Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Does anybody know of an adjective meaning "related to furniture"? Like with clothes we can use the word "sartorial" to describe something related to clothes, is there a similar adjective for furniture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What the gently caress do I do to prepare for this in terms of medical costs/care (eg what if she needs an in-house nurse in a few years?) and emotionally/mentally preparing myself for the worst to come? Seeing my grandmother post-stroke as a high schooler was fairly traumatic, but I'm older/more mature and a stronger human being now, so I've offered my dad multiple times to personally help out and step up because.... loving God drat it, she's my mother and she needs my help.

First off, sorry. That really sucks. :(

Do you know if your parents have enough money to take care of themselves if they need to have round the clock care? The cost varies wildly, but supplemented with medicare a little bit of money can last a long time. Look into that and if they're not already considering medicare, it wouldn't hurt to arm them with some information.

e: Assuming you're in the US of course.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 22, 2016

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

My mom was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and possibly dementia as well. Apparently, while on vacation with my dad, she fell down in the hotel lobby just walking. Her primary care doctor wants her to get an MRI to check if she had some mini-strokes at some point.

Does your national Alzheimer's charity have a helpline? The UK Alzheimer's Society has a lot of information.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm in the US, yes.

My dad used to work at IBM as a software salesman and IT consultant, so he was making an upper middle class income for awhile. However, he was laid off when I was in college due to corporate mergers and had to burn through his retirement savings account to keep paying the bills and the mortgage and to keep helping me and my sister with school while he was out of work for a few years before being rehired by IBM later. He was then laid off again (this time probably due to age discrimination) for good and has been trying to set up here is own company and coding his own software to sell as a self-employed entrepreneur and to actually have some financial base in his twilight years.

In addition, my mom (and my dad too) has always squandered money on kitsch and knick-knacks and when I was in high school my dad even blamed my mom and her spending habits as to why there wasn't much money left saved for me to go to college, especially any sort of private college if I wanted that and strongly encouraged me to join the Naval Academy for him to save money on college for me.

On that note, my family has always been incredibly dysfunctional and - as one example - my mom admitted to me years ago about how he would hit her when he had anger issues when she was going for through chemotherapy for breast cancer, so I have no idea what this upcoming train wreck will do to my family both financially and socially when they are already so unstable to begin with. I know having an immediate family member with Alzheimer's is tough enough even for stable, close families; again, I can't imagine what this will do to my already-broken family.

So, I have no idea what their savings or financial situation is like, but my gut tells me it doesn't look good at all. :smith:

I appreciate the support and advice so far, thank you all for that.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 22, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm in the US, yes.

My dad used to work at IBM as a software salesman and IT consultant, so he was making an upper middle class income for awhile. However, he was laid off when I was in college due to corporate mergers and had to burn through his retirement savings account to keep paying the bills and the mortgage and to keep helping me and my sister with school while he was out of work for a few years before being rehired by IBM later. He was then laid off again (this time probably due to age discrimination) for good and has been trying to set up here is own company and coding his own software to sell as a self-employed entrepreneur and to actually have some financial base in his twilight years.

In addition, my mom (and my dad too) has always squandered money on kitsch and knick-knacks and when I was in high school my dad even blamed my mom and her spending habits as to why there wasn't much money left saved for me to go to college, especially any sort of private college if I wanted that and strongly encouraged me to join the Naval Academy for him to save money on college for me.

On that note, my family has always been incredibly dysfunctional and - as one example - my mom admitted to me years ago about how he would hit her when he had anger issues when she was going for through chemotherapy for breast cancer, so I have no idea what this upcoming train wreck will do to my family both financially and socially when they are already so unstable to begin with. I know having an immediate family member with Alzheimer's is tough enough even for stable, close families; again, I can't imagine what this will do to my already-broken family.

So, I have no idea what their savings or financial situation is like, but my gut tells me it doesn't look good at all. :smith:

I appreciate the support and advice so far, thank you all for that.

Sounds like a mess. Sorry you have to deal with this.

And it may sound terrible at first, but if you have any influence over it don't hold off on full time care until it's too late. People feel guilty about "putting mom in a nursing home," but usually the type of care they'll get there is 1000x better than the care you or another family member could give them. Just check in on them from time to time and vet the place first.

Especially with Alzheimer's, people tend to wait a very long time to do this and it makes it unnecessarily rough on everyone involved.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm looking for a concise explanation of what the different measurements of radiation are, and to what degree they are harmful or not.

Rads, grays, sieverts, geiger counts and so on.

