Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Koalas March posted:

There's a lot to unpack here. What do you really want to know? You mentioned misogyny, there is a type called misogynoir in black feminist spaces. It refers specifically to to the combined racism and misogyny that black women face. There is also an element of colorism there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogynoir

Then you have stuff like this:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55a519fae4b0b8145f738a39

holy poo poo that's a hashtag? what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

nutranurse posted:

Misogynoir is too cool of a term for such an ugly practice.

It really is.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

Closing the Book on Gawker.com - data wrapup of Gawker's tenure. There's a list of the most-recommended posters and posts in Kinja history, any Goons on the list? The comments have sucked there for the past few years but they were good around 2010, iirc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

emdash posted:

he just got banned, period. $10 to get back in type thing

Trump is speaking tonight apparently. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/767875613633937408

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/767861443328897024

It's a tragedy, have to have a field medic kit on me at all times when I walk to the McDonalds down the street from my job.

Do you know how stressful it is to get shot every day :smith:

It certainly can't get any worse than this.

So exactly what you'd expect from a bigoted rich blowhard run by open white supremacists? He's the gift that keeps on taking.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Geostomp posted:

So exactly what you'd expect from a bigoted rich blowhard run by open white supremacists? He's the gift that keeps on taking.

I'm gonna be real thankful for those quotes if they get a lot of play on the news. They may well take away from what was shaping up to be a bad news week for Clinton.

Was there any follow up to Trump's canceled events?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

emdash posted:

he just got banned, period. $10 to get back in type thing

Trump is speaking tonight apparently. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/767875613633937408

Yeah, this DEFINITELY isn't aimed at black folks. It's aimed at white people who are convinced that "bad" neighborhoods are deathtraps. My pasty white rear end lived in a "bad" neighborhood for years and the worst thing that happened was my license plate ending up on a stolen van. Well there was also the time a woman flagged down my car and rambled at me for a few minutes before calling me "a real redbone." That was just surreal.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

? I don't see where it announces that you've stopped posting?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Koalas March posted:

There's a lot to unpack here. What do you really want to know? You mentioned misogyny, there is a type called misogynoir in black feminist spaces. It refers specifically to to the combined racism and misogyny that black women face. There is also an element of colorism there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogynoir

Then you have stuff like this:
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55a519fae4b0b8145f738a39

Woah, that's interesting. Colorism as a concept is also one I'm a little familiar with, but will read up on. Misogynoir is... interesting and awful.

Specifically, what are some examples of problems unique to what black folk do to other black folk, or that black folk face outside of white vs. black racism? Or is that still super, super broad? I literally know so little I'm worried about being offensive accidentally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

there wolf posted:

Not getting poo poo for stuff white people do and get praised for is actually a pretty low bar. Ideally people should get credit, praise, and success for the things they come up with without having it all stop at at the white middleman who 'introduced' it to mainstream culture. That's part of the problem with cultural appropriation. When people don't get credit then they don't get valued as a contributors to society/culture/whatever, and that effects how they're valued as people.

That's a really succinct way of explaining it, thank you.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Family Values posted:

Tina Turner and Diana Ross were *definitely* sex symbols of the 70s and 80s even for us white folks.

:fap:

I don't know if the qualify as 'dark skinned black women'. Also, I'm old as gently caress so this may very well qualify as an opinion from before the current zeitgeist.

As a white older millennial I don't have much to contribute to race talk other than like, I try to be conscious of my predisposition to project stereotypes and check my prejudice when I identify it, and just generally try to treat people as I would like to be; but I did want to add to the above that the whitest white guy I know has a very very weird and very innocent crush on Pam Grier.

Pam Grier was a sex symbol in the 70s for us white folks as well.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
On O'Reilly today, they've set up Trump to look like a talking version of his portrait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUZEdtVhAE

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Woah, that's interesting. Colorism as a concept is also one I'm a little familiar with, but will read up on. Misogynoir is... interesting and awful.

Specifically, what are some examples of problems unique to what black folk do to other black folk, or that black folk face outside of white vs. black racism? Or is that still super, super broad? I literally know so little I'm worried about being offensive accidentally.

