Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

khwarezm posted:

Can somebody please provide a link for that lard bucket thing, holy poo poo.
Here is the original thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407406

This is right where it gets shut down, when somebody finally has health issues related to eating garbage.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407406&pagenumber=288&perpage=40#post396550078
You can scroll up that page, even, and see people being banned for "trolling the thread" by telling people not to eat garbage food and to listen to their doctors about why an all-fat diet is an awful idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I want to hear more about the Pet Island mod who's actually a master beast slayer.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

I want to hear more about the Pet Island mod who's actually a master beast slayer.

She farted so much that her parrot would mimic her farts and she killed a bird by leaving its cage next to a heater because she was worried it would get cold, while giving advice for owning birds.

Doing exactly that is about on par with somebody giving advice on dog diets and nutrition, while giving their scottish terrier a full bar of chocolate at every meal.

E: I'm pretty sure she came back with a post like "Ol squawky died, all I did was put his cage directly next to a constant source of unavoidable heat that would cook him internally :("

bawk has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Aug 22, 2016

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

thecluckmeme posted:

She farted so much that her parrot would mimic her farts and she killed a bird by leaving its cage next to a heater because she was worried it would get cold, while giving advice for owning birds.

Doing exactly that is about on par with somebody giving advice on dog diets and nutrition, while giving their scottish terrier a full bar of chocolate at every meal.

E: I'm pretty sure she came back with a post like "Ol squawky died, all I did was put his cage directly next to a constant source of unavoidable heat that would cook him internally :("

Don't forget the other chicken, "Megatron" who got a wound, and the mod bitched out her niece? for handling it and tearing the scab. Said niece was around 8 years old.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

she was told not to put Megatron down on the ground because chickens are insane rape monsters and would gently caress the wound, and because she was 8 she did not understand this, so she put Megatron down and the rooster brutally hosed the wound

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought Megatron was the rapist not the rapee.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wow, these sure are my favorite little things in games.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Wow, these sure are my favorite little things in games.

PYF little things in games: the rooster brutally hosed the wound

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I really Iike how in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE the characters have different casual outfits they change between as the game goes on.

E: Funnily enough the below post reminded me that TMS does something similar, a lot of communication between party members is done via not-Line and every character has their own distinct typing style. One character uses text smilies, another never bothers with capitals, etc. etc.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Aug 22, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the Mr Robot mobile game everything is done through text messages and the developers put a lot of effort into making each person distinct. Also when you chose what you're going to say you see the main character type out the message, including common typos that they fix as they go.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I bought this stupid game called "Siralim" on a lark, it was part of a flash sale on PS4. It's basically a 8-bit JRPG with absolutely no plot. you go into random generated dungeons, fight poo poo, and see how far you can get. Instead of finding new towns for equipment, you upgrade your castle to add more poo poo you can buy and make. Combat is fought using Pokemon-like creatures, which you have to catch as you fight. Each creature has a special ability, that really keeps combat fresh both in your group composition, and when fighting groups of enemies. If you are going to have a game that is only combat and nothing else, the combat had better be good!

The little thing I love is the game removes every pain in the rear end most older JRPGs have. I usually find these games a slog, but not here.
All creatures get XP regardless if they die in combat or not.
All creatures fully heal and lose debuffs after every fight.
you have full control of how difficult the game is. when you start, the teleporter takes you to level one, and you simply clear the dungeon and go to level 2. the levels are exponentially harder, so its never boring. eventually you unlock the ability to just go to the difficulty you want.
new creatures start at level one, but XP is scaled so they quickly catch up to your regular group, making trying new creatures easy.
at any time you can warp back to your castle to make or modify gear, make new creatures, or complete castle quests. You then warp back to the exact point in the dungeon you were at.
If your party wipes, you just port back to the castle, with no real repercussions.
fights are fast, and can be made even faster my turning on turbo mode. hell, if a fight goes on to long a message lets you know all creatures are tired, and damage will be increased.
It starts with just a few maps, but you quickly unlock eight different environments, which also effect combat. (realm of death randomly brings creatures back to life for example.)
The game is beyond crunchy, with building synergy and combos between both your creatures and the items they use. eventually the creatures and the one item they can equip gain multiple abilities.
If all that wasn't enough, your main avatar (who isn't really on the battlefield, but has many skills to buff/harm creatures) levels up, and can spend points on themselves, perks, and creatures all of which again change how fights flow.

