Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

And offering a substantial discount to get a game on the next console up is a pretty cool loyalty feature. Especially given that you can boot into Wii Mode to play without upgrading.

Nintendo doesn't have to be the last company on the planet that allows you to use software you paid for on different platforms without an extra charge. There's still time. They can still beat uh... Sony. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Spellman posted:

Nintendo doesn't have to be the last company on the planet that allows you to use software you paid for on different platforms without an extra charge. There's still time. They can still beat uh... Sony. Maybe.

You can use your PSOne Classics on PS3/PS Vita/PSP already. :confused:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BGrifter posted:

You can use your PSOne Classics on PS3/PS Vita/PSP already. :confused:

Oh.. ..... ... this is awkward..

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah but they're making you rebuy your PS2 Classics again on PS4 so it's not like they're averse to the same bullshit.

PSX games aren't even available on PS4 and I suspect you'll have to buy those again if they ever decide to bring them over, too.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea I only did a really quick search so that's all I knew about. What I was referring to was platforms like Android phones & tablets, Apple products, Windows, and Steam, which all have their own account systems and your software can run on a range of different devices, simultaneously, for free, forever. Nintendo's account system would actually be really attractive with that level of freedom.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

Yea I only did a really quick search so that's all I knew about. What I was referring to was platforms like Android phones & tablets, Apple products, Windows, and Steam, which all have their own account systems and your software can run on a range of different devices, simultaneously, for free, forever. Nintendo's account system would actually be really attractive with that level of freedom.

If I recall correctly, Apple's Mac OS and iOS app stores do not have any kind of cross buy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also, android and ios apps go defunct all the time.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Manky posted:

If I recall correctly, Apple's Mac OS and iOS app stores do not have any kind of cross buy.

This is true. But you can run your iPhone apps on your iPad and your iMac software on your Macbook (and any future iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers respectively.) Your iTunes content typically crosses over all Apple OSs.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also, android and ios apps go defunct all the time.

I still got Flappy Bird.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That's amazing if it's gonna disappear that quickly. The 3DS has been out for what, 5 years? I wouldn't expect people to camp out in front of Target for one.

It will, but mostly due to scalping, and only somewhat due to a combination of fan interest and chronic undersupplying from Nintendo.

Somewhat on topic, I only camped (well, went 3-4 hours before opening) for something once, and it was the Majora's Mask N3DS XL. I live in a town that errs on the side of rural, and there were still over a dozen people camped out in front of Target by the time I got there! I also did not get one; thanks Nintendo.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If I never hear "you are the oceans grey waves" again in my life....

Only on level 7, but man...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is there a thread for Zero Time Dilemmna?

I'm stuck in a fragment, at the door of truth after the locker room puzzle. I don't know the code but I also can't go to other teams/fragments, Is there any way to go back/find the code where I am?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kurtofan posted:

I'm stuck in a fragment, at the door of truth after the locker room puzzle. I don't know the code but I also can't go to other teams/fragments, Is there any way to go back/find the code where I am?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768698

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure if you input the wrong code/don't do anything you'll fail it and things will carry on and you can go back to the fragment select

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Yes there is, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768698

Did you go through all four of the different execution vote results (represented by the thumbs-up and skull icons on the big flowchart)? Cause that's what I missed and was stumped for a while. If this is the case, you may not have seen the hints for the door code yet.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sakurazuka posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768698

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure if you input the wrong code/don't do anything you'll fail it and things will carry on and you can go back to the fragment select

Yeah but I can only choose the D Team and two fragments, the transporter one and the locker room one.

Zat posted:

Yes there is, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781767

Did you go through all four of the different execution vote results (represented by the thumbs-up and skull icons on the big flowchart)? Cause that's what I missed and was stumped for a while. If this is the case, you may not have seen the hints for the door code yet.

Nope I got the thumbs up only, but I can't go back to that point, I'm stuck with those two fragments.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BadAstronaut posted:

If I never hear "you are the oceans grey waves" again in my life....

Only on level 7, but man...

I beat the game and I still have no loving clue what that song meant.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah but I can only choose the D Team and two fragments, the transporter one and the locker room one.

Nope I got the thumbs up only, but I can't go back to that point, I'm stuck with those two fragments.

