Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

generative grammer posted:

All that stuff sounds like something an overly trustful, probably codependent, person with no sense of personal boundaries and privacy would think is good and cool, but then again I'm from a culture where people tend to keep even their closest friends at an arm's length

e: Also CULTISH

I was in de facto sorority if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This was in Australia, where gently making fun of complete strangers to their face is traditionally considered part of being friendly with them, but assholes can use it as an excuse to go too far and assholes are overrepresented amongst guys who start conversations with strangers in gyms.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe I just live in a weirdly nice community or something but do adults really just make fun of other adults who they don't know whatsoever in real life like that? Like to the point that going to a new gym is uncomfortable?

Sounds like a good way to get your rear end beat one day to me lol.

This may shock you but adults are giant children and pick on people.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moon Atari posted:

This was in Australia, where gently making fun of complete strangers to their face is traditionally considered part of being friendly with them, but assholes can use it as an excuse to go too far and assholes are overrepresented amongst guys who start conversations with strangers in gyms.

ah yes i see you live in the garbage society on garbage island goondolences

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oh that's the other thing - you don't have to talk to anyone at the gym. I go to the same gym 2x daily and only ever talk to a few vets I recognize from work or introduced themselves.

If someone talks to you shrug and point at your earphones. What you hinted at, and Nice Guys don't seem to get is that real life isn't highschool. You don't have to pine after some crush because there are thousands of other women, and you aren't limited to who you sit behind in math class. Similarly, dudes at the gym have zero bearing on your life. They aren't the "cool kids" or "jocks" they're guys that you might see for 45 minutes once in a while and they can't do anything to you.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
bring a gun and show those jocks who the real man is

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

edit: that other dude is right a single off the cuff remarks didn't cause the issue, its your zero self esteem and massive sadbrains. go get help

I was exaggerating the effect on me to go with the hyperbole about men being incapable of true friendship, but critical comments when you're already feeling kind of poo poo about your appearance will rattle anybody at least a little. I don't think you need impenetrable self-esteem armour to not be 'sadbrains'. Hell, most of the current lifecoaching lit that I peddle suggests the opposite, that knowing you have vulnerabilities and accepting them rather than trying to defeat them is actually more productive.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
ah I'm out of TP. better drive to Pick's place to get more

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Sintax posted:

bring a gun and show those jocks who the real man is

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Arian_Samurai posted:

Just my racist friend Kramer

Kramer isn't racist! Michael Richards is. :colbert:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Stinky_Pete posted:

ah I'm out of TP. better drive to Pick's place to get more

If you were a key-level friend I wouldn't give a poo poo

because I'd have nothing to wipe with! :haw:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pick posted:

If you were a key-level friend I wouldn't give a poo poo

because I'd have nothing to wipe with! :haw:

poo poo I have had maybe 2-3 key level friends since 2002, and I usually end up dating them.. maybe you are just lucky with having good close friends :smithfrog:

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Update on weird kid: He didn't show up for work and hung up when I called.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ChickenWyngz posted:

for the best that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

This guy should engineer a nuclear war, then the ladies will be all over his hunting and fishing skills

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

cheetah7071 posted:

This guy should engineer a nuclear war, then the ladies will be all over his hunting and fishing skills

You'd think a man whose masculinity hinges solely on doing activities considered manly instead of personality would be more in demand.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Moon Atari posted:

Women lack penises, so must use material trinkets as a symbolic replacement serving the same function that the oral transfer of semen plays in male platonic bonding. The true tragedy in this is that gender wage disparity means that women are doubly burdened by this extra expense.

Men! :argh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

This may shock you but adults are giant children and pick on people.

sure but usually not so openly

Frosted Flake posted:

You don't have to pine after some crush because there are thousands of other women, and you aren't limited to who you sit behind in math class.anything to you.

this was a concept that helped me out a lot. My life got way better after I decided pining after some dumb girl who showed 0 interest for the last 5 years was retarded. I even asked her out and she said no and I still pined for a year after that.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
life got easier when i gave up on things and became a nihilistic cynical rear end in a top hat.

It's weird how women actually pursue you when you show no interest and are kind of a jerk because literally nothing matters.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

life got easier when i gave up on things and became a nihilistic cynical rear end in a top hat.

It's weird how women actually pursue you when you show no interest and are kind of a jerk because literally nothing matters.

You must also be reasonably good-looking (I'm basically the same but obese)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i think its the doublehanded fist chop that makes the ladies :swoon:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

sometimes it's a little TOO intimate

like when your friend calls excitedly at 2am to tell you about the trans girl they just hooked up with. Like cool guy but this isn't information I need at this juncture lol.

he said straight.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Unibomber seeks companion.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

id be key-tier friends with you pick just promise not to bring your weird horse people friends to my house

also promise not to bring actual horses, but those make better company than horse people so I could probably deal

ChickenWyngz posted:

Haha what a goof

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
I cannot be the only person who cringes at the mere mention of "mixed martial arts," right? It's like the new, 'my hands are registered as a weapon in this state."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Space Poodle posted:

I cannot be the only person who cringes at the mere mention of "mixed martial arts," right? It's like the new, 'my hands are registered as a weapon in this state."

never met a normal person who did mma its a big red flag imo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Eeh if you hang out with military, cops, EMT or fire it's inevitable that someone will do a martial art of some kind.

Wearing Everlast or Tap-out stuff in public though, that's a red flag.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Eeh if you hang out with military, cops, EMT or fire it's inevitable that someone will do a martial art of some kind.

no no no we're talking about "mixed martial arts"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm really more a fan of mixed marital arts, personally.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

yes, all occupations consisting of a larger than normal percentage of broken people

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blue Train posted:

yes, all occupations consisting of a larger than normal percentage of broken people

kaching

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
One of my friends is a flight attendant with an MMA boyfriend. One day she texted a male friend to tell him that she had his favorite celebrity on one of her flights and he texted back a smiley face. The next day MMA boyfriend showed up at the guy's former workplace because it was still listed on his Facebook bio saying he'd kick his rear end. He bellowed a bit more, shoved over a shelf, and split before the cops showed up.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I feel like this dude is one of those nice guys that arent really that nice

quote:

“Being a MALE is a matter of birth, being a MAN is a matter of age, but being a GENTLEMAN is a matter of choice,” he posted last year.

quote:

Aysha, I hope you die, you sl*t

I swear on the Koran, I swear on God, I’m not leaving today

And I hope you die, you f***ing sl*t. You f***ed 12 guys, you sl*t. You f***ed 12 guys. You f***ing sl*t. You f***ing sl*t.”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wouldn't you want someone with lots of sex practice. they'll be better at it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Pick I can't give you a key but you can feel free to climb into my window whenever like that kid in Clarissa Explains it All.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

im the baddest mama jama u have ever met

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ChickenWyngz posted:

I'm telling you, he's planning a spree killing.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Yeah but people's thresholds for this are so low now. Like if a guy gives another guy a nice clipboard suddenly he's Mr Homo Clipboard who wants gay times from the recipient. Just nuts.

Yeah. My male coworkers from my first job thought I was gay for a long time because I was equally as nice to them as the ladies.

The thing is, you have to be pretty dumb to date inside your office gay or not. Being nice helped the day go by faster.

Learned my lesson. It's better to treat everyone indifferently. In other words, give everyone an equal chance to disappoint you.

Salty Josh fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Frosted Flake posted:

Wearing a Tap-Out shirt pretty much tells me that the word "consent" is not in your vocabulary.

• Locked thread