Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

So I seized my Honda XL250S on the freeway because I am dumb and didn't check it's oil. I'm boring it out to at least 75mm from 74mm as the cylinder is scored to poo poo, and can't find any stock +1mm pistons for it. The only +1 oversize pistons that seem to be available for it are aftermarket Wiseco ones that bump the CR to 10:1 from 9.1:1. I run this bike to work (~30 miles on the freeway at 70MPH), off road, and around town, so, really want to keep it streetable and on 91 octane. Would that really be feasible with 10:1 on a dead stock bike? I've never played with compression ratios on an air cooled bike before, so, I'm not really sure what to expect.

Plan B is to just chuck the crappy cylinder and buy a used non-hosed one so I can stick with stock pistons, but, would really prefer to fix the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Something is messed up with my bike. On a smooth even road it jolts as if I hit the brakes or ran over something at random intervals, sometimes once every few seconds, sometimes once a few minutes. It was fine yesterday, and all I did today was get some gas. I rode it for about 120 miles like that, and it seemed almost unnoticeable below 40mph. It is a 2015 MV Agusta Brutale with about 2500 milles. I got the bike sorta new - it was a demo ride with 700 miles and first service done. I also had the suspension adjusted professionally 2 weeks ago.

I am going to call the dealership when they open up again on Tuesday, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions wtf is going, they are welcome. I am also wondering how safe it is to ride like this. It mostly seemed like a comfort issue.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Loose chain kinking?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

The chain is pretty tight. I checked the manual specs and it seems to be at the right level.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Bad gas? Aside from dump it and put in fresh, I don't have a way to test that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like an intermittent misfire caused by :italy:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yup also going with intermittent misfire - loose battery terminals, maybe?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

OK, I guess I need to dig into the battery and see if stuff looks alright. Probably will end up bringing it into the dealer's shop anyway

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PhoenixWing posted:

Plan B is to just chuck the crappy cylinder and buy a used non-hosed one so I can stick with stock pistons, but, would really prefer to fix the current one.

New motor or parts bike is always the simpler answer.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

pokie posted:

OK, I guess I need to dig into the battery and see if stuff looks alright. Probably will end up bringing it into the dealer's shop anyway

Welp, the battery is under the tank. I am not quite ready to take the tank off on my own.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

pokie posted:

Welp, the battery is under the tank.

Remind me what you ride so I can be sure to never accidentally buy one.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
It's under the tank on the old MT-03 (no idea about the new one). It's not much of a bother though, I just rest the tank a bit further back, without disconnecting the fuel lines.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
MV Agusta doesn't exactly design with ease of mechanical work in mind.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This intermittent misfire isn't particularly dangerous, is it? I intend to just ride the bike to the 'shop.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nah should be fine also it's totally a warranty thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just get used to it, it's part of the Italian Bike Öwnership Experiencé ™

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
How long would it take for me to get tired of a KTM Duke 125 as my first bike ? I wanna make it last 6 months until I can buy something else .

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Ps. It's so orange and pretty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

How long would it take for me to get tired of a KTM Duke 125 as my first bike ? I wanna make it last 6 months until I can buy something else .

6 months on a 125 is certainly doable, they're very fun for lane splitting too.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

mulligan posted:

UK goon? Depends on what you use it for to be honest.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PhoenixWing posted:

So I seized my Honda XL250S on the freeway because I am dumb and didn't check it's oil. I'm boring it out to at least 75mm from 74mm as the cylinder is scored to poo poo, and can't find any stock +1mm pistons for it. The only +1 oversize pistons that seem to be available for it are aftermarket Wiseco ones that bump the CR to 10:1 from 9.1:1. I run this bike to work (~30 miles on the freeway at 70MPH), off road, and around town, so, really want to keep it streetable and on 91 octane. Would that really be feasible with 10:1 on a dead stock bike? I've never played with compression ratios on an air cooled bike before, so, I'm not really sure what to expect.

10:1 isnt high compression and should be fine on 87, but im also not an expert

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's also air cooled so it's gonna get hot, so I'd be careful about the octane. If it pings, put higher in next time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So...is there some sort of turnkey EFI setup for bandit 1200's out there? Or alternatively is there some backyard swap from another model that bolts on fairly easily?

Or can anyone identify the efi setup in this picture?

I uh....I may some close up pictures in a few days...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's probably megasquirt + throttle body adapters from ebay + GSXR or Busa TBs.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I took my KLR on the highway for about 10 miles at 75mph (16t front sprocket makes that ~4500rpm). After I got off the highway onto city streets I noticed the temperature gauge was all the way up in the red. For another 3 miles through city traffic and lights, it fluctuated from almost max temp to max temp.

I parked it for 4 hours, did my business in the city, then rode the same route home with the temp gauge right in the middle of the range, even after getting off the highway and slowing down on the local streets near home. The coolant level looks fine hot and cold.

Did it just cough an air bubble and have bad coolant flow or something? Seems fine now, but why was it so hot earlier?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Check your thermostat and radiator fan switch for proper functionality. Maybe one or the other of them is going bad?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Air bubble was the second thing I thought of when reading that. Maybe your system needs a coolant flush anyway? It's not hard to do.

Or an electrical issue like Sagebrush said. Next time it gets really hot like that, pull over and look down to see if the fan is running properly.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How hard is it to gently caress up a motorcycle battery such that it doesn't hold a charge anymore?

