Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This gritty Batman isn't going to amount to anything because the (completely justified) backlash against BvS was so strong he'll almost certainly not retain any of the murderous traits we saw in it. We're getting "normal" Batman again, because the market wills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yaws posted:

This gritty Batman isn't going to amount to anything because the (completely justified) backlash against BvS was so strong he'll almost certainly not retain any of the murderous traits we saw in it. We're getting "normal" Batman again, because the market wills it.

It'll almost be like his character arc in BvS was him getting over those murderous traits!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

It'll almost be like his character arc in BvS was him getting over those murderous traits!

Martha?!? MARTHA!

I see the light now. I'm redeemed! All is forgiven! Lets go get Lex!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yaws posted:

Martha?!? MARTHA!

I can understand that Batman was able to figure it out, since he is a great detective, while you are not.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Yaws posted:

Does the market also will you to not know what character development is?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yaws posted:

Martha?!? MARTHA!

It's ok to not like a movie.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Yaws posted:

Seriously, people said the same bloody thing about BvS addressing the collateral damage of Man of Steel. They didn't just address it, it was a core concept of the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's really cool that Zack Snyder had a crystal ball that allowed him to see the future and literally end the movie with Batman reflecting on his behavior and saying "I failed here"... before a single audience member had a meltdown about it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

Seriously, people said the same bloody thing about BvS addressing the collateral damage of Man of Steel. They didn't just address it, it was a core concept of the movie.

I mean like, if there's one thing I've learned not to underestimate it's nerds' willful density about the putrid morals of Zack Snyder. Here are statements that I have seen ascribed to Snyder on account of Thomas Wayne reaches for Joe Chill's gun in the opening flashback of Batman v Superman:

- Snyder takes such a pessimistic and misanthropic view of humanity that he is incapable of imagining a scenario where someone would not react to the threat of violence with violence of their own
- Snyder has such an uncritical and glorifying take on the male power fantasy that he felt the need to make his version of Thomas Wayne more "badass" and "dark", even though any attempts at self-defense on Wayne's part are canonically doomed to failure

So like, whether upcoming movies stay the course, show development that forms a through line across the series, incorporate new themes and issues, whatever, I feel like I got faith in otherwise reasonable folks to start with their weirdly specific beliefs of what Snyder must be like as a person and backsolve for those beliefs after consulting the text

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Snyder, a known Ayn Rand lover, almost definitely intended it to be sad for Doomsday, a clearly superior being, to be brought down by a bunch of parasites.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Doomsday represents the transformation and empowerment of workers.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Yaws posted:

Martha?!? MARTHA!

Memes are not discussion. Please discuss cinema in Cinema Discusso.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pirate Jet posted:

Memes are not discussion. Please discuss cinema in Cinema Discusso.

It actually explains a lot. Yaws' mother is not named Martha.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Searching for a woman returns her husband. Nice misogyny google in 2016.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Who's the best Ma 'n' Pa kent? Separately or together.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Jenny Angel posted:

So like, whether upcoming movies stay the course, show development that forms a through line across the series, incorporate new themes and issues, whatever, I feel like I got faith in otherwise reasonable folks to start with their weirdly specific beliefs of what Snyder must be like as a person and backsolve for those beliefs after consulting the text

A few months ago, I actually saw a critic accuse Snyder of mistreating his mother, their "evidence" being the ~grimdarkness~ of his superhero movies.

Snyder's mother died in 2010.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everyone complains about Zack Snyder but once you realize he's actually very religious all of his films pretty much make perfect sense. That and all the Arthurian stuff that's in the film. It's really kind of neat because he's basically telling the story of the Dolorous Stroke.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 25, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Equeen posted:

A few months ago, I actually saw a critic accuse Snyder of mistreating his mother, their "evidence" being the ~grimdarkness~ of his superhero movies.

Snyder's mother died in 2010.

Zack Snyder used his blood to turn his dead mom into a genetic abomination monster, it's pretty hosed up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Zack Snyder used his blood to turn his dead mom into a genetic abomination monster, it's pretty hosed up.

A real nerd would either make deals with Mephisto, or use forbidden alchemy.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't Darko say at one point that Snyder was one of the funnest and friendliest directors to work with, like he was totally happy to geek out and socialize with extras in a way that most directors wouldn't be (not really a slight to those directors, since making a movie is no doubt stressful as gently caress and you deal with it how you gotta deal with it, short of actually abusing people on set)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Hillary/Snyder 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Didn't Darko say at one point that Snyder was one of the funnest and friendliest directors to work with, like he was totally happy to geek out and socialize with extras in a way that most directors wouldn't be (not really a slight to those directors, since making a movie is no doubt stressful as gently caress and you deal with it how you gotta deal with it, short of actually abusing people on set)

Darko is just Snyder's SA account that he uses to make himself look better online with. He also has a reddit, fake twitter, facebook, and even keeps up a myspace. I'm in the know.

e: his parachute yelp account is loving awful though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm still baffled that people point to Snyder's love of The Fountainhead as a reason to claim that his heroes are Randian, and then use that as another reason to attack him. Admittedly, I haven't watched Dawn of the Dead in a decade and I haven't gotten around to watching Sucker Punch yet, but even the most rudimentary viewing of the rest of his movies suggests to me that Rand's archetypes aren't viewed particularly positively by him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm still baffled that people point to Snyder's love of The Fountainhead as a reason to claim that his heroes are Randian, and then use that as another reason to attack him. Admittedly, I haven't watched Dawn of the Dead in a decade and I haven't gotten around to watching Sucker Punch yet, but even the most rudimentary viewing of the rest of his movies suggests to me that Rand's archetypes aren't viewed particularly positively by him.