Every time radioactivity comes up in the news, different measurements and numbers are thrown about willy nilly and it's hard to tell what any of it means. Or they'll say something like"exposure comparable to the long mile island disaster" as if the layman knows exactly what that means :confused:

A graphic would be helpful for explaining to friends and relatives.
Does this help for scale?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sorry you are going through this. My grandfather had Alzheimer's, and i barely remember him before he got sick. I have aunts on both sides that are in a bad way, though fortunately my parents are both more or less with it still. Have you looked over on The Goon Doctor? I don't know if geriatric issues come up all that often there, but there are a few real live doctors that post and who may be able to give you some guidance.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was going to make a "TELL" thread where we could all debunk myths/preconceptions about our cities/states/countries. I thought i'd bounce it off you guys here first, since i almost never make threads. If there is a better spot for this on the forums , feel free to let me know.

Good idea?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I was going to make a "TELL" thread where we could all debunk myths/preconceptions about our cities/states/countries. I thought i'd bounce it off you guys here first, since i almost never make threads. If there is a better spot for this on the forums , feel free to let me know.

Good idea?

PYF maybe? "PYF inaccurate myth/preconception about your city/state/country"

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I'm sure this question will have a really obvious answer but I haven't had to buy a cellphone for myself in over 10 years and even then it was just a pay-as-you-go. There wasn't even such a thing as an iPhone back when I was last shopping around, I've always had one provided by my work. I'm getting a different job now and so I will have to go out into the wild and get one for myself.

When I'm shopping around every plan says something like "2 year term $198.95 or no term for $839.95". I naturally assume the no term is the correct way to go right? The websites don't break down the info at all so I'm not even sure if that $198 is monthly or yearly or what. At the end of those 2 years do they take the phone back if you don't renegotiate for a new contract with them? I can't think of a company that lets you space out payments on a product with no benefit to themselves, or maybe I'm just that much out of the loop.

Would I be even better off if I just bought a last years model, like the iPhone 6, off some guy and then just got a contract?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Through The Decade posted:

I'm sure this question will have a really obvious answer but I haven't had to buy a cellphone for myself in over 10 years and even then it was just a pay-as-you-go. There wasn't even such a thing as an iPhone back when I was last shopping around, I've always had one provided by my work. I'm getting a different job now and so I will have to go out into the wild and get one for myself.

When I'm shopping around every plan says something like "2 year term $198.95 or no term for $839.95". I naturally assume the no term is the correct way to go right? The websites don't break down the info at all so I'm not even sure if that $198 is monthly or yearly or what. At the end of those 2 years do they take the phone back if you don't renegotiate for a new contract with them? I can't think of a company that lets you space out payments on a product with no benefit to themselves, or maybe I'm just that much out of the loop.

Would I be even better off if I just bought a last years model, like the iPhone 6, off some guy and then just got a contract?

Read the full fine print of any contact you are considering signing - phone plan or otherwise - and if there's any part you don't understand or aren't sure of then don't sign it.

That said, in general, when you get a phone as part of an X month plan where you pay $Y each month for a phone and phone service, once the X months are up you own the phone. It's like hire purchase.

Also like hire purchase it generally works out better to buy the thing outright. It's usually more money in one hit, but works or less than the X x $Y.

But you need to run the specific numbers for the specific plans you're considering to see what works out cheapest, and while I've never heard of a phone company expecting their handset back at the end of the contract I would read the hell out of the contract in question to find out, rather than take the word of an internet stranger.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not really a question, just an addendum:

Coping with a parent with a chronic debilitating condition is really loving difficult, you guys. :smithicide:

I'm not literally going to kill myself, but god drat is it hard wading through all this bullshit.

Thank you so much for those who offered their advice and condolences. They are deeply appreciated from the bottom of my heart, and I mean that sincerely. Thank you.

(I'm going to go have a good cry and get this poo poo out of me and over with so I can deal with what actually matters tomorrow. I refuse to feel sorry for myself for any of this, I'm going to stay focused on what can be done and just do it. No distractions, just focus.)

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 23, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Through The Decade posted:

I think the $198 or the $839 are the price to buy the phone. The cheaper one is basically just a down payment on an installment plan; the rest of the payments will be baked into your phone bill for however long the contract is for. It's 100% certain there are penalties for breaking the contract early.

You might want to start off with a no-contract prepaid wireless. It's a LOT simpler, easier to get out of if you want to switch again, and it can be quite a bit cheaper if you don't need a whole lot of data. You'll need to buy a phone. Some of the companies limit you to the particular phones they have for sale, and others will let you use an outside device if you already have one. But be warned that there are several different incompatible radio standards in use, so not every phone will work with every phone company. (I usually just get one of the phones they have on offer, precisely so I don't have to worry about compatibility.) There's a thread in IYG all about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652174 A lot of people there really like Cricket Wireless; I'm a weirdo, going with Republic Wireless.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

What the gently caress happened to my Chrome font, how do I change this back to normal? The font settings are all at default so I can only assume I've activated some idiotic shortcut that exists for no reason by hitting a key on my keyboard or something and now I don't know how to change it back.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

