Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really doubt Overwatch lasting long as a competitive game if Blizzard can't figure out how to balance it better AND make it appealing to spectators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Unfunny Poster posted:

I thought OGN picked it up already? I remember watching some stream from Korea by OGN on Twitch for Ovewatch a week or two before the release.

I don't really watch TV but I just checked the TV Guide online and the next 7 days are are all HotS, LoL, variety shows, and then a Hearthstone thing every other day.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
But then what do I know I thought digital card games would never catch on and here we are.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Blizz gave up on a HotS league when people stopped playing the game wholesale. They're currently giving up on the game in general because there are too many MOBAs, theirs was boring, and Overwatch is much more popular (for now). I had a chance to watch the finals of the HotS college league earlier this year for free and passed because it wasn't worth going across town. Apparently most people agreed with me because Blizzard rented out a nearly empty WaMu theater for it.

Overwatch can't sustain a pro scene because of how fast it plays and how quickly things change, imo.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The next big pro esports scene will be that console lord of the rings moba game from years ago just you wait

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The best period to play and enjoy video games is between the day it releases and the day that people start talking about tournaments and smugly talk about buzzwords like optimization and meta. That's why Goldeneye Source is where the fun's at right now... maybe also some of the dota custom games.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Wait, I just perusing the HotS forum, and you have to pay for each hero individually? What?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wait, I just perusing the HotS forum, and you have to pay for each hero individually? What?

you can get them with in-game currency that you earn by playing, as well. But yeah, just like League you do not start with access to every hero

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Blizzard is greedy as hell so no surprise they copied the LoL system. I was genuinely surprised they didn't do the same poo poo with Overwatch.

Instead they just opted for a cosmetic system that relies entirely on gambling.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

I really doubt Overwatch lasting long as a competitive game if Blizzard can't figure out how to balance it better AND make it appealing to spectators.

Not like that stopped league

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the bottom fell out of the "pay for characters" method real quick when people realized that no one is gonna leave their current game to farm up a bunch of new heroes in a new game. it worked for league because it was the only f2p game in town but now its a packed market

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"Pay for characters" only really works when it's analogous to "pay to win" because the unlockable characters are objectively better at every thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Radical posted:

the bottom fell out of the "pay for characters" method real quick when people realized that no one is gonna leave their current game to farm up a bunch of new heroes in a new game. it worked for league because it was the only f2p game in town but now its a packed market

I think this is what Blizzard doesn't understand. Hell, put most MOBA designers and marketers in that same category. People have so much invested time and money into LoL and DOTA2 that you'd need to truly offer something better (not just different, but better) to overcome the sunk cost. HotS was just boring and I'd get my fill in fun modes back when Valve actually did holiday events (give diretide). Like, what does HotS offer to the crowd who are so invested in LoL and DOTA? Blizzard characters?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

I think this is what Blizzard doesn't understand. Hell, put most MOBA designers and marketers in that same category. People have so much invested time and money into LoL and DOTA2 that you'd need to truly offer something better (not just different, but better) to overcome the sunk cost. HotS was just boring and I'd get my fill in fun modes back when Valve actually did holiday events (give diretide). Like, what does HotS offer to the crowd who are so invested in LoL and DOTA? Blizzard characters?

They could almost just reverse clone DOTA2, since DOTA2 is all knock off Blizzard properties with slightly changed races/species/names.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

you can get them with in-game currency that you earn by playing, as well. But yeah, just like League you do not start with access to every hero

There's a guy on the forum that discusses how long it takes to buy the characters, and he's been playing since launch, and has a high rank, and he's can only afford one or two of the supports. That's just nuts.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

There's a guy on the forum that discusses how long it takes to buy the characters, and he's been playing since launch, and has a high rank, and he's can only afford one or two of the supports. That's just nuts.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. There might be some mitigating factors that you're not understanding/I'm not aware of in that guy's case; my experience was if you do the daily quests for the in-game currency, you can rack up cheap heroes pretty quickly.

Now whether they have "coincidentally" made the best heroes also the most expensive at times, I can't say

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

drunken officeparty posted:

Is csgo bigger than dota? Obvii not bigger than league and obvii has less money but I mean viewership wise.

CSGO is bigger than both League and Dota in Europe, but it has next to no presence in Asia, so it's smaller overall.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

emdash posted:

I don't think that's necessarily the case. There might be some mitigating factors that you're not understanding/I'm not aware of in that guy's case; my experience was if you do the daily quests for the in-game currency, you can rack up cheap heroes pretty quickly.

Now whether they have "coincidentally" made the best heroes also the most expensive at times, I can't say

For the most part the most expensive heroes are simply the newest ones, not necessarily the best ones. The problem is that they go from 15k gold to 10k gold quickly after release, then were supposed to drop down lower based on some obscure criteria, but eventually heroes stopped leaving the 10k bracket.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Imagine if DOTA2 did that, people would flock to buy Techies after that Tusk/Techies phase, and then they'd be nerfed to oblivion.