Hair is a big thing. There's even a documentary about it. Having "good" (white) hair is more attractive. It also helps you when you're job searching. Certain types of black hair are seen as unprofessional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-4qxz08So

And "Becky with the good hair" became a meme out of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxsmWxxouIM

Lightskinned black women are generally considered more attractive, but also sluts. Dark skinned black women are also sluts, (wow!) but some people will say they are dirty or loud or ghetto/rachet. Then you have the media reinforcing this stuff. Girls in music videos are usually always lightskinned. (Props to Beyonce for breaking this stereotype in Lemonade. Everyone go watch Lemonade.) Black women on TV is a whole 'nother thing to unpack, because there's a lot to go into there. I'm going to post this again because it's relevant to how the media reinfornces stereotypes.

quote:

Just having a black female lead isn’t enough though. Characters who are black women often fall into many negative stereotypes. They are often written as fat, sassy, aggressive, angry, self-indulgent, hypersexual, and gold digging single mothers. Rarely are they portrayed as vulnerable, desirable, loving, carefree, silly, elegant, soft or genteel.

The rare characters that become love interests for a white male protagonist are often sidelined for a white woman. It’s inexplicably rare for the black women character to be the one to whom the white protagonist declares his devotion to and stays with in the end. Black women characters are often forced into the “Mammy” caricature: a workhorse forced to care for white characters, carry their burdens, and assist in cleaning up their messes. Characters who fall into the “Mammy” trope often martyr themselves for the sake of white characters.

Any black female fan of a show that isn’t considered “a black show” by the industry, learns quickly that when a character exists that’s intended to represent “our demographic”, the fandom will find any reason they can to hate her. They’ll write long screeds about how her mere presence ruins the show, and they’ll call for her to be killed off. If this character is a lead, the abuse intensifies. White, usually female fans, will send online abuse to the actress and harass her fans, often using racial slurs.

As a black women who are fans of black female characters, we are constantly reminded how much hate there is for black women and how voraciously people in fandoms dig for reasons to justify it. Oftentimes white female characters are lauded for doing the same things that white fan bases hate black female characters for.

But the hate that black women characters receives isn’t only blatant, with death threats and tirades of racial slurs there are often fans of the show who loathe her, but swear up and down they don’t know why.

In summation white supremacy has done a number on us, and we are often racist to our own people. There also others who just fine with the status quo (black republicans) and think everyone should assimilate to white culture and stop being so "ghetto".

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 23, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

crime at levels nobody's seen (since 1968, the last time violent crime was this low)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dr.Smasher posted:

If I had to guess it's 1300 posts of race chat

I was about to praise uspol for keeping under 1000 posts per day, too.

At least it was just an rear end in a top hat and not an actual political bombshell.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I live in a really diverse town in MA just south of Boston. (In fact it was at one point the most diverse town in the North East US) There are more Black and Asian people living here than white people, at least below the age of 60ish. And like half the white people are Jewish. Meanwhile all the surrounding towns are the white dominated suburban towns you'd imagine surrounding Boston. Which of course means that my town has a reputation ingrained throughout the entire region of being a total ghetto. Which, coming from a lifelong resident who is as white as the driven snow, is loving laughable.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 23, 2016

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

disjoe posted:

This is how black people dial the phone:

boop-a-doop-doop beep boop

This is how white people dial the phone:

beep boop boop boop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8_7LWDx0w

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Your quote's reference to fandom is an interesting one. As a white guy who doesn't participate in any fandoms, it's really easy to just divorce myself form it entirely and write it off. But that they develop a certain amount of capital and can make enjoyment of a cultural thing into a hostile situation for minorities is a revealing one. Like, I knew the gamergate crowd existed and that they're insane but it seems like it exists with all cultural products? It seems really hosed up because I can just act like I'm above it all because I don't even own a tv :smug: but if a minority were to do the same thing I imagine that accusations would be more like you're uncultured or can't appreciate it. Is that the case?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SquadronROE posted:

OK moment of silence over. I'm genuinely interested - what ARE the problems in black culture (are there even any worth talking about?), from people who live it? Not from people on the outside trying to whitesplain something.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd think it's... misogyny, maybe mixed in with being constantly being made to feel like an outsider by a certain segment of the population. But I might be super wrong. I honestly know very little about what it's like to live in a black household, which I always regret. I wish I had black friends who were open to talking about this poo poo.

