Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

They're Hillary's emails they MUST be bad. 15k emails, and each one more corrupt than the last.

Yeah, I bet there's even an e-mail asking whether an aide can set up her DVR to record Breaking Bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Someone on my Facebook feed just posted "15,000 emails... Wow." I don't get why people are so obsessed over the number of emails like that's the damning part. How about we actually see if there's anything of substance in there first?

I probably go through 15000 emails in six months, and I'm just some IT flunky in a call center. I can't even imagine how much more the loving Secretary of State has to go through.

But given the banality of these emails, I can also pretty easily imagine that there's nothing in them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, I bet there's even an e-mail asking whether an aide can set up her DVR to record Breaking Bad!

Fraillery Clinton is unfit to lead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That 14% Undecided is doing a lot work making me arzy a bit here. I mean, it's Utah. Hillary wasn't winning it, but still.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That 14% Undecided is doing a lot work making me arzy a bit here. I mean, it's Utah. Hillary wasn't winning it, but still.

She's outpacing Obama by 33 in the head to head.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

axe_vendetta posted:

Don't forget the half of the population that has 2 X chromosomes. I haven't seen much serious discussion of the reason that Trump is doing so badly among women beyond the trivial observation that Trump has made many misogynistic comments and has insulted female celebrities. I am sure there is much more to it than that, and that female voters are not merely repulsed by Trump''s persona but also by his politics and policies. This view seems condescending and sexist to me, as it attributes fairly shallow reasons to women for opposing Trump, but I'm a dude so if a woman would like to respond?

I've always read it as referring to women who may have otherwise voted for him, not women in general. I mean, there are plenty of lovely women out there who would be totally OK with his racism and all the other retarded poo poo he talks about, but some percentage of those are like hey whoa, what do you mean I get second class status too, that's not cool I hate you now Trump. See Megyn Kelly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Must have been stuffed in the pants of Sandy Berger

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

zoux posted:

She's outpacing Obama by 33 in the head to head.

To be fair Obama was black, and running against the highest profile Mormon politician in any of our lifetimes.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/768121729029959680

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Holy poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

gradenko_2000 posted:

I probably go through 15000 emails in six months, and I'm just some IT flunky in a call center. I can't even imagine how much more the loving Secretary of State has to go through.

But given the banality of these emails, I can also pretty easily imagine that there's nothing in them.

I delete 15000 emails a week. I wonder what I'm hiding

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

"You should've shown up for a photo op despite the governor's wishes and stocked the food banks with Play Doh! SAD!"

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

meristem posted:

Meh, women are people, too, and people vote primarily on gut and tribe. If that guy repels you on a very deep, gut level, maybe because you've met his type time and again, time and again, and they were all shitheads, why would you stop to hear his *arguments*? It just saves time not to.

Maybe, but I would just like to hear a serious discussion of the gender split in support of not only Trump but also Clinton that doesn't merely look at superficial issues of who said what to whom but also at the underlying psychological differences between men and women and how it influences their thinking about political candidates. Because maybe the question isn't why women don't like Trump, but why men do. Classically speaking, Trump is a conservative demagogue who appeals to those with authoritarian personalities, but a more contemporary perspective would describe this is ""social dominance orientation"" which refers to the belief that certain groups in society are inherently superior to other groups. It's the opposing value against egalitarianism. Does this appeal to men for some reason? Trump espouses a view of America based upon fear and anger, emotions which men may be more comfortable with than women.

Another possibility is that this may not be about women being more against Trump than men but being more in favor of Clinton than men. Clinton is viewed much more favorably by women than men. Is this a simple matter of sexual tribes or is something else going on? I think the gender split is the biggest undiscussed story of the 2016 election.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 23, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo.

gently caress. There goes tenure.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Fraillery Clinton is unfit to lead.

"In the Bush W days we all just took uppers in the morning and downers at night. Ambien is evidence of God's benevolence." - Colin Powell

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Woah what the hell

Would this have any implications regarding all the student athlete/amateurism legal arguments?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/we...dium=socialflow

Mike Pence get the kfc on airplane

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

greatn posted:

What's the connection?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Here's the full NLRB ruling.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Knight of Arboria posted:

"You should've shown up for a photo op despite the governor's wishes and stocked the food banks with Play Doh! SAD!"

Well it is non-toxic.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

greatn posted:

Why would you think this?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Knight of Arboria posted:

Wait, play doh?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

axe_vendetta posted:

Because maybe the question isn't why women don't like Trump, but why men do.

Just what I was thinking. What the heck, men? Are you so easily led? Women see right through this guy, and not just because he's a guy you wouldn't want to date/date your daughter. There's plenty of guys who are personally bad news with women (for instance, the other Clinton) who women like as politicians.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, play doh?

I mean technically you might be able to plug leaks with it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, play doh?

the only thing he unloaded during his photo op was some playdoh which is pretty clearly meant for the shelters with kids in them.

which is because the response is doing its job and has the resources to make things as comfortable as they can for families.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, play doh?

