Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
No argument there. I thought it was interesting how Stark was so into signing the Sokovia Accords when you know the second he got emotional about something he would just do his own thing anyway. And then we'd just be "Aw shucks, Tony. You ol' rascal", give him a noogie and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cythereal posted:

It can and that's undoubtedly what Marvel intended, I'm just saying the chemistry is really visible and Tony Stark has an established soft spot for romance. Cap citing romantic feelings for Bucky might very well have gotten Stark off his case in Civil War - I think Stark is the kind of guy who thinks everyone is entitled to do possibly dumb things in the name of love.

Not to mention the implication that Cap and Stark were living together (in Avengers Tower) between CA 2 and Avengers 2.
Tony can't hate Steve for breaking the rules when he thinks they're wrong, because Tony's defining trait is that he does whatever he wants and deals with the consequences later. Cap lives in a Stark building after Winter Soldier because he's part of a Stark-funded private army.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Chris Evans plays Cap as locking up a bit around women, to signal that he's a square, which means he's warmer and more open with his male friends, hence the shipping.

And, well, he does have some genuine chemistry with RDJ and Sebastian Stan in my opinion. Black Widow even comments on the Cap/Stark thing in Avengers 2.

Hell, in the comics Civil War wasn't there a one-panel thing about how in an alternate universe where Stark was a woman, there was no Civil War because Cap and Stark were married?

I'm not saying I actually think MCU Steve Rogers is intended to be gay or even bisexual, I don't think Marvel is half as brave as they'd have to be for that (I'll be shocked if we ever see a major superhero in any of these movies, Marvel or Fox or DC, as gay), but I enjoy thinking of MCU Cap is of a closeted gay man from the 1940s. Adds some interesting subtext to a character who otherwise is a bit dry and shallow.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think people insisting that there is some homosexual subtext there is my least favorite reading of a film ever. I'd be fine with it if there were, mind you, but "2 adult men who are close friends? Gaaaaaaayyyyyy" is the laziest thing ever, and I've never seen it defended better than that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe some people would just appreciate a superhero movie that embraces lgbtq relationships and look for it in subtext to feel less marginalized.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Slugworth posted:

I think people insisting that there is some homosexual subtext there is my least favorite reading of a film ever. I'd be fine with it if there were, mind you, but "2 adult men who are close friends? Gaaaaaaayyyyyy" is the laziest thing ever, and I've never seen it defended better than that.

Using any excuse to ship handsome white men together is a time honored Internet tradition.

MacheteZombie posted:

Maybe some people would just appreciate a superhero movie that embraces lgbtq relationships and look for it in subtext to feel less marginalized.

However, this is also true for some fans. I'm just annoyed at the fans who seem more interested in their ship being canon than in a well-written gay/bi Cap.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MacheteZombie posted:

Well now I feel slightly mean spirited.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Equeen posted:

However, this is also true for some fans. I'm just annoyed at the fans who seem more interested in their ship being canon than in a well-written gay/bi Cap.

At this point, Bucky and Cap's relationship is one of the best parts of the MCU's writing. I think the reason it ends up being discussed so much is because of how well written it is. It stands out more so than many of the main plots. Cap would do anything for Bucky, and it's extremely endearing.

E:

Slugworth posted:

Well now I feel slightly mean spirited.
I think I get what you were saying. That using Cap/Bucky being in romantic relationship as a dig at the MCU is lazy. I will agree with you there.

I just don't think that tends be the case, instead it's something people have latched onto because their relationship is one of the best things the MCU has going right now. (I wish the putting Bucky on ice thing was better handled though :( )

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 24, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cap doing anything to save Bucky is also a bright spot in a universe that's morally troubling in ways it refuses to really confront or even acknowledge.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Equeen posted:

Eh, I think the possible queer subtext surrounding MCU-Cap is especially interesting because here's a wonderful chance to turn the usual effeminate, limp-wristed stereotype of gay men in the media on its head. Cap is a tough, burly, manly man, as is Bucky and to a lesser extent Stark.

Still, I do acknowledge that the fact that it's Captain America is why even if Marvel had the guts to make a major character gay - which I don't think they do, nor Fox nor DC - it would never be Cap. I could see them getting away with it for Stark (who wouldn't buy him as bisexual?), Black Widow (in that extremely unfortunate fanservice-for-straight-men way that gay women are so often relegated to in television and movies), or some random minor character, but making Captain America gay or bisexual? I don't buy Marvel ever being brave enough to go there outside a one-issue what-if comic or some such.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

At this point, Bucky and Cap's relationship is one of the best parts of the MCU's writing. I think the reason it ends up being discussed so much is because of how well written it is. It stands out more so than many of the main plots. Cap would do anything for Bucky, and it's extremely endearing.

