Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and I kind of hate it.

It's not any one thing. No single thing about the phone is bad. In fact, most of it is really good. Like the hardware in general is really nice, and the camera is absolutely incredible. It's just the little things that suck.

Like, the Edge display is really stupid and only exist to make you accidently touch something you didn't mean too.

Or that Samsung updates all of their apps through their app store instead of the Play Store and that almost all of their apps are completely redundant. I don't want or need Hancom Office. Please stop downloading it.

The emoji font is a crime against taste.

Yes, thank you for letting me know about game mode for the 4th time. I don't care.

I really really miss the quality of life functions my Droid Turbo had like the chop-chop motion to turn on the flashlight, or always listening google now. Speaking of which, for some reason 9 out of 10 times I try to use voice in google now (even after activating manually) the phone acts like it can't access the microphone.

The phone is a tiny pile of little disappointments and irritations, like my son. I guess my next phone will be a Nexus phone. Hope that wireless charging comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and I kind of hate it.

It's not any one thing. No single thing about the phone is bad. In fact, most of it is really good. Like the hardware in general is really nice, and the camera is absolutely incredible. It's just the little things that suck.

Like, the Edge display is really stupid and only exist to make you accidently touch something you didn't mean too.

Or that Samsung updates all of their apps through their app store instead of the Play Store and that almost all of their apps are completely redundant. I don't want or need Hancom Office. Please stop downloading it.

The emoji font is a crime against taste.

Yes, thank you for letting me know about game mode for the 4th time. I don't care.

I really really miss the quality of life functions my Droid Turbo had like the chop-chop motion to turn on the flashlight, or always listening google now. Speaking of which, for some reason 9 out of 10 times I try to use voice in google now (even after activating manually) the phone acts like it can't access the microphone.

The phone is a tiny pile of little disappointments and irritations, like my son. I guess my next phone will be a Nexus phone. Hope that wireless charging comes back.
Good to know.
Other S7 Edge owners care to share their experiences?

Also, what are the recommended brands for cases now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I was pretty bummed that the Canadian variant is the Snapdragon this time around, the Exynos chip in the S7 is fantastic and definitely better.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Does anybody use the VSCO photo editing app? I just jumped from iOS to Android (s7 edge) and noticed that VSCO on android doesn't give you an option to pick image output size on save. A 3MB initial image I edited and saved to the gallery ended up as a 7MB file and I didn't realize it until I SMS'd it to a friend on an iPhone and he received it really poorly compressed with heavy artifacting.

I'm not sure how much of this is a factor of the file just being too drat big and how much is a factor of sending images from android to ios but I can't figure out how to fix it. VSCO as far as I can tell just doesn't have a resolution option on export on android.

Has anybody run up against this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Firstly stop sending MMS, this isn't 2003. Use an IM or email or whatever.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Finally got my moto E in the mail today. After a 3 hour call with AT&T I finally got it to work with my microsim.

This phone is slow as hell but I wasn't expecting anything else. I miss quick charging and playing pokemon go (the phone doesn't support it). Other than that though I'm just glad to have a phone again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tunga posted:

What a dumb post.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

What a dumb post.

Not really. MMS compresses photos quite a bit.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What a dumb post.

No, he's right. I should just stop talking to the vast majority of people I know, simply because SMS/MMS are by far the most widely used messaging protocols in my country and, despite all of their issues, work well enough that most people don't see any reason to install another app.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

"Here's my number, but if you want to send me any PICTURES *wink* *wink*, please download this chat app and send them to user xXxNiGhTlYdRiVeRxXx"
:goonsay:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
/spends 30 minutes fine tuning 8 meg picture in picture editing app
/mangles the poo poo out of it by letting MMS compress it to 500k

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

MMS is widely used here and pretty much the only choice when my friends have iPhones and all they use is iMessage which clearly is not available on Android.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MMS is perfectly fine when you're sending someone a quick photo or something when you're on the go - eg. when you don't care that it's a small compressed image. If you want to send a full res photo then obviously you'd want to use a different method.

There's more than one usecase out there, guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

MMS is widely used here and pretty much the only choice when my friends have iPhones and all they use is iMessage which clearly is not available on Android.

Pretty sure your iPhone-owning friends have email.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

10 Beers posted:

Good to know.
Other S7 Edge owners care to share their experiences?

Also, what are the recommended brands for cases now?

I was going to return my S7E after three days of using it with the horrible dogshit verizon software that was pushing notifications about bloatware apps on what seemed to be a munute to minute basis. Battery life was horrible, wakelocks were unmanagable and everything overall felt like a piece of poo poo with a really bright interface.

I decided to try the unlocked 935 firmware, which installed in about 20 minutes, every single issue I had went away, with no exaggeration it is unbelievable how much better the device is in every single aspect imaginable. I get about 26-28 hours on a charge with 3-5 hours of screen on time and eveyrthing is fluid and responsive with no nag screens of any kind.