I used this guide. Some fragments can only be unlocked with a specific decision chain.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Never mind, I didn't realize I could still advance in the Transporter fragment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan is getting an RPG Maker game for 3DS! The rest of the world probably isn't! http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/23112932.html

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Turtlicious posted:

I beat the game and I still have no loving clue what that song meant.

it's about Anankos, that's about it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I wouldn't have minded hearing that song so many times if it didn't suck rear end

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bought a used 3ds xl to help me on my long commute while I wait for my new apartment. I'm really amazed by the thing. I picked up Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time (should have sprung for Majora's but this was on sale) and Yo-Kai Watch.

I wanted to get a Pokemon but even the older titles are still $40 and with a new game coming out soon I'll just wait. The battery life is poo poo but I just charge it at work every day. I'm totally in love with the AR cards and was really blown away by the mini-games, even if they are a tech demo.

I'm a bit dismayed by the game selection, I'm not super into Jrpgs but I kind of knew that going in. I was hoping for more VC titles, something closer to what the Wii had. I want all the dope arcade games that were ported to the SNES but I guess that being close to 25 years ago would be a licensing nightmare. That said, Streets of Rage 3D looks awesome. A ton of the 16bit games look really rad in 3D.

Yo-Kai Watch is actually quite charming, the battles took time to get used to but it's a fun game that makes me chuckle. I did the very mature thing and named my character Poodaddy.

I want to get Animal Crossing but the price of the 3ds titles is pretty steep, even used they are only like $3 less than retail. If more games were $20-$30 I'd bite.

Thanks for reading, make sure to like and subscribe.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

The battery life is much better if you turn off the wireless communication when you're not actively using it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah but then I won't get presents in Super Mario.

But yeah I leave it off as soon as I get on my train. It is funny though, even as a 28 year old man I get oddly excited when I meet a new Mii. There's someone in my office building that takes the same train as me and we've been relaying messages back and forth through our Mii-gates or whatever they are called.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Where is a good place to get the new 3DS faceplates in NA? Just try my luck on amazon/eBay? The ones that come with the Mario bundle look hideous, unless it comes with a third, totally blank option.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Slightly Toasted posted:

The battery life is much better if you turn off the wireless communication when you're not actively using it.

Please ignore this post and turn on street pass for all your games. This is the real reason why the USA has a very low incident of street-passes.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Beastie posted:

I bought a used 3ds xl to help me on my long commute while I wait for my new apartment. I'm really amazed by the thing. I picked up Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time (should have sprung for Majora's but this was on sale) and Yo-Kai Watch.

I wanted to get a Pokemon but even the older titles are still $40 and with a new game coming out soon I'll just wait. The battery life is poo poo but I just charge it at work every day. I'm totally in love with the AR cards and was really blown away by the mini-games, even if they are a tech demo.

I'm a bit dismayed by the game selection, I'm not super into Jrpgs but I kind of knew that going in. I was hoping for more VC titles, something closer to what the Wii had. I want all the dope arcade games that were ported to the SNES but I guess that being close to 25 years ago would be a licensing nightmare. That said, Streets of Rage 3D looks awesome. A ton of the 16bit games look really rad in 3D.

Yo-Kai Watch is actually quite charming, the battles took time to get used to but it's a fun game that makes me chuckle. I did the very mature thing and named my character Poodaddy.

I want to get Animal Crossing but the price of the 3ds titles is pretty steep, even used they are only like $3 less than retail. If more games were $20-$30 I'd bite.

Thanks for reading, make sure to like and subscribe.
If you're in the US then Animal Crossing (along with Luigis Mansion, Nintendogs, Tomadochi Life and Lego City Undercover) will drop to $20 permanently on Friday. Enjoy!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Where is a good place to get the new 3DS faceplates in NA? Just try my luck on amazon/eBay? The ones that come with the Mario bundle look hideous, unless it comes with a third, totally blank option.

Yea, look up Cover Plates/Kisekae Plates on eBay and you should be able to get any plate that has been released in Japan. There's a couple on the North American Nintendo store as well.

The bundles don't come with blank faceplates and it's very hard to get them in white.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And I don't know if you're going digital or physical, but Animal Crossing absolutely benefits by going digital.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Federation Force made me realize there's a surprising lack of first- and third person shooters for the 3DS. On the DS generation it seemed there was at least a couple of FPS's churned out every year by either Renegade Kid or N-Space (Dementiums, Goldeneye, Call of Duty ports, Moon etc.) but apart from Moon Chronicles and afromentioned FForce I can't remember a single shooter on 3DS (first person or otherwise). Not that I particularly miss them but the sudden stop seems strange somehow.