I think the thing holding it back though is that Sebastian Stan is pretty much the weakest actor in the entire sprawling Avengers ensemble.

edit: i'll concede that he would be second-weakest if they hadn't wisely killed off Quicksilver though

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

Or maybe we're cynical about the idea of a hero solving problems with only the precisely correct about of morally perfect violence.

Superheroes are a fantasy.

"it's much easier to imagine the end of the DC cinematic universe than a much more modest radical change in batman not killing." - slavoj zizek

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think the thing holding it back though is that Sebastian Stan is pretty much the weakest actor in the entire sprawling Avengers ensemble.

I can agree to this. I think he's a better character than several of the other Avengers, but Stan definitely isn't the best actor of the bunch.

Bedshaped posted:

"it's much easier to imagine the end of the DC cinematic universe than a much more modest radical change in batman not killing." - slavoj zizek

And you are free to continue preferring your fantasy of a Superman who mind wipes the woman he loves to keep his Superman secret.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Bedshaped posted:

Escapist fantasy =/= all fantasy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

Rather, it's much easier for fanboys to accept a morally lionized power fantasy whose violence is always just, does not threaten the status quo, and only targets unpeople. It's impossible for them to stomach what a superhero might really be driven to do, to have the moral imperative to do.

You're looking at this backwards. A Batman who doesn't kill, a Stark who privatizes world peace, are invitations to "turn your brain off" and go along with the "thrill ride."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

Yes, but it's somebody else's fantasy, not mine. From tasers to precision bombing, I'm sick of that fantasy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Isn't the whole secret identity thing mainly to protect the hero's family and friends? Like Green Goblin learns about Peter Parker and right away he goes after May and MJ. In the case of underpowered heroes, it's basically been there to keep snipers from taking random shots at Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson 24/7. When Kingpin outed Daredevil he ruined his whole life in Born Again.

It makes sense for some heroes but not all. Truthfully, I can't see why Superman needs it since he can just be Superman and live in his fortress of solitude all the time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Isn't the whole secret identity thing mainly to protect the hero's family and friends? Like Green Goblin learns about Peter Parker and right away he goes after May and MJ. In the case of underpowered heroes, it's basically been there to keep snipers from taking random shots at Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson 24/7. When Kingpin outed Daredevil he ruined his whole life in Born Again.

This is why Superman doesn't tell the world he's Clark Kent. It in no way justifies not telling Lois Lane, which is presumably the conversation you're following up on.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yes, but it's somebody else's fantasy, not mine. From tasers to precision bombing, I'm sick of that fantasy.

With Batman appearing in Suicide Squad to be considerably less lethal by saving Harley Quinn and trying to convince Deadshot to turn himself him, both of whom are vicious killers, and the rumours that he will once again have a no-kill rule in Justice League, do you consider this character change, if it turns out to be true, a big step backwards?

This is not me being rhetorical, I genuinely want to know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It makes sense for some heroes but not all. Truthfully, I can't see why Superman needs it since he can just be Superman and live in his fortress of solitude all the time.

The point is, for superman at least, he doesn't want to. He's a dude from Kansas with family farm and he's gonna make the whole drat family proud about going to the big city and making a name for himself. Being Superman 24/7 runs a bit counter to that. Like, Supermans ideal vision for the future is probably one where both superman is unnecessary and where he can go root for KU football at a local bar every week

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I am... I'm pretty sure if I were to flee the scene of a homicide and they caught me, I would be really really hosed. But I honestly don't know for sure, having never been involved in a homicide.

Well, your posting is killing us. Nah, I'm just kidding. You're all right.

Barudak posted:

Stephen King has an unpublished Batman story

It was published.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BiggerBoat posted:

Superman needs a secret identity so he won't go insane from the lack of human companionship. Like, I can't think of a single story where Clark is Superman 24/7 and nothing goes wrong.

Karloff posted:

With Batman appearing in Suicide Squad to be considerably less lethal by saving Harley Quinn and trying to convince Deadshot to turn himself him, both of whom are vicious killers, and the rumours that he will once again have a no-kill rule in Justice League, do you consider this character change, if it turns out to be true, a big step backwards?

No, because a more merciful Batman is positive character development.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Karloff posted:

That's a fair question.

