Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I dont know posted:

The AI cheats, it only takes a tiny fraction of whatever attrition it should take (something like 20%) and get huge free order bonuses so it will basically never have rebellions. So hypothetically causing corruption is useful, but the two main effects are basically meaning less except to the player.

Is there a mod or certain difficulty level that removes/changes this, because it really harshes my VC buzz to not be able to properly undermine my neighbours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is there a mod or certain difficulty level that removes/changes this, because it really harshes my VC buzz to not be able to properly undermine my neighbours.

I use the "no AI public order cheats" mod and would definitely recommend it. The AI already gets so much free resources on higher difficulties. Let them spend it on order buildings and quelling rebellions like I have to. It's lame that public order is a player-only penalty and it makes corruption a lot more fun to spread.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, I have a mod installed for the attrition thing but the AI cannot deal with it so it lessens the challenge significantly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Full list of the Empire's Regiments

I'm curious to see whether they'll be differentiated from normal units in ways that aren't just better stats,

Gitro
May 29, 2013

genghispawn posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with the Beastmen. I really like how the horde mechanic takes a lot of the economy planning out of the game and lets you really just raise heck.

That said, are Gors even really worth it? You run negative income a lot, and I'm trying to save every penny.

I'm also not sure how raiding works under the hood. Is it advisable to get a third horde that consists only of a lord going just to get raid income? Does the number of units in the army affect raid income at all?

Gors are solid enough but I wouldn't bother with them over another unit of minotaurs if you're still concerned about money. They're better than ungors for holding a line while your ambushers do work, but you can do without fairly easily in my experience (hard and VH/H).

Raiding is at least somewhat based on number of units. I have no idea what else influences it (+income skills aside) or if type of unit comes into play. It's probably not worth having a solo lord to raid. IIRC my second horde generated about 80/turn in Khazrak's starting province on turn 1. You'd need about 3x that just to pay the lord's upkeep, you generate no raid income while sieging the province and the lord himself would be quite vulnerable. It'd depend on the wealth of the province, but I don't imagine you'd make it. You can always just save/reload to see :shrug:

Getting even one level of the -upkeep building is huge, it's generally what I've built in the fourth or fifth slot in each horde. You can run income positive without raiding if you have one or two hordes and max it out for both of them. Beastmen get nuts growth and it's pretty easy to swallow the -5 penalty, especially once you've got your main recruitment buildings set up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I always keep Slayers as a second line unit. Let another group absorb a charge, then Slayers come in. I also use them to chase down cavalry, since they're unbreakable and move relatively fast.

Since there's nothing like a general thread (which I've been tempted to make), what's the opinion on Empire: Total War? Before Rome II, I know it was the most hated TW game, but the more I hear, the more Empire has a cult following among the community, and I have an affinity for the other musket games in the series.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 23, 2016

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Plan Z posted:

I always keep Slayers as a second line unit. Let another group absorb a charge, then Slayers come in. I also use them to chase down cavalry, since they're unbreakable and move relatively fast.

Since there's nothing like a general thread (which I've been tempted to make), what's the opinion on Empire: Total War? Before Rome II, I know it was the most hated TW game, but the more I hear, the more Empire has a cult following among the community, and I have an affinity for the other musket games in the series.

There's a TW series thread if that's what you mean:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490183

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Oh thanks. I swear I did a ctrl+F for like eight pages but didn't find it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Gitro posted:

Gors are solid enough but I wouldn't bother with them over another unit of minotaurs if you're still concerned about money. They're better than ungors for holding a line while your ambushers do work, but you can do without fairly easily in my experience (hard and VH/H).

Raiding is at least somewhat based on number of units. I have no idea what else influences it (+income skills aside) or if type of unit comes into play. It's probably not worth having a solo lord to raid. IIRC my second horde generated about 80/turn in Khazrak's starting province on turn 1. You'd need about 3x that just to pay the lord's upkeep, you generate no raid income while sieging the province and the lord himself would be quite vulnerable. It'd depend on the wealth of the province, but I don't imagine you'd make it. You can always just save/reload to see :shrug:

Getting even one level of the -upkeep building is huge, it's generally what I've built in the fourth or fifth slot in each horde. You can run income positive without raiding if you have one or two hordes and max it out for both of them. Beastmen get nuts growth and it's pretty easy to swallow the -5 penalty, especially once you've got your main recruitment buildings set up.

I just started my "No Auto-Resolve" Beastman VH campaign since my Greenskin finish was all auto-resolve.

I've noticed spearmen are pretty good bang for buck with high leadership, 120 units and comparable stats to all the rest of the ungors. The major difference? No vanguard placement.

