Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I love how people are getting up in arms about this ship transfer thing.

Yes. It's not realistic. The point is it's there because sometimes you need to sacrifice these things for good gameplay. People will get up in arms about good design decisions because it doesn't fit their perception of the game and courageous developers won't listen to this stuff if it legitimately makes the game better. Especially since nobody will actually quit the game over it.

Half of Elite's problem is them doubling down on dumb grognard poo poo like this and the other half is complete lack of depth and lack of things players can do together that is actually fun.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

That doesn't address the fact that you need poo poo that takes cargo space, causes pirates to chase you, and only come from missions. Whereas if you're out of sulphur you can go to any planet that has 25% or more sulphur and spend 10 minutes collecting another 100.

In my experience, I always ended up having tons of everything except 1 component to do upgrades. And those components were always things that required rare drops from USSes or Missions. If you have the materials, then by all means use them. But if you don't have them, and just want to get it done ASAP, use the level 1 modification route.

I suppose. I have just never worried about interdictions and such because submit, boost, boost, jump is too reliable. And keep in mind, when i'm describing this, I'm never making useful mods. I'll make ANY mod that I happen to have mats for (that does not use rare material) to level up. I seriously think that is why some of the more ridiculous and useless mods are even in the game, to level up.

Part of it has to do with efficiency in finding mats. Nearly every mat(gently caress exquisite crystals), rare or not, has specific methods to find it easily. That means that if you I go looking for Imperial shielding, for instance, I'm going to find it within about 20 minutes, because it ONLY shows up reliably in systems with the specific criteria for it to spawn. Since they nerfed the grind, I think I've fully modded.... maybe ... 11 ships? (highly recommend modifying a sidewinder btw. People just don't expect a Sidewinder to move or bite like that) I don't know. I'm playing Elite Pokemon now and trying to collect them all.

Luccion fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 22, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a great general purpose ship? I loved the Python for this but Jesus that thing is a loving pig in combat now.

Alternatively, how do you keep other pythons from simple butt hugging you? Or any other ships for that matter.

Also thanks for the sothis info, been looking for a way to make decent bucks. Should have abused Robigo slave trade more.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Thronde posted:

Anyone have a great general purpose ship? I loved the Python for this but Jesus that thing is a loving pig in combat now.

Alternatively, how do you keep other pythons from simple butt hugging you? Or any other ships for that matter.

Also thanks for the sothis info, been looking for a way to make decent bucks. Should have abused Robigo slave trade more.

Keep the Python, upgrade it via Engineers, and then regret your insults to that fine hull as you happily scythe through anything the game has to offer while completing missions and puttin' around doing stuff in your "best general purpose ship in the game."

But to make the Python sing in combat, you have to be absolutely comfortable with boost turning with FA-OFF. Alternatively, you could just FA-OFF, fly backwards, and watch NPC's die because for whatever reason, they cannot deal with a player flying backwards effectively.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Guys, we went through this a lot in the wildstar thread. Tedium is not challenge. Tedium doesn't make things more difficult, it just makes them more annoying. There is nothing in making ship transport take time that increases the mechanical difficulty of the game, it just adds a layer of stupidity.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

What was the SRV fuel thing about? Like I know they have fuel, but you're way more likely to run out of hull than you are fuel. Was it different before?
They initially didn't use fuel at all because "driving around is fun as poo poo, worrying about fuel doesn't add anything to that".

I'm paraphrasing, but that was basically the lead designer's position. The brown sea were up in arms about it though, it's just not realistic you see.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Guys, we went through this a lot in the wildstar thread. Tedium is not challenge. Tedium doesn't make things more difficult, it just makes them more annoying. There is nothing in making ship transport take time that increases the mechanical difficulty of the game, it just adds a layer of stupidity.

In fairness most people here support the instant ship teleport, other than a couple dumb people.

