Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

So today they crossed the 10 million dollar mark, so everyone gets a cape of some sort. They also raised $200k during the telethon and ran out of ideas for stretch goals.

If you dropped at least 5 bux today, you got:

- Airplane emote
- Wow quest symbol top hats
- Aeronaut Outfit
- Mini automaton pet
- An in-game camera emote that takes black and white photos
- Clockwork Armor with radio in helmet (?)
- Flaming Bagpipes with leather & metal kilt
- An umbrella which changes the weather
- They couldn't think of anything else when we hit $200k but we'll get something else but they have to think of it first

As for me, I spent $11 and got a pair of wings and a flute in addition to all of the above so I'm a pretty happy camper.

I'd have dropped $5 if it was like, "will finish unfinished scenes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I am incredibly happy with that telethon.

Jimlit posted:

They're already doing that :^)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Flaming bagpipes achieved. :staredog:

Need to download some bagpipe ABC music when this gets into game.

Jimlit posted:

That's been in the highly visible roadmap for a while now and you can see the ongoing progress in the Dev+ forums :eng101:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean they're rolling out 3 or 4 this month that we know about. Spite, Estgard, Port Graff, and I've heard that Elad's Lighthouse is getting a little bit of love too, some random player owned town.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
So I made sure I was sitting ready to claim when my time slot came up. Got the row spot I wanted in Estguard. Seems there was no competition at all :p

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Same. I got one of the middle ones on the row of 4 next to the town center. We're probably neighbors.

Hopefully when they come in and redesign I don't end up somewhere less convenient.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Same. I got one of the middle ones on the row of 4 next to the town center. We're probably neighbors.

Hopefully when they come in and redesign I don't end up somewhere less convenient.

Lots shouldn't be moving at all and if they do it will be only a few pixels to accommodate scene deco updates, so you'll be safe.
(re: livestream comments on the topic)

If you want a vague idea of what to expect in a few days take a peek at Valhold, North from Estgard. It's not a completed scene either but it's still a good foundation.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The lots won't move, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the stuff around it moving. I'm right behind the bank, next to dock, etc.

Is that stuff still going to be there? Are the npc buildings considered to be "lots" as well?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Xenos is the best case study for that - the main hub didn't move at all but all the buildings were replaced. Might be worth checking it out if you like.

Bear in mind it was also once a clone of the same map Estgard is based off, so before getting updated they looked identical apart from map rotation.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Worst case scenario, I'm off on Thursday when 33 drops and can run around and move lots if need be.

Do we have any crafter specializing so far that I should horde mats for? I'm thinking I'm going to focus on tailoring, tanning, and textiles, I think.

Hopefully that pays off and we eventually get a load of craftable pretty clothes.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I bought into this awful game because I am a sucker for nostalgia and UO ruined my childhood.

Right now I'm building my char into a Polearms + Heavy Armor dude with Healing and Water spells cause I guess those combo with polearms. Is this a dumb idea?

How viable is it to make money gathering resources? I'm guessing I have to have a house if I want a vendor?

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Akion posted:

I bought into this awful game because I am a sucker for nostalgia and UO ruined my childhood.

Right now I'm building my char into a Polearms + Heavy Armor dude with Healing and Water spells cause I guess those combo with polearms. Is this a dumb idea?

How viable is it to make money gathering resources? I'm guessing I have to have a house if I want a vendor?

I was doing the same thing but with fire stuff. Polearm and water have working combos? I'll have to look into that.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

[quote="Akion" post="463488218"
[/quote]

It's pretty viable, silver and cut gems specifically. There are public vendors that work like auction houses, I'd say those are way better than a house vendor.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jimlit posted:

It's pretty viable, silver and cut gems specifically. There are public vendors that work like auction houses, I'd say those are way better than a house vendor.

Where do I find these public vendors?

Also for anyone wondering how this runs on a 13" retina macbook pro - the answer is... okay.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Check near the crafting areas in the main cities.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Keep in mind that crafting+adventuring XP is completely separate so don't avoid crafting because it's not "one or the other"

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Is there benefit to focusing on a few skills rather than just doing everything?

I guess that applies to adventure and crafting, but I'm thinking of craft specifically.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I guess that applies to adventure and crafting, but I'm thinking of craft specifically.

Maintaining all of those skills would be a bitch

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Does anybody have a link to a weapon/armor guide? I can see all the different stuff via recipes on the wiki, but it gets really confusing. It seems like weapons don't really get that much more powerful as they get better? Also, how the hell do you make a +1 etc. weapon? Is that what masterworking is? What exactly does the + give you? Is it random?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jimlit posted:

Auction houses want 10% of the sale price up front, house vendors you can list things for free indefinitely.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

This mainly concentrates on the right way to do adventuring:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zl6SMCoiFY79STI3fyPuK7CdXioYUjjpmBPjXtOCX-Y/edit?usp=sharing

You want to concentrate on a few things with crafting because gently caress masterworks. Leveling masterworks costs an obscene amount of silver to be remotely useful. Getting entry-level crafting so you can process your own materials & produce cross-competency basics like metal bindings and bow strings only costs crafting XP so if you're planning on stripping all resources in sight it's not a bad idea.

