Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Karloff posted:

This is, and always will be, a terrible argument. Different characters in different stories with different contexts are different. If the upcoming Justice League featured a Batman who didn't dress up like a bat, but instead wore a fedora and used a whip would you go "Yeah, well, you didn't have a problem with Raiders of the Lost Ark so it's weird for you to find that odd"?
Is having Batman kill comparable to making him wear a fedora to you? I.e., is the problem truly that this character just doesn't "look" enough like Batman? If so, then I don't see how it's anything but a "not my Batman" argument.

It seems like you (or at least others) have been saying there's more to this, that the issue involves the ethics of killing and the nature of heroism, etc. All of that is relevant in the same ways in other movies and other stories.

EDIT: I guess you seem to be arguing in a different direction, but I think the question is relevant to many people's arguments about Batman killing.

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Karloff posted:

This is, and always will be, a terrible argument. Different characters in different stories with different contexts are different. If the upcoming Justice League featured a Batman who didn't dress up like a bat, but instead wore a fedora and used a whip would you go "Yeah, well, you didn't have a problem with Raiders of the Lost Ark so it's weird for you to find that odd"?

Does the fedora have a Batman logo on it? This is important.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does the fedora have a Batman logo on it? This is important.

These actually exist.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LesterGroans posted:

So there are two reasons I asked that: 1) because SnakeBananas seems to think not having an issue with this is akin to condoning murder irl, and 2) he's bringing in stuff like comics and Batman Beyond so I figured other media was fair game.

I never said anything about condoning anything IRL, it was all in context of the fictional world of Batman. It has also been established that there is a difference between murder and killing. My argument is, and always has been, that it doesn't make sense for anyone to be OK with a masked stranger with absolutely no legal accountability killing anybody for any reason. A rational world would not realistically tolerate a murderous vigilante. I understand that this is a fictional world, but that doesn't mean I have to ignore any time it doesn't make sense.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So a masked stranger is walking down the street, and someone pulls a knife on him and attempts to stab him. It's not ok for the stranger to kill him in self defense?

Like you just acknowledged that there is a difference between murder and killing, but then applied the blanket statement to the wrong one. Does wearing a mask mean he's sacrificed all his rights?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Martman posted:

So a masked stranger is walking down the street, and someone pulls a knife on him and attempts to stab him. It's not ok for the stranger to kill him in self defense?

If this scenario were to occur, the person who did the killing would ideally be arrested and tried in court. The court will determine whether or not it was OK. If the person who did the killing just ran off into the night, he has committed a grievous crime

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If this scenario were to occur, the person who did the killing would ideally be arrested and tried in court. The court will determine whether or not it was OK.
If that happened, a properly held trial would find that it was a justified killing.

The fact that Batman won't let himself be subject to the power of the justice system doesn't change the ethics of killing in self-defense. You're saying a "rational world wouldn't tolerate it" but all you're really showing is that the justice system doesn't allow vigilantism to any extent, regardless of killing.

Replace "killing" in your example with "seriously wounding by beating and lacerating." How does this change what you're talking about?

EDIT: If when you said "And let's be clear, if you are OK with Batman killing people, you are condoning the act of killing." you were referring only to the fictional world of Batman, what exactly was your point? You're actually claiming now that all you were trying to say is "If you condone Batman killing people, then you condone Batman killing people."

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 23, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Martman posted:

If that happened, a properly held trial would find that it was a justified killing.

So we should just bypass our entire justice system because we already know what the outcome of the trial will be? A regular citizen doesn't get to decide whether or not a killing is justified. In this scenario, the killing was justified, but what if an investigation revealed something new?

Martman posted:

The fact that Batman won't let himself be subject to the power of the justice system doesn't change the ethics of killing in self-defense. You're saying a "rational world wouldn't tolerate it" but all you're really showing is that the justice system doesn't allow vigilantism to any extent, regardless of killing.

It shouldn't tolerate vigilantism! Vigilantism is and always has been against the law. The Avengers for instance, are a government backed agency and their checks and balances are often discussed.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 23, 2016

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It shouldn't tolerate vigilantism! Vigilantism is and always has been against the law. The Avengers for instance, are a government backed agency and their checks and balances are often discussed.
My point is, what you've brought up this page has nothing to do with killing. There is no line there where the nature of vigilantism changes. So I don't see why you've brought it up in relation to the Batman killing argument?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"I'm not gonna kill you...but I don't have to save you either!" is such a lame slam dunk in a series full of them.

