Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part of me wants to pick the Grove backpack because I mostly play my sylvari, but the Rata Sum and Hoelbrak ones look cooler. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Do you need a character of the corresponding race to get the backpack? If so, RIP me and my 10 size 00 women's DR backpacks.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The DR bday backpack has a loving fedora on it lmao

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

... It's a alpine hat.

Yep, it appears to be an Alpine hat, also known as a Tyrolean hat. :eng101:

What are these backpacks for? 4th Birthday?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Hang on, if you bought something on sale for 800 gems, had it rolled back and it was now back to 1000 gems, would you need to buy another lot of 800 gems just to get 200 back? (assume you spent all your gold on exos or something and had nothing liquid to make up 200 from) Cause that would suck, a lot. Would they refund the gold if you did have stuff to liquidate?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ineptitude posted:

What are the various "meta builds" for higher end content? (raids and high fractals)

I have played HoT open map metas and Silverwastes extensively now and i would like to try some more organised group content.

The reason i ask is i want to start making ascended stuff (i have enough materials for several weapons and enough currency for at least 2 sets of trinkets) for a profession/stat i enjoy playing.

From what i have gathered so far:
PS Warrior (is this power?)
Herald (im assuming zerker gear)
Chronomancer (im assuming boon duration gear and zerk)
Condi necro
Heal druid (zerk or condi?)

What other professions with which stats are "meta" for organised content?

Obligatory links to MetaBattle and qT guides:
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Fractal
http://metabattle.com/wiki/Raid
http://qtfy.enjin.com/builds

Summarized Answer:
PS Warrior - PS stands for Phalanx Strength. It is usually a power build but also has a condi variant. Highly appreciated in fractals, 1-2 required in raid meta.

Herald - Yes, also a power build. Less desired than Warrior, but having exactly 1 in any 10-man raid is meta.

Chronomancer - You got it. Highly appreciated in fractals, exactly 1 required in raid meta.

Condi necro - The king of fractal meta, and the go-to for condition damage in raids, but on thin ice due to only being useful due to Epidemic. Wing 3 has shown favor to power builds and classes, and one change could drop Necros out of the meta.

Heal Druid - There are actually 3 builds: Zerk offheal, Viper condi offheal, and Magi full healbot. Highly appreciated in fractals, so much that 1 Druid and 4 condi necros is the easymode meta. 1-2 required in raid meta.

Rounding it out,
Guardian - Much better since the patch, but still a stigma against them for Fractals due to Area Retaliation. In weird spot in raid meta for being slightly less DPS than thief and slightly less utility than Tempest.

Thief - Raw top power damage in Fractals (no one gives a poo poo about stealth in current meta), and condi damage is still the absurd king, so not in the fractal meta. Best DPS filler in raid meta, but otherwise replaceable and forgettable.

Engineer - At this point everyone knows this class is too hard to play for the little value or benefit gained. Not in either meta.

Elementalist - Ugh, you're downed again? Not in Fractal meta, unless you take the role of the healbot in the above 4 necro 1 healer comp. In raid Staff DPS is still quite good for the large hitbox fights, if you aren't poo poo. And more people are slowly buying into the 1 Druid 1 Ele healer comp. But otherwise, while technically still meta in raids, they are begrudgingly brought along as stigma against Thief is slowly evaporating.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

What are these backpacks for? 4th Birthday?

Yep. It's tied to an achievement, too, so you can only get one. Maybe you'll get a chance to pick another when it's 5th birthday time.

I am having a very hard time deciding whether I want to go for the Grove one because it makes sense for my sylvari, or the Rata Sum one because it looks kinda neat :ohdear:

AnacondaHL posted:

Chronomancer - You got it. Highly appreciated in fractals, exactly 1 required in raid meta.

Perhaps my favorite part about Chronomancer--other than it just being fun to play--is how much everyone loves having a Mesmer around now, and not just for skips.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Illuyankas posted:

Hang on, if you bought something on sale for 800 gems, had it rolled back and it was now back to 1000 gems, would you need to buy another lot of 800 gems just to get 200 back? (assume you spent all your gold on exos or something and had nothing liquid to make up 200 from) Cause that would suck, a lot. Would they refund the gold if you did have stuff to liquidate?

I imagine if you talk to customer support in that situation, they would give you the item and the gem difference if you had the extra gems before. They did say to contact them if you lost gems/stuff in the rollback and did not get them back or there was a price difference now.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Harrow posted:

Yep. It's tied to an achievement, too, so you can only get one. Maybe you'll get a chance to pick another when it's 5th birthday time.

Hahahahaha seriously?

Man, Anet sure does hate their longtime player base. "Well, we certainly can't let anyone have all these skins because, uhhhhhhh.... Reasons!"

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Lonk posted:

I imagine if you talk to customer support in that situation, they would give you the item and the gem difference if you had the extra gems before. They did say to contact them if you lost gems/stuff in the rollback and did not get them back or there was a price difference now.

No worries, I'd bought it before the rollback so I'm fine.

