Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

This is very true. I've had the "Fast Girl" stereotype applied to me, but I've also gotten "You're not like other black girls.. you know they're loud". Also lots of comments about having "Good hair"

Oddly enough when I was dating a lighter skinned Haitain guy, I was told basically that they're fuckboys and will cheat. Usually here (in Detroit) I just hear that dark skinned men are "shady". I wonder how the perception changes from state to state or North/South.

Nah, if there's one thing that is universal among black people in America, its these stereotypes. But they change from generation to generation, with basically "who is the most fuckable black woman/man right now", but since Beyonce is caramel colored everyone is catching shade, both darkskin and lightskin people for the most asinine of reasons that basically boil down to "person of this color didn't like me/cheated on me so gently caress em all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

gfsincere posted:

Racism in dating will never not be hilarisad because of the justifications people attempt. "Darkskin men will cheat on you!" "Lightskin women are all hoes!"

If you ever drill down and ask them why, the conversation 112% of the time turns into a "who hurt you" situation.

A very disappointing moment for me was when I was with a group of people I had high opinions of talking about what the best and worst types of people to be in relationships with was. I thought it was pretty hosed up but I thought maybe I'm just not seeing where they're coming from and then one person said, "I hate dating black men."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
speaking as a Real Science Person, humans reproduce really slowly and you're not going to get significant evolution in just a few generations. If you actually wanted to implement a eugenics program you'd pick your "best" few slaves and have them knock up as many women as possible.

It's also kind of a self-own to advance the argument that black slaves were selectively bred, because presumably they would be selected for being more obedient and less intelligent along with strength and endurance etc

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Trump's problem is that he was maximum rear end in a top hat at the exact time the US electorate started paying attention to the election, and his polls instantly cratered everywhere as a result, and stayed cratered long past the "convention bounce" for Clinton could have been a thing.

Wishy washy fake moderation would have worked weeks ago, but I think it's way too late for that to change the fundamental state of the election being "Everyone that's not a huge rear end in a top hat hates Trump, a lot."

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

Nah. It's the Lightskin dudes from NYC who are the real savages. Will steal your girl and smile in your face while saying "no disrepect son, no disrespect"

Fixed that for ya brother man.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pellisworth posted:

speaking as a Real Science Person, humans reproduce really slowly and you're not going to get significant evolution in just a few generations. If you actually wanted to implement a eugenics program you'd pick your "best" few slaves and have them knock up as many women as possible.

It's also kind of a self-own to advance the argument that black slaves were selectively bred, because presumably they would be selected for being more obedient and less intelligent along with strength and endurance etc

to be fair he's saying that the selective breeding occurred unconsciously as part of some sort of capitalistic selection of the most fit workers

which is still a really bad and flawed argument with a ton of holes, but, you know, being fair and all

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gfsincere posted:

Nah, if there's one thing that is universal among black people in America, its these stereotypes. But they change from generation to generation, with basically "who is the most fuckable black woman/man right now", but since Beyonce is caramel colored everyone is catching shade, both darkskin and lightskin people for the most asinine of reasons that basically boil down to "person of this color didn't like me/cheated on me so gently caress em all."

It's almost never been a dark skinned woman(at least as long as I've been alive) always been some caramel woman who's the it Black girl.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Koalas March posted:

This is very true. I've had the "Fast Girl" stereotype applied to me, but I've also gotten "You're not like other black girls.. you know they're loud". Also lots of comments about having "Good hair"

Oddly enough when I was dating a lighter skinned Haitain guy, I was told basically that they're fuckboys and will cheat. Usually here (in Detroit) I just hear that dark skinned men are "shady". I wonder how the perception changes from state to state or North/South.

Same poo poo in DC/that mid-atantlic area. Light skinned pretty types are slutty as hell, but somehow at the same time dark skinned ugly people are trifling and will try to trap you into raising their kids. Also, some ~*unique island insight*~ huge stigma from older folks if you're dating an islander from a different island than you.

They don't get it when I try to explain no one in America but them can tell a Trini apart from a Jamaican apart from a Barbadian.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

I never said they were good at it. I said they did attempt it actively (and were poo poo at it apparently according to studies).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have only dated one black girl but it was long enough that I brought her to Thanksgiving and my old racist aunt was super uncomfortable. The rest of my family loved her though so at least I know most of my family is cool :unsmith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Detroit is super segregated. There way I'm treated in black circles and white circles is completely different. It's also interesting because at the moment I'm living in a middle class ($100,000 - $200,000 houses) neighborhood that is 85% black. Which is completely different from when I was 0-14 living in a upper-class white neighborhood, or 19-24 living in the hood. I've got a lot of weird experiences from living in different environments.

