Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cnut
May 3, 2016

Does it have little red bits all over it so it looks spicy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Pick posted:

Just for the record, here are some common things I hear:

- You are smart
- You are attractive
- You are good at [activity]
- You are funny

These are decent compliments for a relationship, and things that Mr. "Pretty Good" might say. But it would be nice to throw in a few:

- You bring light to my life
- You make me feel like I could do anything
- I feel like I am better for knowing you
- When I am with you I can see things in a whole new way
- You make me feel excited about the future

And the difference between those kind of statements is significant. The former are affirmations of status. The latter are personal sentiments.

hmmmm what bout "girl that rear end is like rainbows n makes me want to cure butt cancer so it can stay that way" is that romantic?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Relevent:

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-entirely-different-misogynist-online-real-life-53328

quote:

Man Entirely Different Misogynist Online Than In Real Life

CHATTANOOGA, TN—Explaining how his subtle belittlement and disrespect for women in face-to-face interactions had little in common with the bold, outspoken manner in which he degrades women when he’s on social media or website message boards, sources reported Tuesday that local man Colin McManus is a totally different misogynist online than in real life. McManus, who is said to regularly post brazenly offensive tirades in YouTube comment sections dictating how he thinks women should behave and stating which female public figures he believes deserve to be sexually assaulted, reportedly keeps such opinions entirely to himself in person, instead favoring small jabs at female acquaintances’ decision-making abilities and regularly discrediting women’s emotions by casually claiming their reactions are overly sensitive or melodramatic. Sources confirmed that whether McManus bitterly inveighs against women’s sexual activity in long, slur-ridden outbursts or issues softly worded slights or praise that tie a woman’s appearance to her worth depended wholly on whether he’s sitting alone in front of a computer or engaged in an actual conversation in his workplace or social setting. At press time, McManus was said to be looking down at his phone, attempting to quietly undercut a female coworker’s opinions by denying eye contact and ignoring what she was currently saying, while at the same moment discovering he had been blocked on Twitter by another woman he regularly threatened.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pick posted:

Just for the record, here are some common things I hear:

- You are smart
- You are attractive
- You are good at [activity]
- You are funny

These are decent compliments for a relationship, and things that Mr. "Pretty Good" might say. But it would be nice to throw in a few:

- You bring light to my life
- You make me feel like I could do anything
- I feel like I am better for knowing you
- When I am with you I can see things in a whole new way
- You make me feel excited about the future

And the difference between those kind of statements is significant. The former are affirmations of status. The latter are personal sentiments.

The most I ever made a girl 'melt' (and gently caress the haters it's totally the right word) was just after moving back to my home state, and then losing my job while I was dating this great woman. We were just kind of walking around a nature reserve and she asked me if I was doing alright.

I said something like "You know, this is a big adjustment and I'm not sure how I'm doing, but I'm glad I met you because I'm happy about how things are gonna work out."

It actually felt really nice to be that vulnerable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

haha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Turdfuzz posted:

hmmmm what bout "girl that rear end is like rainbows n makes me want to cure butt cancer so it can stay that way" is that romantic?

it's better than the "girl that rear end is like rainbows" because it showcases your personal investment and how her rear end has motivated you to be a better man, so yeah that's like a b+

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Pick posted:

it's better than the "girl that rear end is like rainbows" because it showcases your personal investment and how her rear end has motivated you to be a better man, so yeah that's like a b+

hmm okay i think im gettin this "girls" thing now
i was worried cuz its so complicated i was thinkin i should jus go gay or somethin

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The other day we were talking about how they say women have higher pain tolerance.

I said, "Men feel pain and want to fix it. Women feel pain and just want someone to listen to them complain about it."

Bazinga.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
rear end is a great thing. I don't get emotionally vested in it though.

But I've known a few people in my life that have made me want to be a better person.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Tumble posted:

The most I ever made a girl 'melt' (and gently caress the haters it's totally the right word) was just after moving back to my home state, and then losing my job while I was dating this great woman. We were just kind of walking around a nature reserve and she asked me if I was doing alright.

I said something like "You know, this is a big adjustment and I'm not sure how I'm doing, but I'm glad I met you because I'm happy about how things are gonna work out."

This is a good story with lots of valuable lessons in it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Salty Josh posted:

rear end is a great thing. I don't get emotionally vested in it though.

But I've known a few people in my life that have made me want to be a better person.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to water rear end. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
rear end will never be absent from your life man like wtf just turn around jfc

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Tumble posted:

The most successful compliment i ever landed was purely by accident. a girl was telling me about a half-marathon she had run and i said "wow...you're like an inspiration to me", not thinking about it much at all. she started literally hopping up and down in happiness, and would occasionally mention it years later. she would go on to dedicate her life to trying to be a motivational speaker, so by chance i had blindly struck on something that she deeply wanted people to feel about her.

That says something about the nature of compliments. People often think of the definition of a compliment as 'saying something nice about a person', but the ones that you really feel are something more like an affirmation of the person you feel you are, want to be, or want to be seen as. Such things are not so generic that simple positive statements have any weight. to a woman who values herself on the basis of being a caring, supportive person it is deeply insulting for men to casually imply that she is self-centred, and she will be most complimented by a man simply acknowledging that they consider her to be a kind person who offers them a lot. i know other women that would feel nothing to such compliments and might even be like 'pfft... what am i your mother', because being seen as kind or caring is not something they personally hold all that much value for.

naem
May 29, 2011

Caring about other people sometimes and not yourself, it turns out is like, with the,

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I compliment my girlfriend all the time but follow it up immediately with something to ruin it. Not because of any negging strategy or any such nonsense, but because I'm quite a cynical chap and my prolonged exposure to SA has robbed me of my ability to say anything unironically.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like it when girls say i have nice muscles

Its okay when guys say it too, but not as hot

Should i compliment girls on their muscles too??

