Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think he means make a modpack

I kind of wanted to just work with Omp Sigma but it's discontinued. I had a backup save but I can't get multi mc to launch it because I'm also dumb...

Mystical realms looks good and omp sigma's mods outside the big five of thaumcraft, botania, witchery, blood magic, and arse magick were kind of lame but I liked the dungeons it included, so I still will take any help offered getting that to work again.

I have been playing with 1.10 and Psi and having fun with that.
1.10 combat is genuinely better just because you have a crowd control attack off the bat, so I'm enjoying it, but I didn't adjust ore rarity and there's no netherores or ore doubling or anything - didn't include TIC, tired of it and didn't want a half assed version - so I'm already out of iron and haven't found a diamond. Lame. Maybe I should've put in magical crops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

No, I just don't know how to get mods working. But I'm using the Technics launcher now, so whatevs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do you all clear out the lower layers of Roguelike Dungeons without things like the scythe from legacy Tinkers Construct? There's only so much bypassing I can really tolerate to find all the hidden spawners. With 1.10.2 combat mechanics, it's an overwhelming volume of monsters.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you all clear out the lower layers of Roguelike Dungeons without things like the scythe from legacy Tinkers Construct? There's only so much bypassing I can really tolerate to find all the hidden spawners. With 1.10.2 combat mechanics, it's an overwhelming volume of monsters.

TNT? use a buildcraft quarry or some other kind of quarry? computercraft turtle? Or just don't bother with it. The only thing I've found that lets me deal with those is just quarrying them, abusing Ars Magica 2 spells, or taking them out from a distance somehow. I find it easiest to just ignore them, quarry it, or don't set foot inside the dungeon, instead dig around it without setting foot inside the dungeon.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wait until you get good gear. Being really hard is the whole point.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Play on a server with a bit of lag so you can dash in, quickly grab loot, and dash out before too many monsters spawn

otherwise you want a weapon with some armor piercing, because those spiders in the hell level absolutely have diamond armor

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

Wait until you get good gear. Being really hard is the whole point.

I'm encased in steel at this point, so defense is okay. My problem is offense--and particularly the rate at which I can deal damage. I don't think enderium is a thing in 1.10.2 yet, and the weapon recharge time is tricky too. If I had a scythe, I could hit the whole crew bearing down on me in one swipe, but that isn't in the 1.10.2 Tinkers Construct for some reason. My alternate plan of a super-piston frying pan to just drive them away is no good either due to the confined space. Right now, I really only have an iron sword, and I haven't felt the need to upgrade because it was mending and unbreaking on it, so it takes care of itself. I think I'd only get another point of damage or so with steel. I have a bucket of lava that I can dump out for backup, but that has turned out to just be defensive too.

I was wondering about stuff like that rocket launcher in Mekanism. If it can blow up spawners without necessarily wrecking chests, then I would totally take pot shots at them from the other end of the hallway.

I'm stuck at the 3rd level, where they start to put lots of spawners in the walls of large rooms, so there's just tons of monsters spawning. All I can really think to do is run ahead and slam torches everywhere to reduce the spawn rate. They're just spawning faster than I can reasonably kill them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Block off hallways you haven't gone through so you aren't getting surprised attacked from behind while dealing with a spawner room. Light your way, kill all spawners as you come across them and have a good idea where they hide in the bigger, more complex rooms. The "catacombs" like area tend to be behind the white quartz blocks whereas the Nether rooms have them hiding in corners. Wear your strongest armour or start combining the copious amounts of equipment that spawned enemies will generate.

Armour piercing is key the further down you go so Tinker's Construct rapiers are really good in these fights. You could potentially handle it with Thaumcraft foci (chain lightning!) and keep yourself topped up by all the killing you're doing.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I may just be talking out my rear end but I think those spawners ignore light levels. I haven't tested that since I played with the mod ages ago so that might not be the case anymore. They're neat but also incredibly hard, it's a weird mod I kinda lovehate.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

blackflare posted:

I may just be talking out my rear end but I think those spawners ignore light levels. I haven't tested that since I played with the mod ages ago so that might not be the case anymore. They're neat but also incredibly hard, it's a weird mod I kinda lovehate.
Every pack I've played, they can be shut off with light, but it's the surrounding blocks, not the spawner itself, that checks light. So if there are dark corners in a room with a spawner, they'll still pop in there. But yeah, fighting in close enough to put a torch down is step #1, unless you have a mod like Ars Magica or Reliquary that let you put torches down at a distance, then just light it up the second you see it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

blackflare posted:

I don't fart around long enough to check, but it does look like the first three levels of spawners will shut up if I toss a torch on top of them. If not, it appears to at least severely delay them.