I am also mixed (Italian on mother's side), so sometimes people think I'm latina and I get racism there too. I've also been asked if I was Asian once. I guess I'm "ethnically ambiguous" which has it's own privileges and troubles.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Pellisworth posted:

As Thug Drink said, gfsincere's been pretty clear that he doesn't think black slaves were selectively bred in the purposeful and planned sense that I think you're describing.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

It's almost never been a dark skinned woman(at least as long as I've been alive) always been some caramel woman who's the it Black girl.

Yeah I cannot think of a dark skinned black woman who holds that position in our zeitgeist. And I doubt we'll have one for another generation at least.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Same poo poo in DC/that mid-atantlic area. Light skinned pretty types are slutty as hell, but somehow at the same time dark skinned ugly people are trifling and will try to trap you into raising their kids. Also, some ~*unique island insight*~ huge stigma from older folks if you're dating an islander from a different island than you.

They don't get it when I try to explain no one in America but them can tell a Trini apart from a Jamaican apart from a Barbadian.

Yall with the island wars are comical. So many Trini women said they would NEVER date a Jamaican dude because:
1) they try to trap you
2) possessive as gently caress
3) they don't want darkskin babies

Meanwhile the 3 lightest people I know are all Jamacians.

Ah, Brooklyn.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

nutranurse posted:

Yeah I cannot think of a dark skinned black woman who holds that position in our zeitgeist. And I doubt we'll have one for another generation at least.

Grace Jones?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sarmhan posted:

On USPOL news:
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/767839482359980033?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Three cancellations of the only events Trump actually enjoys doing.

So he's going to go into September without anything planned? What is he doing?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Does Kerry Washington count?

Wait, does she count as darkskin? Everyone has different qualifiers for it. Some people think darkskin is crispy black, others (*cough AKAs cough*) think anyone darker than a cardboard box is darkskin.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

gfsincere posted:

Yall with the island wars are comical. So many Trini women said they would NEVER date a Jamaican dude because:
1) they try to trap you
2) possessive as gently caress
3) they don't want darkskin babies

Meanwhile the 3 lightest people I know are all Jamacians.

Ah, Brooklyn.

Don't date Jamaican men for real tho. If we're fobs we can be pretty bad since Jamaican masculine culture is hilariously bad.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

First off, none of the people that immigration would effect believe him, but his rabidly racist supporters will...maybe. I mean, whenever something terrible he has said is pointed out to them, they respond "well you guys are just hearing it wrong", so maybe they will twist this and say he doesnt actually mean it. But then that flies in the face of their "I support Trump because he's a straight shooter".

So honestly who the gently caress knows.

They'll rationalize it as him "playing the media" or some such, most likely. Most people who really care about immigration probably won't buy it.

Also uh, this thread man. I'm not sure I want to wade back into that shitstorm for the good bits. :stare:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So he's going to go into September without anything planned? What is he doing?

People are saying that he's ill and can't keep up the pace necessary for a presidential campaign. I'm not saying it, but I have heard people talk about it. People are saying it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Lemme try another rephrase to see if I can get this right.

My perspective is that it's the various economic and social pressures.

Your perspective (as I understand it) is that it's the various economic and social pressures, plus genetic factors that derive from circumstantial and unintentional selective pressures exerted on the population by the stressors of being a slave in America.

Does this read as an accurate restatement of your perspective on the root causes of overwhelming black success in sporting events?

Yes it does. Literally the only person to understand what I was trying to say.

Or moreso, the only person not trying to be a blatant shithead and actually attempting a discussion.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

She was the 'weird' one much the same way Lady Gaga is the 'weird' one and definitely not the It Girl.

gfsincere posted:

Wait, does she count as darkskin? Everyone has different qualifiers for it. Some people think darkskin is crispy black, others (*cough AKAs cough*) think anyone darker than a cardboard box is darkskin.

Personally I wouldn't call her dark skinned. She's a bright mocha.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

gfsincere posted:

Given that I googled her and my immediate thought was that she was an extremely tan white lady from California, I would say no.

gfsincere posted:

Okay, gotcha. I think you're wrong, but I'm glad we were able to drill down and come to a point of actual contention instead of just pissing on each other.

gfsincere posted:

Or moreso, the only person not trying to be a blatant shithead and actually attempting a discussion.

I gotta be frank with you, dude. My impression of the events was that you were being extremely combative from word go. I have put unusual effort in to resolving this dispute. To some extent you were a victim of social inertia, but you were definitely not helping to de-escalate the situation. You shouldn't blame all of this on the rest of the board; turn your gaze inward and consider how you can improve your ability to have conversations about taboo poo poo like eugenics without these poo poo-storms a-brewin'.