In my mind, one of the big ones I don't see enough pushback on is the high prevalence and acceptance of corporeal punishment. I've even seen it as a point of pride compared to white mothers letting their children run wild.

And as a hard thing, that's the exact type of thing to share in mixed company, rallying around lovely famous people just because they're black. This was basically the point of the R. Kelly episode of The Boondocks.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/767861443328897024

It's a tragedy, have to have a field medic kit on me at all times when I walk to the McDonalds down the street from my job.

Do you know how stressful it is to get shot every day :smith:

It certainly can't get any worse than this.
I found your problem. Cops are always eating in their cruisers in McDonald's parking lots, which explains why you keep getting shot. I recommend having a white person pick up the McD's for you. Chris Christie is a good choice, as he has experience in this field, and doesn't really have anything better to do.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

N. Senada posted:

Your quote's reference to fandom is an interesting one. As a white guy who doesn't participate in any fandoms, it's really easy to just divorce myself form it entirely and write it off. But that they develop a certain amount of capital and can make enjoyment of a cultural thing into a hostile situation for minorities is a revealing one. Like, I knew the gamergate crowd existed and that they're insane but it seems like it exists with all cultural products?

Ah, dude, even loving furries have that poo poo going on, a big deal last year was a guy wearing a Confederate flag fursuit to a con, and arguments when the con told him to take it off. There's no easy escape from that sea of white supremacy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

N. Senada posted:

Your quote's reference to fandom is an interesting one. As a white guy who doesn't participate in any fandoms, it's really easy to just divorce myself form it entirely and write it off. But that they develop a certain amount of capital and can make enjoyment of a cultural thing into a hostile situation for minorities is a revealing one. Like, I knew the gamergate crowd existed and that they're insane but it seems like it exists with all cultural products? It seems really hosed up because I can just act like I'm above it all because I don't even own a tv :smug: but if a minority were to do the same thing I imagine that accusations would be more like you're uncultured or can't appreciate it. Is that the case?

Yeah. Like I never watched Breaking Bad for reasons that would take awhile to explain probably, and white men always act like I'm a nutcase. Maybe it's because I'm in film and getting into TV idk. Which is why I follow fandoms and news about shows I like. I am not a weird tumblrite or anything but as someone who wants to be a show runner following fans is really interesting to me.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Okay, so I can't run through 1000 posts. Did anything happen or is this more chat about names and food again?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ice Phisherman posted:

Okay, so I can't run through 1000 posts. Did anything happen or is this more chat about names and food again?

A dude got probed for a month then banned (so he can't even re-register for a month, right?) for saying some really stupid racist nonsense and being wholly unrepentant, I gather

So yeah you're good

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Definitely don't bother. Just uhhh, assume those didn't happen

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

You missed lots of discussions and shitposting. Racism. Colorism. Misogynoir. Black people posting pics to with paper bags to prove our blackness after being accused of being white. There are was lot of bad stuff but good stuff worth reading sprinkled in the last few pages.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Ciaphas posted:

A dude got probed for a month then banned (so he can't even re-register for a month, right?) for saying some really stupid racist nonsense and being wholly unrepentant, I gather

So yeah you're good

We've been having an entirely reasonable conversation over PM, so doesn't seem super banned???

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

CherryCola posted:

We've been having an entirely reasonable conversation over PM, so doesn't seem super banned???

Yeah, banning and probation do not affect each other. The ban just means you need to reregister, the probation keeps you from posting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ah, I thought they acted simultaneously but ticked off in sequence. Nevermind!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

On O'Reilly today, they've set up Trump to look like a talking version of his portrait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUZEdtVhAE

What, like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3w7LNKzO1w&t=152s 2:32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H1f2lBJ7ow

It's Late Night with Conan O'Brien (featuring: The Russian), a pro-click

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 23, 2016

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Well, scrambling for cover in the face of Trump-U and his other legal problems isn't exactly unexpected.