If I were playing Hexxit or whatever, then this would be a breeze. Or heck, Enderium tools would be a nice. In Hexxit from years back, I remember relying on a Legia Bow that shot three arrows at once. I'd throw it in that really nice enchanting table that let you pick your poison, and I'd set it to shoot flaming arrows. I was a walking napalm death machine.

Which 1.10.2 mods can I add to get that extra edge? It looks like Thaumcraft and the shock focus for making a death taser is still a big way to go. I have Botania, but I never made its toys; I lost interest in Blightfall once I had my power rig up and could harvest all the essentia I needed. It looks like the crazy weapons in Mekanism aren't in 1.10.2.

Speaking of Mekanism, where did the digital miner go? I don't have an ender quarry either, as I think somebody else reported. I have just progressive automation.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Been playing Modderation: Permabanned with some friends on a server, and I gotta say it's hilarious how all of us set out to break it in different ways. One dude went straight Project E and farming EMC, another dude built a Big Reactor that made power fairly trivial, and I set up my usual MFR/TE abusive treefarm for charcoal power in steam dynamos and we're all kinda at similar levels of breaking the poo poo out of the pack. I get not all packs are so high powered but it's still fun watching us break poo poo in completely different mods/cross-mod shenanigans.

In the end, though, I gotta say, Project E (the modern EE) is still the most broken. Duping anything is just too powerful.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't fart around long enough to check, but it does look like the first three levels of spawners will shut up if I toss a torch on top of them. If not, it appears to at least severely delay them.

If I were playing Hexxit or whatever, then this would be a breeze. Or heck, Enderium tools would be a nice. In Hexxit from years back, I remember relying on a Legia Bow that shot three arrows at once. I'd throw it in that really nice enchanting table that let you pick your poison, and I'd set it to shoot flaming arrows. I was a walking napalm death machine.

Which 1.10.2 mods can I add to get that extra edge? It looks like Thaumcraft and the shock focus for making a death taser is still a big way to go. I have Botania, but I never made its toys; I lost interest in Blightfall once I had my power rig up and could harvest all the essentia I needed. It looks like the crazy weapons in Mekanism aren't in 1.10.2.

Speaking of Mekanism, where did the digital miner go? I don't have an ender quarry either, as I think somebody else reported. I have just progressive automation.

The Sword of the Zephyr was great for crowd control in TC4. Does it still hit multiple opponents in TC5? You'd want to enchant it, obviously.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

What's the bleeding-edge modpack of choice these days?

So, are there any, or are they all still do-it-yourself right now?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

chairface posted:

Been playing Modderation: Permabanned with some friends on a server, and I gotta say it's hilarious how all of us set out to break it in different ways. One dude went straight Project E and farming EMC, another dude built a Big Reactor that made power fairly trivial, and I set up my usual MFR/TE abusive treefarm for charcoal power in steam dynamos and we're all kinda at similar levels of breaking the poo poo out of the pack. I get not all packs are so high powered but it's still fun watching us break poo poo in completely different mods/cross-mod shenanigans.

In the end, though, I gotta say, Project E (the modern EE) is still the most broken. Duping anything is just too powerful.

And that's exactly why we at Disasterpiece Theater have toned back ProjectE almost to the point where it's a great tool for making things look pretty. Almost nothing but decorative blocks and the barest, most basic things has EMC, and we've tried to close all the major loopholes we could. It's working pretty well so far.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Magmarashi posted:

So, are there any, or are they all still do-it-yourself right now?