Also looking forward to seeing the Shadow Abyss dye price drop like a rock, thrown into an abyss

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Schpyder posted:

Hahahahaha seriously?

Man, Anet sure does hate their longtime player base. "Well, we certainly can't let anyone have all these skins because, uhhhhhhh.... Reasons!"

When you break 10,000 hours played, they mail a venomous snake to your house. It's hosed up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

When you break 10,000 hours played, they mail a venomous snake to your house. It's hosed up.

Cletus' cat killed and ate it, so he's playing another 10,000 hours just so they send him another one.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If Shadow Abyss tanks I'll be very glad I didn't go full on Forge Mode with rare dyes in hopes of getting one to sell. I've had excellent precursor luck, but I think I'm done with that for a while. 5 pre's has gotten me a lot of gear and random things, and I don't want to press my luck by investing further into the Toilet

edit: speaking of cats, I told my wife about the patch notes and shortly after she mentioned that the cats near the cooking station meowed at her when she ran up to it. that's a pretty hilarious patch update

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

:siren: CHARACTER SLOT SALE, 30% OFF FOR 560 GEMS :siren:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Illuyankas posted:

Also discount quaggans delivering your mail

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

It's just a regular copperhead. They couldn't even be hosed to send something exotic or at least make it a surprise. It's just another notch on their bedpost of how many times they've hosed their long-time player base. They should have mailed me a towel instead.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Wow boy oh boy a snake. You can't even dye it. Burn in hell, Failnet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schpyder posted:

Hahahahaha seriously?

It's one of those things I'd understand if these skins weren't already account-bound. Like, if they wanted to keep them rare and make sure people aren't just getting them to sell them, I'd get only giving you one per account. But poo poo, ArenaNet, you can be a little freer with your silly little account-bound skins, y'know?

Oh, well. At least I get more dyes.

I'll probably pick Shadow Abyss because it's expensive even though I'll probably never actually use it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't worry, they'll soon all be put into the gem store so you can purchase the rest that you want

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

gently caress YES.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Illuyankas posted:

Not falling for it this time. Take the previous advice not to buy slots if you're not going to play them. Now granted, I already have 19 characters. I even made a gimmick alt just for running HP trains. But if you're relatively new and would like to expand to one of each profession, this is probably as cheap as that's going to get.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I liked the bloodstone weapons enough that I decided to upgrade my charr daredevil's weapons, since it already fit the colour scheme

Though (as I'm sure you're all aware) I'm really bad at screenshots, some can turn out pretty cool;

Frowning!

please ignore the missing arrow

Others... less so;

Clipping!

please appreciate the inherent majesty of the charr~

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It looks good for a charr.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Oh man this character slot sale owns! I finally have one of each class... most of which aren't anywhere close to 80 and three are now level 1. Oh well, at least I can actually play everything, which is all that I ever want for GW games to begin with.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

3 slots costs 1680 gems and I don't want to spend an extra $10 to cover another 80 gems. What's the fastest way to get 28 gold other than begging? :v: My account is super poor.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Already got 10 slots, let me know when bank slots go on sale.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will definitely cave and buy a bank tab or two if they go on sale.

(Tivac's listening, right?)

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
If I didn't have so many bank tabs I wouldn't hoard as much as I do. That being said I need bank tabs to go on sale soon.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I thought that shield looked familiar.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4zbl4k/feeding_cats_there_is_more_than_we_think_we_need/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1RLreX4R8

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

That is really wonderfully weird.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Illuyankas posted:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Must feed the kitties! :D

Oh, and I realized I still have a Celebratory Dye Pack in an alt's inventory. Which flavour of dye kit should I fish from it?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bieeardo posted:

Oh, and I realized I still have a Celebratory Dye Pack in an alt's inventory. Which flavour of dye kit should I fish from it?

Taimi.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I... may have gotten enough slots to fill the remaining six gaps in my earlier image, so even though nearly half are still level 2 I have one of every race and class now! ~*excellent life choices*~

Now to pick which to level first, my oldest level 2 and norn necro Thulsa Goom (after I burn a total makeover kit to make him look more like James Earl Jones, my second highest level alt and charr warrior Meowist Infiltrator (definitely not hot to trotsky) or my new human mesmer Sonic the Ascetic (gotta go fast)?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

...the gently caress is wrong with you?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

...the gently caress is wrong with you?

Many things

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Speaking of gems, if I want to invest a little, what things are good buys? Seems like character slots, bank slots and bag slots are good choices?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Bieeardo posted:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sjonkel posted:

Speaking of gems, if I want to invest a little, what things are good buys? Seems like character slots, bank slots and bag slots are good choices?

Bag slots are per character, so don't get them unless it's a character you really really like playing and you also feel like you never have enough space on them even with 20 slot bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Copper-fed salvage kit is the best, and then bank tabs. I like the collection expander (adds 250 item space per item in the material storage per purchase) too.

And if the permanent bank access contract would be in the gemstore, I wouldn't mind paying extra for it. But 3650 gold on the TP, jebus. Although that's the one convenience item I'd really want.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 25, 2016

• Locked thread