Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Agnostalgia posted:

Game seems pretty great. I really hope they change up elixirs to fill on shrine return like estus flasks, grinding for those between boss runs is nonsense even if it does go pretty quick. They do it with jutsus already, they clearly understand why its a good mechanic!

Also, are there just the two DLCs? I think I've done everything in the demo except the twilight version of the first sub-mission, gently caress that poo poo.

You always get filled up to 3 elixers when you pray at a shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Relin posted:

they nerfed the drop rates to compensate for no durability loss right? It seems to encourage farming, and I haven't gotten a second good dual katana in a while. I don't like this change, they should have just made the repair stones easier to obtain

not having durability is a good thing. less items to inventory manage also very good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can increase the number of elixirs you start with at the bottom of the ninja skills page

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How do I use ninjutsu?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you equip them from the shrine menu after you've unlocked them with skill points and then put them in your quick item slots

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The post-game content doesn't gently caress around. Twilight mode/this electric jerk are brutal.

I better get that cute lightning pup out of this.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Snak posted:

You always get filled up to 3 elixers when you pray at a shrine.

lets hang out posted:

you can increase the number of elixirs you start with at the bottom of the ninja skills page

You get refilled if you die with less than three, but you can hold up to ten, to start with. The ninja skill just increases that maximum, it was one of the first things I bought because I thought it worked like you did. Either way you still have to grind for healing items if you want more, which is lovely.

Something else does increase the number of elixirs you get when you visit a shrine but I'm not sure what. I get refilled to 5 now, was getting 4 for a while. Maybe level or Spirit?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
So is there a twilight version of Nakatsu, the caves level, in the beta? I'm finding conflicting information, it just tells me "twilight has not fallen yet" if I try to select it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

make sure you fight the dev ghosts, the ones with red names, sometimes they have special drops. like there's a dude in the first level who drops a full ronin set and another one in the caves that drops a full archer set

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I believe you get more from finding all the Kodama and it maxes out at 6. I have like 50 banked elixirs on top of my constant 13.

Also Twilight Cavern was available till last night at 11pm pst and then vanished and was replaced by the Twilight Island which wasn't available before.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They're seriously limiting access to areas based on what time it is? That's loving lame.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

How do I use my spirit buddy again? The button/combination isn't in the controls menu, and I forgot how to do it between demos.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Triangle and Circle.

Also I'll be streaming me helping people for a couple hours:
https://www.twitch.tv/belzaca

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How do I use ninjutsu?

Learn an active ninja skill in the skills tab then go to a shrine. Rotate to the set ninja skills menu. Click on a skill to "memorise" a skill, each has a point requirement and you have a max amount of points based on your stats. Then assign the skill to a quick button, multiple copies of the same skill stack onto the same button.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I played as pure ninja in the alpha and I'm doing the same again.
I noticed they severely nerfed exploding shurikens. If I recall it used to take 1 shuriken to set a yokai ablaze, now it takes 2 to build to a threshold to initiate the burn. It also does less damage initially and on its dot which seems percentage based. If a samurai starts blocking before the shuriken that's all ready stuck to him explodes, he negates all damage and buildup.
The boss in the caves takes 3 exploding shurikens to apply burn and 3 poison shurikens to apply poison.
Don't miss.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

slow magic still seems super good though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yokai gently caress me up. Are there any suggestions on using hammers/axes or is it just "git gud."

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Fuligin posted:

Yokai gently caress me up. Are there any suggestions on using hammers/axes or is it just "git gud."

Guard, circle behind them counterclockwise, hit once or twice and back off to avoid their backswing. Use ki pulse to clear Yokai realms as soon as possible so you don't get caught with no stamina. High stance rolls trigger ki pulse so you can make use of that, just be aware that you still need enough ki left to actually perform the roll.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If you hit them in the horns a few times they stagger, fall down, and let you execute them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anyone know what to do with Summoner's Candles?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

big appreciation for this dude having unblockable attacks that one shot me

shot him with an arrow and he hit me from the ground for most of my hp

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 25, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

lets hang out posted:

Anyone know what to do with Summoner's Candles?

Summoners candles summon your guardian spirit to you from your grave with all your souls.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ Thanks

try gesturing at the (cave stage) wall mimics :3:

twilight stages are great, tho I wish there were more kinds of demon guys because the basic vanilla kind are a little dull. is there supposed to be a secret boss somewhere?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Learn an active ninja skill in the skills tab then go to a shrine. Rotate to the set ninja skills menu. Click on a skill to "memorise" a skill, each has a point requirement and you have a max amount of points based on your stats. Then assign the skill to a quick button, multiple copies of the same skill stack onto the same button.

i really hope they streamline everything for release. i don't like having to juggle the shrine menu and the character menu so much

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Holy goddamn this game is fun, even if I'm terrible at it. Dark Souls et. al. were great at "learn your enemy", but to me at least they were missing the element of "learn your mechanics" to the degree that Nioh has, I love it. I feel so much more involved in the combat at any given moment and so far every time I've died I felt as though I had something to learn from it. Perfect Ki Pulsing into Iai slash feels really gosh dang good I mean shucks

