Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
http://io9.gizmodo.com/doctor-strange-has-additional-scenes-written-by-the-co-1785701261

THE MOVIE THAT FINALLY SINKS THE MCU IS UNDERGOING RESHOOTS. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More than Justice League Dark, I really want to see Demon Knights or Doom Patrol.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Marvel's very smart to get the hot nerd flavor of the minute involved in their project, just look at this framing:

"Harmon himself is...obviously a true talent and comedy genius"

Obviously.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Marvel's very smart to get the hot nerd flavor of the minute involved in their project, just look at this framing:

Obviously.

I like the bit about him adding levity. The guy's idea of a good joke is ending a cartoon episode with the titular character contemplating suicide.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MacheteZombie posted:

I like the bit about him adding levity. The guy's idea of a good joke is ending a cartoon episode with the titular character contemplating suicide.

He's right.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Community was great. It got a little long in the tooth at times but there is definitely some genius in there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's also possible that Justice League Batman is simply still not a very good person, just for different reasons than at the beginning of BvS.

Exactly - BvS ends with Wayne freed by Superman's sacrifice, and ready to choose his fate. It's pretty much the same ending as Terminator 2. And like T2, there are constant indications that Wayne might choose poorly.

Snyder actually places more emphasis on this than James Cameron did - showing that the conflict is definitely escalating.

So we have to look at the issues that are still unresolved: Bruce Wayne is still a billionaire CEO. He's still more akin to Luthor than not, except now leaning towards full-on fascism.

The unfortunate part of Karloff's megapost is that he's basically voicing support for a fascist Batman; as long as Batman's not a murderous fascist, the fascism part is OK.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing is, I think Dan Harmon is pretty good, but I'm definitely getting Whedon vibes from his current status as Internet Golden Boy. Marvel can sniff these dudes out and get them on board pretty easily, which completely reframes the narrative. "Reshoots with a guy who has never done a blockbuster may be a sign of Marvel panic" becomes "genuis Dan Harmon collaborates with Marvel to lift Dr Strange to new heights"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Obviously.

Community and Rick and Morty are both amazing. And Harmon has been around for a decade?

Is this just a rebelling against current popular thing opinion?

Edit: I just saw your second post. Harmon is writing the scenes, not shooting them.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Dan Harmon's a funny guy and jokes are good.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
^^^ jokes are extremely good, too bad Harmon can't tell them.

MacheteZombie posted:

My favorite joke on Rick and Morty is the one where the show stops being a show for twenty seconds so the characters can become ciphers for Harmon and Roiland's opinions on the word "retarded."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The two top contenders to direct Captain Marvel are:

Lesli Linka Glatter (Homeland, Mad Men)
Lorene Scafaria (New Girl, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World)

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Community was great. It got a little long in the tooth at times but there is definitely some genius in there.

I fully support the continued appearence of people who worked on Community on the Marvel Cinematic Universe in any capacity.

Altough, I would prefer that Harmon were hired to work at the DC movies on Warner. They desperately need good writters and creators to help save their movies. Who knows if Warner is able to get great results from TV people like Marvel has with the Russos or people with no background in the genre like Gunn.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Harmon is writing the scenes, not shooting them.

Has he written blockbuster tho? Honestly don't know

Topolino posted:

Altough, I would prefer that Harmon were hired to work at the DC movies on Warner. They desperately need good writters and creators to help save their movies.

Yes, they need to fire their Oscar-winning writer and Oscar-winning producer/actor/director to get drunk, inconsistent Dan Harmon on board immediately.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yes, they need to fire their Oscar-winning writer and Oscar-winning producer/actor to get drunk, inconsistent Dan Harmon on board immediately.

:boom:

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Yes, they need to fire their Oscar-winning writer and Oscar-winning producer/actor to get drunk, inconsistent Dan Harmon on board immediately.

Oscar-winning? Oh well then their bad movies are now good because they have the one guy. Is that how that works?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

He only wrote a couple scenes it sounds like, presumably comedic ones. The Sinister dude wrote most of the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Topolino posted:

Oscar-winning? Oh well then their bad movies are now good because they have the one guy. Is that how that works?

Well, no. Because they have two guys.

Edit: But maybe you're right. Maybe they should hire Dan Harmon to "save" their movie franchise, the 3rd fastest franchise to reach 2 billion ticket revenue in history (behind Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rick and Morty is decent and all but everything I've ever seen Harmon try to write "seriously" crashes and loving burns, so

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Shortlist for the director's seat in Captain Marvel is out

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Well, no. Because they have two guys.

Oh two guys. I'm sure Sucide Squad, Man of Steel and BvS are now retro-actively better now that I have this new information. Watch out Marvel! Two Oscar guys! They better advertise this so cinema goers can mentally adjust their expectations. They better think that these crappy movies are now Oscar level stuff cause they have Oscar guys.

Electromax posted:

He only wrote a couple scenes it sounds like, presumably comedic ones. The Sinister dude wrote most of the movie.