My thought process was exactly the following. It took all of 2 minutes to work out:

1. Huh, there's no delay? That's unrealistic! :argh:
  2. Actually if there was a 10 minute delay I'd just be sitting there doing nothing. That's even dumber
  3. Why am I thinking so hard about a dumb space game?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Hey you! Yeah, you! Are you coming back after months of inactivity? Are you a complete newbie? Do you want to learn how to do engineer stuff? Then boy do I have the thing for you! I present "The Tadpole's Uplifting Engineering Primer" -- this will tell you what you need to know, what you need to do, and all that great stuff. Check it out here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

The guide is written with a clueless idiot in mind. It's based primarily on my own experiences in getting max rank with everyone. It is factually correct as of this time. I am constantly updating it, adding poo poo that I come across that might be useful Give it a read and let me know if it helps.

If someone wants to help me convert it into a forum post I'd be down for that too.

This is great, thank you so much! I just got back into the game after being away for over a year, and bought Horizons. Just bought a Cobra M3, now I need to grind up to afford that 'budget' tier outfitting. Do people tend to base out of particular systems? If I'm gonna start a livery of spaceboats, should I be looking for a system that's near the outside of the bubble, or intersecting two superpowers, or what?

Also, any tricks on jumping up from the 300-600K wallet to the low millions? Loads of trucking missions?

Edit: I guess I should be paying attention to all these tips about long-haul Sothis runs!

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 22, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Power Walrus posted:

This is great, thank you so much! I just got back into the game after being away for over a year, and bought Horizons. Just bought a Cobra M3, now I need to grind up to afford that 'budget' tier outfitting. Do people tend to base out of particular systems? If I'm gonna start a livery of spaceboats, should I be looking for a system that's near the outside of the bubble, or intersecting two superpowers, or what?

Also, any tricks on jumping up from the 300-600K wallet to the low millions? Loads of trucking missions?

Edit: I guess I should be paying attention to all these tips about long-haul Sothis runs!

Sothis sucks until you get at least an Asp Explorer. Instead do this:

There are 2 systems, Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716. Yes they are kinda out there - but here is the deal - these 2 systems have a total of 5 stations that give out a TON of missions to each other., we are talking about tons of 0 cargo data delivery missions that pay anywhere from 40k-200k depending on your faction standing.

This is essentially the way to grind imperial faction but it's also a fantastic way to make money early on in a crap ship as you can easily load a full 20 data missions and earn ~500k in 1 jump which early on is huge.

Also you will often get ~110ly cargo hauls there that pay ~1mil for ~10 cargo. These maybe worth it to you at least till you get an Asp Explorer which is the first ship imo that is big enough to make Sothis runs worthwhile.

Edit: Also keep in mind it's very possible that using this method you will very quickly get to allied and possibly start getting missions well above your 'rank' and thus interdicted by really nasty ships. If all you are taking are data collection missions, it doesn't matter if you die. You do not fail them on death and you'll be earning more than the cost of your insurance on a single mission.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 22, 2016

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Hey I'm pretty ok with ship transfer being hideously expensive, so as to allow you to trasnfer from time to time as your base of operation changes, and taking maybe 24 hours to move a ship vs it being instant. I think all of that is a-ok and not too harmful. That said I'm an EveLite Dangerous kinda guy.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

Sothis sucks until you get at least an Asp Explorer. Instead do this:

Awesome advice, thank you!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've been doing the Aditi > Diamond Vision run that the fellow in the thread suggested today and it's pretty fantastic. You even get the odd smuggling mission which can be 3m+ to go 11LY for not that much cargo space.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Flying through the core in my 39ly range Asp and I'm reduced to one letting one jump at a time, this is painful. Help a bit if I set the load slider to pretend I have 100% cargo and lower jump range, but the game just grinds when I try to plot more than 100ly ahead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheTrend posted:

Hey I'm pretty ok with ship transfer being hideously expensive, so as to allow you to trasnfer from time to time as your base of operation changes, and taking maybe 24 hours to move a ship vs it being instant. I think all of that is a-ok and not too harmful. That said I'm an EveLite Dangerous kinda guy.

This is a bad opinion by a bad person.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

This is a bad opinion by a bad person.

Nah

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

oRGy posted:

hey cool, it's like talking to redditors who know more about what's in the game 8 years from now than braben himself. hows the diamond frogs thing going btw?

edit: bonus ironic quote

pretty chill with the 2.2 news overall, just seems like one of those frontier "add x feature without thinking about meta/balance" to me, but time will tell.