Folks have been asking about how shrines restore more base elixirs - that's dependent on the number of Kodama you've guided back, per a menu-only tutorial tip. So, find more green dudes, get more base elixir.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
onryoki sure has some darksouls 2 level tracking on those loving balls, insert a gif here of him magnetizing the balls backwards out of his hand and behind his back to slam me :geno:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The more I play the more this feels like a next gen Onimusha to me and I'm kind of loving it. I'm still kind of garbage at it, of course, but it's got a feeling to it that I think a lot of modern action games are missing; everything recently seems to be striated into Dark Souls exacting, Bayonetta complicated, or Batman austere and Nioh feels like a comfortable middle ground.

Also trucking around like the samurai equivalent of the murderhobo is pretty great.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Nioh is also great as enemies (so far at least) don't impossibly pivot and track your rolling. Let that stay with Dark Souls please.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CapitanGarlic posted:

Holy goddamn this game is fun, even if I'm terrible at it. Dark Souls et. al. were great at "learn your enemy", but to me at least they were missing the element of "learn your mechanics" to the degree that Nioh has, I love it. I feel so much more involved in the combat at any given moment and so far every time I've died I felt as though I had something to learn from it. Perfect Ki Pulsing into Iai slash feels really gosh dang good I mean shucks

Folks have been asking about how shrines restore more base elixirs - that's dependent on the number of Kodama you've guided back, per a menu-only tutorial tip. So, find more green dudes, get more base elixir.

What I love about this is not only do you get the 'if you died, it was your fault, learn from it' that dark souls has, but even more than dark souls like, with dark souls sometimes you die and the lesson is just "hey, don't do that" or "there's a trap there, dont' go there" which feels a little cheap but hey whatever. But Nioh I feel like all my deaths aren't even like that, its not that I died and learn something from my death, its even more that I already knew what to do but I just kinda paniced and failed to execute it.

You've got tons of options in the fighting styles and the way you can combo, but the combat is so fast paced and dangerously lethal that one or two wrong moves because you were surprised is enough to kill you. Then I'll be sitting there looking at my body like "aah, why didn't I just X? I froze up!" but that's great. There's a real tension in the fighting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

What I love about this is not only do you get the 'if you died, it was your fault, learn from it' that dark souls has, but even more than dark souls like, with dark souls sometimes you die and the lesson is just "hey, don't do that" or "there's a trap there, dont' go there" which feels a little cheap but hey whatever. But Nioh I feel like all my deaths aren't even like that, its not that I died and learn something from my death, its even more that I already knew what to do but I just kinda paniced and failed to execute it.

You've got tons of options in the fighting styles and the way you can combo, but the combat is so fast paced and dangerously lethal that one or two wrong moves because you were surprised is enough to kill you. Then I'll be sitting there looking at my body like "aah, why didn't I just X? I froze up!" but that's great. There's a real tension in the fighting.

Nioh still has plenty of ambush enemies though.

Nioh has a really great pace. It's got a lot more options than Dark Souls, with the stance and combo system, it doesn't really have "magic missile" style magic, which is a huge plus in my book, and the removal of the durability system is great.

In fact, familiarity actually functions like reverse durability, since the more you use a weapon, the more the familiarity goes up, the more status effects it unlocks.

Also the reforging feature is super cool. Another little taste of Diablo. But better, since when you reforge, you can keep good effects and re-roll ones you don't like. And it's in fact cheaper to only reroll the effects you don't want, where I would have expected saving effects to be more expensive.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I never get tired of wiping the blood off the sword.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thanks to the beta and the flux skill you can now ki pulse and sheath your weapon at the same time, it's badass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WaltherFeng posted:

I never get tired of wiping the blood off the sword.

Yeah being able to manually put your sword back in its sheath and take it out whenever you want just feels good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Monolith. posted:

Nioh is also great as enemies (so far at least) don't impossibly pivot and track your rolling. Let that stay with Dark Souls please.

gently caress those salamanders in DkS2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I cheesed every single one of those with arrows, at least they only crop up in one optional area (that I can remember)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yodzilla posted:

gently caress those salamanders in DkS2.

While I love it, DS2 really was the absolute worst about some enemies having rotating platform soles in their feet.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Is there a blacksmith in this demo? I just started the 2nd map and didn't see the option anywhere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Demtor posted:

Is there a blacksmith in this demo? I just started the 2nd map and didn't see the option anywhere.

If you select starting point on the main map, you can select blacksmith there.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Gah! Thanks. Thought it was just the playable tutorial again. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Demtor posted:

Gah! Thanks. Thought it was just the playable tutorial again. :doh:

Yeah each location on the main map brings up a menu showing what it is, so it's safe to select them all and see what they are. You have to confirm that you want to go to them before it takes you off the map.