A Batman who attempts to keep the body count down would be fine, depending on how it's done. I'll be disappointed if he's still slamming skulls into concrete walls and there's just some dialog about how they're only knocked out. Or if he uses some fanfical tech that's so good that he can disable buildings full of people without killing anyone. But if it's an authentic restriction he has to overcome, if it's a goal he has to actually work for, where he's paying a price for his idealism, that's fine with me. That could be an interesting progression of the character.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wasn't it a Steven King pullquote that got Dark Knight Returns a lot of its early mainstream crossover? I think my copy had blurbs from him and Mickey Spillane

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's also possible that Justice League Batman is simply still not a very good person, just for different reasons than at the beginning of BvS.

Or perhaps more importantly, that even if he becomes an idealist, the universe may not play along with his ideals.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wasn't it a Steven King pullquote that got Dark Knight Returns a lot of its early mainstream crossover? I think my copy had blurbs from him and Mickey Spillane

I know Stephen King wrote the introduction to one of the Sandman volumes in the early 90s. Peter Straub, Clive Barker, Harlan Ellison, Gene Wolfe, and Samuel R. Delany also wrote some of the Sandman intros.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I know Stephen King wrote the introduction to one of the Sandman volumes in the early 90s. Peter Straub, Clive Barker, Harlan Ellison, Gene Wolfe, and Samuel R. Delany also wrote some of the Sandman intros.

I still really, really, really wish we got a Clive Barker Hellblazer run/graphic novel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still really, really, really wish we got a Clive Barker Hellblazer run/graphic novel.

I'm actually kinda surprised we didn't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'd rather have an illustrated Imajica or Great and Secret Show than put Clive Barker to work on a long-running comic series which is ultimately not that challenging in terms of how it depicts the Judeo-Christian structure of the universe.

I mean I'm sure it would have been fine, it just seems like it'd be kind of limiting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or perhaps more importantly, that even if he becomes an idealist, the universe may not play along with his ideals.

Right, that's exactly what I'd hope for, one way or another.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Looking forward to movie fights using this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The real couple is Cap and Falcon. They couples dress, workout together and seem to live in the same building.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And out of loving nowhere Dark Universe (seemingly) escapes from Development Hell. According to Variety at least.

quote:

Doug Liman is set to direct the Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment adaptation of “Dark Universe” — a.k.a., “Justice League Dark.”

Scott Rudin is producing. Michael Gilio is writing the script.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

Sources also added that Liman has left the Channing Tatum “Gambit” which insiders say is a mutual split between the studio and Liman.

While plot details are being kept under wraps, the story revolves around a dark Justice League team that consists of Det. John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Zatanna and Etrigan the Demon.

The film is an ensemble focused which speaks to one of his early hits “Go”, which dealt with a similar ensemble. The film will play a major role in the new D.C. Cinematic Universe.

Not being familiar with Liman's work, what could be expect from this?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Edge of Tomorrow and Bourne Identity.

I find this:
"The film will play a major role in the new D.C. Cinematic Universe."

hard to believe. It'll probably be closer to the MCU movies featuring infinity stones but with a motherbox.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd rather have an illustrated Imajica or Great and Secret Show than put Clive Barker to work on a long-running comic series which is ultimately not that challenging in terms of how it depicts the Judeo-Christian structure of the universe.

I mean I'm sure it would have been fine, it just seems like it'd be kind of limiting.

I don't see how it's more limiting to write a new story than just put out an illustrated edition of an old one (there is a Great and Secret Show graphic novel btw)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And out of loving nowhere Dark Universe (seemingly) escapes from Development Hell Guillermo del Toro.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He's been off it for a while, unfortunately.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't see how it's more limiting to write a new story than just put out an illustrated edition of an old one (there is a Great and Secret Show graphic novel btw)

Barker adaptations tend to take massive liberties with the source material. Which I'm totally on board with, mind, despite having specific gripes with what they did in Hellraiser and Midnight Meat Train.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Barker adaptations tend to take massive liberties with the source material. Which I'm totally on board with, mind, despite having specific gripes with what they did in Hellraiser and Midnight Meat Train.

I actually really like the changes in Hellraiser, although The Hellbound Heart has its place too. I'd also say Lord of Illusions is a massive improvement over The Last Illusion (and, being another Occult Detective story, at least somewhat satisfies my desire for a Clive Barker Hellblazer story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Late for Cap/Bucky chat but Cap flexing a chopper to stop Bucky from running off was amazing and the best scene in the movie.

• Locked thread