Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I always thought that a lot of the weirder bits of the whole caste system (and the enforcing of it) may have come about during the East India Company/ the Raj time period?

I mean I think I remember reading somewhere that Sati (that whole thing of setting yourself on fire when your husband dies) increased after the british banned it as people were forcing others to defend the cultural idea.

I'm not sure if the enforcing of it increased during that time period, but colorism in Indian society and the caste system long predates the Raj period. IIRC(it's not my area of specialty) it likely started with Iranian migrations into India. Since they brought the Vedic religion with them, they were typically the members of the higher castes and therefore lighter skin was associated with higher caste. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Yeah Zero tolerance is bullshit.

gently caress that, it's bullshit. Black women are demeaned, stereotyped and constantly poo poo on for being ourselves and having our features meanwhile Kyle does this and get praise and fame. It's infuriating.

And then you have women like Tina Fey who say dumb poo poo like this:

Doesn't Tina Fey do commercials for hair products and cosmetics?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
It took 4 weeks but McAuliffe is finally finished restoring the voting rights of 13,000 ex-felons by hand.

quote:

Virginia’s governor said on Monday that he had signed papers restoring the voting rights of nearly 13,000 ex-felons, accomplishing on a case-by-case basis what the state’s Supreme Court last month had barred him from doing with a single executive order.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a Democrat, cast the move as a civil rights victory in a state whose constitutional ban on voting by ex-felons has disenfranchised roughly one in five African-Americans. In a post on Twitter, the governor said, “We will continue to fight to ensure that our fellow citizens are not marginalized forever.”

State Republicans had called Mr. McAuliffe’s effort to restore voting rights a political plot to put more Democrats on the voting rolls. On Monday, Donald J. Trump, campaigning in Fredericksburg, Va., accused Mr. McAuliffe of “getting thousands of violent felons to the voting booth in an effort to cancel out the votes of both law enforcement and crime victims.”

“They are letting people vote in your Virginia election that should not be allowed to vote,” Mr. Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, said.

In fact, however, the governor is empowered by the state’s Constitution to grant ex-felons the right to vote, and earlier studies suggest that most of those whose rights were restored had committed nonviolent crimes.

Almost all states deny felons the right to vote, but many automatically restore voting rights after a violator has completed a prison term, probation, parole or all three. Virginia is one of four states that permanently strip felons of voting rights unless the governor lifts the prohibition, which Virginia governors had done sparingly.

Only Kentucky and Florida, which also disenfranchise felons for life, have a higher share of African-Americans whose felony convictions deny them the right to vote.

Mr. McAuliffe’s Republican predecessor, Gov. Bob McDonnell, moved to soften the lifetime ban in 2013, ordering that any nonviolent felon who had completed a sentence and paid all fines or restitution be automatically considered for voting-rights restoration.

But Mr. McAuliffe caused a sensation in April when he went well beyond that, signing a sweeping executive order reinstating rights for nearly everyone who had completed prison sentences and met the terms of any supervised release: 206,000 ex-felons in all. Those whose crimes were nonviolent — about eight in 10 — were immediately given the right to cast a ballot; violent ex-felons were barred from voting until three years after successfully completing supervised release.

“I want you back as a full citizen of the commonwealth,” Mr. McAuliffe said then of the ex-felons. “I want you to have a job, I want you paying taxes, and you can’t be a second-class citizen.”

Republicans denounced the move as a transparent effort to help Mr. McAuliffe’s close friend and ally, Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee, in what was likely to be a swing state in the 2016 presidential election.

A 2014 study by political scientists concluded that ex-felons in a handful of states were much more likely to register as Democrats than as Republicans, although the authors said race and poverty, not criminality, were the likely reasons.

After Republicans sued to block the executive order, Virginia’s Supreme Court ruled last month that Mr. McAuliffe could restore voting rights only on a case-by-case basis rather than with a blanket order. Monday’s announcement of restored rights for nearly 13,000 residents was the beginning of what the governor’s office has said is an effort to address the voting status of all ex-felons.

Officials will address restoration of other ex-felons’ rights in chronological order, starting with those who have been freed from supervision the longest, the governor said.

William Howell, the Republican speaker of the State House and a plaintiff in the lawsuit opposing Mr. McAuliffe’s executive order, said in a written statement that legislators would study the new process for restoring voter rights to ensure that it abides by the Supreme Court’s ruling in July.

Dude's wrists must really be sore.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

In fairness to myself that's I think anyway exactly what I said.