:allears:

is there a 'go back to eve' smiley?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't have 24 hours to wait if I want to move a ship, it'd be DOA as a feature because it would be much easier to just go loving get the bastard myself. Also, paying a significant chunk of the ship's value is a pain in the dick, but bearable, as long as I get the ship now, not next week. I'd rather not pay a significant chunk of cash to get my ship moved to me to be honest.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I don't have 24 hours to wait if I want to move a ship, it'd be DOA as a feature because it would be much easier to just go loving get the bastard myself. Also, paying a significant chunk of the ship's value is a pain in the dick, but bearable, as long as I get the ship now, not next week.

Ok

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

illectro posted:

Flying through the core in my 39ly range Asp and I'm reduced to one letting one jump at a time, this is painful. Help a bit if I set the load slider to pretend I have 100% cargo and lower jump range, but the game just grinds when I try to plot more than 100ly ahead.

There's a magic number calculator you can use. You can either read this thread and make a google doc with the formula in it to figure out your jump plot range, or download this tool and have it do it for you.

Having done multiple trips through the core, this is the only way to do it and stay sane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysqGpTD1NM

Video link for people who can't read.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 22, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Power Walrus posted:

Awesome advice, thank you!

Keep in mind there are def 'better' ways to earn money than what I suggested - but reality is you're probably going to be doing the Imperial Rank grind sooner or later anyway - you might as well do it while the payout is actually meaningful to you. You can rank up to Master in no time and get yourself an Imperial Courier (which isn't a great ship but is a great looking ship, so you can fly it around for a few hours and then put it away to be never touched again because the Asp Explorer is better in every way.)

Personally, I wouldn't go to Sothis until Ceos is fixed. Once it is, you can do the same stuff there to level up rankings with the factions there including Sirius Corp.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Did I miss something with this "hideously expensive" talk? The one screenshot I saw was something like 600k to move a Beluga almost 200ly. 600k to take a ship that will probably cost up to a billion to A-fit and teleport it most of the way across the bubble. And all of the other examples on there were far less expensive IIRC.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Power Walrus posted:

Aside from the Wu Guinagi/HIP 10716 bounce mentioned earlier, anarchy base assaults. They used to be well-paid for something you could do in a Sidewinder with a single beam laser (and maybe a vehicle hangar if you really want to); now they can be outright ridiculous in how much you can earn with just a minute upgrade to your starting equipment. With a bit of searching around, you may even find a mission board that lets you stack up a bunch of them against the same base, accelerating the matter further. Even with the addition of ships that guard some bases, they're silly easy to do and unless they have an explicit no-death clause, you might as well use the ship (or SRV) as an exotic form of ammo because they're so cheap.

e: wurds r hard.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 22, 2016

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Aside from the Wu Guinagi/HIP 10716 bounce mentioned earlier, anarchy base assaults. They used to be well-paid for something you could do in a Sidewinder with a single beam laser (and maybe a vehicle hangar if you really want to); now they can be outright ridiculous in how much you can earn with just a minute upgrade to your starting equipment. With a bit of searching around, you may even find a mission board that lets you stuck up on a bunch of them against the same base, accelerating the matter further. Even with the addition of ships that guard some bases, they're silly easy to do and unless they have an explicit no-death clause, you might as well use the ship (or SRV) as an exotic form of ammo because they're so cheap.

That sounds cool, so I should stow my cobra and lightly trick out a sidewinder for these, in case they turn into suicide missions? Will the assault contracts be scaled to my combat ranking (Mostly Harmless)?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
EVE?

HEH, no thanks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

The thing that is most annoying about instant ship transfer is that it's prohibitively expensive.

Decide you want to participate in this new CG way outside the bubble? Have fun jumping your poo poo range Vulture or FDL all the way out there because you can't afford the millions cost to transfer it, instead of just waiting X minutes. It's going to be counter intuitive and limiting in the worst possible way.

I find it hilarious because everyone defending it to the death will be bitching about how expensive it is when it releases.

Nice actual meltdown :grin:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It should take at least ten minutes to refit a ship I mean do you people know how long it takes to install military hardware in real life?

