Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Lovely, my alma mater is getting in trouble because they're offering a diversity course for RAs. Just for RAs, mind you.

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2016/08/suny_binghamton_offering_stop_white_people_course_controversy_ensues.html

Stupid name? Yeah, I guess. But when I was last there, there was a huge controversy because the liberal student newspaper published an editorial claiming that doing blackface for Halloween was about as racist as dressing up as an Oompa-Loompa. That led to the (few) black staff on the paper resigning in protest. The conservative student newspaper (the Review, who first reported on the story) likes to make rape jokes on its covers and accuse protesting black students of being Marxists.

Bing has a pretty diverse student body with a lot of resources - lots of exchange students from India and South Korea, one of the only Arabic majors at a public school in the country, lots of kids from poor families in New York City - but all my RAs were white, and I had black friends with very serious complaints about how they were treated by faculty. Bing also has the typical institutional bad-at-handling-on-campus-sexual-assault problem, to the point of having an open Title IX investigation in 2014. But having the RAs recognize these issues and get the tools to deal with them is bad because cultural marxism or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's really rotten that a CEO of a company is practically obligated to do anything they can to raise profits for the shareholders, no matter who gets hurt in the process. I don't know how I'd suggest changing that, and to what, though.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

How common are books that are meant to provide some kind of an influence on an upcoming election? I can only imagine Coulter is walking back her absolute support of Trump with the excuse that it's because of his softening on immigration, when in actuality this book could have been on it's way to the printers just as Trump's numbers started to crash.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dork457 posted:

How common are books that are meant to provide some kind of an influence on an upcoming election? I can only imagine Coulter is walking back her absolute support of Trump with the excuse that it's because of his softening on immigration, when in actuality this book could have been on it's way to the printers just as Trump's numbers started to crash.

It's a whole industry. None of these people actually write their own books, and I'm sure very few even sit in with the Ghostwriter to direct the theme/content at a vague level. The whole thing is driven by a huge class of unemployed English and Creative Writing majors who just sign on to churn out these things as quickly as possible. If you go to places like Sam's or Costco you'll see these pilled high in their "book" section, then after the election they all get dumped into dollar stores and book resellers.

Bet you $10 Coulter doesn't even know what's actually written in that book.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Periodiko posted:

I'm reading this paragraph, and besides appreciating that amazing bolded nothing-sentence, I'm not seeing any real clarity on what she thinks here. Like, does she actually think 3 strikes laws and increasing penalties were a mistake? She literally only offers that "those kinds of actions have had consequences". That's an absurdly vague sentence, constructed to offer virtually no judgement and as little meaning as possible.

Even if you look at an earlier slightly more coherent bit, it's still amazingly insubstantive:

Like, this just reads like gobbledegook to me. "I'm going to look at the world, figure out what to do, and that's what I'm going to do as President?" That's a Trump-level answer. Also, again, she doesn't condemn past policies, she frames at as "rethinking and redoing what we did in response to a different set of problems."

It's really hard not to get the impression that Hillary thinks the criminal justice reforms of the 90's were basically a reasonable response to a crisis, but now that that crisis has abated we need new policies. That's a pretty huge difference of opinion from BLM, and it feels like she's dancing around it to avoid having to say it outright.

After reading the whole thing, I honestly feel worse about Clinton than I did before, and I was actually hoping for the opposite. Even for a politician, this is some pretty weak stuff. I've seen Rand Paul come down harder on 3 Strikes laws.