Nothing like having a fake economy purposefully devalue your goods to spur future purchases.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

riot established an actual criteria based on release dates so that x heroes all exist in certain IP cost brackets and it was one of the better things they did. while trying to be a new player to that game in 2016 is kinda ridic i had quit in s1 and was missing 10~ heroes at the time and this year when i started playing again casually i was missing, i think, 50~ ish heroes and now im missing about 20.

i think anyone who plays any game seriously will have no issue getting all the guys but if you play casually you're always restricted to whatevers free that week and it can get kinda tiresome i imagine since about half of the free heroes in the rotation are probably really cheap so you're only ever going to be able to try one or new of the newer, more interesting characters.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really like Smites model: pay per hero, or your can pay like $40 for every hero now and forever.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I think that model is total poo poo and only like dotas model tyvm

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Overwatch is currently in the process of murdering league and I would be surprised if league lasts like more than 5 more years at this point. Overwatch is fun to play casually, league isn't. Dota is fun to play competitively, league isnt. League doesn't have an audience anymore.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
League's fanbase pnly persists because of all the sunk costs involved therein. They're not pulling in new players or viewers for the most part and they're rapidly losing market share to games that aren't freemium or locking content behind paywalls.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zurreco posted:

League's fanbase pnly persists because of all the sunk costs involved therein. They're not pulling in new players or viewers for the most part and they're rapidly losing market share to games that aren't freemium or locking content behind paywalls.

On twitch, LoL is consistently above 100k, while DOTA2 hovers around 20-30k except during the majors. Is LoL really on a decline, note that I don't care, I just stream DOTA while I work to have something to listen to.

Also, Heartstone and FPS streaming is awful to watch.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

league has a crazy streamer culture that dota never really had and i could probably write a drat essay about all the reasons why

if you look at the numbers for league's LCS playoffs vs a dota major (they're roughly equivalent in terms of importance) the viewer numbers can look pretty similar depending on the teams and the time of day but league's top end is so much higher for their international because it def. does have a larger english speaking playerbase overall, they just have little interest in most matches it seems.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Radical posted:

league has a crazy streamer culture that dota never really had and i could probably write a drat essay about all the reasons why

i'd read it

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Radical posted:

Luceid posted:

i'd read it

Same. Last time I remember watching any LoL stream was when I used to play back before Dota 2 was a thing and I'd watch semi-pro players stream on own3d.tv

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone know how's Overwatch doing in other less developed markets? Previously, it was cited that Dota 2 was being held back by the lack of decent computers able to run the game where as LoL and WC3 Dota have much less demanding system requirements.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Overwatch is succeeding because its genuinely fun and also doesn't directly compare to anything else gameplay wise. The closest game to it was Battleborn and that game dug its own grave, Blizzard just pushed them into it. It'll probably last a good amount of time, but I doubt its competitive scene is ever really gonna take off. Blizzard isn't balancing it well and their map design is really, really bad for high tier play.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Radical posted:

if you look at the numbers for league's LCS playoffs vs a dota major (they're roughly equivalent in terms of importance) the viewer numbers can look pretty similar depending on the teams and the time of day but league's top end is so much higher for their international because it def. does have a larger english speaking playerbase overall, they just have little interest in most matches it seems.

I would like to read your drat essay, also I have noticed that it is generally harder to get my friends who play or have played dota to watch dota for whatever reason.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Geight posted:

I would like to read your drat essay, also I have noticed that it is generally harder to get my friends who play or have played dota to watch dota for whatever reason.

Really? I would have assumed the opposite. Seriously, no one in this thread actually plays Dota right? We just watch it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

Overwatch is succeeding because its genuinely fun and also doesn't directly compare to anything else gameplay wise. The closest game to it was Battleborn and that game dug its own grave, Blizzard just pushed them into it. It'll probably last a good amount of time, but I doubt its competitive scene is ever really gonna take off. Blizzard isn't balancing it well and their map design is really, really bad for high tier play.
Overwatch is basically Team Fortress 3, but everyone stopped caring about TF2 even before Valve added a bunch of goofy hats and loadouts. It has a bit of the crossover appeal with MOBA players, but some of that is just because a bunch of people who did SC2 casting/analysis are fairly friendly toward Blizzard.

Xtanstic posted:

Really? I would have assumed the opposite. Seriously, no one in this thread actually plays Dota right? We just watch it.
I still play, although less than I watch. It never hit the same level of ladder anxiety for me that SC2 did.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What hero do you wanna pick to get the "Its Pure Magic" quest cause I'm struggling to think of anyone that deals magic damage in multiple increments over a short period of time.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

I play, but mainly unranked so I don't get too mad about losing my imaginary points.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Internet Kraken posted:

What hero do you wanna pick to get the "Its Pure Magic" quest cause I'm struggling to think of anyone that deals magic damage in multiple increments over a short period of time.

Zeus with mjolnir

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

Refresher Zeus, and you probably want the game to go late so that Static Field counts. I guess Mjolnir helps but that's kinda goofy and out of your way, and you still need to actually win the game.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 23, 2016

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

It's pretty easy to do with enigma and level 3 ult

Well, getting a full ult off with enough people in it maybe isn't so easy but if you can manage it you're basically guaranteed to get the quest done

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Silencer or OD? How is this a question?
Or sorry just saw "pure" and assumed it had to be pure dmg
Just read the requirements for that. Veno, aghs silencer, storm spirit, axe, zeus
Wait nevermind. Has to be 100 magic dmg 20 times in ten seconds? Wow. Cm or veno with veil? Zeus. Axe still can work if you get a good blink call. Wow man this is why I hate having quests in dota.
Meepo or refresher and veil shaker can do it.
Ok 7th edit: just don't do it because you're probably making GBS threads up the game for your team as you focus on trying to do this.
Disraptor.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

On twitch, LoL is consistently above 100k, while DOTA2 hovers around 20-30k except during the majors. Is LoL really on a decline, note that I don't care, I just stream DOTA while I work to have something to listen to.

League on Twitch is rife with viewbotting. I'm not saying that other games don't do that as well, but League is apparently far and away the most complicit.

That being said, your statement doesn't refute what I said. A fair amount of people who like League, either in playing or watching, do so because they had to invest so much time into it already.

• Locked thread