Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

It's what happens when you try to put a mp4/gifv file into an img tag apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also broken on desktop.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Find a way to watch it because boy is it great.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AxiLL0HSiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqM0rUOv6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Qg39-2Sk4

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/m0ZXTuW.mp4

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

MasterFugu posted:

It's what happens when you try to put a mp4/gifv file into an img tag apparently.

No it was just linked improperly. Always use the direct link that ends with the file extension and not the url of the imgur gallery page.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Find a way to watch it because boy is it great.

Just press the quote button and copy the link and paste it in a new tab.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I love ragdoll physics in games, especially Euphoria. I think it's the biggest landmark in gaming tech since going 3D. But that video mostly reminds of how characters in GTAV are made of glass and the tiniest physics fuckery kills you stone dead which just prohibits all the fun. They should've made that stuff do way, way less damage than it does. I mean, they even have a dedicated ragdoll button in the game (except in multiplayer which is why multi sucks).

The physics in GTAV are toned back compared to the fourth game. Which is a shame, imo.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

dumbass forgot to put the file extension on the link

i'm also a dumbass, didn't know imgur stored mp4

bagual has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Aug 24, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bagual posted:

dumbass forgot to put the file extension on the link

i'm also a dumbass, didn't know imgur stored mp4

Giant gifs kill load times and crash browsers.

Don't use them, please.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Giant gifs kill load times and crash browsers.

Don't use them, please.

Terminator_2_Full_Movie.gif

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

The end of this needs a [DESIRE TO HELP INTENSIFIES] or something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dialhforhero posted:

The end of this needs a [DESIRE TO HELP INTENSIFIES] or something.

[DESIRE TO LOSE SONS INTENSIFIES]

Also, I'm obligated to post this every time Heavy Rain gets mentioned. Spoiler I guess; it's a bad game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Aug 24, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tunicate posted:

Terminator_2_Full_Movie.gif

:eyepop: poo poo I didn't even think that was possible.

Wasabi the J posted:

Also, I'm obligated to post this every time Heavy Rain gets mentioned. Spoiler I guess; it's a bad game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

This will always have a place of honour in my heart. Such a good glitc -- SHAUUUUUN!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

:eyepop: poo poo I didn't even think that was possible.

behold

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

I love ragdoll physics in games, especially Euphoria. I think it's the biggest landmark in gaming tech since going 3D. But that video mostly reminds of how characters in GTAV are made of glass and the tiniest physics fuckery kills you stone dead which just prohibits all the fun. They should've made that stuff do way, way less damage than it does. I mean, they even have a dedicated ragdoll button in the game (except in multiplayer which is why multi sucks).

That's something I hate in open world games in general, 90% of my deaths in The Witcher 3 are from fall damage.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Doom 2016 had clipping glitches that were kinda humorous but slightly frustrating in the past. I had it happen more than once in the Lazarus Labs level where an enemy would accidentally clip into a wall/platform/box while still being able to attack me. Funny because they couldn't move or get out so seeing arms or legs or fireballs coming out of platforms was silly as hell, but frustrating because you can't kill an enemy when they clip into an object and it sometimes impedes progress to the next level/checkpoint. It might be fixed now because I played last night in a different level and saw an imp clip into the ground, but it never came back or tried to attack me and I was able to finish the level after killing a couple other demons.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Phlegmish posted:

That's something I hate in open world games in general, 90% of my deaths in The Witcher 3 are from fall damage.

geralt has really fragile knees

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Geralt is in his 90s and has been living on the road for decades. He probably has serious back problems as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Stare-Out posted:

I'm so disappointed that Backbreaker never really caught on. American Football running in the euphoria engine? Looking like you're almost killing people whenever you do a diving tackle?

poo poo owned so much

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Testekill posted:

I'm so disappointed that Backbreaker never really caught on. American Football running in the euphoria engine? Looking like you're almost killing people whenever you do a diving tackle?

poo poo owned so much

and every time you did anything "BOOM! HERE COMES THE BOOM!"

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Started playing Deus Ex again for the first time in years, with the Revision mod. I miss this era of video game bugginess.

https://youtu.be/4DLmHe24w1U

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Testekill posted:

poo poo owned so much
Backbreaker Vengeance was super loving fun.
It was the best bits of the game without the boring FOOTBALL bits.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Phlegmish posted:

:same:

They really should stop putting fall damage in those kinda games except maybe in real ridiculous cases.

