Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

It's improv so it doesn't have to be funny.
Yes, and..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"This continues on and on in similar iterations forever and ever because Todd Margaret's mind is the universe and it occasionally needs a restart?"

And/or David Cross got high as balls and thought "gently caress man what if I was so important that the entire cosmos was in my mind," and ran with it

I watched the whole show a bunch of times, and I think it's literally just a continuation of the dream sequence from s1e2. It was bugging me because in an interview, David Cross said he got a short email from one of the other writers and in just a couple minutes was sold on the idea. It sounded like it must have been simple.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Borgia on Netflix. Not to be confused with Showtime's "The Borgias" which is also on Netflix. Honestly both are worth watching, but for different reasons.

Borgia is the grittier and more historically accurate of the two although the very international cast can seem distracting at first. I was completely addicted to it within the first episode or two and this series really got me into this particular part of history and the Borgia family.

The other version, The Borgias, is far less accurate but has some hilariously bad moments, like a guy being pushed into a pond of giant man eating eels. Prince Alfonzo of Naples is overly flamboyant and has a ridiculous accent and his death scene is just hilarious. Despite the camp, the set and filming quality is beautiful.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trojan.exe posted:

Borgia on Netflix. Not to be confused with Showtime's "The Borgias" which is also on Netflix. Honestly both are worth watching, but for different reasons.
I think one of them had queen Maergery Tyrell from GOT, otherwise both were differing levels of boring political drama about dead people who gently caress a lot and have some edgy-ish criticism about Catholicism

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Borgia is delightful and worthwhile viewing. The Borgias is garbage.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Started watching Hell on Wheels on Netflix the other day and have really gotten into it. It's centered around the building of the UP railroad and the town that traveled along with it. I'd never heard of the show but it has 6 seasons I think, so I'll stick with it until I get bored with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Joey Freshwater posted:

Started watching Hell on Wheels on Netflix the other day and have really gotten into it. It's centered around the building of the UP railroad and the town that traveled along with it. I'd never heard of the show but it has 6 seasons I think, so I'll stick with it until I get bored with it.

Oh boy you're in for a hell of a ride.. The mormon stuff is kind of slow paced in the later seasons but it changes pace and location a ton, which i something that killed me when i watched Deadwood.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'll stick with it until I get bored with it.

I made it 3 seasons. Episode 3.1 is the best.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man you guys weren't kidding. I'm already almost to the end of season 3. It's crazy good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Longmire is legit good, and you can recommend it to your grandma.

It was an excellent show for the first three seasons. Then it got picked up by Netflix.

Having more time to stretch out the episodes, and not being beholden to a new case every week made it even better. Pumped for S5 in a few weeks.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo the leg scene in season 4 episode 11 of Hell on Wheels.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pumped for S5 in a few weeks.
Oh you've got to be kidding :supaburn:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Amazon is doing their pilot season right now any everyone should watch THE TICK.

I had my reservations about the casting but I liked it and it was pretty dang funny. Go watch it and be sure to rate it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I liked the pilots/teasers for that So Dark/SoPretty show on Amazon, wouldn't mind seeing a season or two of it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Amazon is doing their pilot season right now any everyone should watch THE TICK.

I had my reservations about the casting but I liked it and it was pretty dang funny. Go watch it and be sure to rate it.

I'll watch it. The 2001 Tick had an awesome pilot but the series sucked.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Inzombiac posted:

I had my reservations about the casting but I liked it and it was pretty dang funny.
Peter Serofinowicz and Jackie Earl Hailey more than make up for any other deficencies in casting. Not a big fan of the suit, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, it looks like a repurposed Guyver suit with antennae stick on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wormil posted:

I'll watch it. The 2001 Tick had an awesome pilot but the series sucked.

Fight me you honorless whoreson.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

Fight me you honorless whoreson.

I'm doing Laundry!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I was reading about some upcoming Netflix stuff and found out that BBC America are doing a new Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency with Sam Barnett and Elijah Wood.

I was kind of hoping they would carry on the BBC4 version with Stephen Mangan as I thought that was ace, but this new one could be pretty good I guess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bogmonster posted:

I was reading about some upcoming Netflix stuff and found out that BBC America are doing a new Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency with Sam Barnett and Elijah Wood.