I am honestly wondering how things like this are playing out with the public.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koalas March posted:

In summation white supremacy has done a number on us, and we are often racist to our own people. There also others who just fine with the status quo (black republicans) and think everyone should assimilate to white culture and stop being so "ghetto".
(Disclosure: white dude)

It's interesting that you listed "vulnerable" as one of the things that are missing, since it feels like it's something that (generally white?) feminists often point out is overdone with (generally white?) female characters.
(And also I would generally view "sassy" as a positive, but I guess if it's an overdone stereotype of a group one belongs to it would get really grating...)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So is the media actually trying to push a horse race narrative now? I kinda thought that was done once Trump starting calling for actual violence against journalists.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I followed a link to Trump on Conan promoting his season of The Apprentice in Los Angeles. He gets mad at Conan for asking about Rosie then goes on about her for a while, before showing an utterly ludicrous promo for his show, featuring Melania greeting him as he pulls up in a limo. Just watch it and remember the good ol' days of Late Night. And the FedEx Pope (not actually featured).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KkCfOLgJtY

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

OddObserver posted:

It's interesting that you listed "vulnerable" as one of the things that are missing, since it feels like it's something that (generally white?) feminists often point out is overdone with (generally white?) female characters.
(And also I would generally view "sassy" as a positive, but I guess if it's an overdone stereotype of a group one belongs to it would get really grating...)

It's definitely a white woman concern to call out portraying a character as vulnerable. Black women are never allowed to be vulnerable. They have to be tough, they always have to be the head of their household or doggedly pushing their way into some other socially masculine space. They're loud, sassy, talk back, make poor partners because they never support you, etc. etc.

A black woman being vulnerable in the damsel in distress light that white feminists justly decry would be a kind of hosed up step forward because at least a damsel in distress is desired.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Kilroy posted:

So is the media actually trying to push a horse race narrative now? I kinda thought that was done once Trump starting calling for actual violence against journalists.

The only dumb thing Trump said this week would involve the media having an honest conversation about race, so they're just going back to the horse race until he gives them something to work with.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Question here about polls, THis is from the Princeton Election Consortium

Clinton Nov. win probability: random drift 91%, Bayesian 95%

So does that mean Clinton has a 91% chance of winning or what?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

To black people ITT, what's the one piece of legislation, court decision, or executive order you most want to see/see actually enforced? I've talked about it with people in my community, but I'm interested in a geographically broader perspective.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, the problems with black female characters and white characters are generally reversed. We don't usually get to be love interests (Thanks Shonda Rhimes, The Flash, and Spiderman!) whereas white one are usually nothing more than that. We are prostitutes/hypersexual, caretakers or strong women that don't need a man. Meanwhile you have white women rightfully asking that they portrayed as strong women who don't need men because that's something they don't get to see often. Then again you also have racist people saying that certain black women characters (Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow, for example, or Michonne from Walking Dead) should be strong, not need men and be forever alone (because white feminism!) which would conveniently remove their relationship with the (always white) leading man.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

To black people ITT, what's the one piece of legislation, court decision, or executive order you most want to see/see actually enforced? I've talked about it with people in my community, but I'm interested in a geographically broader perspective.

Mincome. I'd say complete reform of the ENTIRE criminal justice system, but I don't think that could be done with just one bill or order.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 23, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BigRed0427 posted:

Question here about polls, THis is from the Princeton Election Consortium

Clinton Nov. win probability: random drift 91%, Bayesian 95%

So does that mean Clinton has a 91% chance of winning or what?

quote:

To estimate how much future movement may occur, we make two calculations of probability, both of which appear in the banner at the top of this website:

*“random drift”: This calculation assumes random drift in either direction by an amount that matches past patterns in polling from 1952 to 2012;
*“Bayesian”: In this approach, the up-and-down variation in the Clinton-Trump polling margin so far in 2016 is used to establish a “prior”, i.e. the expected range of future movement. Variation to date is used estimate the midpoint of the likely range of futurevalues. This variation is then estimated conservatively to vary by approximately 7 percentage points, in order to not constrain the November possibilities too much. assumed range is more than twice as broad as the observed variation in 2004-2012, which were very stable compared to elections since 1952.

At the moment, we are using national polls to set the prior. Once we have enough Meta-Margin history, we will use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Race-aware student loan+loan forgiveness programs. It's one thing to be another college grad drowning in debt, it's a whole other thing to be a college grad drowning in debt because you're too black to get a decent job.

While this isn't my particular case, I've seen it gently caress over a fair share of my friends, family, and acquaintances.

• Locked thread