Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Smash 4 ryu is way more fun than sf5 ryu because you feel really powerful if you play him well

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
People just spam buttons as Karen and win. This game is trash

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Everytime I play this game online it is just Ken and Ryu spamming poo poo.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Golem II posted:

Golem II posted:

Which is it??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Golem II posted:

Where's that 30 minute long Rising Thunder video with someone bitching about fireball characters?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I'm only having fun playing balrog

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Golem II posted:

Actually Karin owns???

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega Comrade posted:

Of all the various theories I think this one holds least water. I'm not completely sold on the "better connection gets more role back" one either but it at least has some logic behind it. How on earth a more powerful system could lead to lag makes zero sense, more so with this game being frame locked.

I've seen this kind of thing happen with a friend of mine when playing SG/GG, but it's not quite the way you guys were talking about. My PC can run those games fine, but my friend tried to play me and some of her friends on her computer that had a very old processor that doesn't run the game properly. She gets some errors/lag on her when she plays (she says it runs fine for her, but it clearly doesn't), but when she plays someone else they get vicious rollbacks/lag/issues, a lot more things happen than what she gets on her end.

I dunno any empirical way to test how this all works so it's just an anecdote, but I figure it's something more along the lines of "shittier pcs not only don't run the game as well, but can end up giving loads of networking errors to the higher end pc user opponents" rather than running the game better forcing sync issues (though that could be true as well if the game had some really lovely synching problems).

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ventana posted:

I dunno any empirical way to test how this all works so it's just an anecdote, but I figure it's something more along the lines of "shittier pcs not only don't run the game as well, but can end up giving loads of networking errors to the higher end pc user opponents" rather than running the game better forcing sync issues (though that could be true as well if the game had some really lovely synching problems).

The better-connection-worse-lag thing MikeZ wrote about is real and its easier to test if you can set up really lovely connections on identical hardware. It's actually a common problem with Smash WiiU, on a console where you have to buy a USB ethernet adapter not everyone knows exists so many people play on wifi in addition to whatever problems their router has. It makes more sense if you think of it less as "my machine is powerful, it shouldn't lag" and more as "my machine is feeding my opponet's client a steady stream of data but it's being starved for updates itself".

In our games we don't get rollback, things will pause and stutter or end up with lots of input lag waiting to get responses to your button presses. You can tell when your opponent is responsive to your attacks and clearly not also lagging, and when you ask them they will say they don't notice lag and also that they didn't know about the ethernet adapter being a thing. It idoesn't really matter how good your setup is if the opponent isn't able to send you enough data to keep your game up to speed, even if you're keeping the other guy's client well-informed.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Golem II posted:

Golem II posted:

If every low/mid level player shaped the game based on how moves make them feel you'd end up with nearly infinite possibilities of terribly designed games.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Golem II posted:

if everytime you play you get beat by people mindlessly pressing buttons just stop or try harder

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just hit jab a lot

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

apple posted:

If every low/mid level player shaped the game based on how moves make them feel you'd end up with nearly infinite possibilities of terribly designed games.

crowdsource the movelists

i almost want to see a game of every genre ending up being a compilation of what every person who pays 60 dollars votes for.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
while i dont recommend you buy the game if you were gonna anyway you can pay basically nothing for a coupon to get sfv for 45% off the ps store, i guess

https://www.humblebundle.com/capcom-playstation-bundle

theres some other actually good games in there too.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

anime was right posted:

while i dont recommend you buy the game if you were gonna anyway you can pay basically nothing for a coupon to get sfv for 45% off the ps store, i guess

https://www.humblebundle.com/capcom-playstation-bundle

theres some other actually good games in there too.

Is there any way to get the DLC at the discounted price, too, or is this coupon only good for the base game?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
gently caress if i know, just figured id save some poor soul a few dollars on their impending disappointment

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/eventhubs/status/768203575205859328

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

quote:

In speaking to Vicious afterwards we found that he submitted a ticket to Capcom and they restored his account in less than an hour's time. This implies to us that Capcom did not intend for the rage quit punishment system to work like this, and will likely right it in the near future.

