Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

A countdown to a countdown. This is so exciting... I hope when this one ends, they reveal another countdown!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Game development costs have skyrocketed while game purchases seem to have increased fairly linearly so you end up in a situation where you need to make a bunch of money in order to continue supporting a game post-release, and the easiest way to do that is through cosmetics.

I think gambling with loot boxes isn't a perfect situation but it's probably the best way to keep it going and generates more revenue for the company that just being able to buy the skins you want outright, and prevents blizzard from having to sell game-changing content rather than just skins and emotes.

I also think the gambling aspect might help diversify player interest because I only really started playing reaper when I got the El Blanco skin for him and have been having a lot of fun, but would not have probably really picked up him if I didn't get that skin.

well this is my thoughts thanks.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Take it up with Sombra, not Blizzard.. Not sure what a video game company really hgas to do with any of this.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I want support, servers, and actual game content. The question is how these are funded.

1. Monthly fee's ala WOW.
2. Gated DLC content that fractures the community ala Battlefront, Titanfall, Battlefield.
3. Content accessed only through money injected into the entire game.
4. Cosmetic items accessed largely through lottery ticket purchase.

Of these options, I find option four to be vastly more preferable than the rest. Which is what Overwatch is actually doing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

No.

Announce Doomfist instead.

Sombra ARG kicks into high gear, matrix symbols flow across the screen, then out of nowhere Doomfist koolaids his way through a mei icewall and shouts "screw all this nerd crap, punch people break stuff yeeeaaaaaah!" He catches a hanjo arrow, lays genji out flat, punches open a loot crate revealing all legendaries, then he shatters Reinhardt's shield in one blow all while junkrat sets off explosions in the background and widowmaker and reaper swoon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

flashman posted:

Yes definitely, release a game with an appropriate amount of content for the price point, then charge for the expansion of the game. This is a nice idea. Unfortunately they released an mp only game with a very limited map selection so there is a ways to go before they should start charging for packs.

lol @ "mp only" as if it's an unheard of and horrendous thing

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
ihanjo
Renart
Wilson
Marcy
Genju
Tracker
Raper
Jenkrut
Widamegger
dvda
mao
rodehug
fairreh
mickrey
majordad
lucious
grana
zealotta

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 24, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i would like to play the overwatch campaign mode and figure out what the hell is going on

strong bird
May 12, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Take it up with Sombra, not Blizzard.. Not sure what a video game company really hgas to do with any of this.

Thank you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MysteriousStranger posted:

I want support, servers, and actual game content. The question is how these are funded.

1. Monthly fee's ala WOW.
2. Gated DLC content that fractures the community ala Battlefront, Titanfall, Battlefield.
3. Content accessed only through money injected into the entire game.
4. Cosmetic items accessed largely through lottery ticket purchase.

Of these options, I find option four to be vastly more preferable than the rest. Which is what Overwatch is actually doing.

You forgot bundling the game with the software for running a server / editing maps and letting enthusiasts take care of it for you.

It has pros and cons like all of the others, of course, I just suddenly got nostalgic for the 90s when I realized it wasn't even on people's radar.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol @ "mp only" as if it's an unheard of and horrendous thing

Mp only is a good thing. Lack of single player content, however, increases the expectations for amount of multiplayer content

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's easy to say "oh, it's just cosmetic!" or "skins don't really matter!" Or "its just a silly game!" Then I look at a billion dollars spent on boxes and realize that whether or not you think it's important, a lot of people do seem to care a lot about which color Tracer's rear end is.

Like, a billion dollars worth. This is an important issue that affects our times. :butt:

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Well, what rear end colors do you have in mind?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if the rear end is important to you then buy the box

if the rear end is not that important to you then dont buy the box

who gives a poo poo what other people spend their money on

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
But what if I don't get the right rear end out of my assbox? I don't want to buy Ms. New Booty and get Mr. New Booty. That's hosed up.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

who gives a poo poo what other people spend their money on

Activision-Blizzard.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they update with the new map on QP before season 2 starts so i have a chance to learn it on just QP

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Fuzz posted:

Reinhardt better get a Frankenstein skin for Halloween. Also Ana should get a mummy skin and Hanzo should get a Robin Hood outfit. Roadhog could get a Jason style skin with a hockey mask, and 76 could get a Thriller style getup or something. Junkrat... uh... kinda already has a bunch of Halloween skins. Maybe he'd ironically get a normal outfit, or they'd do a Leto Joker or something?

Roadhog could have the Leatherface tie and rubber apron combo with a pig mask, or just a poorly fitting pig mascot outfit. I still want a skin with Ned Kelly's armor, though.

Junkrat has a few opportunities I could think of: Angus Young style schoolboy outfit, tatty Guy Fawkes outfit, a Mick Taylor style 'bogan' outfit, cardboard box robot Omnic (complete with awkward D.Va and Bastion conversations)... I could go on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bushiz posted:

Game development costs have skyrocketed while game purchases seem to have increased fairly linearly so you end up in a situation where you need to make a bunch of money in order to continue supporting a game post-release, and the easiest way to do that is through cosmetics.

I think gambling with loot boxes isn't a perfect situation but it's probably the best way to keep it going and generates more revenue for the company that just being able to buy the skins you want outright, and prevents blizzard from having to sell game-changing content rather than just skins and emotes.

I also think the gambling aspect might help diversify player interest because I only really started playing reaper when I got the El Blanco skin for him and have been having a lot of fun, but would not have probably really picked up him if I didn't get that skin.

well this is my thoughts thanks.

