Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Just popping in to say afaik I'm only goon in AoS, and citizen didn't become to top guild on Fippy until Omens when most of TL quit after finishing GoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm in AoS too

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks to Korrupt for trying to help me out with KT today. Too hectic though. I'll just get my turn in during our Tuesday Kael raids.

For a dude with a miserable rep, he was really nice and tried to help me out, with no reason to.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
As a Bard in one of the top guilds I quit at GOD when I hit the early raids. The difficulty was off the chart for a guild in full time gear. Progression sorta stalled at some of the hardest bosses. I was told back then it was because GOD did not give any levels at the last moment, making gated progression the only process to move forward.

My vote is to make GOD super short or give the levels back so we're not fighting end game with such a handicap.

For World of Warcraft's faults, making low levels go faster was a good idea for them as x packs come out. You cant keep a happy population when a young player cant catch a player that started at the game opening ever. There needs to be a happy point that lets everyone catch up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My understanding is that GoD got nerfs over time to not be near as difficult at the intended level. That plus how players are generally more powerful at lower levels than they used to be has made people say GoD should be fine.

If it's still a problem, I don't see how it couldn't be fixed with a negative MotM buff.

Have they said when they plan on no longer adding MotM?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xZAOx posted:

My understanding is that GoD got nerfs over time to not be near as difficult at the intended level. That plus how players are generally more powerful at lower levels than they used to be has made people say GoD should be fine.

If it's still a problem, I don't see how it couldn't be fixed with a negative MotM buff.

Have they said when they plan on no longer adding MotM?

GoD should be fine as you said, buffs over time plus nerfs to GoD.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I think MotM ends with Luclin , don't recall any buffed mobs when we were clearing pop, god, or Omens on the quarm server.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Krazuel posted:

I think MotM ends with Luclin , don't recall any buffed mobs when we were clearing pop, god, or Omens on the quarm server.

They haven't instanced that stuff yet. Word of mouth says they're not going to MOTM buff Planes and on, but I've heard the same about Luclin even though the MOTM in Luclin is pretty weak.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

xZAOx posted:

To follow up, most of GoD's problems were related to developer's vision, changes to combat mechanics, and zone design.

The part of GoD intended for raiding progression (Kod'Taz -> Ikkinz /Yxxta -> Uqua (cursed be thy name) -> Qvic ->Inktu'ta ->Txevu ->Tacvi) was accessed by single-group flagging envisioned to only be accessible to Time-geared groups. Of course, if you're balancing the boss mbos you kill in the flagging missions around something that a Time-geared warrior with defensive can tank but an elemental geared warrior cannot, you're immediately excluding any and all Pal/SK tanks from these fights (but not, as it turned out, rangers with weaponshield or charmed mobs with 20k HP). So while trash mobs were manageable to balanced groups, named mobs typically shredded any tanks who lacked the defensive discipline.

On combat mechanics, GoD saw the first buff to mob attack rating since the game's inception (similarly, there was a hardcap on the effectiveness of worn AC at 1200 up until PoP which was why velious/luclin era tanks stacked HP over all), with one exception; the Avatar of War was the only mob up through Quarm with elevated attack, which is why he was so good at shredding people. This change meant that mobs with similar max hits as PoP mobs were suddenly much more lethal to people, especially those with low AC. Clothies and even clerics who didnt stack their armor were subject to getting one or two-rounded by an unchecked enemy. The attack buff did get scaled back a bit later in the expansion, but still kept the expansion dangerous.

On design, the zones were packed tightly with mobs, and had a nasty class mix, namely that the Ikaav (snakes) were almost universally enchanters and that the Aneuks (yellow skull floaty guys) were almost universally shamans, and they were all over the place. This lead to virtually every mob in the expansion starting fights with a haste buff, which on top of the aforementioned offensive buffs, often meant that even a pull of two mobs at once could wind up with a group member dead if there was a resist on a mez or slow in the first few seconds. To make matters worse, these mobs ALSO summoned two swarm pets (on top of their enchanter/shaman normal pets) that would swing for double-600s at the expansion's start. I remember that (and their pets) being specifically nerfed to ~200 damage about 6 months later.

Brutal expansion. At least Inktu'ta was the most imaginative and fun raid in EQ history at the time. Too bad it was put on the other side of the shitshow that was Uqua.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Stupid thing is, we (TR) closed beta tested GoD raid encounters with the expansion gear and told them pretty much this and they were like "nah, players with adapt". They sure did and a mass exodus went to WoW.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

BioThermo posted:

Brutal expansion. At least Inktu'ta was the most imaginative and fun raid in EQ history at the time. Too bad it was put on the other side of the shitshow that was Uqua.

