Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Abu Dave posted:

I really liked Hog Illustrations format so I stole it for my own, wondering if you guys could help me out, I really need it. Like I said earlier my problem is I've only had one job in my life and I rose through the ranks very fast.

So I wasn't sure waht the best way of formatting for it would be, so I tried my hand. I also don't think i'm giving my current occupation that much credit, but before I edited it a bit all of the "other projects" portion where below that current job occupation heading. Should I move them back? I feel like they don't correlate to my job title but theyre all things I've done under the current job title

link

I really would love to get it to be all on one page so I debated on dropping some of those projects or the technical skills in general.

The TripAdvisor stuff I wasn't sure about, but in my current occupation it's a big dealŠ so I put it on there. I'm sure other real companies don't care but I wasn't sure. Any help is appreciated goons love you.

e; I DO have another job I could put on there, involving the ski industry, but it's a lovely entry level job that I still hold onto now a days for funsies. I'm not sure if it's worth putting on though, but I guess I could?

Also what are you guys opinions on volunteering and listing that?

Why is the 2013-present job below the the 2007 job? You look like you have a lot of experience in customer relations, but your resume format is a bit convoluted. If you want another job in customer relations, organize your resume to show a progression in responsibility. If you're going another direction, organize it to show a progression in that direction. You appear to have the experience to go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

One final request for help: here's the summary I put at the top of my resume instead of relevant coursework. The thing I'm not 100% on is describing myself as entry level, but it is accurate and I feel it gives prospective employers/recruiters a sense of what type of position I'm looking for

"Entry-level electrical engineer with project experience in firmware design, digital electronics design, PCB layout, schematic capture, and board-level debugging. Two years of real-world experience as a field service engineer, where I have solved challenging problems in high-pressure manufacturing environments."

I don't agree with putting a summary as the points in the summary should be in the resume under other sections, but if you're going to have one then you should tailor it specifically to each job as a way to highlight skills and technologies that the job posting required.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Speaking as a dude that hires entry level engineers, I don't read summary statements. I go to the first listed job to asses your experience. If it's entry level, I look at your degree. After that, I've made my decision and everything else is meaningless. That's just me,though.

asur posted:

I don't agree with putting a summary as the points in the summary should be in the resume under other sections, but if you're going to have one then you should tailor it specifically to each job as a way to highlight skills and technologies that the job posting required.

I feel like the project where I developed the skills listed in the summary are my most impressive. How should I highlight them? Move skills to the top?

Dik Hz, in my case my most recent job was a stupid decision, and I didn't learn any real listable skills other than generic electronics troubleshooting. How do I get around this?

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 15, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dik Hz posted:

Why is the 2013-present job below the the 2007 job? You look like you have a lot of experience in customer relations, but your resume format is a bit convoluted. If you want another job in customer relations, organize your resume to show a progression in responsibility. If you're going another direction, organize it to show a progression in that direction. You appear to have the experience to go either way.

Cool thanks for the help,I had it set up this way because that was a side job and not really a full job; it was something I did on weekends.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Had my first staffing agency experience today. Was invited in by a recruiter for a temp-to-hire position yesterday, went in this morning and was asked to fill out a bunch of electronic documents. It all seemed a little sketchy, so I asked the receptionist what signing the documents meant for me as it pertained to the staffing agency. I was told that I'd essentially be their employee after signing, but before even interviewing for the first assignment. Seemed like a really lovely setup that is rife for abuse, so I declined to sign and walked out. I'm confident that I made the right choice, but does anyone here have similar experiences?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Had my first staffing agency experience today. Was invited in by a recruiter for a temp-to-hire position yesterday, went in this morning and was asked to fill out a bunch of electronic documents. It all seemed a little sketchy, so I asked the receptionist what signing the documents meant for me as it pertained to the staffing agency. I was told that I'd essentially be their employee after signing, but before even interviewing for the first assignment. Seemed like a really lovely setup that is rife for abuse, so I declined to sign and walked out. I'm confident that I made the right choice, but does anyone here have similar experiences?