I was kind of hoping they would carry on the BBC4 version with Stephen Mangan as I thought that was ace, but this new one could be pretty good I guess.
100% more flying sex scenes in this one then

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched the Tick pilot as I was falling asleep last night, it was okay. I would watch 30 minute episodes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bogmonster posted:

Oh gently caress yes.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

Trojan.exe posted:

Cannot give enough of the Borgia love. I just finished it and its one of my favorites.

Imo the biggest difference between Borgia and The Borgias was the shoddy character development. Borgia really got you into the characters and the history of their family and the Church, whereas The Borgias just kinda throws you in mid election and you don't feel much for the characters.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
One thing I will say about the Tick is it is highly quotable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

One thing I will say about the Tick is it is highly quotable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcm-J7lQT3w

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've watched The Tick pilot 4X now. Parts are boring as hell (FF>>) but the show really brightens when the Tick starts monologuing. I had to look it up but the Tick is played by the jerk roommate, Pete, in Shaun of the Dead.

Also watched Jean Claude Van Johnson. The concept reminded me of an 80's series called Cover Up. The dialogue was rough and the script felt rushed, like it was written during the car ride to the set, during a hangover, with no editing or rewrites. One good proofreading would have improved it considerably. The pacing was a little slow but the end was a blast. If they fix the problems I would definitely watch the series.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

Also watched Jean Claude Van Johnson. The concept reminded me of an 80's series called Cover Up. The dialogue was rough and the script felt rushed, like it was written during the car ride to the set, during a hangover, with no editing or rewrites. One good proofreading would have improved it considerably. The pacing was a little slow but the end was a blast. If they fix the problems I would definitely watch the series.
You may not quite remember the Cover Up show as clearly as you think. It wasn't that funny, and it was also so bad that one of the main stars shot himself in the head - on set. The premise of a female "photographer" having a male model and then he's a undercover special forces soldier was pretty groundbreaking at the time but meh

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't know since when but Dead Set is up on Netflix. Looking forward to watching it again.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/70228945

wormil has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Sep 7, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just watched the first two episodes of Galavant on Netflix.
The problem with never watching broadcast TV is that you miss out of these shows until they maybe come to streaming.

It's a medieval comedy musical show with a great cast (Vinnie Jones, for one) and I, so far, adore it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh poo poo I only now noticed that season 2 of Narcos finally released :f5:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is up on Netflix. It's a very good tv version of a very good book, if presented completely differently than the book and missing the final 3rd. Very much worth a watch.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I picked Sweat Bean at random. Japanese movie about a small shop owner and an old woman he hires.

It's very pretty, and maybe half-as action packed at Jiro Dreams of Sushi (though it's not a documentary); probably the closest thing I can think of to taking a nap while still being awake. But if you like movies that are really tightly made and show a lot of restraint, it's a good one.

There's a part or two that can really tug at you, I welled up a couple of times.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Donald Glover is making an FX show called Atlanta and the first episode is floating around.

E:And I'm recommending that you watch it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm sure most of you know already. I've owned the movie multiple times over, but I'm super excited to be watching Big Trouble In Little China on Netflix right now!

Y'know what ole Jack Burton says at a time like this...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It's all in the reflexes

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

10 Beers posted:

Y'know what ole Jack Burton says at a time like this...

Yippie-Ki-Yay MotherFucker?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yippie-Ki-Yay MotherFucker?

The check is in the mail.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of Galavant on Netflix.

Thanks for posting this. I've been curious since it showed up on Netflix but I was scared itd be awful or just boring.

Started watching based on above recommendation and immediately binged the first six episodes. Funny start and it only gets stronger. Ended up really loving it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bale. posted:

Thanks for posting this. I've been curious since it showed up on Netflix but I was scared itd be awful or just boring.

Started watching based on above recommendation and immediately binged the first six episodes. Funny start and it only gets stronger. Ended up really loving it!

Now sprint through the rest and cry that you have no more. Season two has some excellent guest stars.

No one should watch Hellevator unless you're going to join Lowtax and I making fun of it on Twitter.
The concept of the show is actually pretty good but the Twisted Twins look like Evil Willow and sound like they are moments away from passing out.
Well, unless the one on the left is cackling over nothing.