Not the line I'm referring to. Much earlier, when Ra's asks him to execute the murderer.

"I will go back to Gotham and I will fight men like this, but I will not become an executioner."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Martman posted:

My point is, what you've brought up this page has nothing to do with killing. There is no line there where the nature of vigilantism changes. So I don't see why you've brought it up in relation to the Batman killing argument?

I've always felt that in the context of these fictional worlds, they tolerate vigilantism because in this particular fictional world the vigilantes are wildly effective, and somehow more useful than actual police. The Justice League was only recognized as a good thing when they stopped an extra-terrestrial threat that would have wiped out humanity. What happened when Superman decided to just execute Lex Luthor? They took over the world and became the Justice Lords. The authorities tolerate the vigilantes because nobody is dying. It's a lot like the plot of Civil War. Tony Stark thinks people should be held accountable for their actions through legal scrutiny, which is a fine and noble goal. Captain America thinks that good guys should be left alone and we should just assume they plan on doing good things.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If this scenario were to occur, the person who did the killing would ideally be arrested and tried in court. The court will determine whether or not it was OK. If the person who did the killing just ran off into the night, he has committed a grievous crime

This isn't how the law works at all. You don't have to stick around after killing someone. You can kill in self defense then run off into the night. Many legal experts would argue you should given how precarious a self-defense defense is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sir Kodiak posted:

This isn't how the law works at all. You don't have to stick around after killing someone. You can kill in self defense then run off into the night. Many legal experts would argue you should given how precarious a self-defense defense is.

Is this really true? How would the authorities be able to determine that it was actually in self defense? Maybe you provoked the attack for instance. Maybe you planned for it to look like a self defense killing. If I were to kill someone and then not immediately call the authorities, I believe my motives would be brought into question.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Is this really true? How would the authorities be able to determine that it was actually in self defense? Maybe you provoked the attack for instance. Maybe you planned for it to look like a self defense killing. If I were to kill someone and then not immediately call the authorities, I believe my motives would be brought into question.

I'm guessing you're not American.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm guessing you're not American.

I am... I'm pretty sure if I were to flee the scene of a homicide and they caught me, I would be really really hosed. But I honestly don't know for sure, having never been involved in a homicide.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Your motives will be brought into question anyways. Yes, calling the police yourself is evidence various people might consider. But the problem with calling the police yourself and immediately claiming self defense is that you are admitting murder rather than making them prove it, then forcing yourself to justify it. That's a massive risk to take.

There may be circumstances in which you'd want to turn yourself in. But it is very clearly the case that, contrary to what you said, running away does not change whether a lawful killing is lawful. It's not like a hit and run type deal.

For reference, this isn't legal advice, but it's based on what I learned in law school and from talking to actual criminal defense attorneys (which I am not).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

having never been involved in a homicide.

That's a fail

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I am... I'm pretty sure if I were to flee the scene of a homicide and they caught me, I would be really really hosed. But I honestly don't know for sure, having never been involved in a homicide.

What a suspicious response.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Most of the stuff that you should do in a serious crime, even if you're innocent, is counter-intuitive.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sir Kodiak posted:

Your motives will be brought into question anyways. Yes, calling the police yourself is evidence various people might consider. But the problem with calling the police yourself and immediately claiming self defense is that you are admitting murder rather than making them prove it, then forcing yourself to justify it. That's a massive risk to take.

There may be circumstances in which you'd want to turn yourself in. But it is very clearly the case that, contrary to what you said, running away does not change whether a lawful killing is lawful. It's not like a hit and run type deal.

For reference, this isn't legal advice, but it's based on what I learned in law school and from talking to actual criminal defense attorneys (which I am not).

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Most of the stuff that you should do in a serious crime, even if you're innocent, is counter-intuitive.

This is... actually super interesting. So what's the idea here? That it's the laws job to prove you did it and bring you to justice, and not necessarily your responsibility to report it? If hypothetically asked why you didn't report it to the police, what would be the legally appropriate response?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 24, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Demand an attorney.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If hypothetically asked why you didn't report it to the police, what would be the legally appropriate response?

Nothing.

The jury cannot be told that you didn't cooperate with the police by not talking to them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Also Lois couldn't spell. Like it was a major character trait that this hot shot reporter doesn't know how to spell words.