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 22, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

She doesn't count she's some sort of glamorous amazon from beyond the stars.

Edit: Janelle Monáe is the only one that really springs to mind. She's awesome but that's sad. Even then she's not super dark skinned.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

to be fair he's saying that the selective breeding occurred unconsciously as part of some sort of capitalistic selection of the most fit workers

which is still a really bad and flawed argument with a ton of holes, but, you know, being fair and all

yeah evolution is not about who's toughest and strongest, it's about who reproduces more

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

plenty of people understand your argument. your argument is factually incorrect

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Hey I have a thing. A planned parenthood in Wisconsin (near where my mom is from) closed over safety concerns.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2016/08/22/fox-valley-abortion-clinic-closing/89099748/

Right wing peeps accused them of lying
http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/22/this-is-how-far-planned-parenthood-will-go-for-a-talking-point/

Exact location was bombed in 2012

http://www.ibtimes.com/planned-parenthood-center-bombed-wisconsin-amid-abortion-legislation-debates-432912

Welp

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Don't date Jamaican men for real tho. If we're fobs we can be pretty bad since Jamaican masculine culture is hilariously bad.

Yeah but that whole "let me paint all these dudes as terrible" is no bueno, because I've had it applied to me by a Nigerian girl that said black american men are lazy and don't take care of their kids and are poor, but I made a smooth 20k more than her a year while she still lived in her parents raised by a single mother who was ditched by a Nigerian man for a white woman.

Black race politics is confusing as poo poo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Incredible. He came up with a statement too vague and devoid of specifics to win anyone over, while also appearing wishy-washy enough to bother his bigot base.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

plenty of people understand your argument. your argument is factually incorrect

nope, you still continue to misunderstand it even though I've clarified it a bunch of times. You can either drop it or continue to be a shithead about it, but I don't care either way at this juncture.

Pellisworth posted:

yeah evolution is not about who's toughest and strongest, it's about who reproduces more

How does one reproduce whilst dead?

*I know I'm just asking for some creepy as gently caress story right now*

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

nope, you still continue to misunderstand it even though I've clarified it a bunch of times. You can either drop it or continue to be a shithead about it, but I don't care either way at this juncture.

being mad at me doesn't make your argument factually or scientifically valid. there was not enough time, nor strong enough pressure, for slavery to alter the genetics of african-americans in any meaningful way. you might as well argue that 9/11 was an inside job

accusing everyone who disagrees with you of racism or ignorance does not grow you as a person or allow you to learn from your mistakes

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

nutranurse posted:

lol my sister is engaged to a jamaican man, and my mom hates it and is constantly telling her stories about how they all have multiple wives and how he's just going to bury her with kids.

there are also other reasons she's advising against it but jesus christ

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Every single one of you should have better things to do on a Monday afternoon. Literally 20 pages of this poo poo. smh

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

nutranurse posted:

She was the 'weird' one much the same way Lady Gaga is the 'weird' one and definitely not the It Girl.

Personally I wouldn't call her dark skinned. She's a bright mocha.

Yeah what's unfortunate is you have Zendaya, Tessa Thompson, Keirsey Clemons, and Candice Patton playing these iconic roles that happen to be love interests (which means the audience needs to like them/think they're fuckable) but we can't have anyone "too dark".

I don't even know where to start with Viola Davis on HTGAWM. She owns her sexuality, runs a successful business, is bisexual and poo poo but she's not portrayed as desirable to the audience, which is both good and bad honestly. I think they are trying it with Michaela (Aja Naomi King) though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Every single one of you should have better things to do on a Monday afternoon. Literally 20 pages of this poo poo. smh

NOBODY loving CARES

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

How does one reproduce whilst dead?

*I know I'm just asking for some creepy as gently caress story right now*

I like how you don't even offer the option of an honest conversation.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

lol my sister is engaged jamaican man, and my mom hates it and is constantly telling her stories about how they all have multiple wives and how he's just going to bury her with kids.

there are other reasons she's advising against it but jesus christ

I mean, I've seen the rampant misogyny, but not in any way thats different from a regular rear end black dude. (not counting going to Jamaican clubs, because that poo poo in there *Obama forehead wipe*)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'd legitimately be interested in a thread about black complexion/nationality/decent/whatever politics, so long as eugenics aren't brought up.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

being mad at me doesn't make your argument factually or scientifically valid. there was not enough time, nor strong enough pressure, for slavery to alter the genetics of african-americans in any meaningful way. you might as well argue that 9/11 was an inside job

What Thug said. Just wasn't enough time to matter.

Dexo posted:

NOBODY loving CARES
perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, for shame all of you!

• Locked thread