Also if you fly the ship after 10 minutes but before 20, you should have a chance to explode. That's what you get for rushing out the dock without safety checks :nallears:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I don't have 24 hours to wait if I want to move a ship, it'd be DOA as a feature because it would be much easier to just go loving get the bastard myself. Also, paying a significant chunk of the ship's value is a pain in the dick, but bearable, as long as I get the ship now, not next week. I'd rather not pay a significant chunk of cash to get my ship moved to me to be honest.

Lol here we go already complaining about the cost.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
i made this for you all

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Lol here we go already complaining about the cost.

Nice continuing meltdown :grin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

It should take at least ten minutes to refit a ship I mean do you people know how long it takes to install military hardware in real life?

Also if you fly the ship after 10 minutes but before 20, you should have a chance to explode. That's what you get for rushing out the dock without safety checks :nallears:

Some time ago I posted a short horror story about the life support on my Anaconda going haywire, filling the air in my ship with toxic stuff, making me slowly go mad. (To explain why I rushed back to civilization and later started the same journey with a shiny new Cutter.)

There are people who want stuff like this to happen.

I say we give it to them. Maybe if every trip ends in hallucinations, madness and alien parasites nibbling at them, maybe then will they finally understand where they went wrong

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Power Walrus posted:

That sounds cool, so I should stow my cobra and lightly trick out a sidewinder for these, in case they turn into suicide missions? Will the assault contracts be scaled to my combat ranking (Mostly Harmless)?

Unless you absolutely intend to fight any guarding ships (and you'll quickly learn which bases and missions have those), there's very little reason to pick a larger/more expensive ship yourself. In the past, I've seen the suggestion to use missiles instead of beams, at which point a larger ship would let you carry more, but I haven't tried it myself and they've nerfed the silly missile explosion radius that made those good anyway.

As for the contracts, they'll be at whatever rank they are, which may or may not coincide with your rank.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheTrend posted:

Boy do I have the game for you! Check it out: https://www.eveonline.com/

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

KakerMix posted:

Even with this though the game is instanced. Instancing means this will never ever be like EVE in the way people would like it to be. Someone will always be able to get past whatever blockades or gangs or wars or whatever you as a player might want to mount because the servers will sheer off players that you will not be able to influence. Instancing is the true difference that will make sure Elite is never like EVE.

Instancing will be a major barrier to communities ever reaching the level of EVE, true. As will the ability to switch off other humans at will in that closed/private mode. Both of those things disconnect players from interacting with each other.

However, despite those things being baked into Elites design, I still think that Frontier are actively trying to foster player communities and outwardly present ED as a social experience. Just look at what they put on their live streams.

It is however not being pitched as a competitive experience like EVE and that is a significant distinction. Despite the game bring named 'dangerous' Frontier place very little emphasis on random player on player violence.

Social tools will come, but probably not in any form of territorial PvP conflict.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Dabir posted:

Boy do I have the game for you! Check it out: https://www.eveonline.com/

You're right. No game has individual systems or ideas that could be iterated on and implemented in a similarly themed but seperate unique game to the betterment of that games experience for its users.

Or as I like to call it: Nah, but thanks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

loving 24 hours to transfer ships? :laffo:

loving grogs man. 😂

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you really want EVE-lite then you better cross your fingers for Star Citizen or something because it's just not gonna happen with Elite.

And also because CCP is to lost up their own rear end in a top hat to ever think about making EVE 2 before their game dies a slow, pathetic death.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FileNotFound posted:

There are 2 systems, Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716. Yes they are kinda out there - but here is the deal - these 2 systems have a total of 5 stations that give out a TON of missions to each other., we are talking about tons of 0 cargo data delivery missions that pay anywhere from 40k-200k depending on your faction standing.

Thanks for this!

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

loving 24 hours to transfer ships? :laffo:

loving grogs man. 😂

I'd say nice meltdown but it was funnier when it was funny like 10 years ago. I first saw it used to comic effect in TRP many moons ago. I like the idea of cost or time maybe not both.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I just had this crazy idea. If instant transfer is too "immersion breaking" don't use it. Or buy a timer and set it when you transfer your ship to your preferred amount of time and when it goes off you can retrieve your freshly delivered ship.

What is with people trying to police how others play a video game? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait what's up with ceos?

• Locked thread