I was away for 6 weeks and had just installed a new battery in the monster because the old one was ancient and needed replacing. Unfortunately while I was away my old man started the bike up to let it run for a bit and proceeded to leave the lights on for at least a week. When I got back I took the battery out and charged it up, took it off the charger and let it sit for a week before I had the chance to re-install it. Before I put it back in the bike however I discovered it was flat again with a multimeter. So I charged it again and then re-installed it, hoping for the best. A week passes, I get out for a quick zip around and she starts fine. Another week passes and I go to do the same but this time she's dead as a doornail again.

I'm guessing the repeated charging and leaving to run flat has left it unable to hold a charge, anyone had similar issues?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Running the battery totally flat (like <10V open circuit) is enough to kill it, yeah, and leaving the headlight on for a week would definitely get you there. It might hold enough of a charge to work if you were riding every day, but a week of sitting around is enough to drain a bad battery far enough that it won't start.

Remember that motorcycle batteries are more sensitive to damage than e.g. car batteries because they're a lot smaller.

Quick cheap fix: get a Battery Tender Jr. for $20 on Amazon. It will keep the battery charged enough for you to start it reliably, and may even recover some of the capacity over time. Worthwhile investment for any bike that isn't ridden regularly anyway.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 22, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

I took my KLR on the highway for about 10 miles at 75mph (16t front sprocket makes that ~4500rpm). After I got off the highway onto city streets I noticed the temperature gauge was all the way up in the red. For another 3 miles through city traffic and lights, it fluctuated from almost max temp to max temp.

I parked it for 4 hours, did my business in the city, then rode the same route home with the temp gauge right in the middle of the range, even after getting off the highway and slowing down on the local streets near home. The coolant level looks fine hot and cold.

Did it just cough an air bubble and have bad coolant flow or something? Seems fine now, but why was it so hot earlier?

Check the stupid glass fuse.(by the fan on gen Is) the one on mine popped time or two. I replaced it with a circuit breaker...

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Check the stupid glass fuse.(by the fan on gen Is) the one on mine popped time or two. I replaced it with a circuit breaker...

Is that those glass tube ones? You have to be extra suspicious with those, because they can break or go bad at the ends of the filament, in the corner of the fuse where you can't see.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

Is that those glass tube ones? You have to be extra suspicious with those, because they can break or go bad at the ends of the filament, in the corner of the fuse where you can't see.

lolyup. and that paintshaker of an engine will ensure funtimes.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sagebrush posted:

Running the battery totally flat (like <10V open circuit) is enough to kill it, yeah, and leaving the headlight on for a week would definitely get you there. It might hold enough of a charge to work if you were riding every day, but a week of sitting around is enough to drain a bad battery far enough that it won't start.

Remember that motorcycle batteries are more sensitive to damage than e.g. car batteries because they're a lot smaller.

Quick cheap fix: get a Battery Tender Jr. for $20 on Amazon. It will keep the battery charged enough for you to start it reliably, and may even recover some of the capacity over time. Worthwhile investment for any bike that isn't ridden regularly anyway.

Cheers for this! I was looking at getting a tender anyway so I just committed and bought one. Hopefully I don't need to shell out for a new battery as well but I guess we'll see. At least it won't happen again...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

abigserve posted:

Cheers for this! I was looking at getting a tender anyway so I just committed and bought one. Hopefully I don't need to shell out for a new battery as well but I guess we'll see. At least it won't happen again...

You can always try this... http://www.instructables.com/id/Bring-Dead-Lead-Acid-Battery-To-Live-Again/

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
do you guys have any product in particular you use to keep the tank shiney and clean? it's been drizzling and raining a lot and i've picked up some water spots that are annoying to look at

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

So...is there some sort of turnkey EFI setup for bandit 1200's out there? Or alternatively is there some backyard swap from another model that bolts on fairly easily?

Or can anyone identify the efi setup in this picture?

I uh....I may some close up pictures in a few days...

Afaik there is no aftermarket efi setup for the 1200 motors. Mega squirt systems are relatively popular and when I was still in he bandit scene someone was trying to workout a busa efi swap but I don't know if they ever made it happen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

do you guys have any product in particular you use to keep the tank shiney and clean? it's been drizzling and raining a lot and i've picked up some water spots that are annoying to look at

I assume you're talking the Tuono and not the plastic tank on the DRZ. I just bought a nice wax(I think, I left it back in San Jose and need to get it when I pick up the rest of my poo poo) at my local motorcycle shop. Spray it on after washing and buff like mad. It held up after a 400 miles ride and getting soaked several times. I just wiped off the water spots and it looked fresh. My brand recommends application every 3 months. You'll probably find something similar wherever you shop.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

I assume you're talking the Tuono and not the plastic tank on the DRZ. I just bought a nice wax(I think, I left it back in San Jose and need to get it when I pick up the rest of my poo poo) at my local motorcycle shop. Spray it on after washing and buff like mad. It held up after a 400 miles ride and getting soaked several times. I just wiped off the water spots and it looked fresh. My brand recommends application every 3 months. You'll probably find something similar wherever you shop.

Paging Digital Jesus for motorcycle cleaning questions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

I've no idea if it's available in the US but Muc Off Speed Polish does a beautiful job at shining up metal and plastic, and also sheds water nicely and smells lovely. Failing that, good quality furniture polish with beeswax and carnuba wax will do much the same thing but will need to be reapplied more often and can go a bit milky if you over-apply it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use plain old turtle wax in the turtle-shaped can.

Yeah, you need a fair bit of elbow grease to apply it (see: The Karate Kid) but it works very well and a motorcycle tank is a pretty small surface.