She's saying that she agrees that many of the policies enacted in the 90s had unintentional consequences and, in hindsight, were actually bad policies in and of themselves. They were however popular and done with the goal, at least on the part of the Clintons, to help black people and were popular with black people at the time. She's saying it in the most nothing way possible so that there is no soundbite that can be used against her. It's as close as you're going to get to a clear and open declaration that while having good intentions, they done hosed up from a Clinton prior to Hillary joining Obama in the free land of post Presidential existence.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's meant to influence the upcoming election as it is to cash in on Trumpmania before it inevitably dies. Coulter's whole career is just cranking out low-effort books for the idiot right to buy, then saying something stupid to get attention from the media.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The best part about Kalman's posts on the matter are that the same structure of his argument could be used to justify just about any business practice. In fact, it often is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is a bit strange why epipen is getting all this attention while the exact same thing has been happening to other more widely used and more life-critical medications. We've already noted in the thread that insulin has skyrocketed in cost, why haven't people been dragging those manufacturers in front of congress? If it is a "think of the children" issue why haven't we had national freakouts over rescue inhalers going from $15 to $150?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Boon posted:

The best part about Kalman's posts on the matter are that the same structure of his argument could be used to justify just about any business practice. In fact, it often is.

You could almost stretch it to justifying price gouging on critical life-saving medicine that treats a common, non-lifestyle-related condition. That would be a bridge too far, but I could see someone trying it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

It is a bit strange why epipen is getting all this attention while the exact same thing has been happening to other more widely used and more life-critical medications. We've already noted in the thread that insulin has skyrocketed in cost, why haven't people been dragging those manufacturers in front of congress? If it is a "think of the children" issue why haven't we had national freakouts over rescue inhalers going from $15 to $150?

As someone who has horrific asthma and goes through an inhaler once every month to two months, the inhaler cost increase is what made me aware of all this poo poo happening with medicine. What's worse is that they've made the size of them smaller and put a counter that doesn't accurately gauge how much is left in it so you're often at zero well before the actual medication is out. It's awful and slimy and the industry needs some serious oversight, or else this is going to keep happening.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Btw, gently caress anyone trying to justify this EpiPen madness. I've got scores of knuckledragging troglodytes on my facebook feed blaming "YOUR GOVERNMENT" for making it compulsory in schools and quoting Econ 101 textbooks about supply and demand.

For-profit healthcare is ironically killing this country--both literally and financially. The sooner we realize and remedy this, the sooner we can stop stressing ourselves into early graves.

But special interests have convinced low-IQ voters that healthcare has to be extraordinarily expensive and that multibillion dollar, multinational pharma and insurance conglomerates really do have their best interests at heart and certainly aren't killing them for marginal stock gains...

Jesus, gently caress this stupid country. Right in its Larry the Cable Guy watching rear end in a top hat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I think a lot of people don't notice because the bargained price for these medicines is much lower if you have insurance. Poor people without insurance feel that harder but they don't have as loud a voice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

I think a lot of people don't notice because the bargained price for these medicines is much lower if you have insurance. Poor people without insurance feel that harder but they don't have as loud a voice.

I've seen articles where pharmaceutical companies have straight up said they set pricing with the assumption that people aren't paying the entire amount.

With the proliferation of high deductible plans I don't think that is a tenable position to take anymore.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

Yeah, this. It's only really felt by poor people unless the price rises to heinous levels in one go so most don't even notice. Poor people getting screwed over is honestly seen as a positive since it provides extra "motivation" to bootstrap or whatever.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It's going to get a lot more interesting in a hurry because Caremark and ExpressScripts are getting increasingly aggressive about blacklisting medications for price hikes. My wife has already had to deal with several patients on smaller plans who had to switch insulin types at the start of 2016.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Freakazoid_ posted:

Hillary Clinton loves to compromise. She is the compromiser in chief.
This is synonymous with "Hillary Clinton is a good president", FYI

Recognizing where and when you need to compromise is a huge part of the job

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah but if the compromise is "cops wear more body cameras they are allowed to turn off when they commit crimes (since the law doesn't care even if they technically aren't supposed to) and then assume that the racist justice system will be fair" that's a bad compromise. I'm not saying she is going to do that but compromise isn't inherently a good thing as Obama's Great Compromise that we luckily avoided showed. That doesn't mean let the perfect be the enemy of the good and never compromise (that's what the GOP is currently loving the country by doing) but you have to be smart about it. I'm hoping she will be.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 25, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These articles about GOP out performing Dems in registering new voters down here in FL is concerning. We have a grand total of one statewide elected Democrat (Bill Nelson) and that's with a Democratic edge in voter registration. What I have no idea is that if this is just typical FL Dem incompetence or if people are actually enthused enough about Trump to actually get off their rear end and go vote for him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Radish posted:

Yeah but if the compromise is "cops wear more body cameras they are allowed to turn off when they commit crimes (since the law doesn't care even if they technically aren't supposed to) and then assume that the racist justice system will be fair" that's a bad compromise. I'm not saying she is going to do that but compromise isn't inherently a good thing as Obama's Great Compromise that we luckily avoided showed. That doesn't mean let the perfect be the enemy of the good and never compromise (that's what the GOP is currently loving the country by doing) but you have to be smart about it. I'm hoping she will be.

I can't imagine a better candidate for picking and choosing her battles, honestly.

And she's got the benefit of Obama having already fallen into a bunch of the Republican's traps, so she won't be surprised by them.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I can't imagine a better candidate for picking and choosing her battles, honestly.

And she's got the benefit of Obama having already fallen into a bunch of the Republican's traps, so she won't be surprised by them.

Yeah I'm optimistic about her. Obama has me gun-shy about compromising with people acting in bad faith but he's not as bad now and Hillary is already keenly aware.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Shifty Pony posted:

In the alternate universe where rescue inhalers got most of the copy-cat news cycle, you're posting about why we aren't freaking out about epipen price rises, just so you know.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Radish posted:

Yeah I'm optimistic about her. Obama has me gun-shy about compromising with people acting in bad faith but he's not as bad now and Hillary is already keenly aware.

Not to mention her sheer hatred of the GOP.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Re drug chat:

Is there a reason we don't have a testing and certification procedure for foreign made pharmaceuticals? Besides lobbying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

foot posted:

Man, if only BLM had put together a list of points, possibly ten of them, and released it to the public at any time during the past year.

As far as I'm aware, that conversation between Clinton and the Black Lives Matter activist was before they released the list of points. It came back up because Democracy Now interviewed the activist who talked to her recently, not because the discussion happened recently. It happened last year.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
jacking up insulin prices is literally going to kill thousands of people. I don't understand how a non-sociopath could advance an argument in support of jacking up critical medication prices. maybe we're all misreading Kalman and they're really just explaining it, but I doubt it, because it's self-evident why companies are doing it (and why they think they can get away with it). Shkreli is probably garden variety compared to the actual complete monsters running the pharmaceutical industry (and for that matter the people like Kalman eagerly carrying their water).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if the price of dog insulin will go up. My mom has a diabetic dog. If that price doesn't go up, I imagine people are going to start buying dog insulin for themselves and using that. You'll have a whole black market.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

Re drug chat:

Is there a reason we don't have a testing and certification procedure for foreign made pharmaceuticals? Besides lobbying.

Regulatory capture combined with bureaucratic creep. FDA wants to control drug manufacturing, and the drug companies they work with on a regular basis don't want to compete with their own international pricing. Nobody who "matters" has any incentive to allow Canadian/Mexican origin drugs onto the market.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think it's really rotten that a CEO of a company is practically obligated to do anything they can to raise profits for the shareholders, no matter who gets hurt in the process. I don't know how I'd suggest changing that, and to what, though.

It's beginning to slowly come back around stakeholders but that will be a very slow change.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Subvisual Haze posted:

Multi-source generic topical products have increased in price by 2-4 times in the last 2 years, inhalers have gone up 2-3x in the last decade or so, insulin would cost some of my patients near a thousand dollars each month, and list goes on and on.

Inhalers went up because they switched off CFCs for deploying the medication even though the total amount used was absolutely tiny.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

Inhalers went up because they switched off CFCs for deploying the medication even though the total amount used was absolutely tiny.

does that account for why the same inhalers that cost hundreds of dollars in the states go for less than twenty dollars in europe (2013 article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/us/the-soaring-cost-of-a-simple-breath.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Josef bugman posted:

Oh no, as in that was a side thought! Sorry! And yeah... I'm not really that bright I am afraid, I am trying to be though with the arguementation here, trying to make good points etc. Sorry.