I'm starting to feel like you'll need half your army (if you aren't power housing it) to vanguard crash from the sides/behind.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Battles were different in Empire compared to the rest of the series as well as having the best naval warfare in the series.
While TW:W is great for many reasons, the easy form of winning a battle is still the same as as in Shogun.
Ie solid center and envelop with cavalry/flyers whatever. Well, except Dwarfs who just have a solid center and a lot of guns.
The difference in play style between the races is so far less compared to Rome2/Medieval 2

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I didn't play much of empire, I really did not enjoy it. It ran badly, and it really just wasn't fun in general. Napoleon was quite nice though.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
How deep can handgunner ranks be before the guys at the back stop firing?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thanqol posted:

How deep can handgunner ranks be before the guys at the back stop firing?

As long as the unit as a whole has the enemy in its firing arc and the soldier in question has direct line of sight to the target, they can shoot. They abstracted a lot of mechanics for TWW, and I can dig it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gonkish posted:

Beastmen are worth it for plenty of reasons, but this is the one right at the top: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

Knew exactly what this was before I clicked it

Watched it anyway

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

As long as the unit as a whole has the enemy in its firing arc and the soldier in question has direct line of sight to the target, they can shoot. They abstracted a lot of mechanics for TWW, and I can dig it.

I miss drawing up battle lines and firing by rank......

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

genericnick posted:

I miss drawing up battle lines and firing by rank......

I'm willing to bet that CA will be emboldened enough one day to have another crack at Empire. We can have our battle lines and roaring gunfire then. But I definitely don't want to mess around with fire-by-rank and lining everything up perfectly in a game where melee closes in very quickly like TWW; it's just too finicky.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

toasterwarrior posted:

Huh. really? When I put my cannons into a 2-front, 1 back formation, I noticed the back cannon not firing.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Fangz posted:

Huh. really? When I put my cannons into a 2-front, 1 back formation, I noticed the back cannon not firing.

Uh, I think that's for within the unit, as in, a unit can't shoot itself, but it can friendly fire on other units, and will actively try not to, leading to less shots. If your cannon situation is somehow one unit, I would guess that it works differently for artillery.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I just started my "No Auto-Resolve" Beastman VH campaign since my Greenskin finish was all auto-resolve.

I've noticed spearmen are pretty good bang for buck with high leadership, 120 units and comparable stats to all the rest of the ungors. The major difference? No vanguard placement.

I'm starting to feel like you'll need half your army (if you aren't power housing it) to vanguard crash from the sides/behind.

Spears also lack stalk and the shield, have lower damage, slightly lower melee stats and 5 less LD. They're about half the upkeep of a standard herd but I'm not sure that it's a big enough consideration for lacking everything else. The only thing they really have going for them is the anti large and I usually keep a couple units around for that. I don't really know what else beastmen get anti-large from, actually.

I usually just use raiders for vanguard stuff, it generally turns out well unless the enemy is pretty cav heavy. Sometimes I throw in a few herds for support, but that tends to start stretching my line pretty thing.

Beastmen can get a follower that gives the attached hero/lord poison attacks (also a banner for the same). I now have a poison gorebull. It feels extremely gratuitous.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Stephen9001 posted:

Uh, I think that's for within the unit, as in, a unit can't shoot itself, but it can friendly fire on other units, and will actively try not to, leading to less shots. If your cannon situation is somehow one unit, I would guess that it works differently for artillery.

Yeah, this is with one unit. I was thinking that I could compress the cannon line to fit in more firepower in a frontage, but it didn't work.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Bretonnia took the Age of Peace message a little too seriously in my current Empire campaign, declaring war on Estalia the very next turn after we curbstomped Archaeon.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Fangz posted:

I've definitely noticed 2x2 cannon squares being able to fire normally so a 2-front, 1-back unit should be able to fire as well. Mind you, artillery movement and firing lines are probably the jankiest parts of this game's combat engine...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

dogstile posted:

Knew exactly what this was before I clicked it

Watched it anyway

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I want navies in the game just so I can shut out these Norscan fucks from sailing into the Reik and landing in the Wasteland by locking down the Middle Sea with a fleet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Full list of the Empire's Regiments

I'm curious to see whether they'll be differentiated from normal units in ways that aren't just better stats,

From the more detailed description two weeks ago, it sounds like they all get at least one special ability the original unit didn't have, like the Demigryphs having the inflict terror ability, or the golden cannon crew having...physical resistance, I think?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oh hey, that's a thing. Thanks

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm kinda bummed that the regiments of renown aren't the old crazy unique mercenaries instead. Just recolours is kinda lame, especially not giving them to all factions if they're that simple but I think I've been spoiled by the hundreds of crazy looking new units and things you can download through the workshop.

