Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My local Autozone is bitches and they won't take anything but oil, and whine about even taking that.

Luckily there's a NAPA, O'Reillys, Advance Auto, and a Baxters and a Knechts all within three blocks of me, so I can just take stuff to whichever one complains the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have a recycling centre but given recent council cuts I'm 90% sure it all gets dumped in the same landfill when nobody's looking.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Unless I'm mistaken, they receive cash money for old oil because it's easy for a refiner to reprocess. Why would they bitch about it :confused:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You didn't hear this from me, but you can put old brake fluid in with your old oil and drop it off at any place that accepts used oil. :ssh: In some states this is the governmentally-sanctioned disposal method.

Brake fluid is no more toxic than the used oil itself, and it won't "contaminate the batch" or "ruin the equipment" or anything. It all goes to a re-refining plant where all kinds of organic waste chemicals are combined, processed into fractions, and either refined back into useful products or burned directly for power. Don't put brake cleaner in; that's a chlorinated solvent that is quite toxic when burned. But brake fluid is organic and is easily handled by the refinery.

You can also pour a limited amount (like a gallon or two per day) of old engine coolant into the toilet. The bacteria at the sewage treatment plant love the glycol.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

If you don't have a power bleeder manually bleed the master using the banjo bolt. Z3n showed everyone this handy trick a few weekends ago.

Could you or Zen run me through this, then? I rebuilt calipers and replaced brake lines last week and it's not feeling as firm as I was expecting, even after a quart's worth of bleeding. Dual front line not helping anything, either.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Treat the banjo as a bleed screw. squeeze handle, crack open banjo, close after fluid/air stops, release lever. rinse lather repeat. be sure to put some shoptowels/absorbent under it to keep things tidy and keep from ruining the paintwork on your moto.

a method I've used for dirtbikes/single caliper problem bikes is to pull the caliper and place it above the master. bleed it that way. put something in the caliper to keep from pushing the pistons out. (small piece of wood works)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

TheNothingNew posted:

even after a quart's worth of bleeding.

Really? That sounds like a shitload, I bleed my brakes and they come out perfect after like 2-4 ounces.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Have you tried leaving the brake compressed overnight? That always works for me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Have you tried leaving the brake compressed overnight? That always works for me.

Have you had this work as a long-term solution?

I've always heard that it just compresses the air that's trapped in there into solution, and over time it returns to a few larger bubbles that are causing the sponginess.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes, it's worked permanently. My understanding is that it coaxes stuck bubbles to the top by way of higher fluid pressures, so it purges the bubble to the reservoir when you release it the next day. Worked for my ninjette. I also cannot recommend speed bleeders enough. At :10bux: a pop, doing it manually seems so primitive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Yes, it's worked permanently. My understanding is that it coaxes stuck bubbles to the top by way of higher fluid pressures, so it purges the bubble to the reservoir when you release it the next day. Worked for my ninjette. I also cannot recommend speed bleeders enough. At :10bux: a pop, doing it manually seems so primitive.

Isn't the point of strapping the brake on to open the MC valve and let the air bubbles out the top?

(I've literally no idea if that's the case or if it's even possible, it's just a guessl)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Would the bubbles travel to the top better if the whole system is under pressure, is that the idea? That's a new one to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Interesting. Gonna try this tonight before I get out the bleeding supplies.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Update on the Brutale misfires:

The dealer tech figured out that an overly sensitive quick shifter caused the issue. With it disabled, no problem. Tech said they need to contact MV to figure out whether some kind of adjustment is necessary or whether a new quick shifter is needed. While I like the shifter, it's hardly necessary, so that's good.

Also, the rear rack finally arrived at the shop. Going to install this baby this weekend.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Would the bubbles travel to the top better if the whole system is under pressure, is that the idea? That's a new one to me.

High pressure makes the individual bubbles a lot smaller. My assumption is that this makes them less likely to "adhere" to the inside of the system for lack of sufficient surface area, and will float to the top easier as they pass out of the brake cylinder, through the banjo bolts and lines without sticking.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

RadioPassive posted:

Really? That sounds like a shitload, I bleed my brakes and they come out perfect after like 2-4 ounces.

This was from completely dry; master cylinder, two lines, two calipers. Hadn't dealt with a two-line system before, might have added to the issue.

Thanks for the advice, everyone, I have some new things to try.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Have just discovered that the retaining bolt for my rear brake light switch has sheared off, so when I push the pedal the whole switch just bobs down without activating. gently caress knows how long it's been like that, probably about two months considering that's when I noticed it being dicky leaving work and forgot to check it when I got home :cripes:

So now I've got to drill out what's left and re-tap the hole; any tips? It's a blind hole, originally made for an M6x14 bolt. Here's the diagram for reference, it's parts 180 and 11044.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, that doesn't matter. You're always using the front and rear brake simultaneously, right?

e: but seriously, get yourself a set of left-handed drill bits and start drilling. Often the screw will break loose just from that if you hit it with penetrating oil first.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Have just discovered that the retaining bolt for my rear brake light switch has sheared off, so when I push the pedal the whole switch just bobs down without activating. gently caress knows how long it's been like that, probably about two months considering that's when I noticed it being dicky leaving work and forgot to check it when I got home :cripes:

So now I've got to drill out what's left and re-tap the hole; any tips? It's a blind hole, originally made for an M6x14 bolt. Here's the diagram for reference, it's parts 180 and 11044.