Staffing agencies are like this. Use Google to see if the agency doesn't suck or not

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

vyst posted:

Staffing agencies are like this. Use Google to see if the agency doesn't suck or not

Guess I was just unaware going in that that was the way things worked. I thought temp-to-hire meant that I was a temp for the company that might eventually make the full-time hire, not the agency itself. The reviews on Google for the place were poo poo, which made me even more happy that I walked out on it.

Say I find a better agency, though, and sign up with them. What happens if, in between finding an assignment through them, I find full-time employment with another company? Do I just "quit" the staffing agency?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Guess I was just unaware going in that that was the way things worked. I thought temp-to-hire meant that I was a temp for the company that might eventually make the full-time hire, not the agency itself.
No, temp-to-hire everywhere I've seen means you're a temp through a staffing agency. You are not an employee of the company that has your contract.

illcendiary posted:

Say I find a better agency, though, and sign up with them. What happens if, in between finding an assignment through them, I find full-time employment with another company? Do I just "quit" the staffing agency?
Yep.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Good to know, thanks!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

I feel like the project where I developed the skills listed in the summary are my most impressive. How should I highlight them? Move skills to the top?

Dik Hz, in my case my most recent job was a stupid decision, and I didn't learn any real listable skills other than generic electronics troubleshooting. How do I get around this?
Emphasize the troubleshooting aspect. The ability to independently solve problems without oversight is rare, even among highly educated engineers. Also, if you're applying to client facing roles, emphasize your client interactions. The ability to interact well with clients is relatively uncommon among electrical engineers.

Take each job you want to apply to. List out the most important qualifications for that job. Then go and tweak your resume to lead with the most relevant parts. Each resume you send out should be custom tailored to the position you're applying for. It's a lot of work, but it gives results.

Honestly, your resume reads like someone who's paid their dues and is looking to move up. Not like someone who made a stupid decision. Don't self-sabotage.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I was hoping to get some feedback on my resumes. I've been applying for months and receiving very few calls back. :bang:

First one is for office work:
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/yCsOVSX.png)

Second one is for food service:
[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/uAEtRS1.png)

I've been unemployed for almost a year (well, I wrote a short novel I'm trying to market) and have moved to a university town and boy howdy do I need a job with benefits quick. I'm not going to school, my wife is. I'm ready to work full time.

The best lead I have is a filmmaking job for a major medical organization. Problem is I may need to volunteer/intern for a few months at first and we're running out of money. I took a test for a police dispatcher job (POST exam) and I'm waiting on results from that, too. I applied for over a dozen positions at the university, but have only heard back from one.

Any input is welcome and appreciated.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

vyst posted:

To add onto this, how did you learn how to do it? I'd much rather know a programmer that works to expand their library into areas might be unfamiliar to them. Initiative, and all of that.
I can't not learn something if a project needs to be done. Cloud VM isn't provisioning, but Terraform doesn't support specifying boot diagnostics parameters on Azure virtual machines so you can log why? Better get coding on that. Oh, you don't know Golang to do that? Sounds like that's going to add a few hours to the project. Everything to fill a need, spackle over the gaps and make it pretty afterwards.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

I was hoping to get some feedback on my resumes. I've been applying for months and receiving very few calls back. :bang:

I've been unemployed for almost a year (well, I wrote a short novel I'm trying to market) and have moved to a university town and boy howdy do I need a job with benefits quick. I'm not going to school, my wife is. I'm ready to work full time.

The best lead I have is a filmmaking job for a major medical organization. Problem is I may need to volunteer/intern for a few months at first and we're running out of money. I took a test for a police dispatcher job (POST exam) and I'm waiting on results from that, too. I applied for over a dozen positions at the university, but have only heard back from one.

I'd put education at the bottom and lead with employment instead.

And chase up the 11 positions at the university. And look for bar work.

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BBQ Dave posted:

If you're a writer and have experience producing marketing materials, your resume should be devoid of typos. Make your style choices consistent throughout as well. Match verb tenses, Oxford comma or not, list format, etc.