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

KomodoWagon posted:

rear end will never be absent from your life man like wtf just turn around jfc

Yeah, but you can't eat your own booty like groceries, can you?

Like some sort of sexy butt ouroboros?

...can you?

Trochantin
Jun 16, 2009
Generally, the best compliments I give to the ladyfriend are doofy puns or silly references to current situations. The best she has to offer usually is "good" or "nice" + noun. I like it when she says my muscles are nice, but I wish someone who spent so much time reading would be more creative.

It can be hard to compliment your partner, let alone a stranger who you want to get to know better. This is especially difficult when you have people who are so unused to having healthy social interactions, thinking compliments are a gateway to another's pants, or has had the well poisoned by wrongthought.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Trochantin posted:

It can be hard to compliment your partner, let alone a stranger who you want to get to know better. This is especially difficult when you have people who are so unused to having healthy social interactions, thinking compliments are a gateway to another's pants, or has had the well poisoned by wrongthought.

Practice on randoms of either sex. keep it light fluffy and 1-off without any kind of expectation and just walk away. soon you too will be able to just randomly talk to people like it aint no thing.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bubblyblubber posted:

Yeah, but you can't eat your own booty like groceries, can you?

Like some sort of sexy butt ouroboros?

...can you?

Get loving flexible you little buttbitch

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Show a genuine interest in people" is the most basic part of How to Win Friends and Influence People.

How is that surprising?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Once a girl totally played me the gently caress out, stringing me along and letting me have sex with her then going hey fwb? Then next time she is all nope I dont want this and THEN coming back around and going but maybe fwb again? She was hot and I was like a complete pancake just going 'uhuh', 'yes', 'oh dont worry i understand'. Then I started to feel used and emasculated, so the next time I met her at a club with her friends and the usual dancing and gaming and being generally retarded, she started giving me looks that said 'ok you can come up to me and make out now', so I went up to her, past her, and then started making out with her (admittedly less hot) friend, and then we went home together. I didnt really want to have sex or anything, and I joined the circus of People Having Sex With Randoms For Really Terrible Reasons, but goddamnit I got my manhood back.

The hot girl was into the whole poly thing and in hindsight I think she was kinda insecure and just used me as a comfort blanket and revenge sex person when her real boyfriend was screwing someone else, I was the big idiot who was all up and down emotionally at her whim and I didnt play it cool or whatever. No hard feelings and 10/10 would be the object of a revenge sex night again.

I guess the sentiment is that if some woman is keep you in the nice guy owned zone, get back at her in petty ways!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

"Show a genuine interest in people" is the most basic part of How to Win Friends and Influence People.

How is that surprising?

Once you can fake sincerity you've got it made.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cnut posted:

Once you can fake sincerity you've got it made.

Faking sincerity is as easy as keeping eye contact.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Frosted Flake posted:

How is that surprising?

The redpillers and such, despite their massive sexy brains and overall smartyness, can't seem to figure out basic tenants of socializing.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
So is this thread pretty much Pick's livejournal or what?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

how me a frog posted:

So is this thread pretty much Pick's livejournal or what?

You were expecting...?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

for a thread ostensibly about laughing at loser dudes it has covered a pretty wide range of topics, has featured a bunch of people revealing their own hangups while trying to criticise others, and it constantly lurches between sincerity and jokes time. i like it and all the people in it.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Wicker Man posted:

The redpillers and such, despite their massive sexy brains and overall smartyness, can't seem to figure out basic tenants of socializing.

I thought the guy with the fedora and unkempt beard would just be a social butterfly.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
If you can't muster the effort to occasionally hose the stank off your rear end, you probably can't find the motivation to go outside and meet people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCf9M5GsDSs

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I feel that compliments from total strangers are hollow and a bit manipulative.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

HardDisk posted:

thats a really insightful and discerning observation, you clearly are very intelligent and most likely attractive.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

see?

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Mr. 47 posted:

If you can't muster the effort to occasionally hose the stank off your rear end, you probably can't find the motivation to go outside and meet people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCf9M5GsDSs

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

HardDisk posted:

I love manipulating strangers... heh.... making them feel good about themselves... fuckin playing them for suckers :twisted:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

but.. I meant well :smithfrog:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I really don't get the hygiene thing. A bit of stubble? Sure, it's fashionable and not everybody shaves everyday.

Not washing themselves or their clothes is totally baffling.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

i loving love showering. its warm in there and soaping yourself up is a good excuse to run your hands all over your body sensuously.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Moon Atari posted:

i loving love showering. its warm in there and soaping yourself up is a good excuse to run your hands all over your body sensuously.

jeez you dont need an excuse for that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Frosted Flake posted:

I really don't get the hygiene thing. A bit of stubble? Sure, it's fashionable and not everybody shaves everyday.

Not washing themselves or their clothes is totally baffling.

Sometimes it's just the end stage of being lazy as gently caress. Imagine being so sedentary and unmotivated that you don't feel like getting up and spending 10 minutes cleaning and drying yourself.

Other times, they just never learned. When I was in boot camp, I met actual 18+ y/o women who had to be taught how to thoroughly wash themselves. If you grow up in a dirty family and you learn as a kid that if you just toss a dollop of shampoo on the top of your head and let the suds run down your body when you rinse your hair then you're clean enough, then you're gonna start smelling pretty rank.

I've also known someone who gained a ton of weight and didn't like seeing herself naked anymore, so she put off showering for a couple days at a time, but I think that was a sub-issue of overall depression.

• Locked thread