Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sean Hannity is working for the Trump campaign now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not officially but he's definitely angling for a primetime spot on the upcoming Trump Network.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Not officially but he's definitely angling for a primetime spot on the upcoming Trump Network.

That would explain why he's going so all-in on Trump, besides being Sean Hannity I mean.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I had a dream last night that I was watching election returns come in on CNN, and they were using all these super cool looking data visualizations that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I couldn't tell what was actually happening.

...I just felt like sharing that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yinlock posted:

That would explain why he's going so all-in on Trump, besides being Sean Hannity I mean.

Well it's either that or his orders from the party were to be Trump's hype man on Fox.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Idk if you do screenwriting my boss is helping me start my own production company and I'd love to showcase black people in Victorian Literature and sci-fi either in short films or webseries. We'd be working on a micro budget but hey, it's something.

You're probably aware of it, but there's a twitter account I should mention: @medievalpoc

The curator is a grad student I think, and most of what's posted is prominent poc in paintings but a lot of the retweets and some of the asks are good resources for scholarly writings on poc in the past. Obviously the focus is on pre-victorian times but they could probably get you in contact with cool people to speak with.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yinlock posted:

Your points are valid, but they can also be explained by the very fact they bring to light: Paul Ryan is also very stupid.

Well that's a truism obviously :v:

Mike Murphy of all people on Radio Free GOP put this well. If you mean to get off the Trump Train, you need to do it yesterday if you want to gain anything from it. No one will give you credit for doing it when it's October and you're down by ten points in your race.

Ryan's incentive at this stage is to keep the floor from falling off because if Trump is polling sub-30, even the R base won't turn out and they're going to get eaten alive in Congress races.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Chakan posted:

You're probably aware of it, but there's a twitter account I should mention: @medievalpoc

The curator is a grad student I think, and most of what's posted is prominent poc in paintings but a lot of the retweets and some of the asks are good resources for scholarly writings on poc in the past. Obviously the focus is on pre-victorian times but they could probably get you in contact with cool people to speak with.

I actually used to read that account all the time! I never thought about contacting them though, (I'm awful at networking, my mentor is trying to teach me lol) that's a really good idea, thank you!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

Mike Murphy of all people on Radio Free GOP

I listened to this podcast on the drive to work this morning based on the thread's recommendation, and thought it was excellent.

The whole 40s radio announcer schtick is going to get old by the 3rd episode or so I just know it, but the discussion he had with the Democratic pollster was really insightful, and the blood sample analogy was bang-on.

I think I'm going to add this to my regular listening cycle alongside Keepin' It 1600

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
polls so far today:

NBC national 4-way Clinton +5 (Johnson 11%)
Roanoke College Virginia 4-way: Clinton +16

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

emdash posted:

polls so far today:

NBC national 4-way Clinton +5 (Johnson 11%)
Roanoke College Virginia 4-way: Clinton +16

On the one hand, I hope Johnson gets on stage so he can remind the general population how stupid libertarians are. On the other hand, Trump would do much worse 1 on 1.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Goatman Sacks posted:

On the one hand, I hope Johnson gets on stage so he can remind the general population how stupid libertarians are. On the other hand, Trump would do much worse 1 on 1.

I don't think that would go well. Trunp would thrive in the chaos of two white dudes trying to talk over a woman. And if Trump were to drop out of the debates and leave Johnson, he would basically be a Generic Republican and we'd be unlikely to see any crazy chaos dunks destroying internet Libertarianism for all of time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I take the opposite tack: putting Gary Johnson on the debate stage would make that lovely ideology seem a lot more legitimate than it should be, and gives Trump a chance to look better simply by dividing attention between more people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lightning Knight posted:

So I have to ask, on a semi-related note. Tyler Perry movies. I only really see it in the form of ads on TV, but I read an article once on Tyler Perry and how he's apparently sexist in some of his movies. And I know he's apparently popular, or at least makes movies that are popular, among the black community. I don't know a lot about him or his movies and perceived, from ads, that he basically makes low budget sequel strings as simple comedy entertainment. But the article I had read was talking about some deep seated misogynist and religious undertones in his more serious films that I found troubling.

I know that black people in the thread were alluding to and discussing the problem of intersectionality between racism and sexism in the black community. How does Tyler Perry fit into that? Is he actually popular? Are his movies actually good?

Disclaimer: I will admit, I have never seen a Tyler Perry film, nor do I have any meaningful analytical opinion about them past the ads I've seen on TV.

To be clear, I'm mostly interested in the political and cultural context of his work. Whether or not it's actually good is mostly just a curiosity.

