meantime if you're a one-man operation.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

gradenko_2000 posted:

Something I noticed from successful Kickstarters, with Red Markets and Mutant Crawl Classics as recent ones I've backed, is that while you're running the KS, you're running the KS.

It's 30 days of plugging your product, answering questions, posting comments, going on interviews, writing updates, answering questions for those updates, and basically just marketing marketing marketing to get the word out, more more more.

Expecting to put up a KS and letting it fund itself is just lazy as poo poo. You're not even really supposed to be working on the product itself in the meantime if you're a one-man operation.

when i ran my KS, and it wasn't a big one, all the time I had in the first 14 days was for keeping the thing rolling. After a couple of weeks I'd exhausted all the marketing channels and it plateaued, and only then I was able to finally get some work done. even then it was mostly on developing the stuff I promised for stretch goals. If I hadn't already finished the work on the core product before I launched I think I would have been in trouble.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I decided to check on Katanas & Trenchcoats since I hadn't seen anything since June.

The creator is posting in the KS comments, which is unconventional, but there's little micro-updates here and there. So if you backed it... that's where all the action is. Most recent post was last week. I'd rather see real KS updates, but eh.

Similar stuff is happening with Emissary, if you backed that.

Out of curiosity, I went in to update my 'backed projects' record, and so far it looks like my oldest still-unfulfilled kickstarters are Torment and Xing - both PC games, and both have put me off the idea of backing PC games anytime in the future. The only TG-related KS that's completely crapped out on me is still Deck of Legends, but there's still time for Project Dark to disappoint (more), I suppose?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You should pretty much never back a KS for a PC game. Especially if they don't have any sort of playable demo build available at the start of the KS. Best case scenario the game comes out as advertised a year (or more) behind schedule, worst case scenario the drat thing never comes out due to incompetence or outright fraud.

Edit: In the middle you get Mighty Number 9.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 23, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My oldest undelivered is still Far West, which will be reaching the 5-year anniversary of funding on Thursday.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I don't mind dropping $10-$15 on a PC game Kickstarter, but I understand that if I see anything at all I'm not going to see it for many, many years. It's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mine is Metamorphosis Alpha, and that at least partially delivered (PDF, still waiting on the physical book).

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

My oldest undelivered is still Far West, which will be reaching the 5-year anniversary of funding on Thursday.

We should have a party.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

We should have a party.

We should enroll it in kindergarten.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

You should pretty much never back a KS for a PC game. Especially if they don't have any sort of playable demo build available at the start of the KS. Best case scenario the game comes out as advertised a year (or more) behind schedule, worst case scenario the drat thing never comes out due to incompetence or outright fraud.

Yeah, both were in my earliest days on Kickstarter. I've learned my lesson, since. I think I'm only out like $35 total, and if Xing comes out on PS4 like it's supposed to, now, well...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the only reason I avoided this particular trap is because I hadn't registered on Kickstarter yet...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kwyndig posted:

Mine is ROAM. (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roam/roam). There's been no Kickstarter update in over a year, zero presence on social media, and the Reddit hasn't seen a single significant post in months. It was the classic case of a small 1-3 man operation that had zero understanding of contracts and other business needs that saw one of the devs take their money and run, with what remained of the Kickstarter money being used to cover legal fees to get money they'll never see again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've had four tabletop RPG projects that have just stopped due to the writers pretty much vanishing off Kickstarter with the money: Topher Gerkey's Monsterhearts setting, David Hill's Fate mecha game ", and Stab City. Also technically the two Last Stand kickstarters, but I know about the circumstances behind that.

Which, considering I'm just over 200 backed projects (:smithicide:) is actually not a bad success/failure rate.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My oldest undelivered is Masks, so I've been lucky. Looking at it and I forgot I backed at the $70 level. :guinness:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've had four tabletop RPG projects that have just stopped due to the writers pretty much vanishing off Kickstarter with the money: Topher Gerkey's Monsterhearts setting, David Hill's Fate mecha game ", and Stab City. Also technically the two Last Stand kickstarters, but I know about the circumstances behind that.

Which, considering I'm just over 200 backed projects (:smithicide:) is actually not a bad success/failure rate.

The full version of Apotheosis Drive X came out a year ago, though?

Granted, only one of the stretch goals got completed (sort of), so I'm still disappointed with that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Evil Mastermind posted:

I get the impression that tabletop games are just a less risky prospect. I've never had a TG kickstarter fail on me, while my music/videogame kickstarter failure rate is about 10%.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, both were in my earliest days on Kickstarter. I've learned my lesson, since. I think I'm only out like $35 total, and if Xing comes out on PS4 like it's supposed to, now, well...

Torment's going to as well, they're looking into the possibility of switching to console keys for backers if they want to go that route .

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mitama posted:

The full version of Apotheosis Drive X came out a year ago, though?