You know what you raise a lot of very good points. Loads of people here have.

However I still don't neccesarily agree. I think that there is a problem in saying that "Everything is shades of grey" because that only ever seems to be being said when trying to justify things that look/are somewhat bad.

Joseph there is something you are missing here that nobody brought up yet and I'm impatient so I'm just going to post it.

You are incorrectly assuming that if I purchase stock from company X that this benefits company X because that is one possible definition of the word "invest". In the real world this only occurs if you buy the stock directly from the company which almost never happens. Virtually all stock purchases are second hand. Second hand purchases do not give money to the company.

If Facebook has an IPO ( initial public offering ) and Adam buys stock then Adam gives money to Facebook which they use. But when Adam sells that stock to Brenda Facebook gets no money. Adam gets the money only. Brenda now receives dividends from Facebook even though she didn't give Facebook a single cent. If the bill and Melinda gates foundation buys the stock from Brenda they likewise become people who take money away from Facebook without having put any money into Facebook.

So the premise of your objection - that the Bill and Melinda gates foundation is helping companies you don't like - is probably not true. All they are doing is taking money away from those companies in the form of dividends and then virtuously applying that money to good works. In order to show that there is even something to hypothetically object to you need to do some research and establish whether they purchase their stock through direct public offerings or through the secondhand market like normal.

Direct public offerings are rare and typically only done when companies are starting up. They are risky and this exactly the kind of purchases that long term trusts avoid making. It is nearly certain that they aren't doing this.

Furthermore, despite being called a foundation the Clinton foundation doesn't work like that. It works like you say you want - putting all the money given into good works right now. It will die when it's donors stop giving. It's a sprinter where the Bill and Melinda gates foundation is a marathoner that will still be doing charitable works after we are all dead.

So to show that you are arguing in good faith - and not just being to cool to say nice things about good people - lets hear it for how moral the Clinton foundation is for not doing the thing you don't like. Yes?

If you pull their tax returns and read them you'll note that Chelsea Clinton works 30 hours a week there for a salary of $0 and is in fact a donor to the foundation herself. Most of its board of directors is paid $0. The Clintons do not extract money from the foundation in any way, shape, or form. They do not use it to create sinecure jobs. They just pour money hand over fist into it year after year supporting amazing charitable works.

Go to their page and read about their initiatives. Wag more. Bark less.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LeeMajors posted:

E Pluribus Awesome!

:ughh:
Yeah, about that...
:laffo:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Rasmussen national 4-way: Clinton +4, a 2-point swing toward Clinton from a week ago

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
^^ Also that.

It seems like people feel as though Trump is doing marginally better lately, but it looks like the polls show he's doing even worse overall if anything.

http://election.princeton.edu/

The meta-margin is up to +6.3%.Clinton. The senate snapshot shows the Dems outright winning 51-49 after sitting at 50-50 forever. It looks like Trump is exactly as screwed now as he was at the end of July.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

emdash posted:

Rasmussen national 4-way: Clinton +4, a 2-point swing toward Clinton from a week ago

Assuming Rasmussen's off by the ~4 points we assume they are, doesn't this mean there's a very real chance of the Democrats taking the house? She needs like +9/+10 to take it, right? And she's at 7/8?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

4 OH FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR

Anyway

Moment of left wing adoration for Beck over, time to hate him again:
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/768812233556099072

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kaleedity posted:

does that account for why the same inhalers that cost hundreds of dollars in the states go for less than twenty dollars in europe (2013 article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/us/the-soaring-cost-of-a-simple-breath.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

It isn't that it costs significantly more to make a non-CFC inhaler, it is that you have to get every formulation approved by the FDA and that costs a poo poo-ton and takes forever. That limits the number of competitors in the market leading to those that are there charging gently caress-you prices. You'd think that the high prices would incentivize other manufacturers to get in but they don't because they know that the existing manufacturer can drop prices at will as they already made back the FDA costs.