Did that Gears of War -like cover shooter tech demo from a couple years back ever make it into a full game?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Fritzler posted:

If you're in the US then Animal Crossing (along with Luigis Mansion, Nintendogs, Tomadochi Life and Lego City Undercover) will drop to $20 permanently on Friday. Enjoy!

Oh snap? Really seals the deal on this, unless it's the one that is not New Leaf.

Detective No. 27 posted:

And I don't know if you're going digital or physical, but Animal Crossing absolutely benefits by going digital.

In which way? I always figured I'd buy the carts and if I ever get bored give them all to my niece. She just had surgery so I went and got her Mario and Luigi Paper Jam.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Beastie posted:

Oh snap? Really seals the deal on this, unless it's the one that is not New Leaf.
It is New Leaf! Also there is an update coming out this fall, so hopefully we have lots more people playing again.

My family has been looking forward to this price drop haha, my sister really wants nintendogs but couldn't justify $40 (even what it seemed to go for on reselling), and I'm excited to check out Luigis Mansion.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beastie posted:

In which way? I always figured I'd buy the carts and if I ever get bored give them all to my niece. She just had surgery so I went and got her Mario and Luigi Paper Jam.
Yeah, New Leaf is the one dropping to $20.

Animal Crossing is the kinda game you play the poo poo out of for the first month or so when you get it, but then you settle in a little routine of checking it every day and doing a few tasks after a while. It's just more convenient to have digitally. I say this as someone with over a hundred physical 3DS games. It's less of a game and more something you chill out with. No real goals or anything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Beastie posted:

It's because Animal Crossing is one of those games you play a little bit of each day, over a loooooong time. It's easier to keep up with if you don't have to swap out carts every time you want to check on your town. Or at least it is for me. You might feel differently about having to carry different carts with your or swapping them. It's also the perfect game to play on a commute, so you definitely have the right idea!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I played New Leaf in apparently 180, 30 minute to one hour sessions over a year

that's a pretty drat good shelf life and I don't even have any friends with the game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My girlfriend is trying to get 100% catalogue for whatever reason. She's at around 94% currently. She hasn't stopped playing it since she got a free copy since Club Nintendo shut down.

Probably would have completed it a while ago if her SD card didn't get corrupted and wiped her village when she downloaded a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate update.
:negative:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Well, as far as product recommendations go Goons have never steered me wrong. I'll get it on download. I went out and bought a 16gb card when I picked up my 3ds.

Actually, at first I bought a normal 3ds from GS but when I was tooling around town the next day I saw the local games store had an XL for $40 cheaper. It had a bit of a scratch on the side of the 3d screen (I guess some have faulty bezzles?) but I only notice it on a pure white screen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Detective No. 27 posted:

My girlfriend is trying to get 100% catalogue for whatever reason. She's at around 94% currently. She hasn't stopped playing it since she got a free copy since Club Nintendo shut down.

Probably would have completed it a while ago if her SD card didn't get corrupted and wiped her village when she downloaded a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate update.
:negative:

Ouch. I was down to missing less than 10 items from the catalog- minus stationery which I didn't bother cataloguing but I probably had most of that anyway by the time I quit the game. I played it for a solid 2 years or so.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I called up both Walmart and Target in town to see if they're getting the 3D Land special edition New 3DS bundle on Friday. Walmart told me if it existed I'd see it online and that they don't have any place in their display to put any new system bundles on Friday (which I guess means they're not getting it?) while Target said they wouldn't know anything about it until Friday and since it wasn't in their system I couldn't reserve one or anything. The online pre-orders are still sold out on Target's website.

I guess I'm just going to try to swing by Target at 8:00 AM on Friday and see if I can snag one. All I can do is hope.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I called up both Walmart and Target in town to see if they're getting the 3D Land special edition New 3DS bundle on Friday. Walmart told me if it existed I'd see it online and that they don't have any place in their display to put any new system bundles on Friday (which I guess means they're not getting it?) while Target said they wouldn't know anything about it until Friday and since it wasn't in their system I couldn't reserve one or anything. The online pre-orders are still sold out on Target's website.

I guess I'm just going to try to swing by Target at 8:00 AM on Friday and see if I can snag one. All I can do is hope.

I looked it up on the Nintendo website. It says only Target is getting them. I am going to follow someone's advice from here and call late at night on Thursday and ask if they are in stock for the next day. Will also be hitting up Target early in the morning. Target's customer service is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
How fast did the previous New Regular Special Edition 3DSs sell out? I thought the AC one was around for a bit before it dried up.