Some sites mention that it could be without credit, so not that big of a contribution.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

From a few pages ago:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is... actually super interesting. So what's the idea here? That it's the laws job to prove you did it and bring you to justice, and not necessarily your responsibility to report it? If hypothetically asked why you didn't report it to the police, what would be the legally appropriate response?
As a UK criminal lawyer:

If there was a justifiable killing that you would eventually be connected with (a near certainty given forensic science and the proliferation of CCTV), it would be absurd to not report it or stay silent when questioned. Giving a credible account from the outset and sticking to it is the best way to impress a jury. I appreciate that American and British law differs on the drawing of adverse inferences from a defendant remaining silent, but the idea that any jury would completely disregard a defendant's decision not to explain how a knife with his DNA ended up in someone's face because 'Silence is in the Constitution' is fanciful. You'd look as guilty as gently caress.

The standard YouTube advice to say nothing to anyone is only really sensible if you're either guilty or have had no involvement in the offence at all. If you will have something to explain eventually, think about it a bit more.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperTeeJay posted:

t any jury would completely disregard a defendant's decision not to explain how a knife with his DNA ended up in someone's face because 'Silence is in the Constitution' is fanciful. You'd look as guilty as gently caress.

You're getting your advice mixed up. "Don't talk to the cops" doesn't mean "Don't testify."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SuperTeeJay posted:

If there was a justifiable killing that you would eventually be connected with (a near certainty given forensic science and the proliferation of CCTV), it would be absurd to not report it or stay silent when questioned. Giving a credible account from the outset and sticking to it is the best way to impress a jury. I appreciate that American and British law differs on the drawing of adverse inferences from a defendant remaining silent, but the idea that any jury would completely disregard a defendant's decision not to explain how a knife with his DNA ended up in someone's face because 'Silence is in the Constitution' is fanciful. You'd look as guilty as gently caress.

The main reason people say this in the US is because cops here are anti-Suspect rights as poo poo and have absolutely zero compunctions about using a minor verbal misstep in the initial interview as evidence to lock your rear end up for days while they decide how to spin your initial, uncounseled statements (and, by extension, your attempts to explain in court) as incontrovertible evidence of guilty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The two top contenders to direct Captain Marvel are:

Lesli Linka Glatter (Homeland, Mad Men)
Lorene Scafaria (New Girl, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World)

I think they should get Elizabeth Banks

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Topolino posted:

Oh two guys. I'm sure Sucide Squad, Man of Steel and BvS are now retro-actively better now that I have this new information. Watch out Marvel! Two Oscar guys! They better advertise this so cinema goers can mentally adjust their expectations. They better think that these crappy movies are now Oscar level stuff cause they have Oscar guys.

Lol dude you're the one who said WB "desperately need good writters and creators to help save their movies". Defending the talent of the people who are already involved isn't even loving saying BvS or SS is good, it's just literally saying "they have good writers and creators involved already".

I'm sorry you don't like the movies and rail against anything remotely positive said about them tho. That must feel lovely.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Topolino posted:

People were making a fairly neutral statement about Ben Affleck's industry clout, relative to the cartoon guy.

You've unwittingly revealed that you evaluate movies by their 'Oscar levels'.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HIJK posted:

Dan Harmon's a funny guy and jokes are good.
I like his history channel webshow where he resurrects short term clones of famous people; my favorite being Paul F Thompkins as Edgar Allen Poe. Still no Bob Odenkirk as Lincoln though! :argh:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Dan Harmon's okay, he writes decent sitcoms that sometimes border on being overly obnoxious. That's pretty much it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

achillesforever6 posted:

I like his history channel webshow where he resurrects short term clones of famous people; my favorite being Paul F Thompkins as Edgar Allen Poe. Still no Bob Odenkirk as Lincoln though! :argh:

Tom Kenny as Lincoln seems more appropriate.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tom Kenny's wiseguy Lincoln is the best Lincoln.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The unfortunate part of Karloff's megapost is that he's basically voicing support for a fascist Batman; as long as Batman's not a murderous fascist, the fascism part is OK.

I gather that you're frustrated that I did not respond to your non-post.

Okay.

Oh dear.

Let's pare your post down - removing pointless redundancies, spurious claims, and empty "it's just bad" declarations:

I honestly tried.

You frankly don't seem to know why you are upset. "Deep writing troubles"? What are you even talking about.

The bulk of your post is spent complaining that nobody agrees with you. Maybe just write better.

I get why this was difficult for you; you SMG of course, would never make a post filled with pointless redundancies, spurious claims and empty "it's just bad" declarations.

The "deep writing troubles" in BvS are incredibly clear, at least to anyone with even the slightest understanding of story structure and characterization. Before you ask me to explain myself in this regard, you are welcome to search back through my posts in this thread where I explain it multiple times, please do, because all I will end up doing is copy and pasting stuff I have already written.

What you have been doing SMG is not offering interpretations from the text or even the subtext of the film, but writing fan-fiction and fan-theories to fill in the gaps of a terrible screenplay. And I can understand why, once given a terrible one dimensional Batman that fulfills every one-note indulgent badass ideal that you need him to be, hearing negative things about him can be difficult. But I urge you, let go of your need for fascist grim dark single dimension in your super-hero stories, your need to indulge in your basest teenage wants is showing too clearly. Batman can be fascist and is so often, but that does not mean those elements have to be dialed up to eleven at all times, because in case you haven't noticed (and I do feel you haven't) the idea of a superhero itself deals with fascist iconography, but most creators understand the need for balance and making a compelling, interesting character rather than hitting some sort of higher tier of baddasery because "he totally killed all those dudes and it's awesome and adult Mum!"