What the gently caress happened to my Chrome font, how do I change this back to normal? The font settings are all at default so I can only assume I've activated some idiotic shortcut that exists for no reason by hitting a key on my keyboard or something and now I don't know how to change it back.

ctrl + scrollwheel up (or just the ctrl + the plus button)

cmd button on mac

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

syscall girl posted:

ctrl + scrollwheel up (or just the ctrl + the plus button)

cmd button on mac

It's not the size of the font that's the problem, it's still wrong when i change it.

e: nevermind it was a windows thing, apparently there's an option to make your text look bad to save resources.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 24, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Been rewatching the West Wing and it reminded me of something. Why do some political titles, like Mr. President or Madam Secretary, use an honorific, but others, like Senator or Governor or Congressman, don't?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._President_(title)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Well yeah, but I guess what I'm asking is how did the Mr. Blank thing spread to some titles, like Mr. Secretary or Mr. Speaker, but not others.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The guy who does: http://www.formsofaddress.info/Secretary_Cabinet_Member.html would probably know. He says he usually replies to emails within a day. His book looks like it would be pretty handy in the right circumstances too, though it probably doesn't have the answer.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's not something unique to the position, it's just a matter of scale. If I say "Mr. President" you pretty much know who I'm talking about because we only have one president. If I say "Mr. Governor" I could be speaking of 50 different people. Senators and Representatives balloon even further than that. You'll see "Mr. Senator" or "Mr. Governor" used in some contexts, i.e. interviews, when there's only possible subject who could be addressed in that way. It's far more likely to hear "Mr." appended to a position of which there is only one, like Mr. Chairman, Mr. Speaker, Mr. DJ, etc.

It's not a hard and fast rule, it's just a matter of some uses being more common than others. When there are a lot of senators it just becomes rote to address each one as Senator Lastname and that carries on into other settings.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
You'll definitely hear staff of governors, senators, and congressmen refer to their bosses as their title (as The X, maybe as Mr/Ms X?).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a lawn-care thread? I see gardening and plant growing, but that's not quite the same thing.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

CrazySalamander posted:

The guy who does: http://www.formsofaddress.info/Secretary_Cabinet_Member.html would probably know. He says he usually replies to emails within a day. His book looks like it would be pretty handy in the right circumstances too, though it probably doesn't have the answer.

Guess not. Dude really is quick with responses, though.

Me posted:

Hi, quick question.

Why do some political titles in the second person, like Mr. President or Madam Secretary or Mr. Speaker, use an honorific, but others, like Senator or Governor or Congressman, don't? For example, if I'm interviewing Barack Obama, when I'm asking him a question, I would say "Mr. President, why is your hair so gray?"

However, if I'm interviewing Jerry Brown, I would say "Governor, why is your hair so gray?" without using the honorific. Is there an historical or etymological reason for this? Thanks!

Forms of Address Guy posted:

Dear Mr. ninjahedgehog,

You are right …. and I don’t have an answer.

It is Mr./Madam President, Mr./Madam Vice President, Mr./Madam Speaker, Mr./Madam Secretary, Mr/Madam Mayor ….
… but it is Chief Justice, Governor, Senator, Justice, Judge …

You will have an easier time if you interview officials from British Commonwealth nations … e,g,, UK, Canada ….
They don’t use “Mr./Madam” in front of any of them.
They simply use Prime Minister, Minister, Premier

Sincerely,
Forms of Address Guy

:iiam:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 24, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Personally I've always kind of wondered how certain jobs became attached to people's names at all, regardless of the presence of Mr./Ms./Whatever when used as a form of address.

You can refer to someone as Senator Hornswoggle or Professor Moriarty or Sergeant Snorkel, but you don't refer to anyone as Actor Shatner or Inventor Wright or Temp Smith.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Powered Descent posted:

Personally I've always kind of wondered how certain jobs became attached to people's names at all, regardless of the presence of Mr./Ms./Whatever when used as a form of address.

You can refer to someone as Senator Hornswoggle or Professor Moriarty or Sergeant Snorkel, but you don't refer to anyone as Actor Shatner or Inventor Wright or Temp Smith.

They're not jobs, they're titles. Sergeant is a rank, Senator is an office the person is holding, and Professor is something like that. It's all derived from the nobility system.

Think about Doctor. You don't become a doctor by getting a doctor job, you get it from being awarded a doctoral degree; whether it be medical, scientific, honorary, etc.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

baquerd posted:

Is there a lawn-care thread? I see gardening and plant growing, but that's not quite the same thing.

Not that I know of, fire away here and hope for the best.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What's the best method for cleaning/scrubbing a concrete basement floor? Between the catboxes being down there, the dog having a couple accidents, and one incident with a leaky pipe, there's a bit of a 'funk' and some stains on the floor.