John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero, master of deduction

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Penalize them all and let God sort them out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ROFL

Capcom.txt

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Unlike SOME people I always fight the CPU with honor in training mode

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
For the people not whining about this horrible mess of a game:

I decided to start making flash cards to learn basic frame data. So far I've made Balrog's moves (since he's the my main currently):

https://quizlet.com/147076073/balrog-flash-cards/

Let me know if this will be useful to anyone, I'll keep making it for more characters. It took awhile to find a flashcard site that would animate gifs. Sadly the app version of this website doesn't animate them, so I made sure to make the first frame of animation an identifiable one if you use it on the app (though if you go onto the site using a phone browser it loads them just fine).

If anyone has better ideas as to how to format the cards let me know. I thought about getting the hitboxes to show, and including them on the opposite side of the card along with the block frame number. That way you can see that all of Balrog's specials have a hurtbox in front of the hitbox, and non-obvious things like that.

Also thinking about how to format a card to help you learn how to get out of frame traps. It would need to include a character's startup frame data vs the opponent's frame trap attack chains.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 24, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the Gaffe posted:

I decided to start making flash cards to learn basic frame data. So far I've made Balrog's moves (since he's the my main currently):

Let me know if this will be useful to anyone, I'll keep making it for more characters. It took awhile to find a flashcard site that would animate gifs. Sadly the app version of this website doesn't animate them, so I made sure to make the first frame of animation an identifiable one if you use it on the app (though if you go onto the site using a phone browser it loads them just fine).

If anyone has better ideas as to how to format the cards let me know. I thought about getting the hitboxes to show, and including them on the opposite side of the card along with the block frame number. That way you can see that all of Balrog's specials have a hurtbox in front of the hitbox, and non-obvious things like that.

Also thinking about how to format a card to help you learn how to get out of frame traps. It would need to include a character's startup frame data vs the opponent's frame trap attack chains.
these are greatly appreciated, keep up the good work.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Those flash cards are cool, thanks.

Also I actually like SFV and think its fun and am probably going to take a break from it outside of lobbies with people I know because the lag feels so much worse the past few weeks than it was before. I don't know if it just my perception or something new is going on in the background, but I can only take so much random hitching in the middle of some crush combo I need to hit to win a match before it becomes extremely unfun.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I might look in a year from now. There's a vague possibility that it'll turn out decent by then.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

the Gaffe posted:

I decided to start making flash cards to learn basic frame data.

Thanks!

It is useful, much appreciated.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

the Gaffe posted:

KKB K shows -8 OH. I'm assuming that OH means On Hit, but the graphic shows Ryu blocking. Am I reading that wrong?

or wait, does that mean Overhead?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

OK yeah that's some pretty shoddy testing.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

so if i am lookin at frame data what am i looking for in this game for a move to be safe? more than -2 on block? specifically i want to know what are the best normals to use in a blockstring and during footsies.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Hell Yeah posted:

so if i am lookin at frame data what am i looking for in this game for a move to be safe? more than -2 on block? specifically i want to know what are the best normals to use in a blockstring and during footsies.

-2 is safe against everything except Gief super. -3 is safe against a few characters who don't have 3f moves.

In footsies block advantage isn't nearly as big of a deal since presumably if they block one of your normals they're far enough away that their 3 or 4 frame moves won't reach. Even poo poo like Karin's -14 sweep is safe from max range in a lot of situations.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

A.o.D. posted:

KKB K shows -8 OH. I'm assuming that OH means On Hit, but the graphic shows Ryu blocking. Am I reading that wrong?

or wait, does that mean Overhead?

Yeah it's overhead

Hell Yeah posted:

In a blockstring it's super situational, you can try throwing out jabs but if you don't know the frame data well enough you might throw out the jab during an attack where the opponent is safe on block (a proper frame trap). If you're in that situation then you have to watch how the opponent continues his/her advance. Since each blocked attack pushes the opponent further away, in order for them to continue to keep pressure they have to move in at some point. This can be a walk, dash, jump, special, etc. Most of these options leave them open to an attack. You can also try using your V-Reversal to get out of tough situations.

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 24, 2016

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

-2 is safe against everything except Gief super. -3 is safe against a few characters who don't have 3f moves.