Tyler Perry movies are popular because outside of whatever absurd gimmick Madea has in the movie. Or even in his non Madea stuff. They often portray the messy part of the black family, black relationships, which is something that was rare as poo poo. Like in the 80s 90s and early 00s almost every show or movie about the black family or black relationships was sanitised to all hell to a point where it would be acceptable to white people. They occasionally would have the "Carlton has a gun" one off episode but other than that it was rare to see a black family who's default state was having problems and having to work through those problems as the main thrust of the show or movie.

That being said I'm not a fan of his stuff. It's unfunny and can occasionally glorify the worst practices that people still hold corporal punishment, and a whole bunch of problematic stuff about gender roles.

Tangentially related, check out this article about the Cosby show. It's pretty good.

http://sevenscribes.com/content-cousin-pams-character/

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Chakan posted:

That name rings a bell, isn't there a tumblr of the same name? I seem to recall it being brought up in the context of some, hm, shaky historiography, but it's been a while and I don't remember which is which and how well cited everything was.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I take the opposite tack: putting Gary Johnson on the debate stage would make that lovely ideology seem a lot more legitimate than it should be, and gives Trump a chance to look better simply by dividing attention between more people.

I agree. Libertarianism is one of those ideologies that sounds great in very quick soundbites but totally falls apart when any sort of actual thought is put into it. Johnson and Trump would pretty much be tag teaming Hillary and neither of them would be getting the responses they deserve. On top of that like you say it would legitimize libertarianism like Trump is currently legitimizing white supremacy by having the media treat it like a Serious Position that warrants debate.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Clinton plans to discuss the Trump campaign's ties to the alt-right in a speech in Reno, NV on Thursday. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/23/clinton-plans-thursday-address-in-nevada-on-trump-and-the-alt-right/

This could be good. Looking forward to a week of Trump "just responding. I'm just responding, okay?!"

e: OMG. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/23/steve-bannon-donald-trump-s-campaign-ceo-once-wrote-a-rap-musical.html

quote:

Steve Bannon may have run a race-baiting, alt-right mess of a website, but he also once wrote a rap musical about the 1992 L.A. riots.

quote:

Agrippa fires back, and in doing so commands the crowd’s attention.
“South Central is the belly, you, niggas, its mutinous members; look on and you’ll see that the benefits which you receive proceed… from them to you. In no way from your sorry black asses,” Agrippa retorts.
According to the unproduced script, the Blood subsequently “crosses to Brutus and grabs his crotch.”
“Hey, motherfucker, YOU—what you think—YOU—as the great dick of this… assembly?” Agrippa asks.
“Did you call me…” Brutus replies.
“A dick,” Agrippa says, cutting him off, “in his face.”
“You motherfucker…” Brutus responds.
Agrippa grasps at Brutus’s penis, one extra time.

emdash fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 23, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hahaha I am literally being pulled over right now, if I become a hashtag please donate to my family they are poor

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I heard this mentioned on the Dutch radio yesterday, and they said that he'd get a position in Trump's cabinet should he get elected. They presented it as fact, which kind of surprised me considering I hadn't read anything here about it. Then again, I've been kind of out of the loop the last couple of days.

So what's the deal?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dexo posted:

Tyler Perry movies are popular because outside of whatever absurd gimmick Madea has in the movie. Or even in his non Madea stuff. They often portray the messy part of the black family, black relationships, which is something that was rare as poo poo. Like in the 80s 90s and early 00s almost every show or movie about the black family or black relationships was sanitised to all hell to a point where it would be acceptable to white people. They occasionally would have the "Carlton has a gun" one off episode but other than that it was rare to see a black family who's default state was having problems and having to work through those problems as the main thrust of the show or movie.

That being said I'm not a fan of his stuff. It's unfunny and can occasionally glorify the worst practices that people still hold corporal punishment, and a whole bunch of problematic stuff about gender roles.

Tangentially related, check out this article about the Cosby show. It's pretty good.

http://sevenscribes.com/content-cousin-pams-character/

That's interesting. He does serious movies too, right? But still, that makes sense and I see how that would be appealing regardless of whether or not he's funny.

I will read this article before I pass out. Thanks for the response!

I don't feel like Hillary Clinton, one of the most serious of Serious Opinion Havers, should legitimize the alt-right by addressing them directly in anyway. But she is also a more Serious Opinion Haver than me, with well-paid and smart staff people, so I will hope they believe it is a sound move. :ohdear:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Taeke posted:

I heard this mentioned on the Dutch radio yesterday, and they said that he'd get a position in Trump's cabinet should he get elected. They presented it as fact, which kind of surprised me considering I hadn't read anything here about it. Then again, I've been kind of out of the loop the last couple of days.