That was a callback to the first Donner film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The "Lois can't spell" gags get me every time, I won't lie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The "Lois can't spell" gags get me every time, I won't lie.

It was pretty bad in Superman Returns but that was entirely because Kate Bosworth is horrible at everything.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

This is... actually super interesting. So what's the idea here? That it's the laws job to prove you did it and bring you to justice, and not necessarily your responsibility to report it? If hypothetically asked why you didn't report it to the police, what would be the legally appropriate response?

It is absolutely the state's job to prove you did it. Not having to self incriminate is a constitutional right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The authorities tolerate the vigilantes because nobody is dying.

Well no; that would be stupid. The authorities don't give a poo poo if a person dies.

The fantasy that Superman will turn into a 'Justice Lord' if he executes Lex Luthor has nothing to do with the sanctity of life or whatever. The authorities oppose such an action because it represents an attack on the free market.

People seem to forget that Batman Began purely as a way for a billionaire to combat the mafia - by, effectively, replacing them. No loftier goal than that. No threat to the system, or to those in power.

What happens if a worker dies in one of the shoddy Chinese factories mass-producing batsmobile components? Does Batman immediately quit in disgrace, commit suicide, because his actions have killed someone? Of course not. That doesn't count for some reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It was pretty bad in Superman Returns but that was entirely because Kate Bosworth is horrible at everything.

I still think both her and Katie Holmes get a real bad rap for their 2005 superhero love interest performances

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still think both her and Katie Holmes get a real bad rap for their 2005 superhero love interest performances

Bosworth is just bad in everything except that Jason Statham flick where she plays a meth addict.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's strange how killing is the line that the general public don't want vigilantes to cross. Like, the riots over black people getting shot usually only involve some property damage but people are still ready to crack down on that end.

Or is this another one of those things that doesn't count because Batman's fictional?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

Or is this another one of those things that doesn't count because Batman's fictional?

It's a beautiful ideal.

You can't argue convincingly against Faith.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

It's strange how killing is the line that the general public don't want vigilantes to cross. Like, the riots over black people getting shot usually only involve some property damage but people are still ready to crack down on that end.

The intense fixation on the 'no killing rule' has nothing to do with its content ("no killing"). It is purely the fact that the rule is a rule.

"‘Rule Girls’ are heterosexual women who follow precise rules as to how they let themselves be seduced (accept a date only if you are asked at least three days in advance etc). Although the rules correspond to customs which used to regulate the behaviour of old-fashioned women actively pursued by old-fashioned men, the Rule Girls phenomenon does not involve a return to conservative values: women now freely choose their own rules – an instance of the ‘reflexivisation’ of everyday customs in today’s ‘risk society’. According to the risk society theory of Anthony Giddens, Ulrich Beck and others, we no longer live our lives in compliance with Nature or Tradition; there is no symbolic order or code of accepted fictions (what Lacan calls the ‘Big Other’) to guide us in our social behaviour. All our impulses, from sexual orientation to ethnic belonging, are more and more often experienced as matters of choice. Things which once seemed self-evident – how to feed and educate a child, how to proceed in sexual seduction, how and what to eat, how to relax and amuse oneself – have now been ‘colonised’ by reflexivity, and are experienced as something to be learned and decided on."
-Zizek

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

These actually exist.

It's somehow dumber looking than I was thinking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Instead of becoming a vigilante it would be more realistic for Bruce to join Gotham PD so he can kill with impunity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hollismason posted:

Instead of becoming a vigilante it would be more realistic for Bruce to join Gotham PD so he can kill with impunity.
Sometimes he has a thing for beating up white people with graduate degrees.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

There are Batmans where that happens and in some he ends up disillusioned with the corruption and focus on petty crime and oppression and others where he just chokes under having to follow the rules.

There are also batmans where he is actually commissioner Gordon piloting a robot suit. Hell Steven King has an unpublished Batman story he made. Pretty much every Batman concept is out there and each one a different interpretation of Batman equally valid and terrible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's even one where Batman is one of the best films ever made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a shame that thing has not really anything to do with Nosferatu. Which, granted, is sort of like winning the lottery and being sad you didn't win twice in one day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, weirdly it's more like Metropolis and a medley of other German cinema than that film specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
[quote="Barudak" post="Z63510491"]
There are also btmans where he is actually commissioner Gordon piloting a robot suit.
[/quote]

Big O was an excellent show.

• Locked thread