Ive only scratched the surface of this stupid game, I cant believe I've already played it for 7 hours. There's a lot more I haven't unlocked in the game, and everything really builds on itself in a very organic way. best 4 bucks I spent, I'll probably wind up getting it on my phone. (Its on everything. PS4, Vita, Windows, Mac, IoS, Linux, Android. not sure about XBOX.)

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, It's just refreshing to buy something that looks like shovelware and turns out to be well made.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
In 'Sir, You Are Being Hunted', I liked the little touches that made the game super-British.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like it when video games call attention to something that makes absolutely no sense in the game world but roll with it anyway. I was playing animal crossing the other day, with a fireworks event scheduled later that night. Being animal crossing you can submit custom designs for the fireworks. Isabelle points out that if you change the design after submitting it, the fireworks will change as well. "Nobody knows how the firework engineers figure this out, but isn't this useful to know?" is essentially what she says.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like it when video games call attention to something that makes absolutely no sense in the game world but roll with it anyway. I was playing animal crossing the other day, with a fireworks event scheduled later that night. Being animal crossing you can submit custom designs for the fireworks. Isabelle points out that if you change the design after submitting it, the fireworks will change as well. "Nobody knows how the firework engineers figure this out, but isn't this useful to know?" is essentially what she says.

In AssCreed 2 they point out that the animus now will provide subtitles.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

malal posted:

I bought this stupid game called "Siralim" on a lark, it was part of a flash sale on PS4. It's basically a 8-bit JRPG with absolutely no plot. you go into random generated dungeons, fight poo poo, and see how far you can get. Instead of finding new towns for equipment, you upgrade your castle to add more poo poo you can buy and make. Combat is fought using Pokemon-like creatures, which you have to catch as you fight. Each creature has a special ability, that really keeps combat fresh both in your group composition, and when fighting groups of enemies. If you are going to have a game that is only combat and nothing else, the combat had better be good!

The little thing I love is the game removes every pain in the rear end most older JRPGs have. I usually find these games a slog, but not here.
All creatures get XP regardless if they die in combat or not.
All creatures fully heal and lose debuffs after every fight.
you have full control of how difficult the game is. when you start, the teleporter takes you to level one, and you simply clear the dungeon and go to level 2. the levels are exponentially harder, so its never boring. eventually you unlock the ability to just go to the difficulty you want.
new creatures start at level one, but XP is scaled so they quickly catch up to your regular group, making trying new creatures easy.
at any time you can warp back to your castle to make or modify gear, make new creatures, or complete castle quests. You then warp back to the exact point in the dungeon you were at.
If your party wipes, you just port back to the castle, with no real repercussions.
fights are fast, and can be made even faster my turning on turbo mode. hell, if a fight goes on to long a message lets you know all creatures are tired, and damage will be increased.
It starts with just a few maps, but you quickly unlock eight different environments, which also effect combat. (realm of death randomly brings creatures back to life for example.)
The game is beyond crunchy, with building synergy and combos between both your creatures and the items they use. eventually the creatures and the one item they can equip gain multiple abilities.
If all that wasn't enough, your main avatar (who isn't really on the battlefield, but has many skills to buff/harm creatures) levels up, and can spend points on themselves, perks, and creatures all of which again change how fights flow.

Ive only scratched the surface of this stupid game, I cant believe I've already played it for 7 hours. There's a lot more I haven't unlocked in the game, and everything really builds on itself in a very organic way. best 4 bucks I spent, I'll probably wind up getting it on my phone. (Its on everything. PS4, Vita, Windows, Mac, IoS, Linux, Android. not sure about XBOX.)

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, It's just refreshing to buy something that looks like shovelware and turns out to be well made.