Hypothetically(because lol at this happening) would you care, outside of laughing at the fakeness anyway, about them If black women weren't discriminated against for the same reasons they are lauded?

It's hard to say. I don't know but I'll answer as honest as I can, I guess. I don't think I'd care in that I'd be angry. Assuming the roles were reversed and black women, including dark skinned women were lauded in the media the way white women are, I wouldn't be angry. I would be sad that she feels the need to conform to a society that lauds one race over another.

Then again my life would be very, very different so it's truly impossible to say. Interesting hypothetical though.

Radish posted:

Doesn't Tina Fey do commercials for hair products and cosmetics?

Yes! http://beautystat.com/site/skincare/beauty-news-tina-fey-is-newest-spokesperson-for-garnier-skincare-bstat/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm not sure if the enforcing of it increased during that time period, but colorism in Indian society and the caste system long predates the Raj period. IIRC(it's not my area of specialty) it likely started with Iranian migrations into India. Since they brought the Vedic religion with them, they were typically the members of the higher castes and therefore lighter skin was associated with higher caste. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yeah I only did bits of India as part of my wider British Empire course, so I don't know too much myself.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 23, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Inferior Third Season posted:

Sabotage his business and then find a new job.

If only I had that luxury. My job pays above the national median wage and I live in Oklahoma. I'm basically riding a unicorn here. A really racist unicorn.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Look guys. I haven't been on the internet since 8 this morning. There are 1,300 new posts that I haven't read. I'm going back now, but gently caress you guys if that's 1,300 posts of gun chat.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Boon posted:

Look guys. I haven't been on the internet since 8 this morning. There are 1,300 new posts that I haven't read. I'm going back now, but gently caress you guys if that's 1,300 posts of gun chat.

If I had to guess it's 1300 posts of race chat

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Don't worry, it wasn't gun chat. :shepicide:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Josef bugman posted:

I always thought that a lot of the weirder bits of the whole caste system (and the enforcing of it) may have come about during the East India Company/ the Raj time period?

I mean I think I remember reading somewhere that Sati (that whole thing of setting yourself on fire when your husband dies) increased after the british banned it as people were forcing others to defend the cultural idea.

Nah man, Dravidians have been getting poo poo on by their lighter-skinned brothers and sisters long before the EIC.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dr.Smasher posted:

1200 posts of race chat & 100 posts of "so many new posts Trump must have..." stupid poo poo.

A vast majority of the race chatting was interesting.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

nutranurse posted:

Nah man, Dravidians have been getting poo poo on by their lighter-skinned brothers and sisters long before the EIC.

True dat. My good friend is from Tamil Nadu and the illustrious ex used to call him "Kalu" which basically means "blacky." Jokes on them because South India has a way higher literacy rate than the north.

edit: I got my MA is South Asian studies, so please tell me to shut the gently caress up if I start going on a tangent.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I thought it got worse/ was codified by the EIC, would I be incorrect there too?

CherryCola posted:

True dat. My good friend is from Tamil Nadu and the illustrious ex used to call him "Kalu" which basically means "blacky." Jokes on them because South India has a way higher literacy rate than the north.

Isn't Kerela almost "full communism now" as a place?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I thought it got worse/ was codified by the EIC, would I be incorrect there too?

It's entirely likely. When in doubt bank on the British loving up local squabbles even more.

CherryCola posted:

edit: I got my MA is South Asian studies, so please tell me to shut the gently caress up if I start going on a tangent.

I say we need to gleam more about South Asia. Did the EIC exacerbate the caste poo poo? I know they're the whole reason I exist because the brought my dad's ancestors over to Jamaica as indentured servants.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

I would like the to try it again, but I don't like the idea of the of it being segregated, if you will. I mean we do have that threads that are USPol-related, but the threads involving black people always devolve in crazy racism. I would like to start a thread about black women specifically, (stereotypes, colorism, misogynoir, intersectional feminism etc)but idk if there's any interest in it.

I mean, I'd be interested. But I also don't want people to feel like they're being belittled by a mostly white male forum. We saw it with the feminism thread (and I was absolutely a bad poster there, years ago).

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't Kerela almost "full communism now" as a place?

There's a lot of communism, but also West Bengal had a full on communist government for like 30 years. As far as I know (this was not my area of focus), the communist party has been a bit more successful in the southern states. I believe they do a little better with religious diversity gender balance (aka not having tons of female infanticide) than some of the other states as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, I'd be interested. But I also don't want people to feel like they're being belittled by a mostly white male forum. We saw it with the feminism thread (and I was absolutely a bad poster there, years ago).

