Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TELL ME IT WAS JUST A GUEST ARTIST

Tell me it'll be okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Look, they're busy ladies, OK?!

(I don't think they've ever done more than 5-6 issues of a book at a time, actually)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

The most upsetting thing in marvel last week was seeing gurihiru is no longer doing the art in gwenpool

:agreed:

My heart broke a little

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so I got curious and checked the marvel site and it does have Gurihiru listed as the artist for the next two issues so maybe it was just a guest artist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Also wasn't Cho introduced as a newer version of Mastermind Excello? Or at least was tangentially linked?

Yeah, Cho was at one point Mastermind Excello after winning a contest. It's how he got his 7th Smartest Person thing IIRC?

It never really stuck though. It gets brought up briefly in the Herc run but I don't think he's been called anything but Amadeus Cho for quite some time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 24, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

site posted:

Okay so I got curious and checked the marvel site and it does have Gurihiru listed as the artist for the next two issues so maybe it was just a guest artist

They had a guest artist this month in SG, so maybe it's just a thing they're doing for their Lighthearted Female Led Comedy Comics

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Civil War 2 claimed its biggest casualty today.
Rest in peace, POD.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SilverSupernova posted:

Civil War 2 claimed its biggest casualty today.
Rest in peace, POD.

What the gently caress no. :(

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wait seriously? What the gently caress. :smith: :smith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What? She was on the cover of US Avengers, I thought?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

What? She was on the cover of US Avengers, I thought?

Aikku survived Skar's attack, but POD didn't. That's why her armor is less bulky.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aikku the woman inside survived, but POD the symbiotic personality died saving her

Efb

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Captain Marvel #8 probably has the best conversation and discussion of Civil War II's various conflicts and issues of anything released thus far. It's certainly got the best argument for Carol's side, and she's characterized amazingly well here. Much better than the stubborn drat-the-torpedoes meathead that's been appearing in Bendis' main series.

This book doesn't get a lot of love from folks here but it's honestly been very consistently enjoyable, even with the writing team change.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Captain Marvel #8 probably has the best conversation and discussion of Civil War II's various conflicts and issues of anything released thus far. It's certainly got the best argument for Carol's side, and she's characterized amazingly well here. Much better than the stubborn drat-the-torpedoes meathead that's been appearing in Bendis' main series.

Still not as good as how Vision's book handles the same conflicts and issues without having the slightest association with CW2. Still, pretty much everyone has been handling this topic better than Bendis has in the main series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Marvel Universe: *Is gripped in a worldwide conflict of ideals between heroes*

Doreen Green: *Has a dream where she teaches Count Nefaria to count on his hands in binary*

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Waffleman_ posted:

The Marvel Universe: *Is gripped in a worldwide conflict of ideals between heroes*

Doreen Green: *Has a dream where she teaches Count Nefaria to count on his hands in binary*

Well, she's going to beat up the Marvel universe in October. That graphic novel should just be the arc conclusion of this Civil War nonsense. Everyone is fighting amongst themselves, she gets fed up and clobbers them up until the whole issue is resolved and they can be friends again.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 24, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

This book doesn't get a lot of love from folks here but it's honestly been very consistently enjoyable, even with the writing team change.

What do you mean 'even'? That's why it's been good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh this issue of captain marvel feels like it should've come out before cw2 issue 4 and not a month afterwards

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Pleased to see Jubilee rescued from the shackles of X-Mediocrity and given a fun gig hanging out with Patsy and pals. Seeing a cloud of mist with fangs and those ridiculous shades made my day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

:3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was waiting that entire sequence for them to at least make a joke about flipping the bird, but Squirrel Girl is an all-ages comic so alas.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Edge & Christian posted:

The biggest reason (beyond conservative fans or conservative editors or conservative whatever) that there are pretty much only legacy/connected characters added to the Marvel/DC universe is that if you have a truly original and freestanding Good Idea as a creator for Marvel/DC, you can probably get a deal to publish it at Image (or Boom or Dark Horse or wherever) where you can own it and get all of the money for the movies and TV shows and reprints and everything else.