I don't know your industry, so I can only offer generic advice. Lead each bullet with an action verb. Lead with your experience, not your education. My initial reaction to your resume was that you were looking for a job in film, since that was at the top of your resume.

I'm confused by your Deli experience. Were you filling 3 roles, or were you promoted 2 times? If the latter, break each into its own subheading to show a progression of more and more responsibility.

Also, the fact that you got married and that you're into competitive BBQ does not belong on a professional marketing document.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 17, 2016

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm having trouble figuring out how best to show progression within a role. I work for a large telecom, and I'm a union employee, and I've worked here in the same job title for 5 1/2 years. It kind of looks like this:

Hired 2010, title Fiber Customer Support Analyst
Standard phone schlub, took first-line customer calls

Joined escalations team
Worked escalated/complex issues

Still on escalations team, now informal lead
Worked on new product launches, very complex issues, wrote a bunch of process, wrote/delivered a bunch of trainings, SME for like 6 products

The problem is that I never changed job titles - I'm union, there IS no other title. Would it be inappropriate to do something like this?

Employer Name
Fiber Customer Support Analyst - May 2010 to Present

Escalations Lead - April 2013 to Present
Lead stuff

Escalations - January 2012 to April 2013
Escalations stuff

May 2010 to January 2012
Basic first-line support stuff

If so, any ideas for how to cram it into those bullshit "upload your resume then retype your whole resume into our awkward form" applications?

you ate my cat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 18, 2016

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Make up any job title you like and have one simple block of info without dates on a separate doc.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Dik Hz posted:

I'm confused by your Deli experience. Were you filling 3 roles, or were you promoted 2 times? If the latter, break each into its own subheading to show a progression of more and more responsibility.

I was promoted twice, yes. I'll try this in a couple different ways to make this clearer.

Thanks to everyone for the notes, I'll get to work on it. I'll get the typos and take out the competitive BBQ married thing

Thanks again!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

BBQ Dave posted:

Thanks to everyone for the notes, I'll get to work on it. I'll get the typos and take out the competitive BBQ married thing

Honestly, I don't think the BBQ thing would necessarily be bad/unprofessional if he's applying to companies that profess to want some 'fun' about their candidates. Unless you're applying to PETA or something. It shows some amount of personality and dedication to a craft, and people might secretly hope you bring in piles of meat if you work there.

The married thing is really unnecessary though and has nothing to do with your job. If you want to play up the stable man thing, wear your wedding ring to the interview if you get it. Then again, I'm a woman under 35 so advertising that I'm married is going to not matter at best and actively work against me at worst.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

It shows some amount of personality and dedication to a craft, and people might secretly hope you bring in piles of meat if you work there.

That's what I was thinking, but there really isn't any blatant "fun" in most of the positions I'm going for. I think I should keep it on the food management resume, though, since I didn't go to culinary school and it proves I can at least cook one thing pretty good.

Married is out!

Thanks!

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

Make up any job title you like and have one simple block of info without dates on a separate doc.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean about the separate doc. Separate from my resume? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I haven't applied for a job I needed a resume for in something like 10 years, so I'm pretty rusty at it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Separate document is just for:

any ideas for how to cram it into those bullshit "upload your resume then retype your whole resume into our awkward form" applications?

Just don't use too much formatting in the first place.

Infinite Katzenjammer
Aug 17, 2004
Some lengthy context for my relatively short questions: I'm a Ph.D. who loves his research and teaching, which includes technology forecasting, user interface research, technical communication, and the sociology of science and technology in different combinations. However, I'm planning to move. I'm considering working outside of an academic institution due to some of the prospective timetables for the move not lining up with the academic job market's schedule. My experience fits with a lot of open research analyst and research director positions. I have read up on the differences between the academic CV and the resume to keep in mind, so my questions involve some finer points.

