Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Texas is a cesspit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CascadeBeta posted:

Bingo. It's amazing listening to people in one breath call the Orlando shooting a terrorism attack, but not things like the Aurora Movie Theater shooting. There's no difference to me.

uhhh...you picked an awful example. Aurora didn't have a political goal in mind and wasn't attacking any type of people in particular. There's a political/cultural point of view behind Pulse.

Terrorism, at the very least, has a purpose behind it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

No because even if Fox were to crumble it'd be replaced with new alt-right sources.

But :foxnews: can actually claim some legitimacy. Breitbart and Drudge can't.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
White nationalists ("White Lives Matters") are protesting outside a NAACP in Houston and are heavily armed. The police are just watching from the sidelines.

https://blackmattersus.com/14253-heavily-armed-white-supremacists-surround-naacp-office-in-houston/

Somehow if the roles were reversed, and BLM was openly carrying outside the NRA, I think we'd be seeing fire hoses and dogs. It's not the first time the police have treated WLM and BLM with a markedly different approach:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/19/black-white-lives-matter-fresno-police-dylan-noble

This is Trump's America

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I'm for it, because men are Trump voters and women are Clinton voters

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

uhhh...you picked an awful example. Aurora didn't have a political goal in mind and wasn't attacking any type of people in particular. There's a political/cultural point of view behind Pulse.

Agreed, but it seems crazy that Charleston and Tucson aren't considered terrorist attack.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

New poll from Monmouth has Trump only +1 in Missouri :getin:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Lemming posted:

I'm for it, because men are Trump voters and women are Clinton voters

White men.

Minority men seem to have a brain.

(note: I say this as a white male)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

Fraillery Clinton is unfit to lead.

Huma's just looking out for her girlfriend. :3:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

axe_vendetta posted:

Maybe, but I would just like to hear a serious discussion of the gender split in support of not only Trump but also Clinton that doesn't merely look at superficial issues of who said what to whom but also at the underlying psychological differences between men and women and how it influences their thinking about political candidates. Because maybe the question isn't why women don't like Trump, but why men do. Classically speaking, Trump is a conservative demagogue who appeals to those with authoritarian personalities, but a more contemporary perspective would describe this is ""social dominance orientation"" which refers to the belief that certain groups in society are inherently superior to other groups. It's the opposing value against egalitarianism. Does this appeal to men for some reason? Trump espouses a view of America based upon fear and anger, emotions which men may be more comfortable with than women.

Another possibility is that this may not be about women being more against Trump than men but being more in favor of Clinton than men. Clinton is viewed much more favorably by women than men. Is this a simple matter of sexual tribes or is something else going on? I think the gender split is the biggest undiscussed story of the 2016 election.

He's everything wrong with society's teachings towards boys and men and is toxic masculinity incarnate.

Also yes women are pretty excited to have another woman because it's the shared experiences of being a woman in a misogynistic society. Guaranteed paid leave, easy access to birth control, sexual harassment, the pay gap. Men haven't done poo poo and some have actively campaigned to make the world worse for women. it's the hope that maybe something can be done to make life easier for American women.

Hell there's probably still some old rear end women born before they could vote legally still kicking around. If you're 75 and a woman that's some exciting social change right there.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 23, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

But :foxnews: can actually claim some legitimacy. Breitbart and Drudge can't.

You see, you say that, but Trump's popularity indicates that there's a pretty decent chunk of the American populace who are ready and willing to consider those sources the only ones with legitimacy. They might not have the reach and power of Fox News, but they're trusted by a scary quantity of people.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Speaking of Huma, does anyone else love the irony of Trump going after her "pervert" husband Spitzer for seeing pros after telling Stern that the 1980s was his personal Vietnam because all the STDs going around were so dangerous and scary.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Harrow posted:

You see, you say that, but Trump's popularity indicates that there's a pretty decent chunk of the American populace who are ready and willing to consider those sources the only ones with legitimacy. They might not have the reach and power of Fox News, but they're trusted by a scary quantity of people.

And I'm saying that the quantity that subscribes to Breitbart type sites will continue to diminish without something as legitimate and wide reaching as Fox News to start people down the path of right wing media.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

cheese eats mouse posted:

Hell there's probably still some old rear end women born before they could vote legally still kicking around. If you're 75 and a woman that's some exciting social change right there.

Wow, nice point. It's bizarre how differently the media is treating our first possible female president in 2016 to how it treated our first possible black president in 2008. Virtually zero discussion or celebration of the fact whatsoever. It's almost as if the Republicans have attacked her character to such an extent that she is no longer considered a woman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axe_vendetta posted:

Speaking of Huma, does anyone else love the irony of Trump going after her "pervert" husband Spitzer for seeing pros after telling Stern that the 1980s was his personal Vietnam because all the STDs going around were so dangerous and scary.

Trump pitched a "Girls of Trump" issue to Hef back in the 80s

As in girls he's hosed.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

greatn posted:

Why don't you go ahead and put the whole world in a bottle, Superman?

This was loving priceless, thank you.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I wonder about the survivability of breitbart as a major news provider. So many of the feeders it relies on, like infowars, ATS, WND, and drudge, have their own delusions about the one who will lead the sheeple into the light against the NWO, and I'm not sure they'll take to kindly to being made subservient to an org like Breitbart.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theflyingorc posted:

A better comparison is Dylan Roof shooting up a black church and how apprehensive outlets were to call it terrorism or even a hate crime. If he was non-white and the victims were white it'd have been reported 100% as terrorism. Same goes for the Planned Parenthood shooting, complete with said shooter being insane whereas if they were a minority they'd probably have just been treated as a radical.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Trump pitched a "Girls of Trump" issue to Hef back in the 80s

As in girls he's hosed.