The FDA is really gun shy about generics and especially for drugs with particular delivery mechanisms. There have been several cases recently where a generic has not worked like the name brand because of a seemingly inconsequential change. For example a particular generic sustained release Wellbutrin actually released the drug in a matter of a couple hours instead of over the course of a day.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

McAlister posted:

Joseph there is something you are missing here that nobody brought up yet and I'm impatient so I'm just going to post it.

You are incorrectly assuming that if I purchase stock from company X that this benefits company X because that is one possible definition of the word "invest". In the real world this only occurs if you buy the stock directly from the company which almost never happens. Virtually all stock purchases are second hand. Second hand purchases do not give money to the company.

If Facebook has an IPO ( initial public offering ) and Adam buys stock then Adam gives money to Facebook which they use. But when Adam sells that stock to Brenda Facebook gets no money. Adam gets the money only. Brenda now receives dividends from Facebook even though she didn't give Facebook a single cent. If the bill and Melinda gates foundation buys the stock from Brenda they likewise become people who take money away from Facebook without having put any money into Facebook.

So the premise of your objection - that the Bill and Melinda gates foundation is helping companies you don't like - is probably not true. All they are doing is taking money away from those companies in the form of dividends and then virtuously applying that money to good works. In order to show that there is even something to hypothetically object to you need to do some research and establish whether they purchase their stock through direct public offerings or through the secondhand market like normal.

Direct public offerings are rare and typically only done when companies are starting up. They are risky and this exactly the kind of purchases that long term trusts avoid making. It is nearly certain that they aren't doing this.

Furthermore, despite being called a foundation the Clinton foundation doesn't work like that. It works like you say you want - putting all the money given into good works right now. It will die when it's donors stop giving. It's a sprinter where the Bill and Melinda gates foundation is a marathoner that will still be doing charitable works after we are all dead.

So to show that you are arguing in good faith - and not just being to cool to say nice things about good people - lets hear it for how moral the Clinton foundation is for not doing the thing you don't like. Yes?

If you pull their tax returns and read them you'll note that Chelsea Clinton works 30 hours a week there for a salary of $0 and is in fact a donor to the foundation herself. Most of its board of directors is paid $0. The Clintons do not extract money from the foundation in any way, shape, or form. They do not use it to create sinecure jobs. They just pour money hand over fist into it year after year supporting amazing charitable works.

Go to their page and read about their initiatives. Wag more. Bark less.

This is good. Also a reminder that half the total population of AIDS/HIV patients in the world receive their medication through the Clinton Foundation.

The people the AP say she met with are people the Secretary of State should meet with. Yunnis, in particular, is a loving Noble prize winner for his work alleviating world-wide poverty, and who the Clintons have admired for literal decades.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

theflyingorc posted:

Assuming Rasmussen's off by the ~4 points we assume they are, doesn't this mean there's a very real chance of the Democrats taking the house? She needs like +9/+10 to take it, right? And she's at 7/8?

I don't think this really happens unless there is a big disparity in turnout on election day. On paper Clinton's GOTV ground game is going to be a trillion times better than Trump's, but nobody knows how much the real effect of that is going to be. You could argue it could be anything from "0" to "Trump gets wiped out in a Goldwater :lol:ocaust blowout."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LeeMajors posted:

Btw, gently caress anyone trying to justify this EpiPen madness. I've got scores of knuckledragging troglodytes on my facebook feed blaming "YOUR GOVERNMENT" for making it compulsory in schools and quoting Econ 101 textbooks about supply and demand.

For-profit healthcare is ironically killing this country--both literally and financially. The sooner we realize and remedy this, the sooner we can stop stressing ourselves into early graves.

But special interests have convinced low-IQ voters that healthcare has to be extraordinarily expensive and that multibillion dollar, multinational pharma and insurance conglomerates really do have their best interests at heart and certainly aren't killing them for marginal stock gains...

Jesus, gently caress this stupid country. Right in its Larry the Cable Guy watching rear end in a top hat.

You can have for-profit healthcare with heavy market restrictions, you know.

• Locked thread