Trump brought a truckload of "supplies". Now, there were some meaningful ones on there, like diapers, but the first supplies off the truck were boxes of loving playdoh. I wish I were joking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Akumu posted:

What's the connection?

Revenge by management.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

i am harry posted:

"In the Bush W days we all just took uppers in the morning and downers at night. Ambien is evidence of God's benevolence." - Colin Powell

I've done some totally inexplicable poo poo thanks to the Ambien walrus but at least I've never started a war in the middle east

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ehhh...that doesn't sound that bad. Maybe a funny image.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

withak posted:

Revenge by management.

Essentially, yes, that's what I meant. Not management in particular, but Republicans who run most of the states and have been thirsty for an angle to attack colleges.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

According to reports he spent 49 seconds unloading so the play-doh was all he did.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

withak posted:

Revenge by management.

Could, could be the opposite. I know my campus faculty tried to unionize a few years ago and got busted. Last year grad students held a union election and we are currently expecting our lawyers to spank the university into recognizing us which has re-energized some of the faculty. Who knows what can happen in the wake of stuff like this? The pendulum swinging the other way, while not impossible, is not certain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BigRed0427 posted:

It's exactly what Hillary's campaign wanted to see. They crafted a referral link for Red Cross donations that was sent out to her supporters. They donate via that link, they can see how much Hillary's supporters donated, and suddenly we have an add lambasting Trump for not only handing out playdoh, but Hillary's supporters doing more than he did.

Oh, and buried under all this is a 100k donation Trump made to a local church.

The same church Tony Perkins is a pastor at.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

greatn posted:

Essentially, yes, that's what I meant. Not management in particular, but Republicans who run most of the states and have been thirsty for an angle to attack colleges.

How could they possibly use this to attack professors' tenure? "Grad students are now able to unionize, therefore we're going to punish the tenured staff" doesn't make much sense and probably wouldn't play any better than their other attempts to kill tenure.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Just talked to one of our union effort leaders. Apparently the original ruling was the whole linchpin of Mizzou's legal argument to not recognize us as employees. So good day for us!

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

withak posted:

Revenge by management.

The two things have nothing to do with one another, and also tenure is already dying/dead, and also this deals with private universities not publics, and also faculty have way more power to resist tenure cuts than grad students do to resist being exploited as underpaid labor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the rationale behind Obama says all doctors have to make boys girls now.

quote:

This lawsuit challenges a new Regulation (“Regulation” or “Rule”) issued by
the Department of Health and Human Services (“HHS”) that seeks to override the
medical judgment of healthcare professionals across the country. On pain of
significant financial liability, the Regulation forces doctors to perform controversial
and sometimes harmful medical procedures ostensibly designed to permanently
change an individual’s sex—including the sex of children. Under the new Regulation,
a doctor must perform these procedures even when they are contrary to the doctor’s
medical judgment and could result in significant, long-term medical harm. Thus, the
Regulation represents a radical invasion of the federal bureaucracy into a doctor’s
medical judgment.
HHS attempts to impose these dramatic new requirements by redefining a
single word used in the Affordable Care Act: “sex.” For decades, across multiple
federal statutes, Congress has consistently used the term “sex” to refer to an
individual’s status as male or female, as determined by a person’s biological sex at
birth. But in the Regulation, HHS redefines “sex” to include “an individual’s internal
sense of gender, which may be male, female, neither, or a combination of male and
female, and which may be different from an individual’s sex assigned at birth.” 45
C.F.R. § 92.4. Thus, with a single stroke of the pen, HHS has created a massive new
liability for thousands of healthcare professionals unless they cast aside their medical
judgment and perform controversial and even harmful medical transition procedures.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

axe_vendetta posted:

The academic consensus is that there are so many definitions of terrorism that the term is essentially a meaningless propaganda term. People seem to know what terrorism is and isn't but ask them to define it and they can't.

What I find really strange is the underlying assumption that if the exact same number of people were killed and injured but in a non-terrorist attack, a good old-fashioned American mass shooting, it would somehow be better and less cause for alarm. It's really strange thinking.

I assume you are opposed to hate crime laws for the same reason?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BarbarianElephant posted:

Just what I was thinking. What the heck, white men?

Fixed. Nonwhite men are still overwhelmingly anti-Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/768098681073479680

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/768098902905987072

I guess Paxton is well chuffed after his "victory" yesterday so they're doubling down with this I'm sure fully real and huge issue affecting millions.

Also, are transition procedures typically conducted on pre pubescent children?

So the answer to my earlier question of "is the GOP just going to file all its lawsuits in Texas so they can get one of the crazy judges there to support them" is an unsurprising Yes.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are we watching the actual demise of the American conservative machine? Is it really happening?

No because even if Fox were to crumble it'd be replaced with new alt-right sources.

Barudak posted:

Relatively soon white genocide aka loving themselves brown and immigration will make winning the white vote massively less relevant. I mean sure, assholes will continue to exist forever but you won't win on a national stage by being an ethnic rear end in a top hat.

The GOP could've kept it going if they'd been able to bring Hispanics in to the White group but Trump's doing a good job at preventing that from happening any time soon.

• Locked thread