The race stuff is fine I just mean 100 people arguing with one obviously insane dude/unbelievable rear end in a top hat is really dull

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CherryCola posted:

There's a lot of communism, but also West Bengal had a full on communist government for like 30 years. As far as I know (this was not my area of focus), the communist party has been a bit more successful in the southern states. I believe they do a little better with religious diversity gender balance (aka not having tons of female infanticide) than some of the other states as well.

I meant that more in the way it's used in threads like this, as a shorthand for "well done and organised leftism".

Though in truth I am sad to admit I got interested in Kerelan stuff because one of my friends started living next door to a shop that did loads of the food and started talking about it. I mean it's sad if the first thing you know about a place is "food".

Is there a major demographic problem with female infatacide in areas of the world other than China?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Welp yeah that's a whole other conversation.

Sooo, I'm not a black woman or minority woman in general, who are more affected by this but honestly I don't see a problem with cultural appropriation. If Kim K wants to get all the black features she can afford then god speed to her. She can live whatever her truth is.

My problem is only when black women are discriminated against and insulted for their own natural features and hair. Meanwhile a famous white chick finds out about baby hairs, or natural "frizzy" hair styles implements it and is lauded as a innovator in hairstyles.

Not getting poo poo for stuff white people do and get praised for is actually a pretty low bar. Ideally people should get credit, praise, and success for the things they come up with without having it all stop at at the white middleman who 'introduced' it to mainstream culture. That's part of the problem with cultural appropriation. When people don't get credit then they don't get valued as a contributors to society/culture/whatever, and that effects how they're valued as people.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Josef bugman posted:

I meant that more in the way it's used in threads like this, as a shorthand for "well done and organised leftism".

Though in truth I am sad to admit I got interested in Kerelan stuff because one of my friends started living next door to a shop that did loads of the food and started talking about it. I mean it's sad if the first thing you know about a place is "food".

Is there a major demographic problem with female infatacide in areas of the world other than China?

There's a really good Malayalam metal band called Avial. There you go, now you know another thing.

And hell yeah. The gender imbalance in Punjab is insane, it's like 895 women to every 1000 men. In Kerala there are supposedly actually more women than men. It's so bad that there was some program to actually pay Punjabi parents a stipend if they would raise daughters to the age of 18 without marrying them off.

Oh and I believe it is actually illegal in India (or it was last time I was there) to get an ultrasound to find the sex of your baby. In fact, they've found that sex-selective abortions have become a problem in some diasporic South Asian communities, too. It's kind of a bummer :(

edit: forgot a 0

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 23, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CherryCola posted:

There's a really good Malayalam metal band called Avial. There you go, now you know another thing.

And hell yeah. The gender imbalance in Punjab is insane, it's like 895 women to every 100 men. In Kerala there are supposedly actually more women than men. It's so bad that there was some program to actually pay Punjabi parents a stipend if they would raise daughters to the age of 18 without marrying them off.

Oh and I believe it is actually illegal in India (or it was last time I was there) to get an ultrasound to find the sex of your baby. In fact, they've found that sex-selective abortions have become a problem in some diasporic South Asian communities, too. It's kind of a bummer :(

Jesus that's a sad fact. (the ultrasound not the metal band)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

there wolf posted:

Not getting poo poo for stuff white people do and get praised for is actually a pretty low bar. Ideally people should get credit, praise, and success for the things they come up with without having it all stop at at the white middleman who 'introduced' it to mainstream culture. That's part of the problem with cultural appropriation. When people don't get credit then they don't get valued as a contributors to society/culture/whatever, and that effects how they're valued as people.

I'm not an idealist lol.

I just want less discrimination. I'm used to Black people never getting credit for poo poo. Just maybe don't call me in and pull me over as suspicious person driving in my own drat neighborhood.

Or hey if you are gonna pull me over, keeping your hands on your gun isn't really nessecary dude. I'm a software developer. I'm not about to ruin my good job for your racist rear end.

I'd be happy with even small wins.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
USPOL August 22nd, TYOL 2016.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Oh hey 300 new posts in an hour did Trump say something stupid again?

BiohazrD posted:

Woah 500 posts in the USPOL thread. Trump must have done someth...

:stare:

The Rokstar posted:

Oh wow 800 posts in the last 3 hours. There must have been some huge news or someth:yikes:
'

Nevvy Z posted:

This poo poo really needs to die already.