For a lot of the positions to which I am applying, I would be the first person working for the firm in my areas of expertise. I am also aware that the person reading my resume should not be assumed to have a lot of prior knowledge about what the work involves in any case. For those reasons, I'm looking for opinions on some of the language I should use to describe my experience and skills. I'll be tailoring these things depending on the position (if the job explicitly asks for a technology forecaster, I'm not going to sweat about referring to the Delphi method by name, for example). However, I'm looking for opinions on the terms I'm using that don't belong to such specific areas of research.

Due to the nature of the jobs, I've split my "Research Methods" skills section into "Data Gathering" and "Data Analysis."

Under data gathering, I'm wondering if I should use "Ethnography" or "Case Study." Some of the ads use the term ethnography, so there's no question there, but I'm wondering if I should use case study, the broader term, in other cases.

In the same section, I'm wondering if I should use "Archival Research" or the more specific "Patent Research" even though the latter doesn't cover the range of my archival experience.

In the data analysis section, would "statistical analysis" be adequate for positions not asking for any particular statistical expertise? Alternatives would be listing the specific statistical methods I have the most experience using beneath statistical analysis or in its place entirely (or something else that hasn't occurred to me).

Thanks for any feedback you have to offer. Nearly all of my friends are career academics at this point, so their view of these terms is muddied by a lot of disciplinary baggage and they have little recent experience applying to outside positions.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Infinite Katzenjammer posted:

Some lengthy context for my relatively short questions: I'm a Ph.D. who loves his research and teaching, which includes technology forecasting, user interface research, technical communication, and the sociology of science and technology in different combinations. However, I'm planning to move. I'm considering working outside of an academic institution due to some of the prospective timetables for the move not lining up with the academic job market's schedule. My experience fits with a lot of open research analyst and research director positions. I have read up on the differences between the academic CV and the resume to keep in mind, so my questions involve some finer points.

For a lot of the positions to which I am applying, I would be the first person working for the firm in my areas of expertise. I am also aware that the person reading my resume should not be assumed to have a lot of prior knowledge about what the work involves in any case. For those reasons, I'm looking for opinions on some of the language I should use to describe my experience and skills. I'll be tailoring these things depending on the position (if the job explicitly asks for a technology forecaster, I'm not going to sweat about referring to the Delphi method by name, for example). However, I'm looking for opinions on the terms I'm using that don't belong to such specific areas of research.

Due to the nature of the jobs, I've split my "Research Methods" skills section into "Data Gathering" and "Data Analysis."

Under data gathering, I'm wondering if I should use "Ethnography" or "Case Study." Some of the ads use the term ethnography, so there's no question there, but I'm wondering if I should use case study, the broader term, in other cases.

In the same section, I'm wondering if I should use "Archival Research" or the more specific "Patent Research" even though the latter doesn't cover the range of my archival experience.

In the data analysis section, would "statistical analysis" be adequate for positions not asking for any particular statistical expertise? Alternatives would be listing the specific statistical methods I have the most experience using beneath statistical analysis or in its place entirely (or something else that hasn't occurred to me).

Thanks for any feedback you have to offer. Nearly all of my friends are career academics at this point, so their view of these terms is muddied by a lot of disciplinary baggage and they have little recent experience applying to outside positions.

Not a PhD, but I did masters work in a similar field and made a similar transition. (Informatics/social computing academia to systems analysis and now data science).

You are almost certainly overthinking this.

For industry jobs, I typically used a broad descriptor ("Statistical analysis") and then included a short, more granular list of methodologies/applications. So, on my resume it says:
"Statistical analysis (including predictive analysis and regression modeling in R)."
(You could use 'archival research (including patent research)'.)

For non stat jobs, just "statistical analysis" should be fine. But obviously be ready to discuss specifics of method and application later if needed.

Why can't you use "ethnographic case study"?

During the interviews is when you can further detail specific instances and uses of different methods.

Curious to hear what other insight people may have.

Infinite Katzenjammer
Aug 17, 2004

Bitchkrieg posted:

You are almost certainly overthinking this.