Before you get it on another platform there is a now released Siralim 2.
http://www.siralim2.com/

Definitely improved, creature fusing, better magic and much more interesting perks! (Also more monsters, crafting, more everything really.)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

Definitely improved, creature fusing, better magic and much more interesting perks! (Also more monsters, crafting, more everything really.)

I should not be as excited for this as I am, stupid game. Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to wait for it to come out for IOS or PS4, I don't really play on the PC.
(though I suppose even my crappy computer could run this, haha.)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I have been playing Zelda II: the Adventure of Link and I think it's cool that they used all the names of the towns for characters in Ocarina of Time, like the towns are named after them. :)

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

This looks a lot like Dragon Warrior Monsters, which was my childhood "Why do I keep coming back to this game" game. I'm in.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

new Space Station 13 story. For context, the admins recently added a radio station away from the main station level. It's mostly a silly gimmick since everyone has a radio headset that does all the same stuff anyway, but silly gimmicks are 90% of the fun of the game so who cares

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Man, running a radio station really does get you some good stories.

I wandered over to the radio station for the first time to make sure I knew where it was and how it worked, and also because I had nothing else to do and was the Captain. I announced to the crew that they were listening to the Spigot the Bear show, and I would shoot myself repeatedly with my egun if anyone called me fat. The wizard immediately appeared in his wizard putt to tell me I was not fat and should not shoot myself, and I invited him in for interview as thanks for his courtesy.

After making our introductions and setting the poor one-legged fellow at his ease, I asked him about his experience on Space Station 13 so far, and we were joined by the Head of Personnel, who kindly brought smokes. We all had a good time shooting the poo poo about embezzling the crew, being driven to drink and crime by the crew, fleeing the crew and surviving assassination attempts by the crew, when we were joined by another two guests! As I introduced them, however, I realised that they might have arrived to cause some trouble in the fair radio station, as one was a Security Officer and the other was the Chaplain.

The wizard fled, naturally, and the brave Officer Dotty Spud stuck around to answer a few questions about her relentless pursuit of the magical felon before taking off on the chase once more, and also refusing to answer any more questions because I called her Spotty Dud. The Chaplain stuck around to explain his own motives - redemption for burning down his chapel in a terrible moment of madness involving a duck, a welder and a bottle of bourbon. The wizard returned to join us, making an uneasy peace with the Chaplain. I used the chapel-burning story to segue into culture hour, comparing his crime to that depicted in The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima, but was soundly ignored. We were roundly joined by a Staff Assistant, who I introduced as our weather correspondent.

At this point, our show had really hit primetime, and yet more visitors came along to join us. The Chaplain announced that it was happening again and started a fire, engulfing mostly himself, and Tumany Cooks arrived, calling himself the horrible mess-bringer and farting out a giant cloud of cheese, weird cheese, ectoplasm, green vomit and blood. A monkey in a dress arrived and stared at me intensely for far too long (the monkey may have been a robot). Insane Bolt ran in, screamed, impaled someone's head on a spike and ran away again. Dotty Spud returned for a rematch with the wizard, catching a new arrival in the crossfire and promptly leaving again. Tumany Cooks began to die of an unknown ailment, and my client crashed while I desperately tried to keep up terrible wordplay and narration to the listeners back home. The wizard accidentally summoned an ectoplasm-golem while trying to heal Mr Cooks, then fed me a pepperoni log - where it came from and why this happened, well, perhaps we'll never know.

Then someone pipe bombed us. Opening a portal to medbay, I promised that we'd pick up next time after the cliffhanger ending of this week's episode, and that the identity of the mad bomber would be revealed.