Boon posted:

Dr.Smasher posted:

gfsincere posted:

Who said anything about fear? You don't discuss certain poo poo in front of white people because they love to run and twist the poo poo into some racist dumb poo poo, like what has literally happened in this thread. Ain't no way anyone from the civil rights era ever even spoke to you if you don't know this poo poo. You're just a fraud, truly and honestly, based on the poo poo you've said so far. I don't believe you're black in the least bit when you have FYAD trolls who repeatedly post racist poo poo agreeing with you.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 23, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

I'm not an idealist lol.

I just want less discrimination. I'm used to Black people never getting credit for poo poo. Just maybe don't call me in and pull me over as suspicious person driving in my own drat neighborhood.

Or hey if you are gonna pull me over, keeping your hands on your gun isn't really nessecary dude. I'm a software developer. I'm not about to ruin my good job for your racist rear end.

I'd be happy with even small wins.

Fair enough. Now pretend you're a young child whose just been beaten up and is afraid to talk to the social worker because the cop standing behind her will not stop fingering his gun, and you have the last time my friend came over and drank all my vodka.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

there wolf posted:

Fair enough. Now pretend you're a young child whose just been beaten up and is afraid to talk to the social worker because the cop standing behind her will not stop fingering his gun, and you have the last time my friend came over and drank all my vodka.
what

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I was very confused too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I mean it's sad if the first thing you know about a place is "food".

This is me with literally everywhere.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I was very confused too.
I think that guy beat up a child for stealing his vodka.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol yeah it's a little suburb of Philly mainly known for its gigantic mall.

The name comes from a Colonial-era inn, the "King of Prussia Inn," which was a popular waypoint for travelers heading West. I guess the Inn was named for Frederic the Great.

The funniest part about it is that it's now believed that the name was chosen (it'd had several other names previously) to convince German mercenaries who'd signed up with the British Army to stay in the area after the revolution. No one's sure when the name change happened, but it was still "Berry's Tavern" in 1777, and was already known as "King Of Prussia Inn" by 1786.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Russian parenting is very strict

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

See, my interpretation was that the OP was child in this scenario and the friend was the cop.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I propose naming the social activist version of arzying "gfsincereing"

VvV childs play VvV l. Shouts out to Fans.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 23, 2016

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Moment of silence for gfsincere, homeboy apparently got banned for a moooooonth

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

CherryCola posted:

he just got banned, period. $10 to get back in type thing

Trump is speaking tonight apparently. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/767875613633937408

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/767861443328897024

It's a tragedy, have to have a field medic kit on me at all times when I walk to the McDonalds down the street from my job.

Do you know how stressful it is to get shot every day :smith:

It certainly can't get any worse than this.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
OK moment of silence over. I'm genuinely interested - what ARE the problems in black culture (are there even any worth talking about?), from people who live it? Not from people on the outside trying to whitesplain something.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd think it's... misogyny, maybe mixed in with being constantly being made to feel like an outsider by a certain segment of the population. But I might be super wrong. I honestly know very little about what it's like to live in a black household, which I always regret. I wish I had black friends who were open to talking about this poo poo.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CherryCola posted:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Koalas March posted:

I would like to start a thread about black women specifically, (stereotypes, colorism, misogynoir, intersectional feminism etc)but idk if there's any interest in it.
I'd read the hell out of that thread. Also, always nice to see another Detroit goon ITT.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

OK moment of silence over. I'm genuinely interested - what ARE the problems in black culture (are there even any worth talking about?), from people who live it? Not from people on the outside trying to whitesplain something.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd think it's... misogyny, maybe mixed in with being constantly being made to feel like an outsider by a certain segment of the population. But I might be super wrong. I honestly know very little about what it's like to live in a black household, which I always regret. I wish I had black friends who were open to talking about this poo poo.

There's a lot to unpack here. What do you really want to know? You mentioned misogyny, there is a type called misogynoir in black feminist spaces. It refers specifically to to the combined racism and misogyny that black women face. There is also an element of colorism there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogynoir

Then you have stuff like this:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55a519fae4b0b8145f738a39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Koalas March posted:

There's a lot to unpack here. What do you really want to know? You mentioned misogyny, there is a type called misogynoir in black feminist spaces. It refers specifically to to the combined racism and misogyny that black women face. There is also an element of colorism there.

Then you have stuff like this:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55a519fae4b0b8145f738a39

Misogynoir is too cool of a term for such an ugly practice.

• Locked thread