But fuuuuuuck masterworking. You will need to specialize for that, specifically. If you get to the point where you're useful as a masterwork crafter and for some reason want to level a whole nother masterworking skill then I guess you've given up on life and can do anything you want.

D-Pad posted:

Does anybody have a link to a weapon/armor guide? I can see all the different stuff via recipes on the wiki, but it gets really confusing. It seems like weapons don't really get that much more powerful as they get better? Also, how the hell do you make a +1 etc. weapon? Is that what masterworking is? What exactly does the + give you? Is it random?

Weapons and armor either get made or not, the only things that your basic crafting skill determines are: (A) odds of success and (B) odds of exceptional. Success for all crafting things caps out at 95% and success for exceptional might(???) cap out at 22%? It caps out in the mid to low 20's.

When you're first starting out, the big deal cool guy thing is that different materials have different bonuses that they offer to your gear. You can easily put together a fortified supple/hardened leather set that gives you like 14% crit and 5% weapon damage, IF you can get the materials, which is very hard to do.

When you make a piece of gear there's a chance of it being "exceptional", that's where the +1 comes from. All that gives you is +50 durability which is trash until you start masterworking/enchanting. To masterwork, you combine a piece of gear in the crafting grid with 5 silver ingots. There's a chance (high at first, then lower as you level) that it will be destroyed when you do this. If it's not destroyed, you get to choose one of 3 "masterworks" to apply to the gear. These are all garbage at first, then they become less garbage as you skill up. Each masterwork adds a +2 to the weapon, reduces the weapon's max durability (better masterworks reduce durability by more, which is why +1 is actually really good), and increases the chance that the next masterwork will destroy the gear.

For crafting (i.e. not alchemy) skills, you've got one main masterwork ability which, when leveled, increases the chance to succeed on masterworks, and then you've got 2-4 sub-abilities that unlock when your masterwork ability hits level 40. These sub-abilities are hyper-specialized. You have to level these up to get access to masterwork options that aren't trash. Alchemy has enchanting instead of masterworking. It takes gold and mandrake instead of silver, can be used on any gear, and immediately has access to all its top level options without having to level a specific skill. It stacks with masterworks without disrupting masterwork success chance so we're supposed to work together, but gently caress alchemists, they didn't earn this. Also they can socket a gem into your gear and there are special gem-specific enchants that have a chance to pop on gemmed gear.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
When the expand permissions, I'll let you guys use my vendor and just pocket a low percentage (used to buy obnoxious amounts to drive in more business). It's only a matter of time until we get neon signs at this rate.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I would contribute to a "Live Nude Orcs" sign above the guild house.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Akion posted:

I would contribute to a "Live Nude Orcs" sign above the guild house.

Speaking of orcs, there aren't any in this game :(. I wish there were, orcs were fun to slaughter in UO.

It also needs dragons, ettins, and jwilsons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of like the smack talking elves that boast about how superior they are, right before you put them into the dirt.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

I kind of like the smack talking elves that boast about how superior they are, right before you put them into the dirt.

I can kill two of the elves in Grayforest at once now. Three is too much, though. Is selling their weapons to Pip currently the best way to make money? I'm getting nice increases in Encumbrance, so I can keep carrying more and more each time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I can kill two of the elves in Grayforest at once now. Three is too much, though. Is selling their weapons to Pip currently the best way to make money? I'm getting nice increases in Encumbrance, so I can keep carrying more and more each time.

My focus is generally on harvesting crafting materials and XP more than a time/loot $value equation but the swords and bows elves drops are an excellent weight to value ratio.

If you just want money fast and have good carrying capacity kill bandits with halberds & warhammers in Serpent's Spine Foothills. They weigh about 7 "units" each though so make your looting choices accordingly. Good place to get maple wood too.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I moved my house to be just behind the bank, figured being central was more important than an ocean view eh

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

yoloer420 posted:

I moved my house to be just behind the bank, figured being central was more important than an ocean view eh

It's like I know this is English, but I can not understand the concept behind it. Practicality....*more* important than aesthetics?

At least tell me you spent what was in retrospect a scary amount of time decorating it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just did a full run around Estgard. Quite a few new residents.

Also I seem to be the only person with a wooden outhouse in the entire city. When we can lock individual doors in some future release that's the only door I'm going to lock.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Speaking of Estgard being ad hoc Goontown, are any of you high rollers planning on donating a portion of your manse to be Paladis Paladin clubhouse?