Frankly, once it was figured out, I think Uqua is one of the best raid zones there is for that expansion (certainly not on the level of Inktu'ta, but very little is). It's one of the few raid zones that forces you to deal with limited resources:
1. You have the zonewide debuff that invalidates movement buffs, reduces your stats, and forces you to give up a potentially valuable item slot for the blocker items, that vanish if you die
2. You have to deal with swarms of mobs that spawn when you hit non-visible traps, meaning your raid group's poo poo has to be together to handle mobs that hit as hard as Ikkinz 4 encounters, but without any of the prep time for them.
3. You're on a time limit to get both Furious and Enraged dead, loot their item, and turn it in to turn off the debuff so you can deal with Barxt
4. Barxt himself is both a control fight and a dps race (dps race to kill the golem before it FDs, control to deal with the guard dudes and Barxt before you die)
5. Being being stupid and dying is immediately punished by spawning ghosts.

Literally the only thing I find that is overkill is the ghosts proccing that DD ability they have, since its the first thing they do with their round of melee which almost always murders some poor fool and now you have two ghosts.

Conversely, Ikkinz had a great idea behind it that failed utterly. The first Ikkinz raid's boss shifting form is completely meaningless, two has the research (?) thing which is more or less meaningless and otherwise its completely straight forward, three had the completely retarded 'you must kill golems with a specific class/archetype', and the boss of four I think resets without any warning and will remove all agro, to which it then proceeds to murder all dps.

Txevu is also just a huge slog. Uqua though, that was a great 'do you have your poo poo together' check that I appreciate to this day. Plus the cragbeast queen quest item drops are nice.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Am I too late to join in on Quarm? I have the next 13 days off of work and would really love to do some OOW. Would I have to poopsock to get to level 70 as a warrior? Hows the EXP and the 51-65 grouping?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Experience is pretty fast can probably even buy a fast powerlevel if you can part with a few kronor. You only have to beat group trials for the reward so you have time as long as server hasn't died. I haven't logged in since beating omm. Server is still supposed to stay up for another month and a half or so I'd imagine people doing multiple runs for alt accounts

Apze
Jul 4, 2014
I'm also in Entendre currently, although I was in AoS and TL previously. If anyone needs some assistance on Phini let me know, I don't log on for much but raids currently so you'll probably have to let me know here :D

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What was the zone that had the 6(?) trials, I believe it was OoW, one of them was Simon Says and another was one where you were supposed to kill a monster, but a "raid" of NPCs beat you there and instead you had to kill the raid to complete the trial.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

MF_James posted:

What was the zone that had the 6(?) trials, I believe it was OoW, one of them was Simon Says and another was one where you were supposed to kill a monster, but a "raid" of NPCs beat you there and instead you had to kill the raid to complete the trial.

Proving Grounds

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Apze posted:

I'm also in Entendre currently, although I was in AoS and TL previously. If anyone needs some assistance on Phini let me know, I don't log on for much but raids currently so you'll probably have to let me know here :D

Welcome to PL me. Pugging is poo poo since everyone wants to do velks :(

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Apze posted:

Entendre crew checking in. I came from OGC/Citi, but whatevs. My crew is currently leveling alts in the high 40s/low 50s.

In game same as SA username.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Just started playing a paladin on Phinigel.

Having come from P99 I dont have much but so far I have been having a blast. I like the rule set and how it really emphasizes group leveling (a great change of pace from p99 where exp is split so badly you are always better off soloing).

Names Percocet (level 15) if you see me in unrest toss me a buff / group invite. Or not, i'm not telling you what to do.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Seems a good chunk of people on phinny but not in the goon channel.

Serverwide.gchat:fygm

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Tai posted:

Welcome to PL me. Pugging is poo poo since everyone wants to do velks :(

Sure, I'm up to 4 epic mages now so the kills go pretty darn fast.

koreban posted:

Entendre crew checking in. I came from OGC/Citi, but whatevs. My crew is currently leveling alts in the high 40s/low 50s.

In game same as SA username.