As someone who used to investigate/report (to the feds/authorities) fraud and money laundering for PayPal I am almost certain part of the whole "you're buying pulls at the slot machine and not specific items" decision is to prevent monetization of particular items by the end user as a fraud mitigation measure. Nobody's going to buy and open a bunch of randomized boxes to monetize stolen financials at a huge loss when they can just go hit up eve online or wow or whatever (not sure if gold sellers for wow even exist anymore) which means they aren't incurring the cost of monitoring an entire class of microtransactions.

Preventing item trading doesn't do the trick since you'll just get people selling whole accounts as wrappers for single items inclusive of the cost of the game, and people will absolutely spend hundreds on a skin, E.g. CSGO. Randomizing and time/effort-gating the only source of loot means the bar for getting, say, the mercy Valkyrie skin is too high to quickly and effectively convert a stolen card into a sale since the card has to buy the game, then buy a bunch of loot boxes, then click each one and hope the skin comes up. By then it's highly likely that the central fraud monitoring rules have triggered either on blizzard's end or on the bank's end.

Now you know part of why they shut down the RMAH in D3.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's easy to say "oh, it's just cosmetic!" or "skins don't really matter!" Or "its just a silly game!" Then I look at a billion dollars spent on boxes and realize that whether or not you think it's important, a lot of people do seem to care a lot about which color Tracer's rear end is.

Like, a billion dollars worth. This is an important issue that affects our times. :butt:

I got Tracer's Olympic skin, but I use her punk legendary because that seems way more in line with how loving awful Tracer is.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You forgot bundling the game with the software for running a server / editing maps and letting enthusiasts take care of it for you.

It has pros and cons like all of the others, of course, I just suddenly got nostalgic for the 90s when I realized it wasn't even on people's radar.

I started in Doom 2 Deathmatch and Quake Deathmatch. I didn't forget it, it's just that business model is as dead as physical media now. I wish it wasn't the case but oh well.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

With a paltry 1.3 billion profit made on overwatch it's amazing they can afford to put out this new map only 3 months after release, thank you blizz!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah this happened to Dota, every patch felt like a billion hats.

Ah yes let's bring up the one game that actually does cosmetic stuff right and actually still does tons of balance changes and reworks to game mechanics and even map updates and point to it and say "DO WE REALLY WANT THIS??"

e: though I will say that the over-the-top effects of some of the cosmetic stuff is a bit stupid and probably wrong, but "lol just hats" is stupid

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

ihanjo
Renart
Wilson
Marcy
Genju
Tracker
Raper
Jenkrut
Widamegger
dvda
mao
rodehug
fairreh
mickrey
majordad
lucious
grana
zealotta

good

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Gonna need to start recording Science Wilson's rants as narrated by Smuglord.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My biggest gripe with the cosmetics, and it isn't really a big one, is why does Hanzo's have a different audio scheme. His ult looks different, his words are differnt, everything is different. Yet if I'm fireman Mei or Aztec Pharah everything is the same. They should really bring in new audio packages for the legendary skins.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Ah yes let's bring up the one game that actually does cosmetic stuff right and actually still does tons of balance changes and reworks to game mechanics and even map updates and point to it and say "DO WE REALLY WANT THIS??"

e: though I will say that the over-the-top effects of some of the cosmetic stuff is a bit stupid and probably wrong, but "lol just hats" is stupid

They don't do it right, they do it tolerably. (which is a gently caress ton better than most) Path of Exiles is probably the only f2p game that I'm happy to give money to.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

They don't do it right, they do it tolerably. Path of Exiles is probably the only f2p game that I'm happy to give money to.

excuse me PoE is clearly a Pay To Win game because i bought a stack of Win Fireworks with real money. they're fireworks that make you win.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Won't someone think of the shareholders

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

excuse me PoE is clearly a Pay To Win game because i bought a stack of Win Fireworks with real money. they're fireworks that make you win.

Me too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't see why people should even care if someone else buys a box

if you don't think it's worth the money, don't buy it. it's cosmetic poo poo so you have no reason to worry about buying loot crates

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't see why people should even care if someone else buys a box

if you don't think it's worth the money, don't buy it. it's cosmetic poo poo so you have no reason to worry about buying loot crates

Hey now. Don't say something you can't take back later, these cosmetic boxes are apparently serious loving business.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Jastiger posted:

My biggest gripe with the cosmetics, and it isn't really a big one, is why does Hanzo's have a different audio scheme. His ult looks different, his words are differnt, everything is different. Yet if I'm fireman Mei or Aztec Pharah everything is the same. They should really bring in new audio packages for the legendary skins.

Widow also says something like "No one can hide from the huntress" if you use her Comtesse/Huntress skins (aka the best skins). But yes, there should be more of that.

At least Junkrat should have a whole load of awful puns and jokes for his Jester and Fool skins. :brrring:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i think it is very weird for hanzo to say 'the wolf marks its prey' because if you think about it thats really gross

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if you think about it thats really gross

just like hanzo

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The wolf pisses all over ur chances of winning the video game

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Rheinhart should get a Michael Oher skin.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Rheinhart should get a Michael Oher skin.

Excuse me, I think you mean Jonathan Ogden

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Bacontotem posted:

Gonna need to start recording Science Wilson's rants as narrated by Smuglord.

I now regret asking Blizz to rename my Battlenet account away from 'Winstons', I could have had many rage-induced chats with people yelling at me to change away from the monkey, to which I could have replied - 'I Winstons'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I really hate the new map. If the enemy team goes all defensive heroes they basically shut down everything because it's all stupid bullshit hallways unless you go the main path