A good radio show.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Aug 22, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Playing Battlefield: Hardline and it has a neat career mode. You're a cop, and a lot of your time is spent collecting evidence. Each evidence, though, lets your character make a quip about it. If you have a partner on the scene, they'll chime in too. Sometimes they're ahead of the clues ("then this means..."), other times they're behind, so you don't know 100% what each piece of evidence means.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So the exact opposite of L.A. "This story is going to end in a shootout no matter what" Noire.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

new Space Station 13 story. For context, the admins recently added a radio station away from the main station level. It's mostly a silly gimmick since everyone has a radio headset that does all the same stuff anyway, but silly gimmicks are 90% of the fun of the game so who cares

Is SS13's goon server(s?) friendly to new players? I'm familiar with BYOND because of Mitadake High, but I loaded up SS13 once and was immediately overwhelmed. I want to be able to play it though, so I'm hoping I won't be banned from the server the first time I click something weird and accidentally kill someone out of character or whatever.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Is SS13's goon server(s?) friendly to new players? I'm familiar with BYOND because of Mitadake High, but I loaded up SS13 once and was immediately overwhelmed. I want to be able to play it though, so I'm hoping I won't be banned from the server the first time I click something weird and accidentally kill someone out of character or whatever.

There's actually a whole system of a "mentorchat" kind of thing where experienced players will have a different chat color, watching you play and talking you through how to do basic things like "putting on a space suit" or "successfully fending off an attack" or "cooking horrible atrocities that spit in the face of god and man alike"

They won't be able to tell you everything, and sometimes its easiest to look up information in the thread/ask questions there, too. I would only ever play engineer when I was on a SS13 stint because somebody posted how to set up the station's engine in the thread.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm playing donkey kong tropical freeze again and my goodness if it doesn't just have the best soundtrack. Every single level is a winner. I'm so glad they got David Wise back

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I'm playing donkey kong tropical freeze again and my goodness if it doesn't just have the best soundtrack. Every single level is a winner. I'm so glad they got David Wise back

Dude, no joke! Every track in Tropical Freeze is freaking fantastic, and I love how he will occasionally touch on the leitmotifs of past games without leaning too heavily on them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They also continued the new series' trend of having there be different versions of the level song when you're underwater. They're all pretty much the same with some changes to make it more understated and "watery" except for this level's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iB0Ds3o0Uk

Which is a remake of the motif of a classic DKC track :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPpVplHiDE

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I ended up getting Bravely Second a few days ago, and I don't know why I did not get this game sooner. I was kind of putting it off because it looked too similar to the first game and the music I've heard was really samey but a lot of the new jobs and improvements in general are pretty great.

I'm really liking the spell caster ability/wizard job the most, where you can add effects to spells in battle like making them always go first, turning them to magic poison or even healing/buffing poison.
The ability to keep fighting battle's to multiply the rewards also makes grinding a lot more bearable than the first game and it's pretty fun to try to see how long you can keep the fights going.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

It really is - just tell people you're new, read this wiki article and hop on as an assistant, Chef, Barman or Captain so nobody expects anything important of you. If you gently caress anything up the admins will almost always be understanding if you just explain that you're new and didn't mean it, because the game is insane and we all mess up and cause terrible death and destruction sometimes.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Note that if you pick Captain, you'll have trouble if it's a Nuke round, since you're actually important in that case. You can tell it's a Nuke round if you see people in heavily armored suits flying around outside. They have trackers for the nuke disc that you spawn with every round, and you have to avoid dying while holding the disc somewhat close to the station and awaiting the shuttle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

I ended up getting Bravely Second a few days ago, and I don't know why I did not get this game sooner. I was kind of putting it off because it looked too similar to the first game and the music I've heard was really samey but a lot of the new jobs and improvements in general are pretty great.

I'm really liking the spell caster ability/wizard job the most, where you can add effects to spells in battle like making them always go first, turning them to magic poison or even healing/buffing poison.
The ability to keep fighting battle's to multiply the rewards also makes grinding a lot more bearable than the first game and it's pretty fun to try to see how long you can keep the fights going.

Wizard is plain broken as it pairs with any other spellcaster set really well. Want summons that deal physical damage so they ignore elemental resistances? Want heals that cast over several turns? Want a healer enemy to blow its turns removing status effects? Wizard can do that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Inzombiac posted:

So the exact opposite of L.A. "This story is going to end in a shootout no matter what" Noire.