I was thinking today that it's interesting, and also obviously not an accident, that guys like Al Ewing are making their bones on surprisingly deep continuity dives, or else on characters and plots that have a thorough grounding in concepts and characters that are specific to the Marvel Universe. I've noticed lately that some random character or fictional nation mentioned in a scene will be a reference to some random issue of Jungle Action from the mid-'70s or something.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Endless Mike posted:

This isn't what he's saying "amazing" about.

I guess cutting the quoted post down to specifically the part I was responding to was too oblique

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
With Monica acting all Nextwavey just before Secret Wars, Elsa doing the same just now in A-Force, The Captain showing up in Nova, and Aaron being Aaron all over... What's Tabby's current status? Depowered?

Also I'm expecting zombie Dirk Anger to show up somewhere soon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dirk Anger probably wasn't real or if he was, he was part of the Beyond Corporation hive-being thing

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Blockhouse posted:

Dirk Anger probably wasn't real or if he was, he was part of the Beyond Corporation hive-being thing

Zombie Dirk Anger was in, IIRC, Star-Lord.

...okay, so it wasn't a huge part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

With Monica acting all Nextwavey just before Secret Wars, Elsa doing the same just now in A-Force, The Captain showing up in Nova, and Aaron being Aaron all over... What's Tabby's current status? Depowered?

Tabby's an M-Word, you know Marvel doesn't want to acknowledge that those exist!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I think she last showed up in Bendis' ANXM as one of those kids squatting on Utopia.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I never thought I'd be reading a comic starring Nighthawk, but here we are and I'm enjoying it so far.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can I jump into Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man with no knowledge of the main comic? How about Scarlet Spider vol 2?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

Can I jump into Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man with no knowledge of the main comic?

Yep. You might want to read the last few issues before it switched over to Superior just to see how the mind switch happened.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wouldnt recommend SSM. Foes is pretty great though

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
New Avengers was so good, Al Ewing continues to be the best. The flashbacks to previous issues with added subtitles were amazing, Warlock was spectacular, and Songbird is back in the fold again! It will be nice to see more of Aikku, at least, and I'm so excited for her and Toni together. Glad to see Roberto was darker-skinned too.

BrianWilly posted:

Agree with this and hooray for Hellcat and Squirrel Girl, as always.

HydraCap was awful, because killing the goddamn Super-Apes is the worst. It just bummed me out and the whole issue was going for shock value and ended up lovely.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
New Avengers is grand, if somewhat bizarre, the way it's made Roberto into some kind of Machiavellian, wheels-within-wheels super schemer who's having the time of his life (while, er, also dying). I am going to miss it when it goes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

Can I jump into Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man with no knowledge of the main comic? How about Scarlet Spider vol 2?

Despite the name Foes doesn't actually have anything to do with the "Superior" Spider-Man stuff. As for Scarlet Spider, I read it without having checked out any of the previous stuff and once you get through the opening it's fine. It helps that his series is him moving away from NYC and starting over somewhere else.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wel, going by certain solicitations, it seems that Ulysses' vision was likely of Banner Hulk having been resurrected by the Hand. So surprising nobody, trying to prevent the future caused it to happen. Taking bets on how long Hawkguy is going to take to live this down.

Edit: also this must be a record for a resurrection. I mean Bruce hasn't even been in the ground that long and they already spoiled he comes back.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 25, 2016

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Man, the Hand should forget about the illegal poo poo and just make an insane fortune flogging life extending/rebirthing treatments to those able to afford it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but then we still end up with a stupid situation for the whole storyline. Do nothing? Do anything? gently caress there's no resolution to this except Ulysses blowing out his own brains

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah but then we still end up with a stupid situation for the whole storyline. Do nothing? Do anything? gently caress there's no resolution to this except Ulysses blowing out his own brains

Bendis chooses the Destroy ending, condemning the Marvel universe to the return of the synthetic threat in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Dirk appeared in Star Lord's book for a minor cameo, and when Black Panther married Storm, one of the gifts they received was addressed from him.

Also I love that Ewing is rapidly making John Garrett more and more into Dirk Anger with each issue of New Avengers.

• Locked thread