The "family and religious values" idiots going in on Trump as a candidate never stops being hilarious.

Evil Fluffy posted:

A better comparison is Dylan Roof shooting up a black church and how apprehensive outlets were to call it terrorism or even a hate crime. If he was non-white and the victims were white it'd have been reported 100% as terrorism. Same goes for the Planned Parenthood shooting, complete with said shooter being insane whereas if they were a minority they'd probably have just been treated as a radical.

Don't forget the couple that left the Bundy camp to murder some people and a cop then laid the Gadsden Flag on a dead body. Hmm not sure if there's an ideology there behind those folks, oh well. Now let's have a discussion of if BLM is an hate group against whites in this non-biased panel between a professor and a white supremacist.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 23, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

axe_vendetta posted:

Wow, nice point. It's bizarre how differently the media is treating our first possible female president in 2016 to how it treated our first possible black president in 2008. Virtually zero discussion or celebration of the fact whatsoever. It's almost as if the Republicans have attacked her character to such an extent that she is no longer considered a woman.

I think actually it's more that she's been around in politics so long (literally longer than I've been alive) that the "new and exciting" part of her being probably the first female president is partially mitigated by her being such a long-established political figure.

Also Obama making it in 2008 probably took a lot of the novelty out of it, especially since his main primary opponent was Hillary.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 23, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axe_vendetta posted:

Agreed, but it seems crazy that Charleston and Tucson aren't considered terrorist attack.

Charleston absolutely, 100% should be considered terrorism. If it happened between two ethnic groups in the middle east, it undoubtedly would be thought of that way.

Giffords' shooting I'm a little less certain about, because the guy was almost exactly Travis Bickle, but he actually shot the senator. I'm not sure you can say he had anything particular in mind, he was more like the guy who shot Reagan - who did it to impress Jodie Foster after seeing her in Taxi Driver, so I guess that makes sense.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Most of the women Trump's claimed to have dated and hosed have claimed he'd just bring them home then he would go upstairs and eat candy while watching TV. They claimed it was just for show.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
iirc the guy who shot Giffords was a disturbed individual nursing a grudge against her because, at a town hall, he asked her some inane question about linguistics and she laughed at him

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

axe_vendetta posted:

Huma's married to Anthony Weiner, not Spitzer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

paranoid randroid posted:

iirc the guy who shot Giffords was a disturbed individual nursing a grudge against her because, at a town hall, he asked her some inane question about linguistics and she laughed at him

don't forget that the tucson pd allowed him to have a crazed grin for his mugshot which you're really not supposed to do

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget that the tucson pd allowed him to have a crazed grin for his mugshot which you're really not supposed to do

Great images though.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/768131065777123329

:munch:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

No because even if Fox were to crumble it'd be replaced with new alt-right sources.

I should have phrased it differently, but I wanted to emphasize the machine part. The ideology isn't going anywhere, but the effective political machine that's dominated American politics for years doesn't seem to be in control anymore. What's left is mismanaged rage that looks like it will struggle to win larger elections and organize its people behind a unified cause.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

The purpose was terror. Terror by definition doesn't have to be political, it just often is. Aurora was a terrorist attack. If you want to call it anarchic terror, fine.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
How do I renounce being a white dude, because man white dudes are the worst.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The purpose was terror. Terror by definition doesn't have to be political, it just often is. Aurora was a terrorist attack. If you want to call it anarchic terror, fine.

there is no definition of terror and the common usage is that it's political

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

The only takeaway here is that Hillary was a real beauty when she was younger. She still looks good but wow, what a great picture of her. <3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Terrorism is terror with a political goal. Like, that's what it literally says in the dictionary. The Aurora guy just went on a rampage with no goal.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's not how language works

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Unzip and Attack posted:

The only takeaway here is that Hillary was a real beauty when she was younger. She still looks good but wow, what a great picture of her. <3

Also that she is covering up murders

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hillary is pinning this Zodiac Killer stuff on Cruz to cover for herself.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Quandary posted:

How do I renounce being a white dude, because man white dudes are the worst.

*does benediction hand gesture* you cant, and attempts to do so are an expression of privilege, as they are predicated on your race not being considered as definitive of your character. im afraid youre locked in here with the rest of us, brah.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Hollismason posted:

Most of the women Trump's claimed to have dated and hosed have claimed he'd just bring them home then he would go upstairs and eat candy while watching TV. They claimed it was just for show.

Holy poo poo. Source?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SquadronROE posted:

Also that she is covering up murders

This is the turtleneck I wear when I bath in the blood of my political enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Giffords' shooting I'm a little less certain about, because the guy was almost exactly Travis Bickle, but he actually shot the senator. I'm not sure you can say he had anything particular in mind, he was more like the guy who shot Reagan - who did it to impress Jodie Foster after seeing her in Taxi Driver, so I guess that makes sense.

It's a borderline case. Loughner was schizophrenic, but he also had bought in to anti-government conspiracy theories that are two a penny in the far right. There's no doubt his motives were political even though his politics were bizarre and incoherent. He didn't do it to impress Miley Cyrus or because he had a personal, non-political grudge with Giffords.

• Locked thread