So what's the deal?

Sounds like some local expert spitballing. We have those in Finland. Most of the time they're on point but sometimes they just parrot talking points from CNN or they say something incredibly weird or dumb.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

Hahaha I am literally being pulled over right now, if I become a hashtag please donate to my family they are poor

O God please be safe. :ohdear:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't feel like Hillary Clinton, one of the most serious of Serious Opinion Havers, should legitimize the alt-right by addressing them directly in anyway. But she is also a more Serious Opinion Haver with well-paid and smart staff people, so I will hope they believe it is a sound move. :ohdear:

My dream is that she addresses the issue of "alt-right" being a "politically correct" term for neo-nazis and white supremacists.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gradenko_2000 posted:

My dream is that she addresses the issue of "alt-right" being a "politically correct" term for neo-nazis and white supremacists.

She can't really do that though. Like I would be so down for her just straight up calling Trump and his supporters out for being the racist fools they are, but it would galvanize his base and the news would be attracted to it like a lightning rod, it would end up looking terrible for her.

On the flip side of that, if she legitimizes them with the term alt-right and addresses them as anything other than what they are, white supremacists, it makes them into a valid political position in the American political discourse, which is unacceptable.

I dunno. I don't like it. But I'll wait and see I guess.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Koalas March posted:

rip in peace, Koalas March

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Real Foogla posted:

rip in peace, Koalas March

I'm OK. He said my tires looked low?? And then have me his number in the back of a gas receipt from 2015?? Idk I'm still having a panic attack. When I opened my dash I realized/saw a black flashlight and nearly lost my poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
#RIPKoalasMarch

I'm setting up a gofundme page for the family

https://www.gofundme.com/totallynotascam

Please donate what you can.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

I'm OK. He said my tires looked low?? And then have me his number in the back of a gas receipt from 2015?? Idk I'm still having a panic attack. When I opened my dash I realized/saw a black flashlight and nearly lost my poo poo.

That's horrifying and I don't know what else to say other than sorry. I feel anxiety towards the police but I can't imagine that level of fear. :smith:

Dexo, this article on The Cosby Show is very interesting, especially in light of what we now know about him. It feels weird to read because I've never watched the show (I was born a few years after it finished), so I'm somewhat removed, but it's quite interesting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Koalas March posted:

don't post while driving!!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I only read this thread occasionally but just wanted to say thanks for the blackposting in the last few pages especially! Always good to learn and I hope to read more posts like that.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hmm, why would a literal multi billionaire care about a few hundred grand?

Unless...

Well, he might not be as rich as he claims, or he's like lots of other rich people out there that fret over any amount of money

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

emdash posted:

Clinton plans to discuss the Trump campaign's ties to the alt-right in a speech in Reno, NV on Thursday. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/23/clinton-plans-thursday-address-in-nevada-on-trump-and-the-alt-right/

This could be good. Looking forward to a week of Trump "just responding. I'm just responding, okay?!"

e: OMG. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/23/steve-bannon-donald-trump-s-campaign-ceo-once-wrote-a-rap-musical.html

At this point, Trump hiring full on KKK members and Neo Nazis would not be surprising.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Geostomp posted:

At this point, Trump hiring full on KKK members and Neo Nazis would not be surprising.

Breitbart has to have at least a few of both of those on staff.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Geostomp posted:

Who is this David Duke fellow? I don't recall. I bet he'd make a fine member of my campaign management though!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Geostomp posted:

What else do you think Bannon is?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I can honestly say I did not know you could be pulled over 'because your tires looked low'

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Guys, we're hosed; he's pivoting:

To talking about MSNBC talk show hosts and co-hosts. That's right! One of the front runners for President of the United States is making headlines for talking about morning show anchors.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Koalas March posted:

Just an idea for the future I just thought of, but what if you stored your insurance and registration in the driver's side mirror? You probably never use it otherwise, and can get something from it quickly. I'm probably going to start storing mine there now that I think about it. If you use it for blocking the sun often, you could use a couple of clips to hold the papers there

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Wait did the cop give you his number on the back of a receipt? What an rear end in a top hat! He loving pulled you over to hit on you.

You know what, I don't know why I'm surprised. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

SocketWrench posted:

Well, he might not be as rich as he claims, or he's like lots of other rich people out there that fret over any amount of money

It's been mentioned before that he did cash a 13 cent check.

• Locked thread