Googling it led me to find out that I should use bleach...or ammonia...or dish soap...or TSP solution...etc...

I feel like bleach or ammonia wouldn't be good because it's a large floor and I don't want to be breathing in bleach or ammonia fumes for an hour, nor do I want them wafting their way up to the rest of the house.

I was thinking scrubbing with a simple solution of hot water, dish soap and baking (or washing?) soda would be fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's the best method for cleaning/scrubbing a concrete basement floor? Between the catboxes being down there, the dog having a couple accidents, and one incident with a leaky pipe, there's a bit of a 'funk' and some stains on the floor.

Googling it led me to find out that I should use bleach...or ammonia...or dish soap...or TSP solution...etc...

I feel like bleach or ammonia wouldn't be good because it's a large floor and I don't want to be breathing in bleach or ammonia fumes for an hour, nor do I want them wafting their way up to the rest of the house.

I was thinking scrubbing with a simple solution of hot water, dish soap and baking (or washing?) soda would be fine.

Don't use anything but dish soap and water. Your concrete is porous so anything wet you put down will be there for the foreseeable future.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

DrBouvenstein posted:

You can also try a dehumidifier and see if that helps

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
There is some mild acid solution my parents used to clean leaf stains off their patio with, I only remember because I was super disappointed that the small amount I stole would not, in fact, melt ants in the yard.

When you do get it clean, you should seal the concrete so that the next time you need to clean it will be much easier.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
How soon after you start a new job is it appropriate to ask for a two days off midweek? I've had the same job for a long time so I don't remember. I know it depends on various factors, but assume this is a job with set responsibilities that can't be fulfilled without the person there, and that it's not during the training or orientation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

life is a joke posted:

How soon after you start a new job is it appropriate to ask for a two days off midweek? I've had the same job for a long time so I don't remember. I know it depends on various factors, but assume this is a job with set responsibilities that can't be fulfilled without the person there, and that it's not during the training or orientation.

Assuming you're in America, askamanager (who is pretty reasonable, but has a slight pro-employer bias) recommends three months before any pre-planned pto. This can vary by industry, position, and company, though.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Oh yikes my master plan included a 16 day buffer from start to PTO lol. I'll have to cancel a ~surprise trip~ I was going to take my gf on that I planned before she took a job for a semester. Figured that would be the case but thought I'd check before I request refunds etc. Thanks ;)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Why do fruits and vegetables that are visually made up of lots of long fibers bound together (like pineapple or peach flesh) only contain a few grams of dietary fiber for many grams of food? It can't entirely be because of water content I don't think? Is it that dietary fiber is not actually the stuff you think of as plant fibers?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Seashell Salesman posted:

Why do fruits and vegetables that are visually made up of lots of long fibers bound together (like pineapple or peach flesh) only contain a few grams of dietary fiber for many grams of food? It can't entirely be because of water content I don't think? Is it that dietary fiber is not actually the stuff you think of as plant fibers?

Dietary fiber is the fiber you can't digest. The other fibers in the fruit and vegetables is digestible, and so usually is marked as carbohydrates.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is there a thread or anything about computer animation? Stuff like if there's goons making the next toy story and how that works?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Follow up on re: mom/Alzheimer's situation:

Dad just informed me that the Alzheimer's is already affecting my mom physically, so much so that when they were in the airport eating steak, my mom started choking on her steak and ended up vomiting her food due to choking all over the table. As he says this matter-of-factly to me at my house before leaving.

E: I... seriously think I need to see a therapist for my own sake. Dealing with this poo poo is going to kill me and I know it. :smith:

Any idea how soon I can enroll for Obamacare? I am currently uninsured and in the process of applying for Medicaid, so I'm on the ball with trying to get health insurance at least.

Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 25, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you had a qualifying event (turned 18, got married, got divorced, got job, lost job, some other stuff) you can enroll anytime. If not, you can enroll during a 90 day window starting Nov 15.

If you are enrolling to get coverage for therapy, it'd be cheaper to pay cash. Find a therapist, pay a hundred bucks, unload your troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm looking for an extremely slim pocket knife. I currently have this knife that I picked up on a whim a few years ago. It's about the perfect size for day to day use both in terms of blade length (about 2'') and total width (probably around 0.25''), but I'd prefer a stainless steel blade. This one rusts way too easily.

While I definitely want a quality knife and am willing to put a bit of money into it, slimness is the key factor I'm interested in. Bulkier pocket knives tend to annoy me when I'm walking around with them in my pocket because they bump around and are visible through the pocket. This one sort of just molds to my leg and I forget about it.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and/or specific knife? Also is there any sort of gear-related megathread where this would be better posted? I couldn't find anything.