And that being said, anyone with yard space want to duke me some land for cotton farming?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When the appropriate permission systems are in game for "renting" rooms (it won't be too soon, lots of other things higher priority on the roadmap) I'm happy to look into giving people individual rooms in my multi story basement with personal storage containers and so on.
Free of charge obviously because the amusing idea of people living out my basement is payment enough. I'm sure others will likely be happy to do the same with their own basements / spare rooms.

No interest in flagging my lot as a guild house though.
Because of how guildhall access permissions work that would involve me needing to start caring who has what guild rank, define access rights by rank/individual, etc. Down to each deco item on my lot. Really don't care for the hassle.

I'd rather wait for a system which is basically "Hey you, this bit is yours to do with what you want".

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

Speaking of orcs, there aren't any in this game :(. I wish there were, orcs were fun to slaughter in UO.

It also needs dragons, ettins, and jwilsons.

We have dragons. No ettins but trolls are kind of like that but just with one head. Also have slimes but not the jwilson variety for obvious reasons.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's like I know this is English, but I can not understand the concept behind it. Practicality....*more* important than aesthetics?

At least tell me you spent what was in retrospect a scary amount of time decorating it.

Maybe I should move back....

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yo what are the benefits of different crafting tables?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Has Portalarium ever stated in a future release/episode if music instruments will be more than just, well, music players, like they were in UO? Provoking poo poo was fun.

Lum_ posted:

We have dragons. No ettins but trolls are kind of like that but just with one head. Also have slimes but not the jwilson variety for obvious reasons.

Cool. I've seen a couple trolls. Obviously I had to run since one punch took half my health away.

I wonder if you could get away with naming a slime after a reviewer that gives your game a bad review these days.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What do the green numbers next to the skill icons that are leveling up on the right side of the screen represent? It isn't how many times you need to perform the action to level it up. I can't figure it out.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

D-Pad posted:

What do the green numbers next to the skill icons that are leveling up on the right side of the screen represent? It isn't how many times you need to perform the action to level it up. I can't figure it out.

It's how many times the skill has leveled up during the current session.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is there a way or a place I can see the interiors of the Shingle Village House with Overhang, and the Small Old Keep? I'm trying to decide between the two, and every time I see a player owned one, its locked.

Portalarium sent out an email with R33 notes, and they sound nice. Path of Love stuff is getting the most attention, although Estgard is getting a makeover, as planned. I like how certain areas of the game that are PvP flagged will not be able to be circumvented by playing through Single Player or Friends Online. It sounds like they know the risk of PvP was one of the essentials that made UO great. Although they will allow people to go quickly through these areas, like the teleporter dudes at the passes. Loot is going to be more interesting too. Smashing crates might give you something, high level elves have a chance at dropping elven weapons, bosses have loot.

Pretty impressive stuff. Are releases planned to happen each month? If so, this game is headed in a great direction.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

Is there a way or a place I can see the interiors of the Shingle Village House with Overhang, and the Small Old Keep? I'm trying to decide between the two, and every time I see a player owned one, its locked.

Portalarium sent out an email with R33 notes, and they sound nice. Path of Love stuff is getting the most attention, although Estgard is getting a makeover, as planned. I like how certain areas of the game that are PvP flagged will not be able to be circumvented by playing through Single Player or Friends Online. It sounds like they know the risk of PvP was one of the essentials that made UO great. Although they will allow people to go quickly through these areas, like the teleporter dudes at the passes. Loot is going to be more interesting too. Smashing crates might give you something, high level elves have a chance at dropping elven weapons, bosses have loot.

Pretty impressive stuff. Are releases planned to happen each month? If so, this game is headed in a great direction.

Yep, they've been putting out releases every single month since 2013. Don't think they've missed a single date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Anyone who didn't pledge high enough to get a house: in-game lottery for property lots starts with this release tomorrow.

quote:

Lot Deed Raffle: Players can now buy raffle tickets with in-game gold for a chance to win Taxed Lot Deeds. There are two raffles, one for each lot type: Place-Anywhere Deeds (PAD) and Player-Owned Town Deeds (POT). Raffle tickets grant the holder a chance to win a deed of any size (Row, Village, Town, or City). Raffles will be held monthly and we will have multiple winners for each lot size (numbers will vary each month). Place-Anywhere Deed raffle tickets are more expensive but will have fewer deeds in each raffle than POT raffle tickets, which are more affordable and will have many more deeds in each raffle. This means your chances to win a POT deed are much greater. The following are the numbers we will be releasing in the first raffles:
Place Anywhere Deeds (75):
Row: 40
Village: 20
Town: 10
City: 5
Player Owned Town Deeds (600):
Row: 320
Village: 160
Town: 80
City: 40