Thanks for the response, and I'm sure you're right. In a lot of ways, these questions are about confirming where I'm overthinking these things. I tell students that a lot of PhD research involves becoming aware of all the things you don't know around the few things you will come to know better than just about everyone else. So, I'm very conscious of the negative space around my knowledge and of not misrepresenting the scope of my experience by using big, encompassing terms. At the same time, I'm trying to avoid underselling myself by presenting my skills in an unnecessarily narrow manner. I'm comfortable having a conversation about everything I do, and your point about saving some things for the interview is well taken. I'm working to strike the right balance of including everything necessary to ensure I get to that point and nothing more that might confuse a non-researcher doing the initial candidate review or otherwise prevent the interview from happening. At the same time, some of these firms don't have a set direction for their new research efforts, that's why they're hiring someone like me, so I can't just check some established boxes. I'm finding it a weirdly satisfying challenge.

Regarding the ethnography bit: When I asked that question I was thinking of ethnography as one kind of case study within the scope of the all-source intelligence case studies I've done. In that mindset, I was thinking of using "case study" as an encompassing label if people thought that ethnography could be an unfamiliar in certain contexts. On second thought, if I was using case study in that broader way I might as well knock out "interviewing," "surveying," and other specific data gathering methods, which seems unwise. I could use "field work" if other people think ethnography might not be a familiar enough term.

On archival research and statistics: Without preempting others' opinions on the matter, I agree with your recommendations. I did have R and SPSS listed under a software heading along with my otherwise limited programming skills and the design tools I use to publicize research, but they work nicely to elaborate the statistical analysis entry (being part of statistical analysis also provides context for R and SPSS to anyone reading the resume that might be unfamiliar with those packages). I now wonder if I could/should incorporate the other things under the software heading into the (previously unmentioned) communication skills heading to better show their relevance to the work I do.

One additional question:

Is it generally worth appending "qualitative and quantitative" to my methods where appropriate (namely interviewing and surveying)? I have no inclination either way on this one, but I've seen people do so.

If it would help anyone, I'll share a draft of my resume when I finish the initial design phase.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Infinite Katzenjammer posted:

If it would help anyone, I'll share a draft of my resume when I finish the initial design phase.
It would help quite a bit. Just keep in mind that a resume is a marketing document, not just a list of qualifications. Instead of listing technical qualifications, show what you did with them.

Like, instead of saying "Proficient with survey design methods.", you might say "Designed targeted surveys that reduced measurement uncertainty from 8.0% to 2.5%"

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Apologies if this is a violation of this rule:

Bisty Q. posted:

Please don't post your resume in here asking for feedback, unless you promise you have followed everything above. 99% of resume feedback could be an index card with the stuff I posted on it.
but I could use some help with this aspect of resume writing:

Bisty Q. posted:

• The one weird old tip that your doctor hates, discovered by a mom that will set you apart from anybody else: your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience. You need to sell, sell, sell how you stood out in every single job.
  • Numbers, metrics, and performance stats are your friend. "Sold over $30,000 worth of widgets to 294 separate accounts during December" vs. "Responsible for the sale of widgets for the Northeastern division" -- which one do you care about? Who cares if the best widget seller sold $1,000,000 worth of widgets? Nobody else knows that!

Namely the metrics and performance stats aspect.
Part of the problem is that I don't have a great deal of work/volunteer/internship experience to begin with. I've been finishing school/dealing with illness so from the last 5 years I have volunteering with refugees as an english tutor, working as an english teacher in Turkey, 3 months working with refugees as an Arabic Medical Interpreter (I was looking for an internship, ended up being a job), and roughly two years working as a student cataloger in my university library which at least included some specific projects I can talk about. I'm in my 20's so prior to all this it was just a couple bs high school jobs. Incidentally I'm looking more at entry level office/clerical/customer support positions than opportunities to use my Arabic.

The following is more or less what I've been using (with some adaptations for different positions):
    Library Cataloguer, Organization Name Here
    January-October 2013, July 2014-December 2014
    Evaluated and created records for new Arabic materials.
    Performed research on authors and rarer books for record creation.
    Designed and completed digital map of Special Collections stacks.
    Headed project to identify and record lost Special Collections items.