Granted, only one of the stretch goals got completed (sort of), so I'm still disappointed with that.
I'd actually forgotten that I did get the PDFs, but we were also supposed to get hardcopies. Plus, you know, the stretch goals.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I did some poking around and it turns out that the creators of A Jew Et Al have a Twitter account that they HAVE been regularly posting updates to consisting of periodic posts to the effect of "We can still make our goal!" (no they can't). This is a Twitter account with 13 followers btw, which means for a project with nearly 60 backers if they'd simply make these pointless little posts via Kickstarter they'd more than quadruple their effective outreach. Not that it would help at this point, but still.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Germ's new terrain KS just went live - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-wargaming-scenery-and-terrain-ancient-ruins?ref=profile_starred - great stuff if you're in the US and want a good solid set of terrain.

Germ
May 7, 2013

EDIT ^^^ Doh! Scooped!

Hey, for those of you play with toy plastic spacemen or tiny elf-dolls, I just launched a Kickstarter for some resin terrain on which I've been working. Check it out if you're so inclined!

Also, thanks so much to those of you who have supported me in the past and helped me to get this far. Goons have been a continual source of support and encouragement for my terrain-making endeavors. I'm really grateful for all that you've done for me!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-wargaming-scenery-and-terrain-ancient-ruins

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Do you have obsessive-compulsive disorder about completing sets of dice? Or do you like odd-numbered dice? Then :getin: on the latest Impact Kickstarter, for the D13 and D15. If they hit $30,000 (which they likely will, D17 and D19 are game on.

I've backed every one of their funny dice kickstarters and have never been disappointed yet.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I get the impression that tabletop games are just a less risky prospect. I've never had a TG kickstarter fail on me, while my music/videogame kickstarter failure rate is about 10%.

I think most tabletop projects, especially for board/card games, are launched more for production than for development, so there's already more there to work with than, say, videogames (where it seems like a lot of pitches are just "hey, we have this concept!"). That said, I've had about the same overall failure rate.

For tabletop games, The Doom That Came to Atlantic City famously had the project creator spend the money on moving and setting up a business instead of producing the game (though it was rescued by Cryptozoic). The Up Front reprint was pretty much killed by the publisher's legal troubles (to wit, being successfully sued for their operating capital by an artist they hadn't bothered to pay). Rosemount Bay has been dead silent for long enough that it's probably not happening, same with Last Stand: Reinforcements (and any remaining stretch goals from the first Last Stand KS, which I think there are one or two). And I guess James Wallis still theoretically plans to deliver Alas, Vegas someday but I'm not holding my breath.

For videogames, Haunts's team fell apart and the code was not in a salvageable place. Unwritten: That Which happened didn't happen. Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones was explicitly abandoned by the creator. And the developer of Roam claimed to still be working on it a year ago but hasn't posted since and see previous posts re: lawsuits etc.

I will say that I have quite a few more outstanding videogame projects than tabletop, some for quite a long time (a handful backed in 2012, even), but aside from the ones mentioned above they are generally demonstrably still underway, some with playable alphas/betas/etc. Videogame development can be a fraught and complicated process, especially for indie studios, and Kickstarter delivery projections are nearly universally pure fiction, so I'm not too worried on the whole. (Seriously, I've backed almost 230 projects and I think maybe 5% of them delivered on time or before.)

I don't back videogames much anymore, but that's less because I consider them especially risky and more because there's really only two reasons to bother:
1) it's something that won't happen otherwise and you really need it to (almost all of my videogame needs are being plentifully fulfilled these days or require licenses that aren't likely to happen on a Kickstarter budget)
or
2) you just love the developer that much and want to support them. (So for me, Obsidian, Harebrained Schemes, a couple others. But not just any random indie dev.)

Otherwise chances are it'll be available cheaper once it's actually out, you don't have to take any risks, and Kickstarter backers probably aren't getting anything unique that actually matters.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Prepare to get rekt, A Distant Plain.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Caedar posted:

Prepare to get rekt, A Distant Plain.

So rekt, the funding was canceled a day ago, apparently?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This looks like something you'd stick in an aquarium. This should be taken as a compliment since some of the best ready-made terrain I've seen have been aquarium decorations.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This looks like something you'd stick in an aquarium. This should be taken as a compliment since some of the best ready-made terrain I've seen have been aquarium decorations.

Ha! Also, I agree.

True fact: My ultimate dream is to design big terrain pieces, but outsource the manufacturing to Chinese aquarium decoration companies. I've identified a couple of manufacturers I like, but the intricacies of import/export horrify me, so I've stayed away from it.

One day, though, I WILL drown the world in pre-painted Chinese aquarium decorations.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
The RPG World Will Never Be The Same!

Oy vey. Even their hype jpeg looks terrible, which is the only thing that this preview has. Who's the Nerd Vanguard anyways? Is the only reason I care is getting a random google ad?(yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Indiegogo is inherently a red flag.