In footsies block advantage isn't nearly as big of a deal since presumably if they block one of your normals they're far enough away that their 3 or 4 frame moves won't reach. Even poo poo like Karin's -14 sweep is safe from max range in a lot of situations.

thanks i understand every part of this reply. also i have watched your videos and incorporate a lot of your stuff into my practice,.

the Gaffe posted:

Yeah it's overhead

In a blockstring it's super situational, you can try throwing out jabs but if you don't know the frame data well enough you might throw out the jab during an attack where the opponent is safe on block (a proper frame trap).

am i whiffing my jab and getting counterhit in this scenario?

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Hell Yeah posted:

am i whiffing my jab and getting counterhit in this scenario?
Yeah you get counterhit, whiffing generally means your attack just doesn't connect. If you want to be specific what is happening is your jab has 3-4 startup frames before it has a hitbox, and the opponent's attack already had its hitbox out and in range of your hurtbox. In some cases actually pressing an attack can make it easier for them to hit you since your hurtbox changes during an attack.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the Gaffe posted:

Yeah you get counterhit, whiffing generally means your attack just doesn't connect. If you want to be specific what is happening is your jab has 3-4 startup frames before it has a hitbox, and the opponent's attack already had its hitbox out and in range of your hurtbox. In some cases actually pressing an attack can make it easier for them to hit you since your hurtbox changes during an attack.

ok yes i understood this. i guess blockstring was the wrong thing to say in my original reply, really what i was looking for was safe ways to apply pressure. i was thinking of those times where the opponent throws out several blockstrings or moves in a row and i never seem to get a turn. i definitely want to create that situation for my opponents but usually end up playing very defensively and waiting for the opponent to throw out a big move that i can punish, or to jump in so i can anti-air them. recently i have become pretty good at stopping my opponent's momentum with jab or short. i play ryu almost exclusively if that helps simplify the process of giving me advice.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Hell Yeah posted:

ok yes i understood this. i guess blockstring was the wrong thing to say in my original reply, really what i was looking for was safe ways to apply pressure. i was thinking of those times where the opponent throws out several blockstrings or moves in a row and i never seem to get a turn. i definitely want to create that situation for my opponents but usually end up playing very defensively and waiting for the opponent to throw out a big move that i can punish, or to jump in so i can anti-air them. recently i have become pretty good at stopping my opponent's momentum with jab or short. i play ryu almost exclusively if that helps simplify the process of giving me advice.

You seem to be doing what you need to. Keep in mind a lot of keeping pressure during amateur play is depending on the opponent to 'freeze' up and leaving unsafe attacks unpunished. Part of this is just nerves, another part is just ignorance to what moves are actually safe.

What I recommend is next time you have a match where someone's pressure seems unbreakable, load up the replay afterward and watch it as slow as you need to. See when they move in, or do an attack that you think might be unsafe, and check its frame data. There are always openings, it's just getting your muscle memory to immediately react to them. Often what I do is just wait until they get pushed out by my blocking, then throw out a st.HP (long range on Balrog), opponents will often get hit by it when they try to move in to keep pressure.

For trying to learn how to keep pressure up yourself, watch a top player's replay for your character. When you see them start doing frame traps and keeping pressure in a corner, just note what string of moves they do. A large part of keeping pressure too is knowing when you're leaving yourself open, and deciding when to take that risk. Just because it's an unsafe move doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, you should just do it when you know the opponent is currently loving up a lot of his/her counter attacks.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Cool idea with the flash cards. would love to see vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

zooted heh posted:

Cool idea with the flash cards. would love to see vegas.

Since you requests made Vega next:

https://quizlet.com/147186448/vega-flash-cards/

Lot of his specials aren't in there since they're air attacks, no need to memorize specific frame data.

I do have one target combo missing: Matador Blitz (MP > HK > MP+MK (claw off)). The frame data spreadsheets says this is -16, but if you block the first two hits the V-skill won't actually come out in one block chain, it just becomes a separate V-skill attack. I'm not sure where they're getting -16 from since the individual V-skill is -13, and the MP xx HK target combo is only like -3 or -4 (by doing the jump test), not -16.

---

Here's the link to the folder:

https://quizlet.com/theGaffe/folders/sfv/sets

Cammy's normals are in there since I made the gifs a long time ago when i first had the idea to do this. Still need to do her specials.