The funny part is that a lot of the critics are probably unironic Randians themselves.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I love how noted internet libertarian hotspots seem to run cold when he's brought up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Zack Snyder is a man with big biceps who makes lots of money creating art in defiance of people's expectations. Of course Randroids hate him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bedshaped posted:

Searching for a woman returns her husband. Nice misogyny google in 2016.

Ashok Kumar!?!?!? This guy's supposed to be from Kansas! Not my Pa Kent!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gorn Myson posted:

He's said dumb things about Rand being very smart and loving the Fountainhead. I don't think his movies come across as especially Randian though.

Do yourself a favor and continue to avoid watching Sucker Punch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gorn Myson posted:

If Zack Snyder set out to make a movie to prove he wasn't an Objectivist it would probably look a lot like Sucker Punch.

Watch the director's cut of Sucker Punch. At a minimum, it is an extremely weird, unique, personal movie.

Also it's really telling that when the chips were down for Snyder early this year and he was getting tarred by the movie enthusiast press, nobody could find a single person to talk poo poo about him in the industry. Contrast that with Josh Trank.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 25, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm Dean Cain DC Super Hero Girl

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's said dumb things about Rand being very smart and loving the Fountainhead. I don't think his movies come across as especially Randian though.

Do yourself a favor and continue to avoid watching Sucker Punch.

I don't remember him saying Rand specifically was very smart, I do remember him saying that Fountainhead is a good book about being an artist.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't remember him saying Rand specifically was very smart, I do remember him saying that Fountainhead is a good book about being an artist.

It's because Leon is lying, unfortunately. This is ALL he ever said:

"I have been working on The Fountainhead. I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something. Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit."

He's misremembering because a shotgun blast of articles took this quote and spun it into "Zack Snyder is a garbage Objectivist who hates Superman and worships Ayn Rand"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

His two big quotes about Rand that people jump on are:

Him saying that he loves The Fountainhead and that it “felt like ‘The Fountainhead’ was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something”

And him describing Veidt from Watchman as Randian and saying that means he is smart and does what he does without regard for public opinion.

I don't think he is a die-hard randroid though. But people jump on him for saying those things.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He doesn't even necessarily say it's good in that quote, really.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Him saying that he loves The Fountainhead and that it “felt like ‘The Fountainhead’ was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something”

And him describing Veidt from Watchman as Randian, which means he's very smart, talented, and does what he does without regard for public opinion.

The "love" part is fictional...again...

& isn't Veidt kind of a fucker

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

And him describing Veidt from Watchman as Randian and saying that means he is smart and does what he does without regard for public opinion.

I don't think he is a die-hard randroid though. But people jump on him for saying those things.

Oh okay, I knew of those quotes I was just curious if there was something specific about Ayn that he said, since both of those don't really endorse Rand and Veidt is the bad guy of Watchmen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh okay, I knew of those quotes I was just curious if there was something specific about Ayn that he said, since both of those don't really endorse Rand and Veidt is the bad guy of Watchmen.

Yeah, I think people overreact to that stuff, but they are kind of dumb quotes.

The Fountainhead's message isn't really about the creative process except in a superficial sense. The same way that Atlas Shrugged isn't really about the railroad industry. The creative process / architecture is the vehicle to take down collectivism and praise individualism. Also, conflating someone being Randian with being smart and "not caring about public opinion" is a very positive spin on Veidt.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, I think people overreact to that stuff, but they are kind of dumb quotes.

The Fountainhead's message isn't really about the creative process except in a superficial sense. The same way that Atlas Shrugged isn't really about the railroad industry. The creative process / architecture is the vehicle to take down collectivism and praise individualism. Also, conflating someone being Randian with being smart and "not caring about public opinion" is a very positive spin on Veidt.

Actually do u have a source for the "Randian" thing? Because I can't find it anywhere.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Actually, there's nothing dumb about what he said. If he read The Fountainhead as a thesis on the creative process then it's up to him to make the argument for it. The argument that he makes definitely could be stupid. But, saying "I read The Fountainhead as a rumination on the creative process" is not intrinsically dumb. I mean the whole book does center around an rear end in a top hat who designs the objectively best skyscrapers and blows up his work when it's compromised.

Veidt is literally a guy who makes Adrian's Gulch out in the Antarctic and retreats there. He's described as "the smartest man in the world" in the original text of the book and tells people he's going to do it his way or not at all. Yeah, he's totally a Randian protagonist. That's pretty accurate and the fact that Snyder makes him the villain is not really an endorsement.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Looking for the quote I did find someone pointing out that in BvS "Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Comedian) was Thomas Wayne, Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl) was the voice of the US President and Carla Gugino (Silk Spectre) was the voice of Kryptonian ship."
Which is neat

• Locked thread