Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've had angry old white men at my work (all of which are either happily voting for trump, holding their noses and doing so, or not but voting R downballot) bash the Milwaukee transit system, including the new light rail system they want to put in downtown, as "worthless" because in their own words, "I never see anyone use it!"

Yes, because no one in the lily white southwest suburbs of Milwaukee County using the buses means /no one else/ uses it. To say nothing that the local park and ride usually is pretty full, but not capacity regularly (and is completely full during Summerfest and State Fair).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

M. Night Skymall posted:

Dallas has light rail that runs to DFW. The light rail system here actually isn't that bad if you're trying to get to downtown from a suburb, not sure how nice it is for anything else.

It does but, the access points are few and far between, especially coming from the Ft. Worth side.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I could totally see these laws being a case of clueless rich white person council members wanting to crack down on absentee landlords (who don't give a poo poo as long as their rent money comes in) without bothering to consider how many police departments consider the tenants of those landlords with barely concealed contempt.

Go ACLU fighting the good fight.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shifty Pony posted:

I could totally see these laws being a case of clueless rich white person council members wanting to crack down on absentee landlords (who don't give a poo poo as long as their rent money comes in) without bothering to consider how many police departments consider the tenants of those landlords with barely concealed contempt.

Go ACLU fighting the good fight.

"Clueless". Yeah no, I'm almost positive they knew what they were doing, just dogwhistled it under absentee landlords.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
McMuffin bringing that fire https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/768552534835359744

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

Two polls out today, Monmouth and CNN, show HRC with slight leads in NC. But the real news:
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/768543172788092928

If McCrory loses his seat over HB2, that will chill the gently caress out of similar efforts in other states.

It won't just be HB2 I'm sure. Isn't McCrory the guy who won (barely?) by swearing how moderate and chill he'd be only to go full right-wing as soon as he won the election, doing a bunch of poo poo he swore he wouldn't and signing bills he claimed he'd veto? He needs to get voted out and exiled to some rapidly sinking sandbar off the coast.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this isn't accurate. agencies like cobb transit and gwinnett transit are just there to be like "see? we don't need marta, we can take care of transit ourseves" even if the buses are functionally useless

e: they did reject the splost tho, although gwinnett will tip soon into the yes column as it gets less white

One of the few downsides of not living in Decatur anymore means that I don't get to hear/see about the new stadium trainwreck as often unless a friend in the area messages me. It's an amazing nexus of terrible people and ideals.

Also not being able to take the MARTA to/from the airport or occasionally five points, which was convenient as hell.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

Even LAX wants you to take a shuttle to the Green Line.

Chicago's the only other city I can think of where the train goes right to the airport.
Salt Lake! (not that anyone comes here but still) I live just a couple blocks from the airport line and will probably take that instead of a cab when I go to Europe next year. I don't live far so a cab would be less than $20 but hey, they built it so I'm gonna ride it. Plus I have a pass from work so it'll be free.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

iospace posted:

I've had angry old white men at my work (all of which are either happily voting for trump, holding their noses and doing so, or not but voting R downballot) bash the Milwaukee transit system, including the new light rail system they want to put in downtown, as "worthless" because in their own words, "I never see anyone use it!"

Yes, because no one in the lily white southwest suburbs of Milwaukee County using the buses means /no one else/ uses it. To say nothing that the local park and ride usually is pretty full, but not capacity regularly (and is completely full during Summerfest and State Fair).

I think the downtown thing is a streetcar and not a light rail. Streetcars suck, light rail rules.

I also remember when there was talk of a bus route terminating at Brookfield Square mall and hoooooly poo poo did that not end well. Its too bad because Milwaukee county is such a loving flat grid that it could be efficient as hell

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Geostomp posted:

But then their precious hard earned money will go to filthy moochers.

You really underestimate the sheer depth of the spite behind the tightfistedness of WASPs. It's not about them saving money, it's about the Other getting less than they have.

Hopefully being given an opportunity to feel superior and more exclusive will win out; it's an uphill battle though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kalman posted:

Could be worse, could be LGA (enjoy the bus!) or Dulles (which is finally getting connected to Metro 50 years later.)

Dulles is the other one I was thinking of, I'm glad they're finally connecting it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

M. Night Skymall posted:

Dallas has light rail that runs to DFW. The light rail system here actually isn't that bad if you're trying to get to downtown from a suburb, not sure how nice it is for anything else.

dallas is currently building a ton of light rail and it's pretty impressive for a sunbelt city. dallas might be the most aggressive transit expansion in the us right now

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of the few downsides of not living in Decatur anymore means that I don't get to hear/see about the new stadium trainwreck as often unless a friend in the area messages me. It's an amazing nexus of terrible people and ideals.

Also not being able to take the MARTA to/from the airport or occasionally five points, which was convenient as hell.

yeah they built a wal mart at north decatur and scott :negative:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

iospace posted:

I heard the exact same poo poo from someone at the gym about not including room for future light-rail extensions on the new 520 floating bridge across Lake Washington. This was in Bellevue, of course.

Even if these people actually do drive all over the drat place, I still can't understand how they can possibly tolerate the bad traffic the lack of transit options lets continue; I mean, gently caress I-405 in rush hour, have they never driven it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

berserker posted:

There are already quotes of Trump literally just calling an entire race simply the color.

"A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market. I think sometimes a black may think they don't have an advantage or this and that... I've said on one occasion, even about myself, if I were starting off today, I would love to be a well-educated black, because I believe they do have an actual advantage."

Maybe he just wishes he was educated? Seems like it would have helped his career.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raymn posted:

I think the downtown thing is a streetcar and not a light rail. Streetcars suck, light rail rules.

I also remember when there was talk of a bus route terminating at Brookfield Square mall and hoooooly poo poo did that not end well. Its too bad because Milwaukee county is such a loving flat grid that it could be efficient as hell

Streetcars aren't inherently bad, many places use them quite well. The problem is when a city/area is building something they specifically brand as a "streetcar" these days, it often means some crappy thing that will only serve some small location, like a shopping or tourist district, and won't actually get you from where people live to somewhere else.

For instance, Kansas City, MO just opened the "KC Streetcar" line this year, which connects the Amtrak station to a chunk of the CBD. That's it, it only goes 2 miles or so. Eventually they'll extend it outwards from the Amtrak station and add other lines, supposedly, but it's pretty useless right now.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've heard a fair amount of rumors that Trump retires to his apartment every night, or most nights. Even if he has to fly back home on TrumpAir. What truthiness is there in this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I've heard a fair amount of rumors that Trump retires to his apartment every night, or most nights. Even if he has to fly back home on TrumpAir. What truthiness is there in this?

It's 100% accurate.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Please furnish me with FAA route information or it's a lie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Please furnish me with FAA route information or it's a lie.

It's been widely reported.

https://twitter.com/Interior/status/768563691822252033

Do they do this every year? Either way, heads up nature goons.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

He's a supposedly a germophobe and another neurotic thing is that you have trouble sleeping outside of your own bed. That and he's probably lazy. And I remember reading that he has a daily routine where he spends the morning "running his business" whatever the hell that means. So he gets up after four hours of sleep in his luxurious bed, makes some calls, flies to a rally and then flies back.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

No. They've only done it a handful of times this year because it's the 100th anniversary of the NPS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No. They've only done it a handful of times this year because it's the 100th anniversary of the NPS.

Well, it's a great excuse to go look at one of the few purely good things about America.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren:Huge news from Colombia:siren:

Peace accord between FARC and the government, the BBC reports.

Sure it's not US politics per se but it's a big development in our sphere of influence.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

iospace posted:

"Clueless". Yeah no, I'm almost positive they knew what they were doing, just dogwhistled it under absentee landlords.

Agreed. Singling out minorities and poor people under the premise of "reducing crime" is a feature, not a bug.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm going to go with the Onion's theory that Trump is running back home every night to cry: http://www.theonion.com/article/why-can-i-never-seem-say-right-thing-weeps-trump-p-53408

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zoux posted:

Hillary is giving a speech on the alt-right tomorrow, focusing on Bannon. They got a new ad out for it too.

https://twitter.com/gotdem/status/768543536564215808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
That ad is a good idea, but terrible execution. They should have used people 50+ instead of smug millenials. The editorial comments and facial expressions throughout are annoying. They fly through the quotes way too fast to let the viewer really absorb them and realize why they're terrible. And I don't get why they included the emperor Obama quote - I'm sure there are much more offensive Breitbart headlines, or they could have used the time to slow down the rattling off of quotes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Inferior Third Season posted:

That ad is a good idea, but terrible execution. They should have used people 50+ instead of smug millenials. The editorial comments and facial expressions throughout are annoying. They fly through the quotes way too fast to let the viewer really absorb them and realize why they're terrible. And I don't get why they included the emperor Obama quote - I'm sure there are much more offensive Breitbart headlines, or they could have used the time to slow down the rattling off of quotes.

They're doing it in the style of Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets, and so are probably targeting younger people who have never heard of Breitbart.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Inferior Third Season posted:

People of all ages and races would have been good. Just "Trump hired the guy from Breitbart, whose headlines are things like..." And then PoC and millennials and boomers and Gen Xrs and gays reading that special Breitbart crazy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I feel like last time I checked out Dallas's light rail, everything ran thru downtown. So trying to go northwest of where I was involved going south to downtown then back north in a big, 2 hour long V

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Speaking of Asian Americans and divisions within the community about fears of other minorities: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/08/milwaukee-protests-asian-american-black-lives-matter-214184

Some views from both sides, though I think that the people worrying that sudden change will somehow break the system are just dragging their feet; the system is already pretty drat busted.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah do Civil War re-enactors ever re-enact, say, Cold Harbor? :getin:

The battle, yes, the movie, somewhat, as in there are a some for Petersburg and the crater battle. Usually it starts after the crater explosion waypoint though.