Your best bet is probably All the Mods.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't played this game since beta and don't know anything about modding. I did, however, try out Blightfall based on goon recommendation a couple days ago. It seemed right up my alley, but the overly complex and tedious poo poo surrounding stuff like cooking and thaumcraft turned me off completely. If I wanted a minecraft experience with a greater sense of progression and challenge but without too much finicky bullshit, what would you folks suggest?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vargs posted:

I haven't played this game since beta and don't know anything about modding. I did, however, try out Blightfall based on goon recommendation a couple days ago. It seemed right up my alley, but the overly complex and tedious poo poo surrounding stuff like cooking and thaumcraft turned me off completely. If I wanted a minecraft experience with a greater sense of progression and challenge but without too much finicky bullshit, what would you folks suggest?

I can't actually think of any progression/challenge packs that don't rather require you to know at least a basic idea of what you're doing and a willingness to go through early tedium in order to eventually construct creative ways of reducing or eliminating the tedium or making Everything in order to solve a problem. Except maybe those awful combat-based ones.

You could try a skyfactory map though?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 25, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
hexxit is about discoverng and doing things and has no automation or elaborate multinstage crafting

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

hexxit is about discoverng and doing things and has no automation or elaborate multinstage crafting

I'll check this out, thanks. Basically anything that makes this game a bit more terraria-esque is ideal

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Roguelike Dungeons

Oh wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. Now I probably have to generate a new world and start over, right? Eh.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Which 1.10.2 mods can I add to get that extra edge?

ArmorPlus has some powerful (probably OP for some) armor, and the Super Star bow does insane damage.

Tinkers Alloying Addon adds in a bunch of new alloys and metals for TiCon tools, personally I find the default settings a bit eh and give no reason to really go beyond default TiCon metals, but these can be scaled in the config to give more durability, speed and damage. There's also some pretty cool modifiers the materials have, as well as annoying ones (Garishly is poo poo, avoid like the plague). I will admit, though, I am really missing Enderium tool/weapons.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

On the new DPT server. I think I broke EMC. Hurray for flat terrain of blocks of emerald. It's *only* costing 130,000 RF/t to maintain the world.

Yeah, I'm quarrying it and condensing to octuple cobblestone.

e. Heh, so much for trying to fix all the dupe exploits.

neogeo0823 posted:

And that's exactly why we at Disasterpiece Theater have toned back ProjectE almost to the point where it's a great tool for making things look pretty. Almost nothing but decorative blocks and the barest, most basic things has EMC, and we've tried to close all the major loopholes we could. It's working pretty well so far.

Ehhhhhh. Maybe.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does Life in the Woods run horribly in general, or is it just me? Its got lower frames than I'd like in general, but it is just about unplayable with shaders on. I also have a weird reproducible crash that happens when I try to walk in a certain direction from my current save.

To be fair about the shaders, I find that most modpacks with shaders run like poo poo, which sucks because I can play modern games on high quality with no real issue. I know MC in general is a more CPU related thing, but aren't the shaders actually on the GPU?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thats the second time Ars Magica reset my spell points back to 3 (the starting amount). Still keep my mana and spells but cant create any new spells unless I cheat them back in. Which is fine on single player, but on a server that could get to be a pain in the rear end.
Over all though it is a pretty fun mod.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

Thats the second time Ars Magica reset my spell points back to 3 (the starting amount). Still keep my mana and spells but cant create any new spells unless I cheat them back in. Which is fine on single player, but on a server that could get to be a pain in the rear end.
Over all though it is a pretty fun mod.

I have to ask if you are using the latest version and the last time you reinstalled the pack, as well as if there are any other mods that might be unstable. Sometimes modpacks get corrupted or something and have to be reinstalled.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

SugarAddict posted:

I have to ask if you are using the latest version and the last time you reinstalled the pack, as well as if there are any other mods that might be unstable. Sometimes modpacks get corrupted or something and have to be reinstalled.