Medical Interpreter, Organization Name Here
    June-August 2013
    Interpreted for Iraqi refugees.
    Conveyed and safeguarded confidential information.

Private English Tutor, Freelance - Istanbul
    May-August 2012
    Designed curriculum and teaching plans.
    Tutored individual students and small groups.

English Tutor, Organization Name Here
    December 2011-May 2012
    Helped Iraqi refugees improve fluency and adapt to life in the US.
I have an appointment to talk with someone from the library this week to at least get an idea of the size of the collections I was working with and rough numbers for the projects I worked on. Also not sure if I should consolidate the dates for that job into Jan 2013-Dec 2014 or leave the gap? I received glowing evaluations every quarter/semester (however often they did them) but from what I've read that doesn't really help me (especially since my manager/supervisor has since retired). Any suggestions are welcome.

Apologies again if this is the wrong thread or if I haven't provided enough info, thanks.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You could talk about your pupils' results. That's sort of an accomplishment.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Apologies if this question has been asked/answered before

I've an interview coming up with a National Statistics Office and one of the questions they always throw at me (and I always seem to fall down on in my mind, because I'm terrible at interviews in general), is "There is this report that has to be completed for this release and you're going to miss it. How do you proceed?" The interviewer questioning is super strict on the release date ("Has to be released X date") so I'm wondering how to proceed. I generally go with "talk to supervisor & explain problem -> request extension if possible (They really shut me down here) -> Make a note on what I did wrong and try to improve my time-management so it doesn't happen again."

I also have to examine a page of purely numerical data and do an oral presentation on it, identifying trends and discussing the methodology. That's gonna be fun. :sigh: Report of key items first then move onto major trends next I guess?

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 22, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Breath Ray posted:

You could talk about your pupils' results. That's sort of an accomplishment.
Basically this. If you can't answer for a hiring manager how you determined whether or not you were doing a good job, what the hell were you doing there?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

School Nickname posted:

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered before

I've an interview coming up with a National Statistics Office and one of the questions they always throw at me (and I always seem to fall down on in my mind, because I'm terrible at interviews in general), is "There is this report that has to be completed for this release and you're going to miss it. How do you proceed?" The interviewer questioning is super strict on the release date ("Has to be released X date") so I'm wondering how to proceed. I generally go with "talk to supervisor & explain problem -> request extension if possible (They really shut me down here) -> Make a note on what I did wrong and try to improve my time-management so it doesn't happen again."

I also have to examine a page of purely numerical data and do an oral presentation on it, identifying trends and discussing the methodology. That's gonna be fun. :sigh: Report of key items first then move onto major trends next I guess?
Ugh, that question is a sign of a bad interviewer. It's a less direct version of the question, "What number am I thinking of?"

Because, for some people, the correct answer would be, "I would never be in that situation because I always meet my deadlines." But that answer would piss off other people. Some people get pissed if you ask too many clarifying questions and other get pissed if you don't. You could always STAR a time you missed a deadline and hope that comes close enough.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there any sort of rule for what to put in an email when sending in a cover letter and resume? I usually just put in a few sentences saying I'd like to apply for the position, list a couple areas of strength, and put in a thank you, how to contact me and that I look forward to hearing from them but I'm not really sure if that's too much/enough.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there any sort of rule for what to put in an email when sending in a cover letter and resume? I usually just put in a few sentences saying I'd like to apply for the position, list a couple areas of strength, and put in a thank you, how to contact me and that I look forward to hearing from them but I'm not really sure if that's too much/enough.

I would just make the email my cover letter and also attach it in case they want to pass it on.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

asur posted:

I would just make the email my cover letter and also attach it in case they want to pass it on.

This. just make the email your cover letter and also attach it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Ugh, that question is a sign of a bad interviewer. It's a less direct version of the question, "What number am I thinking of?"

Because, for some people, the correct answer would be, "I would never be in that situation because I always meet my deadlines." But that answer would piss off other people. Some people get pissed if you ask too many clarifying questions and other get pissed if you don't. You could always STAR a time you missed a deadline and hope that comes close enough.
Given that this is a terribly vague question, I'd treat it as a Fermi problem and start dissecting the premise.