Sheared off, as in the head of the bolt is gone? If you can get the bolt out, and assuming it was not crossthreaded in there, you won't need to retap it. Drilling out the bolt is a last resort. How much of the bolt is left exposed? If there is enough of the bolt left to get a vice grip on it, try that. Or, take a dremel and cut a notch in the end of the bolt for a flat head screwdriver (a big one). If the bolt is recessed into a hole, you are stuck with an ez-out or reverse bit. It's only an M6 so it shouldn't need a lot of torque to remove it. Penetrating oil it first, and let it sit overnight.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's recessed quite a bit. Think I'll try a reverse bit first, thanks for the suggestion.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Worst case you can get switches that activate via pressure. banjo washers too!

LH bit and pray to whatever deity you believe in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like the B12 I've bought has a microsquirt running unidentified throttlebodies (the install is extremely clean and professional looking), paired to a generic box running the factory ignition coils. Am I right to assume that, in the absence of an o2 sensor, it must have been dyno tuned? According to the insurance company the guy rode it fairly regularly so I imagine if it was done quick-and-dirty using the butt dyno it would've melted by now. Is there any way to tell just by looking at the maps?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, how does it ride?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No way to tell for sure by looking at maps but I can't see a squirt setup not being put on a dyno. Make sure the headers are evenly hot I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, how does it ride?

It has a buckled rear wheel so I have no idea :v:

Also has gsxr1100 forks with springs that seem ludicrously stiff, don't know whether that's really a good thing but it looks cool.

clutchpuck posted:

No way to tell for sure by looking at maps but I can't see a squirt setup not being put on a dyno. Make sure the headers are evenly hot I guess.

Right, gotta balance the TB's first then I'll try finding the laser thermometer and hope the chinese batteries haven't leaked.

I have literally never seen MS or any of it's variants IRL so I'm learning as I go and it's fun. Not working on cars for a living is amazing :unsmith:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sagebrush posted:

Running the battery totally flat (like <10V open circuit) is enough to kill it, yeah, and leaving the headlight on for a week would definitely get you there. It might hold enough of a charge to work if you were riding every day, but a week of sitting around is enough to drain a bad battery far enough that it won't start.

Remember that motorcycle batteries are more sensitive to damage than e.g. car batteries because they're a lot smaller.

Quick cheap fix: get a Battery Tender Jr. for $20 on Amazon. It will keep the battery charged enough for you to start it reliably, and may even recover some of the capacity over time. Worthwhile investment for any bike that isn't ridden regularly anyway.

Follow up postin to say that I got the weather proof version (the junior wasnt avaible anywhere in australia) and its done the trick real well. And it mounts right on the wall of the shed too!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cool! Just remember that the battery still may not stay charged after a day or two of being off tender. Or it might recover some capacity over time -- it depends how badly discharged it was when you left the lights on, and how long it stayed in that state. I'd definitely test how well the bike starts after a few days of sitting before you leave for any multi-day trips.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Should my fiance and I do a 2 up ride through LA tomorrow, following two riders with 3 suspended licenses and 2 duis between them? My bike would be the only one not leaking fluid from multiple places (because it ran dry 300 miles ago).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i would definitely try to be ahead of the guys leaking fluid, not behind

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
He's bragging about having never checked a valve and the rest of my fiance's family are nodding their heads at his wisdom, telling me I could learn about bikes from him.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Chichevache posted:

Should my fiance and I do a 2 up ride through LA tomorrow, following two riders with 3 suspended licenses and 2 duis between them? My bike would be the only one not leaking fluid from multiple places (because it ran dry 300 miles ago).

Do you have a go pro?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
ride up front. strap some rotella to your rack. that should keep em from running off the road.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

Do you have a go pro?

I hella need one. We probably won't go. I, clearly, don't want to ride with these clowns.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just be honest about why you don't want to ride with them and you'll solve the problem of ever having to be around them again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just be honest about why you don't want to ride with them and you'll solve the problem of ever having to be around them again.

Unfortunately they're related to my girlfriend, so no, that's not an option. They're one of those families where no one can do any wrong at all, even if the breathalyzer says .28. The cops were lying.:jerkbag:

I'll take a picture of their chicken strips later so you see what I mean.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you ride with them, you'll be providing them with an audience, so it'll be on you when they wad it into a divider.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

If you ride with them, you'll be providing them with an audience, so it'll be on you when they wad it into a divider.

Nah, that's bullshit. I like watching idiots hurt themselves, that doesn't make me responsible for the idiots hurting themselves.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Christ Chich, why didn't you tell me i was about to highside?! Thanks for giving me a heads up rear end in a top hat.

or something like that, they sound like the type

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Day Man posted:

Nah, that's bullshit. I like watching idiots hurt themselves, that doesn't make me responsible for the idiots hurting themselves.

It was a joke. I'm tryin to give the guy an out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

It was a joke. I'm tryin to give the guy an out.

But I was really looking forward to the go pro video. :f5: