Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Geostomp posted:

The whitewashing of history and the country's many, many atrocities are huge barriers to providing context for today's issues. Especially when race and warfare are involved. Some of it is a misguided attempt to shield children from the realities of the world, but good old fashioned racism and willful ignorance are huge contributors (see: white people getting credit for everything in history). We have made some strides in correcting this, but we face huge pushback from conservative groups in love with the mythology and against their children getting dangerous "liberal" ideas from actual facts.

Yeah I really think things would improve if we just taught history as it was. It's important for people to know the bad as well as the good, because that helps us not repeat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

I'm pretty sure she's saying that while it's great that JLo and Beyoncé have changed the conversation slightly about what isn't beautiful (big butts, big thighs) they are still impossibly beautiful and perfect women and their status as sex symbols doesn't do much to make average women feel any better about their bodies.

The "Nah just joking" part makes it seems like she is stating anything positive she said previously was bullshit for comedic effect but I admit I don't really follow Tina Fey enough to know her style.

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah I really think things would improve if we just taught history as it was. It's important for people to know the bad as well as the good, because that helps us not repeat it.

A lot of people get REALLY offended if you try to talk about real history since their ancestor's morality get called into question.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Doesn't Jessica Williams have a segment about hair and how the military was changing their policy back to being less accommodating of black soldiers now that Iraq was winding down?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Radish posted:

The "Nah just joking" part makes it seems like she is stating anything positive she said previously was bullshit for comedic effect but I admit I don't really follow Tina Fey enough to know her style.

A lot of people get REALLY offended if you try to talk about real history since their ancestor's morality get called into question.

Her style is fun pro-white women feminist stuff that blows up whenever someone of color walks onto the scene. Then again she seems vaguely self aware at times since in her shows it will be minorities who call out white characters for racism, but then again characters like Dong from kimmy schmidt exist so it's all kinds of good and bad and steps forward and steps back.

Like all comedians, bank on her being a bad person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SquadronROE posted:

History (and Historical narratives, specifically) is inherently biased by definition. There is no "as it was".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really entertaining to see the right wing all frothing at the mouth that more emails may come out, even thought the FBI has had them for some time. Once again they fully expect one email where Hillary takes credit for 9/11, Benghazi, and Harambe in the same sentence.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah but Sisko was the best Captain!

I see your point though. I'm watching News Room currently and the only black person that is not a bit character so far is a bodyguard. It's weird, for such a progressive show.

It's more than just that. Take a look at the common depictions of history: white people are the innovators, the industrialists, the war heroes. Meanwhile, the people of color are basically an afterthought. Sure, people hear about slavery and occasionally the oppression of natives, but very rarely is there any detail on the history of atrocities that the nation was founded on or the real contributions of non white groups to our culture, much less what their original cultures were before the thorough efforts to exterminate them all. For far too many, the whitewashed history is all they ever learn so they really do assume that it was all white people doing everything important. So much so that there is backlash any time attempts to make it more accurate are proposed.

Our entire culture is build on the assumption of white superiority. When you grow up around that, it's easy to buy into the implications that you are the inferior ones for not being glorious white people.

And that's without the Republican party's blatant, malicious racist attacks for support. Let alone their media and Trump's crew legitimizing it to a degree not seen in decades.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Andrea Tantaros of Fox News Claims Retaliation for Harassment Complaints

She filed suit today in New York. Here's some choice quotes:

“Fox News masquerades as a defender of traditional family values, but behind the scenes, it operates like a sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult, steeped in intimidation, indecency and misogyny,” Ms. Tantaros’s suit says.

According to the lawsuit, Ms. Tantaros said she had been subjected to unwelcome advances from Mr. O’Reilly, whom she had regarded as a friend and adviser.

Ms. Tantaros joined Fox as a contributor in 2010, and a year later was named co-host of “The Five,” which aired at 5 p.m. She said in the suit that she was repeatedly told by Fox executives that she could not wear pants on the air because “Roger wants to see your legs.”

Del Capitan
Feb 9, 2007

Congratulations! You have brought Chaos to the world!
One of the big things that came up today was that there is a narrative that there's only one way to be 'truly' black. I'm curious, is this One True Only way something that actual humans can really experience? Or is is cobbled together from so many disparate things that few people could actually hope to live up to it? Or does it just shift and flow so much from community to community that there's not even a general agreed upon One True Only Way?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

computer parts posted:

History (and Historical narratives, specifically) is inherently biased by definition. There is no "as it was".

Yeah but we could do a better job trying to show what happened.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Del Capitan posted:

One of the big things that came up today was that there is a narrative that there's only one way to be 'truly' black. I'm curious, is this One True Only way something that actual humans can really experience? Or is is cobbled together from so many disparate things that few people could actually hope to live up to it? Or does it just shift and flow so much from community to community that there's not even a general agreed upon One True Only Way?

Turns out you don't have to be a Scotsman for it to apply! (i'm making a really bad no true scotsman joke)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Idk if you do screenwriting my boss is helping me start my own production company and I'd love to showcase black people in Victorian Literature and sci-fi either in short films or webseries. We'd be working on a micro budget but hey, it's something.

I have done some screenwriting in the past, mostly in the academic setting, but I do enjoy the idea of it.

I currently work for peanuts writing ad copy and blog posts for businesses, so micro-budgets are my middle name :)

I don't have PM's here, but you can DM me on twitter

ttownmike

nutranurse posted:

Half the reason I didn't pursue my original goal of becoming a professor was because I was flat out told by another minority professor, who struggled his way into teaching old english lit, that as a black guy I would be hired to teach black things or nothing else. That's it, not much you can do about it unless you're some wunderkind who works 10 times as hard as any white kid looking to get into classics or whatever subject you shouldnt be studying since you're black.

One of these most frustrating realizations i had in school way back when was that I was seen as an aberration for my love of Victorian era literature. Why wasn't I doing AA-lit or even African classics was the question I always got. Maybe I identify with the class struggle of the 19th century and already read enough Langston Hughes on my own!?

Yea, post school has been a drag. I managed restaurants for 10 years, and even there was a racist hell hole.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

computer parts posted:

Yep, this is the real joy of historiography. You can get sort of close by literally just presenting documents and artifacts, but even then, you're viewing the history through the lens of what documents and artifacts you chose to present, which ones survived to be presented, and which people exactly produced them. There is no pure history.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/us/politics/hillary-clintons-new-emails-release-state-department.html

These e-mails are never going to go away and now it's turning into a "Clinton Foundation is crooked and she's crooked" narrative.

Why couldn't she just stop using that stupid Blackberry?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

zoux posted:

The race stuff is fine I just mean 100 people arguing with one obviously insane dude/unbelievable rear end in a top hat is really dull

From what ive been told you're actually racist for not reading and enjoying each and every post of the dogpile

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Del Capitan posted:

I think the monolithic "Black Culture" is something that has persisted because of stereotyping and racism, and has been perpetuated by black people ourselves as well. I was always told as a kid I wasn't "black enough" because I liked to read, did well in school, and preferred grunge music to hip hop. I wore flannel and loved Nirvana when I was a kid and that apparently was not black.

We have only recently as a society really started having the conversation about "blackness" and what it means, and it is mainly due to the internet allowing us to find black people who are just like us.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brony Car posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/us/politics/hillary-clintons-new-emails-release-state-department.html

These e-mails are never going to go away and now it's turning into a "Clinton Foundation is crooked and she's crooked" narrative.

If this loses her the election I swear to poo poo

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

From what ive been told you're actually racist for not reading and enjoying each and every post of the dogpile

Your struggle is so real.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Brony Car posted:

The only people who care are the media who want hot takes and people who would crawl over rusty razors to vote against Hillary.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Yup. I never understood this, by the way. You get people saying poo poo like "I'm not responsible for the actions of my ancestors."

No poo poo, dude, so why are you so upset that you have to learn about it? No one's going to try to persecute some rear end from Trabzon for the Armenian genocide or a modern Carolinian for the genocide of the Lumbee. Where does this poo poo come from?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Your struggle is so real.

white grievance politics is real and strong, my friend

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I see the Republicans are predictably hyping up emails the content of which they know nothing. Breathlessly reported as a "bombshell" over here, because we suck.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

New Trump Scandal :siren:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-campaign-rent_us_57bba424e4b03d51368a82b9?o9ix30du10s5rk9

TL:DR Trump jacked the rent of his campaign office in his own Trump tower 4x higher(to almost 170k/month from 35k/month back in March), once the rent was being paid by donor money. Basically pocketing donations.

I'm not shocked. I'd be shocked if this goes anywhere. I mean HILLARY'S EMAILS OMG

edit: It's nearly 5 times higher actually. 35k*5 = 175,000.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

If she had they'd use something else.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

*walks into thread*

*presses button*

Gentlemen.

*walks out, slams door behind him*

*door collapses after 10 secs*

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

DemeaninDemon posted:

The only people who care are the media who want hot takes and people who would crawl over rusty razors to vote against Hillary.

Trustworthiness is a serious issue for Clinton. Like it or not, the 24 years of non-stop smearing against her by the republicans has taken root in a large part of the population, many who aren't thrilled about either candidate.

Thus far Clinton's campaign has been real smart about having people look at Trump as he was hogging the spot light. If the light gets shined on her, the media and many voters will see that she can do no right and suddenly the "close horse race" narrative is back on.

We just have to hope that Trump keeps liking the sound of his own voice and that Hillary kills it on the first debate.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dirt posted:

New Trump Scandal :siren:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-campaign-rent_us_57bba424e4b03d51368a82b9?o9ix30du10s5rk9

TL:DR Trump jacked the rent of his campaign office in his own Trump tower 4x higher(to almost 170k/month from 35k/month back in March), once the rent was being paid by donor money. Basically pocketing donations.

I'm not shocked. I'd be shocked if this goes anywhere. I mean HILLARY'S EMAILS OMG

This is loving hilarious.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Brony Car posted:

I apologize if I'm illiterate and missed this, but were these reviewed prior to the determination not to indict?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

I apologize if I'm illiterate and missed this, but were these reviewed prior to the determination not to indict?

Yes.

The debate is now over how fast the state department will release them. The State Department would like to redact them and make sure they are cleared for public release.

Others want them all released with no redacting and no screening.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Captain Stalin posted:

Trustworthiness is a serious issue for Clinton. Like it or not, the 24 years of non-stop smearing against her by the republicans has taken root in a large part of the population, many who aren't thrilled about either candidate.

Thus far Clinton's campaign has been real smart about having people look at Trump as he was hogging the spot light. If the light gets shined on her, the media and many voters will see that she can do no right and suddenly the "close horse race" narrative is back on.

We just have to hope that Trump keeps liking the sound of his own voice and that Hillary kills it on the first debate.

Good thing Trump's a moron who can't go a week without some idiotic thing coming from his campaign or mouth.

Also no one really gives a gently caress about emails.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What reforms will the GOP make to put more power into top donor / establishment hands after the inevitable November rout? I just can't imagine them leaving the possibility of Another Trump for next cycle.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

I mean maybe I am misinterpreting what she is saying but is it as horrible as it sounds?

No...? It's just the beauty myth thing where there's this impossible standard women are pressured to keep throwing themselves at, and their inevitable failure is just an excuse to criticize and tear them down. When curvier figures came back into vogue after the heroine chic years, it wasn't really about expanding the definitions of beauty or increased acceptance of more diverse body types; it was just the goal posts shifting again to create a new standard most women will never achieve and none will maintain so the culture can keep beating them for not being perfect. It's not a bad point, but it's something you have to be thoughtful in how you express when the subject intersects with race least you end up sounding like you're making GBS threads on greater acceptance of non-white bodies.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

Yes.

The debate is now over how fast the state department will release them. The State Department would like to redact them and make sure they are cleared for public release.

Others want them all released with no redacting and no screening.

You'd think Republicans would want them redacted, because then they could tell supporters all their worst fears are the parts that w[redacted].

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think it's cool that you're curious about this stuff and if whatever that 1300-post mess was generated interest in this topic it was worth it, imo. It's a little uncomfortable to criticize black culture in mixed company - this isn't the most favorable environment for discussing perspectives different than the default white male goon, as you might have noticed, and I at least (black woman from the North) was raised not to air "dirty laundry" in front of white people. So posting any of this requires a degree of trust I hope you'll validate.

Just to list some things off, let me know if you want more details on anything:

Obviously the whole cops-murdering-us thing, but black women also have a separate problem with the cops assuming we're prostitutes. I've had some enlightening conversations with trans women who have similar experiences regardless of race.