• How do we know I'm going to miss the deadline? In this scenario, why have I fallen behind?
  • How much time do we have to either course-correct or start doing damage control?
  • Assuming we already have a contingency protocol in place for releasing an addendum or erratum, and that handles the worst case -- what do we have to put together to start making a Hail Mary play to get this thing out the door?
  • Can we pull anyone else off less time-sensitive projects to help out? Do we have any relationships with contractors we can tap within a short period of time to handle independent portions of the analysis?
  • If we have to drop some information from the report to keep the timetable, what's the least critical?
  • Within the bounds that we've already deemed acceptable, can we sacrifice accuracy (increase margin of error) anywhere in the interest of shipping this?

Bottom line: if the deadline is fixed, and you can't change the deadline, you have to either work smarter or alter the scope of work being delivered. These questions should largely be adaptable into statements about how you would proceed if they don't like the back-and-forth format.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 24, 2016

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What are some things I can write in my cover letter when the job listing doesn't have a whole lot of requirements?

Also in this cover letter: the person I'm addressing it to is presumably the person I'll be working for (the only name I could find in the posting)and has a Ph.D. The position is as a research assistant. Should I address this person as Dr. Firstname Lastname?

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 24, 2016

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Given that this is a terribly vague question, I'd treat it as a Fermi problem and start dissecting the premise.

• How do we know I'm going to miss the deadline? In this scenario, why have I fallen behind?
  • How much time do we have to either course-correct or start doing damage control?
  • Assuming we already have a contingency protocol in place for releasing an addendum or erratum, and that handles the worst case -- what do we have to put together to start making a Hail Mary play to get this thing out the door?
  • Can we pull anyone else off less time-sensitive projects to help out? Do we have any relationships with contractors we can tap within a short period of time to handle independent portions of the analysis?
  • If we have to drop some information from the report to keep the timetable, what's the least critical?
  • Within the bounds that we've already deemed acceptable, can we sacrifice accuracy (increase margin of error) anywhere in the interest of shipping this?

Bottom line: if the deadline is fixed, and you can't change the deadline, you have to either work smarter or alter the scope of work being delivered. These questions should largely be adaptable into statements about how you would proceed if they don't like the back-and-forth format.

What a great post. Saving for future reference. STAR response could follow if pressed by the interviewer.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Been unemployed for 2 years now.

Was just interviewed for a CRM developer position by a headhunter agency. My question is about the dreaded salary inquiries:

Interview went well, and the last thing he said to me was what I wanted in pay-level. I tried dodging the question, hence he said "I'll ask again; what is your pay-level?". To which I tried dodging it again, and he repeated "I'll ask again and I need an answer because if the company expects X salary and you say Y salary, this ends here and now." To which I said a number he seemed to be okay with (and I would be okay with too, tbh).

Felt good during the whole chat and really uncomfortable when pressed for an answer. I caved because I really need a job and have been needing one for 2 years, and didn't want to gently caress up by eliminating myself from the second interview round simply by "holding my ground" and refusing to say a number at all.

I guess it's different when meeting a headhunter than meeting directly with the company; and he actually has to have a number or the headhunter isn't doing his job?

This was for a very high level position compared to my education and background, and frankly I thought they had maybe made a mistake/oversight by even calling me in, so I'm not betting on getting it anyway, but I would like some insights from you guys.

Have another interview on Tuesday though, at a job level I am more sure I will get or fit into easier. Things looking up hopefully, after only dead silence from any employer, for the longest time.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 24, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

they need a hard number so they know how much to charge the client and see how much commission they will make.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Headhunters make 10% of your salary when you start so they're not going to make you work for peanuts.

e. bollocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

vyst posted:

they need a hard number so they know how much to charge the client and see how much commission they will make.

Breath Ray posted:

Headhunters make 10% of your salary when you start so they're not going to make you work for peanuts.

e. bollocks

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess that's all there is to it, then? Thanks, guys. Really hoping for that second interview with the next company on Tuesday.