I'm currently playing Benito, my dkp is kinda a big deal. Can't wait for bsts though, my leveling path is pretty OP.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Zombones posted:

poo poo i could never care about

after searching for 100 years on twitter i remembered you exist on SA where the gently caress are you where is this man

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is Luclin still currently where to go for new/returning players? Qarm? I'd like to start a new character but it'd be nice to play with some goons.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Handful of us playing on Phinigel, not sure where else

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well if anyone is still poking around on Luclin, I'm Goonak in Ominous Latin Words. 60 SK, no real plans, just messing around earning some AAs and probably a few levels. I'll also be creating a new character at some point so if anyone is interested in starting fresh I'd be down.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have a couple of days off and Nostalgia strikes.

I was totally hardcore raider from '99 to around 2003, and then followed my friends to other games after we had Quarm on farm status.
Is it worth the trouble trying to recover my old shaman (i had a Guise of the Deceiver, which is as I recall irreplacable) or should I just start from scratch on the new server on a new account?

I have no interest in hardcore raiding, I just want to gently caress around and explore some.... and get phat lewt obviously.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Back a few years ago I had a lot of fun dusting off my old toon and just going on a nostalgia trip, when it went F2P.

Get defiant gear, get a few levels and AA (although with the auto-grant now, might not even need to do that). Go explore things and have fun.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

I have a couple of days off and Nostalgia strikes.

I was totally hardcore raider from '99 to around 2003, and then followed my friends to other games after we had Quarm on farm status.
Is it worth the trouble trying to recover my old shaman (i had a Guise of the Deceiver, which is as I recall irreplacable) or should I just start from scratch on the new server on a new account?

I have no interest in hardcore raiding, I just want to gently caress around and explore some.... and get phat lewt obviously.
I'd say it's worth the trouble, all it'll take it some chat, email or phone with customer service as far as I've heard from other goons. I think you'll appreciate getting your old account back instead of just making a new one, plus an existing account will have some grandfathered benefits such as Silver status, veteran rewards, etc., which are not negligible.

EQ today is perfect for "loving around an exploring", and after some quick leveling you can zap around the world and kill old bosses 'n poo poo. Shaman is not the best class for this, quite far from it to be honest, but if you level enough and get a Tank mercenary and a high level shaman pet, you can certainly make do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I had an account I gave to a friend back in 2000, had no idea what the password was, or the original credit card or password. Just knew the account name. Found out my friend got the account banned for duping items and STILL was able to get the account back after a few weeks of going back and forth with Customer Service.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I think I might still have my old vanilla, kunark and PoP CD's somewhere in the basement. Giving them the original codes might help.

I already logged in out of curiosity as a lvl 1 character... wow, not a good first impression tho ...

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

I think I might still have my old vanilla, kunark and PoP CD's somewhere in the basement. Giving them the original codes might help.

I already logged in out of curiosity as a lvl 1 character... wow, not a good first impression tho ...
It's pretty confusing yeah, and the UI certainly makes a bad impression. Spend some time chilling and getting acquainted with the UI, options and keybinds for a start.

Whether you start a new character or continue with your Shaman, I think you'll at least appreciate the soft start you get, with the advent of easy/fast leveling and mercenaries. Let us know which class you choose and what level you start at, and I can suggest some places to go and things to do. :)

nicehook
Dec 5, 2011
Currently on Phiney right now. Got a 56 PLD and a 41 WAR. Hoping to get into a a raiding guild like AoS once I make it to 60. XP WEEKEEEEND!

Pretty much my first time playing other than a total newb experience back when Luclin came out. Really enjoying it so far.

nicehook fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 4, 2016

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

nicehook posted:

Currently on Phiney right now. Got a 56 PLD and a 41 WAR. Hoping to get into a a raiding guild like AoS once I make it to 60. XP WEEKEEEEND!

Pretty much my first time playing other than a total newb experience back when Luclin came out. Really enjoying it so far.

Just a heads up, AoS is the quintessential "Top Guild" on the server, so they've got the usual attitudes and batphone raid calls all hours of the day. If that's what you're into, they should be top for another expansion or two at least. There are several goons in EoE, which is another high end raiding guild. There's a lot of history and some strong feelings amongst members of the top guilds. A lot of these people have been playing on progression servers for years, and some even go back to old live servers.

It sort of depends on what you're looking for in a guild. Some of the more casual guilds are still clearing all of the content.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
OGC is the other big "rival" top guild from what I'm seen. OGC and AOS are the ones most likely to be racing for the open world spawns.

I've had interactions with Korrupt from AoS, and he's been nothing but nice and helpful. He was trying to help me get a KT turn in as they were pulling it. Died a couple of times, Korrupt made sure I got rezzed. Jack(s?) from OGC rezzed me once. So, on the individual level, I've found them still nice people.