Still gonna buy every peice of DLC for this loving game and its great but its interesting how modding affects my perception of DLC like "oh wow, knights of the blazing sun, i've been playing with them and all the other knightly orders in several different overhauls at this point".

I mean Radious has added 158 units at this point even if I don't play that mod due to the overwhelming army bloat :lol:

Beastmen DLC was very good though.

e: also radious adds a goblin heavy infantry unit called "gob-nobz"...

e2: looking through the rosters Radious has some cool additions to Brets, Norse and Kislev that I'd like to play with, my main issue with the mod is it makes all the enemy armies loving dire to play against because no factions have any weaknesses anymore and things like dwarf ranged units become unstoppable badass thunderer ironbreakers

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

nopantsjack posted:

I'm kinda bummed that the regiments of renown aren't the old crazy unique mercenaries instead. Just recolours is kinda lame, especially not giving them to all factions if they're that simple but I think I've been spoiled by the hundreds of crazy looking new units and things you can download through the workshop.

Still gonna buy every peice of DLC for this loving game and its great but its interesting how modding affects my perception of DLC like "oh wow, knights of the blazing sun, i've been playing with them and all the other knightly orders in several different overhauls at this point".

I mean Radious has added 158 units at this point even if I don't play that mod due to the overwhelming army bloat :lol:

Beastmen DLC was very good though.

e: also radious adds a goblin heavy infantry unit called "gob-nobz"...

e2: looking through the rosters Radious has some cool additions to Brets, Norse and Kislev that I'd like to play with, my main issue with the mod is it makes all the enemy armies loving dire to play against because no factions have any weaknesses anymore and things like dwarf ranged units become unstoppable badass thunderer ironbreakers

Radious skull fucks the lore though, so gently caress it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think Regiments of Renown aren't intended to be the mercenary equivalents for TWW; after all, they're faction unique. Hopefully CA has real plans for how to get Dogs of War into the game, which may also help flesh out Tilea since that's their thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Every mod Radious makes is "EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO EVERYTHING" which is really boring and against the spirit of the game.

Not worth it IMHO

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I don't really use mods to play this game since it seems well-designed overall, so my only real complaint is bugs. Then again, I tend to play like one grand campaign and then call it quits for a few weeks until the next DLC comes and refreshes things again. (I only got into multiplayer because they failed to fix the reinforcements bug in patch 2)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Vlad confirmed...somewhere, I guess.

quote:

As part of Total War: WARHAMMER’s ongoing free content program, an update released alongside The Grim and The Grave will introduce a number of unique new battle maps and Vlad von Carstein as a free legendary lord for all players. The first – and arguably greatest – of the Vampire Counts is a nigh-unrivalled practitioner of the Lore of Vampires, granting Vanguard Deployment to all units under his command, whose thirst for the throne of the Empire rivals even that of Mannfred himself.

That's a really powerful and seemingly random army bonus for Vlad, honestly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Would Vlad replace Mannfred if you pick him at the start? Because I am not sure those two would be on the same side.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
No idea, it would be neat if Vlad had his own start position but I don't really see that happening.

Also thinking about it, I'm surprisingly annoyed that VCs went from having a Von Carstein and a human Necromancer, to....another Von Carstein and another human Necromancer.

At least the Strigoi Ghoul Kings are super cool looking, I guess.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

madmac posted:

No idea, it would be neat if Vlad had his own start position but I don't really see that happening.

Also thinking about it, I'm surprisingly annoyed that VCs went from having a Von Carstein and a human Necromancer, to....another Von Carstein and another human Necromancer.

At least the Strigoi Ghoul Kings are super cool looking, I guess.

There's nothing saying they can't add more LLs.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madmac posted:

Vlad confirmed...somewhere, I guess.

That's a really powerful and seemingly random army bonus for Vlad, honestly.

Vlad and 19 vanguard Terrorgheists. Seems cool I guess.

edit: I installed Radious mod because I was curious, then I saw skeleton archers and I uninstalled it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, every unit gets vanguard? That can't be real.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesus, every unit gets vanguard? That can't be real.

Desensitize yourself and face to imba.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZearothK posted:

Would Vlad replace Mannfred if you pick him at the start? Because I am not sure those two would be on the same side.

Why not? Mannfred was Vlad's most favored son, even though Mannfred went full Starscream and arranged for the theft of Vlad's ring, indirectly causing his untimely death at the hands of the Battle Pope.

Lore-wise, the only wrong part is that Vlad has been dead for three-hundred years at this point, and usually that would make me wanna sperg, but the world has been destroyed by GW, and in the End Times, Nagash ressurrected pretty much every named undead character ever, so I'm cool with it, CA please go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I hate that VC seem to be getting the most updates of amy faction because they're the most boring to play. I like ranged units and artillery.

• Locked thread