It also received the August patch updates last night without any issues and even if you have zero experience "modding" a device, this is the equivalent of just reinstalling iOS through iTunes with a slight bit more attention needed. I'm also coming from 4 years of Apple devices so, messing with software isn't something I'm use to but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone using an s7 or s7e.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Not really. MMS compresses photos quite a bit.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only use case for sending pictures is my artisanal, handcrafted, 12-bit DeviantArt animes!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All I'm saying is taht if someone goes to the effort of editing their dick pics, they probably want it sent in the best quality, not artifacted and compressed to hell.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Yes that's easier and way more conventional than MMS. :rolleyes:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

MMS is significantly faster and easier than composing, attaching, then sending an email, then waiting for the other person to open it. If I need to send a high quality original photo, sure I'll email, but for quick pic sending MMS is clearly better. Sorry that offends you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

MMS is significantly faster and easier than composing, attaching, then sending an email, then waiting for the other person to open it. If I need to send a high quality original photo, sure I'll email, but for quick pic sending MMS is clearly better. Sorry that offends you?
Yes this is what we're discussing. Keep up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yes this is what we're discussing. Keep up.

I'm sorry for missing that. You don't have to he a dick about it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - you don't have to be a dick about it

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

monster on a stick posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets › The Android Thread - you don't have to be a dick about it

Easily the most appropriate title this thread could ever have.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android to Android it shouldn't really be any slower. You can share to email right from the picture after you've finished editing it, and the recipient should be able to open it right from the notification, should take about the same amount of time as sending an MMS.

Not that I'd recommend email over the million apps that do it faster and smoother, just playing devil's advocate.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

XIII posted:

No, he's right. I should just stop talking to the vast majority of people I know, simply because SMS/MMS are by far the most widely used messaging protocols in my country and, despite all of their issues, work well enough that most people don't see any reason to install another app.

I'm sure your friends are normal enough and use Facebook.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Easily the most appropriate title this thread could ever have.
Nah I'm pretty sure it's still "defend your purchase"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just upload my high res photos to Dropbox or OneDrive and SMS/Facebook Message/email out a link. Everyone can figure out what to do with them after that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it's still "defend your purchase"

Go for it. If you want a cookie cutter experience like your friends, go iPhone.

I still have no regrets with my Verizon sponsored Samsung phone. Disabling apps is easy, maybe next year you Samsung haters can have some of these features.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Moey posted:

Go for it. If you want a cookie cutter experience like your friends, go iPhone.

I still have no regrets with my Verizon sponsored Samsung phone. Disabling apps is easy, maybe next year you Samsung haters can have some of these features.

lmao

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

But non-Samsung phones can already disable apps. :v: Though, I haven't disabled an app in about 3 years?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/23/first-android-n-maintenance-update-will-probably-android-7-1/

Looks like the Nexus devices will launch with 7.1, not 7.0.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Look, I don't know what handles MMS compression if it's the device or what but my workflow on iPhone was edit in VSCO (20 seconds or so) export as large image (iOS app gives a size option Android apparently doesn't) and then send via mms at large size (iPhone prompts what size you want to send).

That workflow worked for me since first gen iPhone and I never had any issues with things coming out as horribly artifacted as this image I just sent did.

I had no idea the image was 7MB until I dug into it to see why it was so hosed for the recipient. Thankfully Android allows you to see file size, it was something that always bothered me with photos on iPhone.

I'm just looking for an easy workflow to send decent looking images to friends, this wasn't intended to be printed as a poster or anything, it just needs to look alright at a medium resolution. And this particular friend doesn't use Google hangouts or Facebook messenger so he's kind of a Luddite in that regard. I can email him going forward and that's exactly what I ended up doing but it's kind of a pain in the rear end if that's what I have to do now every time I want to share a quick snap with a friend.

I asked because I'm hoping there's a setting I missed or something as the Android ecosystem is brand new to me

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Even better solution: using the Google Photos app lets you share it as a link to the high quality version. Then you could send that link over sms or whatever. It works really well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ThermoPhysical posted:

But non-Samsung phones can already disable apps. :v: Though, I haven't disabled an app in about 3 years?

I'm not bashing Nexus phones or whatever you are yapping about.

If you have a subsidized purchase option still, I find the Samsung stuff great. If not, a nexus device is cheaper and you get pure Google android.

What is your point?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RZA Encryption posted:

Even better solution: using the Google Photos app lets you share it as a link to the high quality version. Then you could send that link over sms or whatever. It works really well.

realistically though 90% of the time the recipient won't need a giant file. I'm alright with some compression at some point, I just don't want to have to do it manually and don't want it to result in images with horrible artifacting

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

All I'm saying is taht if someone goes to the effort of editing their dick pics, they probably want it sent in the best quality, not artifacted and compressed to hell.

Quit judging my sex life dude, goddamn.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I genuinely don't care what anyone uses (I use Steam's IM system so am in no position to throw stones) , but I did find "quit using antiquated technology like MMS, use email, which is several decades older, instead" to be pretty funny.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

docbeard posted:

I genuinely don't care what anyone uses (I use Steam's IM system so am in no position to throw stones) , but I did find "quit using antiquated technology like MMS, use email, which is several decades older, instead" to be pretty funny.

UGH, email is not FTP! :kingsley:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

UGH, email is not FTP! :kingsley:

Yeah, like there's a better way to send this PDF of a scanned printout of the Word document I pasted the photo into.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/23/first-android-n-maintenance-update-will-probably-android-7-1/

Lol going to set a new record for smallest marketshare for a new Android version. All of one LG phone going to be on 7.0 ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Better not. 7.1 won't be out for 3 months.