It's battlefield so you get a mix of explory segments, sneaking, and THEY AMBUSHED YOU!

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

Note that if you pick Captain, you'll have trouble if it's a Nuke round, since you're actually important in that case. You can tell it's a Nuke round if you see people in heavily armored suits flying around outside. They have trackers for the nuke disc that you spawn with every round, and you have to avoid dying while holding the disc somewhat close to the station and awaiting the shuttle.
Thank you for the heads-up!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It really is - just tell people you're new, read this wiki article and hop on as an assistant, Chef, Barman or Captain so nobody expects anything important of you. If you gently caress anything up the admins will almost always be understanding if you just explain that you're new and didn't mean it, because the game is insane and we all mess up and cause terrible death and destruction sometimes.

thecluckmeme posted:

There's actually a whole system of a "mentorchat" kind of thing where experienced players will have a different chat color, watching you play and talking you through how to do basic things like "putting on a space suit" or "successfully fending off an attack" or "cooking horrible atrocities that spit in the face of god and man alike"

They won't be able to tell you everything, and sometimes its easiest to look up information in the thread/ask questions there, too. I would only ever play engineer when I was on a SS13 stint because somebody posted how to set up the station's engine in the thread.

Thanks, friends. I'll be starting today! I also found the SS13 thread in Games, so I'll read through that as well. See you on board! :dance:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Thanks, friends. I'll be starting today! I also found the SS13 thread in Games, so I'll read through that as well. See you on board! :dance:
That is still one of the best threads on SA, so enjoy.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mr. 47 posted:

In 'Sir, You Are Being Hunted', I liked the little touches that made the game super-British.

SYABH is a bit of a forgotten gem. The developers talked in their pre-release blogs about how they specifically set up the terrain generators to produce "British" landscapes, styling the villages and hedgerows after rural Northern English countryside.

My personal favourite touch is the way the game generates procedural graffiti to go on the backs of signposts. Crouching, hidden, whilst readying a shotgun to give a bunch of tweed-clad Torybots a whiff of buckshot is made so much better when the item you're hiding behind has BOZZA WOZ ERE scrawed across it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have been playing Zelda II: the Adventure of Link and I think it's cool that they used all the names of the towns for characters in Ocarina of Time, like the towns are named after them. :)

i remember being oddly thrilled at this when i was a kid

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Ocarina of TIme was weirdly good about giving you a sense of inhabiting a culture. There's also a part where I think you have to prove yourself to the Goron king by a playing a song that only a member of the royal family would know. That's tight

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I started up a Thief character in South Park: The Stick Of Truth and I'm loving how brutal the backstab is. It's the first ability thieves get, and at max strength it's hacking off half the health bar of powerful enemies and one-shotting lesser foes. Why did I ever pick Mage first? :allears:
I also like that once you unlock Cartman as a Buddy, you can wail on him and he'll use the same lines he does if you do it in the kitchen of the Giggling Donkey after he gets his rear end kicked. "MotherFUCKER! You think this is fuckin' funny??"

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is doing a pretty decent job on selling the whole "Prague is an oppressive shithole trying to act like it's doing the right thing" idea. While it's bright and sunny out as you walk around, the streets are narrow, the walls are tall, grey, and imposing, and a lot of the monuments have chain/prison cell-esque imagery, in varying degrees of subtlety.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kiebland posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is doing a pretty decent job on selling the whole "Prague is an oppressive shithole trying to act like it's doing the right thing" idea. While it's bright and sunny out as you walk around, the streets are narrow, the walls are tall, grey, and imposing, and a lot of the monuments have chain/prison cell-esque imagery, in varying degrees of subtlety.

"Act like its Trying to do the right thing." Augs get a special car on the metro, and the entrance and platform are sectioned of and the Aug section of the platform is filthy. They do a good job of approximating a fascist hellhole. So many little touches of oppression. I'm contemplating starting over and going full combat, and seeing if I can kill every last shithead cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can do this with the music instruments in Majora's Mask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goMixt-6fEs