Darkwind X is a guild full of shitheads from what we've seen. That's the only consistently rear end in a top hat guild I've found.

BDA is one of those "casual" raid guilds - in that we don't require attendance or anything like that. But we raid M-Th night, 6pm central to about 9:30-10pm, clearing almost all Velious content. Doesn't really feel that casual, heh. Harder for us to get things going Fri-Sun, but that's when we do ST, Ring Wars, Phara Dar, any other cleanup stuff. Again, if we can get numbers. We only joined the server like 3 months ago.

Phinny raid scene though is super healthy - check out all the guilds killing poo poo:

http://phinnykills.com/

I've head DBC and CoC are kinda collapsing at the moment. They merged or something maybe?

nicehook
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up! The way I saw it EoE, OGC and AoS were the big three. Really haven't had much experience with any of them except for the odd member while levelling. I've been in a casual raiding guild while levelling and its been okay. Definitely a clique core, and a bunch of really bad players that can waste a ton of your time.

I'm used to the batphone (and kinda like it!) from selling boss-kills in FFXIV and the last few X-Pacs there I've even booked off a few weeks from work for progression.

My Pally is 59 now so won't be much longer until I start applying. Anyone know what the raid attendance requirements are? I work shift so will miss a couple a month.

Also, just picked up a second account and am shopping around for a second PC. Thinking of alt ideas to box with my PLD. Druid and SHM are the two I've read about most.

nicehook fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 4, 2016

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

OGC is the other big "rival" top guild from what I'm seen. OGC and AOS are the ones most likely to be racing for the open world spawns.

I've had interactions with Korrupt from AoS, and he's been nothing but nice and helpful. He was trying to help me get a KT turn in as they were pulling it. Died a couple of times, Korrupt made sure I got rezzed. Jack(s?) from OGC rezzed me once. So, on the individual level, I've found them still nice people.

Darkwind X is a guild full of shitheads from what we've seen. That's the only consistently rear end in a top hat guild I've found.

BDA is one of those "casual" raid guilds - in that we don't require attendance or anything like that. But we raid M-Th night, 6pm central to about 9:30-10pm, clearing almost all Velious content. Doesn't really feel that casual, heh. Harder for us to get things going Fri-Sun, but that's when we do ST, Ring Wars, Phara Dar, any other cleanup stuff. Again, if we can get numbers. We only joined the server like 3 months ago.

Phinny raid scene though is super healthy - check out all the guilds killing poo poo:

http://phinnykills.com/

I've head DBC and CoC are kinda collapsing at the moment. They merged or something maybe?

EoE did the 'batphone-race-for-stuff-at-all-hours' on Vulak and this time around we decided we don't really care to do it again. We'll still try to push for top billing, but we're not going to be up at all hours to do stuff to get a minor advantage over others. Our slow hours numbers (like last night, even during double xp) we had something like 5 people on, and most of those were afk in commonlands or neriak or something. AoS and OGC want to burn themselves out by doing so, that's more power to them.

I'm hearing rumors that most other raiding guilds are cold-contacting clerics because they're running out on ones that log in. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on other guilds or the state of the server with Velious running so long, we'll have to see when we're in month 3 of Luclin or month 4 or 5 of having Plane of Time and one or two LDoNs be our only raid content for awhile.

Oddly enough, EoE had 12 online for the last AoW, fulfilling Damdor's long desired dream of more clerics than we could possibly need. It was also our sloppiest AoW in months, for no reason I could really discern except people are tired of Velious. Half of those were boxes too, but EoE has always been box happy / friendly.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
OGC is not any sort of competition at all on Phinny, they haven't stuck their head out of an instance all expansion. The only guild that has given us any sort of competition at all is Rosenguard.
AoS raid requirements are just 35% atm, during Luclin it kinda bumps up, not for remaining in the guild but below 50% it limits how much DKP you are allowed to bid.

nicehook
Dec 5, 2011
Hey Krazuel, I just apped to AoS a few minutes ago. When I let my levelling guild (who I told of my intentions when I joined) know I was going to shop around they gkicked me instantly!

I got my level 60 ding sad and alone...

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

nicehook posted:

Hey Krazuel, I just apped to AoS a few minutes ago. When I let my levelling guild (who I told of my intentions when I joined) know I was going to shop around they gkicked me instantly!

I got my level 60 ding sad and alone...

I think we literally only have one main paladin, so you'll prob be golden as long as you show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.
I havent played since shortly after Kunark was unlocked, currently sitting at like 52 on an enchanter. Is it worth playing right now?