Sir Kodiak posted:

That's a fair question.

A Batman who attempts to keep the body count down would be fine, depending on how it's done. I'll be disappointed if he's still slamming skulls into concrete walls and there's just some dialog about how they're only knocked out. Or if he uses some fanfical tech that's so good that he can disable buildings full of people without killing anyone. But if it's an authentic restriction he has to overcome, if it's a goal he has to actually work for, where he's paying a price for his idealism, that's fine with me. That could be an interesting progression of the character.

That's a good point, and that's what I'd argue we should be seeing. A Batman who is focused on not killing spuriously adds an extra point of tension in the scene, there's a moment in Miller's Year One where Batman is trying to keep hold of a criminal who is going to fall off a building while other criminals are kicking him causing him to deal with them one-handed, it's a cool moment and it's the kind of stuff we haven't seen in many of the films at all at this point.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 25, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Karloff posted:

I gather that you're frustrated that I did not respond to your non-post.

Okay.

I get why this was difficult for you; you SMG of course, would never make a post filled with pointless redundancies, spurious claims and empty "it's just bad" declarations.

The "deep writing troubles" in BvS are incredibly clear, at least to anyone with even the slightest understanding of story structure and characterization. Before you ask me to explain myself in this regard, you are welcome to search back through my posts in this thread where I explain it multiple times, please do, because all I will end up doing is copy and pasting stuff I have already written.

What you have been doing SMG is not offering interpretations from the text or even the subtext of the film, but writing fan-fiction and fan-theories to fill in the gaps of a terrible screenplay. And I can understand why, once given a terrible one dimensional Batman that fulfills every one-note indulgent badass ideal that you need him to be, hearing negative things about him can be difficult. But I urge you, let go of your need for fascist grim dark single dimension in your super-hero stories, your need to indulge in your basest teenage wants is showing too clearly. Batman can be fascist and is so often, but that does not mean those elements have to be dialed up to eleven at all times, because in case you haven't noticed (and I do feel you haven't) the idea of a superhero itself deals with fascist iconography, but most creators understand the need for balance and making a compelling, interesting character rather than hitting some sort of higher tier of baddasery because "he totally killed all those dudes and it's awesome and adult Mum!"

I did not ask for you to write more.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I did not ask for you to write more.

But yet I did, this is the difficult and cruel world that we live in.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Karloff posted:

But yet I did, this is the difficult and cruel world that we live in.

Lol

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah true, its mostly because the reason why Lincoln showed up a lot in Mr. Show was because Bob had an obsession with having him in skits.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Karloff posted:

The "deep writing troubles" in BvS are incredibly clear, at least to anyone with even the slightest understanding of story structure and characterization.
This kind of statement is completely useless, and basically suggests "hey, Rotten Tomatoes backs me up here, so I'm gonna throw in some trash talk." A lot of your walls of text are heavily padded with statements like this, and "If it was good it would be good, but it's bad so it's bad" and things along those lines.

Can you back up your claim that you have an understanding of story structure and characterization? Your arguments against Batman in BvS have been unfocused and shifting constantly. You're pointing to a Batman who's being presented as an unstable guy clinging to fantasies, contradictions, and lies, and saying "why is he using non-lethal weapons when he doesn't have a problem with killing?" The fact that Batman is acting in inconsistent ways when living out his power fantasies is a point the movie is making, and you're attacking it as a mistake. At the end of the day, call the warehouse scene a power fantasy if you want, but Batman is not purely willing to slaughter everyone. He's overly willing to use weaponized vehicles in ways that will obviously kill people, but in person he's clearly still focused on incapacitating dudes.

When you take out your presumption that the writing is "just bad" as a basis for your arguments, there's not much there.

The worst part is this idea that the fans of the movie are just into the edgy grimdark Batman. This is a Batman shown repeatedly loving up, becoming the villain, and then embarrassingly having the wind taken out of his sails by his own mommy and daddy issues. To claim that people like this version of Batman because it's wish fulfillment is just pathetic, and it rests on the idea that all of these problems with Batman were just included accidentally and also the fans are too stupid to notice them.

Martman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 25, 2016

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Actually, my favorite part of Rick and Morty is the one where Rick would rather burn down his business than give his employees benefits, because that's what Justin Roiland tried to do IRL.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pretty much none of the people who like BvS viewed Batman as edgy and grimdark. At least not seriously. We were all amused at the trailer when Superman bonked the Batmobile and flew away before Bats finished his one liner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

W-we gotta go to the quantumverse, stephen, the qua-quantum verse *burp*, where all our dreams can come true, stephen, we gotta go there and get the quarks, stephen, y-y-you know the quarks, stephen? they're little magic balls, stephen, we gotta get the magic balls and eat em up, stephen, w-we-we gotta eat em

• Locked thread