I am using using FTB Lite with quite a few additions. It is the last release of AM2 And in general this has been the most stable Minecraft has been in awhile. No real crashes in quite a bit.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vargs posted:

I'll check this out, thanks. Basically anything that makes this game a bit more terraria-esque is ideal

Hexxit is cool, but horrifically outdated, if that matters to you. Unfortunately there hasn't been a good replacement since then.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Natural Magic was the closest thing I had found. BulletPhases RPG pack, but I don't know if that is even around anymore. It is frustrating that every modpack is the exact same 100 mods over and over. Hexxit was good for its simplicity. It added a bunch of adventuring stuff and that was pretty much it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

Hexxit is cool, but horrifically outdated, if that matters to you. Unfortunately there hasn't been a good replacement since then.

There hasn't been any real replacement for Yogbox besides Hexxit, which is a semi-replacement. Gonna always miss Minions Mod, I think the last server I played on that had it, I was the only one that could understand the controls and I loved the hell out of it (and everyone liked me because I used it so well) because I used it to dig the team's hideout with nice big rooms with almost no effort with very little time.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 26, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The last modpacks I really enjoyed that weren't kinda feeling halfassed were Obscurity, Blightfall, and ME^4. HAve any other worthwhile modpacks in that sort of HQM/goal oriented style come out lately or is everything still too unstable from the move to 1.10?

As much fun as learning a lot of mods for the first time were i'm not as interested in kitchen sink modpacks that just have you build modpack stuff entirely for their own sake at this point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh my god making blocks of metal from the smelter in 1.10 tinker construct is infuriatingly slow now

why is it so slow now

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Acne Rain posted:

Oh my god making blocks of metal from the smelter in 1.10 tinker construct is infuriatingly slow now

why is it so slow now

Because ~my vision~ and ~realism~. I checked the config and there's nothing to reset the speed to normal.

e. Imagine, the guy could have forced you to make TE cryotheum and pipe it into the basins to cool the blocks of metal or else it would take minutes for each block.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Haha ditto on the block cooling. When I first saw that, I thought it was cute, but then I wanted my drat blocks to cool.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Haha ditto on the block cooling. When I first saw that, I thought it was cute, but then I wanted my drat blocks to cool.
Same, the only change to the whole "cooling" thing I liked is the sound it makes when it's ready to take out of a cast. Apart from that, ugh, it's fairly superfluous. I really hate when a good mod falls afoul of "vision" bullshit.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

ToastyPotato posted:

Natural Magic was the closest thing I had found. BulletPhases RPG pack, but I don't know if that is even around anymore. It is frustrating that every modpack is the exact same 100 mods over and over. Hexxit was good for its simplicity. It added a bunch of adventuring stuff and that was pretty much it.

I am so loving sorry for kicking that off.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ambaire posted:

Because ~my vision~ and ~realism~. I checked the config and there's nothing to reset the speed to normal.

e. Imagine, the guy could have forced you to make TE cryotheum and pipe it into the basins to cool the blocks of metal or else it would take minutes for each block.

There should be some way to make a water cooled basin. It could even work based on the number of adjacent flowing water tiles or something, encourage some interesting builds.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I remember a mod for TiCon in 1.7.10 that allowed you to speed up the output and smelt process, god I miss that but the name escapes me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

CrazyTolradi posted:

Same, the only change to the whole "cooling" thing I liked is the sound it makes when it's ready to take out of a cast. Apart from that, ugh, it's fairly superfluous. I really hate when a good mod falls afoul of "vision" bullshit.

1.10.2 EnderIO can get hosed. The new soul binder makes a godawful sound like nails on a chalkboard only ten thousand times worse. It seems to be designed more for torturing people than gameplay. I disabled the machine sounds for it as soon as I heard it. And I also disable mekanism machine sounds because who the gently caress wants to hear all that pounding and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Ambaire posted:

1.10.2 EnderIO can get hosed. The new soul binder makes a godawful sound like nails on a chalkboard only ten thousand times worse. It seems to be designed more for torturing people than gameplay. I disabled the machine sounds for it as soon as I heard it. And I also disable mekanism machine sounds because who the gently caress wants to hear all that pounding and whatever.
I really think that the whole dumb idea behind Mekanism sounds is that the dude who made it wanted you to place it on the other side of your build area to avoid that crap. But yeah, dear god ever try using the sawmill with those noises turned on? My ears, my poor ears.

My real point was that I like there is an audible indicator to if a TiCon cast is ready to take out or not. The cooling mechanic can go gently caress itself, however.