Model minority pressure. Chris Rock said some things on Twitter a while back about how when he goes to the studios he sees some young black women, but very few black men. There's an achievement gap between black men and women that's got a variety of factors - the catastrophically high incarceration rate for black men, toxic masculinity mixing with internalized racism to create a mistrust of/devaluing of higher education, and the way sexism intertwines with racism means black women aren't seen as quite as threatening to have in an office environment. The image of black men as violent thugs is ingrained so deep racist people assume even the most professional, placid black man is secretly dangerous, while black women at least have a chance of dispelling their stereotype of being loud and slutty as long as they bend over backwards to be the opposite. If you can smile and stay as silent as possible you can snag yourself prime placement in that corporate diversity brochure no problem.

Skin, hair - people have talked about colorism really well already, but I'm happy to join in if you have questions. Hair is an incredibly loaded topic for black people, especially black women, because not only are we expected to make our hair look as much like a white person's as possible if we want to be "professional," which is expensive, damaging, and sometimes physically painful, we also get shamed from inside the community (and woke white assholes) for not being "natural" enough, but if you go "natural" white people interpret that as making a political statement. Now that "Black Twitter" has become a thing there's also the fun of white boys repeating misogynist jokes they saw black men make about black women's beauty trends, "we goin' swimming on the first date" poo poo, etc.

And bodies... look up Saartjie Baartman sometime and be depressed. Anything a black woman's body does that a white woman's doesn't is a hideous deformity... until it's trendy. Watching big asses go from a thing white boys bullied black girls for to a thing white boys assume black girls put on just to get their attention is a weird, weird thing.
Black women are seen as hypersexual, but also too masculine. If you're dark-skinned or short-haired or broad-nosed you'll get to hear how you're just objectively ugly, no accounting for taste, it's unreasonable to expect anyone to be attracted to you. But within black culture you're also not supposed to have body issues. Things like eating disorders (most mental illness, tbh) are "white nonsense."

There's also just the sea of subcultures and generational conflicts - immigrant vs. slave-descended, southern vs. northern, urban vs. rural, secular vs. baptist vs. muslim, HBCU or not, activist or not, interracial dating or not, god help you if you're queer or trans. Are you black enough? Are you the wrong kind of black? Is your blackness fake? Is your blackness holding you back? If you're the only black person in the room are you a pioneer or a token?

This is an amazing post. Thank you for this.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Koalas March posted:

Yeah. Like I never watched Breaking Bad for reasons that would take awhile to explain probably, and white men always act like I'm a nutcase. Maybe it's because I'm in film and getting into TV idk. Which is why I follow fandoms and news about shows I like. I am not a weird tumblrite or anything but as someone who wants to be a show runner following fans is really interesting to me.

Do you read the stuff Javier Grillo-Marxuach puts out? His rules for showrunners is loving fantastic.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

You'd think Republicans would want them redacted, because then they could tell supporters all their worst fears are the parts that w[redacted].

You're over estimating their intelligence.

They know Hillary is guilty and once these emails come out they will prove it. They just know it in their heart of hearts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Good thing Trump's a moron who can't go a week without some idiotic thing coming from his campaign or mouth.

Also no one really gives a gently caress about emails.

I mean, plenty of people do, but those people already turned on her over the original Indictment announcement drama.

It's sort of a done issue.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's actually kind of comforting to me that they're still going after this email stuff. You'd think they'd move on to something more productive if they had anything better. That's even knowing the obvious, that a lot of the anti-hillary stuff is more about sounding angry and shouting something that can be easily repeated than anything concrete.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Radish posted:

I too it as "it's great that because of JLo and Beyoncé women are now comfortable with their big asses and thick thighs!!! Nah, just kidding, most of us are still insecure as hell because our bodies aren't anything like theirs and never will be."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GalacticAcid posted:

What reforms will the GOP make to put more power into top donor / establishment hands after the inevitable November rout? I just can't imagine them leaving the possibility of Another Trump for next cycle.

Would be funny if they went with a Super Delegate like system to prevent any future Trumpsters, since that is what a few of the disgruntled Bernie bros want gone from the Dems process.

• Locked thread