It's not realistic sure, but it's fun as gently caress and avoids having to repeat 15 min of progress because Geralt decided to step off a cliff and break his neck.

What a sad end for a man living such a dangerous life, tripped and fell 3 meters to his death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just beat Deus Ex: Mankind Divided having been shot at by a human being exactly once, and it was because of a cutscene I'd just exited from. I still died nearly a dozen times because of falldamage before I bought the icarus upgrade. :shepface:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK2pl7j7qok

In MGS5, this happens

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Fathis Munk posted:

:same:

They really should stop putting fall damage in those kinda games except maybe in real ridiculous cases.

Alternatively, you'd think it wouldn't be hard to program fatal drops with a perimeter that only allows you to fall down if you walk either straight through or back down over the edge or press a button or something.

It could even trigger a teetering animation, rather than just let your character briskly walk off a platform at a 10° angle to the edge. It would make many games with lots of levels and janky controls much more enjoyable.

Though if this thread has taught me anything, the teetering animation would probably get stuck on permanently.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Alternatively, you'd think it wouldn't be hard to program fatal drops with a perimeter that only allows you to fall down if you walk either straight through or back down over the edge or press a button or something.

It could even trigger a teetering animation, rather than just let your character briskly walk off a platform at a 10° angle to the edge. It would make many games with lots of levels and janky controls much more enjoyable.

Though if this thread has taught me anything, the teetering animation would probably get stuck on permanently.

i see nothing wrong here

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I just beat Deus Ex: Mankind Divided having been shot at by a human being exactly once, and it was because of a cutscene I'd just exited from. I still died nearly a dozen times because of falldamage before I bought the icarus upgrade. :shepface:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK2pl7j7qok

In MGS5, this happens
Pretty sure that *scrrkkk* noise is from his testicles exploding, so I give it a pass.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Another thing Dragon's Dogma did right. You teeter and stop when you approach an edge and have to confirm that you want to fall, and you can fall a huge distance and pull through, though you'll take damage after a certain height. I'm pretty sure you can jump off the highest wall in the city and land square on your face and just eat an overripe apple to get better.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

http://imgur.com/a/czKeQ

the new f1 game has an intresting podium (champange sprays just randomly spouting up in the background)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Or just get rid of fall damage. I've never played a game that had no fall damage and thought "You know, this game would be better if I lost my health every few minutes because I didn't want to walk down all these stairs".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, the first thing I did when I bought the PC version of the Witcher 3 was install a mod which turned off fall damage because the vanilla game is ridiculous in how much damage you take.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think fall damage is fine to have in an open world game and an involuntary animation every time you got near an edge might screw you over for each time you actually wanted to jump off a cliff for whatever reason. That said, some kind of a mechanic to lessen if not eliminate fall damage would be a good solution. Press crouch to make your character roll, or something else to deploy a parachute, whatever. That way you'd still have the option to leap off a mountain and pancake yourself on the ground.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In later Assassin's Creed games you need to hold a button to make any jump or drop that's not safe.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just do the roll when you hit the ground and the fall damage becomes perfectly reasonable in Witcher 3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo let you mitigate fall damage by crouching on impact (at least the games that had fall damage in the first place).

There's probably more of these little tricks than one thinks, but they aren't exactly banner features so you have to get pretty into a game to discover them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nuebot posted:

Or just get rid of fall damage. I've never played a game that had no fall damage and thought "You know, this game would be better if I lost my health every few minutes because I didn't want to walk down all these stairs".

Morrowind wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun without the triple whammy of 1) fall damage, 2) acrobatics skill affecting the cutoff for falling without damage, and 3) custom spells and enchantments. :getin:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Morrowind wouldn't have been anywhere near as much fun without the triple whammy of 1) fall damage, 2) acrobatics skill affecting the cutoff for falling without damage, and 3) custom spells and enchantments. :getin:

The Scrolls of Icarian Flight were honestly a hilarious gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Does anyone have the video of the Dead Space glitch where you throw a grenade immediately before a cutscene, which then plays out as normal except with the player's torso completely gone?