i've been to a few big ones and lots of small ones. Gettysburg is always a mess because there's so many people. I found it's easier to slip in as an independent and join up with a unit there that offers it.
Skirmishes are relatively small and not always impressive.
never, EVER sit on the lid of a limber in Virginia sun though...copper does not like butts when the sun has baked it into a cooking surface

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm going to go with the Onion's theory that Trump is running back home every night to cry: http://www.theonion.com/article/why-can-i-never-seem-say-right-thing-weeps-trump-p-53408
I'm disappointed in The Onion for not using someone with small hands for that photo.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I'm a cold war re-enactor, I play video games from the 80s.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I did type out a big response to people because I wanted to respond to everyone individually but, if it's okay I'd like to lay out some of the points I was trying to get across, evidentlly somewhat poorly earlier:

The bad choice seems to be that, when faced with organisations that do not do good, the choice is made to invest in them because profits will be higher. The way they would see it is that profits being higher means that more good can be done. I am saying that the organisation is already wealthy enough and should not have to invest in morally "grey" sections in order to acquire money to do good.

I suppose I am expecting perfection. It's because these people have such a large amount of cash that they shouldn't be making mistakes. I suppose it's ludicrous to expect this but when people make claims about their wealth or the good of their country I want to see the proof in making it better in the best possible way. It's true that being pragmatic can help things. But being pragmatic is not always the right thing to do especially when you have a position of strength. That is what I would argue charities with billions of dollars have, a position of strength to use when deciding on investments.

I also don't think we are derailing too much. All we seem to do in this thread is spend weeks laughing at Trump. As we should, it is hilarious. Its not "exciting" to see the last gasp breathe of a dying campaign and a subsection of many Americans. It is satisfying, but it isn't exactly edge of your seat.

I don't think the moral ideas about taking money from bad causes to try and do good is an unresonable one, I do find it a tad consequentialist which I am not fond of. But it's a perfectly normal one to hold. I would like to dispute it though. Which is what I have been trying to fumble my way towards. I am not sure if it's worked at all, but I don't mean to give offence or engender anger through this.

ImpAtom posted:

Billy West has ruined-slash-improved any Donald Trump quote in writing for me.

It really is great hearing them read out. I hope he starts releasing them as an album of some sort.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Sidenote, Sally Jewell, US Secretary of Interior, was the keynote speaker at my graduation for my master's program. She's a super cool lady, and although she's moving on after Obama, it'd be cool if Hillary retained her :unsmith:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I am saying that the organisation is already wealthy enough and should not have to invest in morally "grey" sections in order to acquire money to do good.

That's not how foundations work. You give them a huge chunk of money (an endowment) as an initial gift. The organization DOES NOT spend that money. They invest it and spend the proceeds of investment, so that they can continue to operate for a long time. Ongoing donations are generally folded into the endowment so that you'll have more money to work with moving forward.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kalman posted:

That's not how foundations work. You give them a huge chunk of money (an endowment) as an initial gift. The organization DOES NOT spend that money. They invest it and spend the proceeds of investment, so that they can continue to operate for a long time. Ongoing donations are generally folded into the endowment so that you'll have more money to work with moving forward.

When ther person (or people) die is their usually a larger endowment as part of the will? If the money isn't being spent and is instead invested then the money made is solely of the investments? That seems a trifle weird to me, I'd assume that you would direct them to invest in x/y/z company and then use the proceeds (alongside an earmarked donation) to do what needs doing.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 24, 2016

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

When ther person (or people) die is their usually a larger endowment as part of the will?

Depends on the will and the person, but it doesn't really matter.

For example, the Rockefeller Foundation has been going for over a hundred years. They've received additions to the initial endowment over the years but that initial money is still there, being invested to earn money for grants. By this point in time, that initial investment has long since earned (and been granted out) far more money than it originally was.

Serious foundations are planned to last for a long, long time.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

It really is great hearing them read out. I hope he starts releasing them as an album of some sort.
My wish? Billy West & Tress McNeil (as HRC) doing the debates word for word.

It would be magnificent.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Delegates were also given plastic fetus figurines.[/i]

uhhhh WHAT

From way back but my favorite old bar had a bunch of these they'd gotten from some creepy pro-life thing and used them for birthday shots.

Beyond that I can't imagine what people use them for. Some fundie nerd has the world's worst action figure collection on his desk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

I feel like last time I checked out Dallas's light rail, everything ran thru downtown. So trying to go northwest of where I was involved going south to downtown then back north in a big, 2 hour long V

Yeah, pretty much, unless you want to catch a bus or 3. And DART rail doesn't even serve all of the suburbs. It's fine if you want to park somewhere along the 75 corridor and ride to somewhere downtown, but I've never had much use for it outside of trade shows I had to go to at the Convention Center.

Of course, I live in Mesquite, the land that time forgot. It's a suburb full of old people who think DART will bring "the wrong kind of people" into town. We just barely got beer/wine sales approved 3 or 4 years ago.

• Locked thread