Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmmm, any good Fire Emblem Birthright tips for the castle buildings, crafting or characters that form good pairings (is that "Support"?) - I am on Level 11 or 12 and have lost Silas the Cavalier guy and this one girl who had the rat spirit weapon. Hope neither of them are too plot important but whatevs, it's Fire Emblem and they dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you don't reset after losing a unit then you're a bad person.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

You're correct.

I regularly do though. But those two were so far into the battle that I thought gently caress it, you can go. And you. Losing Silas hurt, but hey. Such is the Fire Emblem Life.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Let 'em die, I say.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Poor Silas. He's my husband in my playthrough :<

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Are there gay relationships in this one? I can invite that little mage boy round and he gets a heart over him and I can look at his body. That's odd, people.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

BadAstronaut posted:

Are there gay relationships in this one? I can invite that little mage boy round and he gets a heart over him and I can look at his body. That's odd, people.

There's a bisexual male character and a bisexual female character but everyone else is straight. Most characters can build up non-romantic relationships; S-rank is marriage, A+ rank is best friends, and merely friends caps off at A-rank.

I made Mozu and Oboro best friends but I was sad that A+ rank doesn't have a scene attached to it. :{

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

And is the best way to get this done to pair them in combat, and initiate those random dialogues in the castle? Is there any 'best' relationship(s)?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gay marriages also don't give you children because progress has to go at a glacial pace.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Gay marriages also don't give you children because progress has to go at a glacial pace.
well, if they were to adopt, the children might not inherit the right skills and stats, and at that point why bother with children in the first place?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmmm, any good Fire Emblem Birthright tips for the castle buildings, crafting or characters that form good pairings (is that "Support"?) - I am on Level 11 or 12 and have lost Silas the Cavalier guy and this one girl who had the rat spirit weapon. Hope neither of them are too plot important but whatevs, it's Fire Emblem and they dead.

Neither of them are plot important. Plot important characters just "retreat" when they die, so you can't use them anymore but they can still appear in story scenes. That said, Silas is the only Cavalier you get in Birthright, barring reclassing the Avatar. You have other options for mages, but one of them is my least favorite character's kid, so ya know.

Best way to get supports is to have characters fight together in battle, either adjacent or paired up. Entering combat, healing with a staff, or dancing will earn you "points" toward the next support- indicated by the little hearts that pop up. There are "optimal" pairings, but don't even worry about that poo poo. Seriously. Mash together whoever with whoever and their kids will turn out fine. Pair up whoever you think is cutest together. This is the correct answer.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I beat the game and I still have no loving clue what that song meant.

:eng101: (Fire Emblem Fates spoilers here)

Anankos, who can see the future and could sense that the magic of the world was depleting and that he would eventually go insane, wrote the song to act as a prophecy and had it passed down the royal Vallite family so that they could guide Corrin down one of three separate paths that would all end Anankos's terror - either physically in the case of Revelation, or thematically in Birthright and Conquest.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Silas did retreat though so I have a feeling he will pop up in some bad anime conversation later.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BadAstronaut posted:

Silas did retreat though so I have a feeling he will pop up in some bad anime conversation later.

He will but you can't use him, get his kid and he won't have an ending.

Also A-Rank support Kaze by chapter 15 or the game kills him. Its a really stupid gotcha they don't telegraph at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

let blazedaughter exist

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just started playing Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon again, solely because I love Weegee and wanted to play a game with him. Only Nintendo is capable of this sorcery. Nobody bought Uncharted 4 because they love Nathan Drake.

It becomes $20 tomorrow, so if you don't have it and are looking for something new, it's in drat near must-have territory imo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

enojy posted:

Just started playing Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon again, solely because I love Weegee and wanted to play a game with him. Only Nintendo is capable of this sorcery. Nobody bought Uncharted 4 because they love Nathan Drake.

It becomes $20 tomorrow, so if you don't have it and are looking for something new, it's in drat near must-have territory imo.

I forgot this was a thing that was happening. I'll probably pick this up in a couple weeks when my budget recovers a little from buying a bunch of furniture in August.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

How does the n3DS compare to the XL models and the OG 3DS anyways? For size and comfort, etc.

I managed to crack the top screen of my n3DSxl and basically need to drop another 240 dollars on a new console, or try and track down a reliable and fast source for a top screen (do the new models even use a different screen?). I don't really want to send it in to nintendo, I'd be looking for a replacement asap. Looking online, everywhere nearby seems to only have the Mario 3D Land bundle.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Zore posted:

Also A-Rank support Kaze by chapter 15 or the game kills him. Its a really stupid gotcha they don't telegraph at all.

For real, do this. I dropped Birthright because of this next-level bullshit and I still haven't picked it up again yet. :(

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Tyty posted:

How does the n3DS compare to the XL models and the OG 3DS anyways? For size and comfort, etc.

I managed to crack the top screen of my n3DSxl and basically need to drop another 240 dollars on a new console, or try and track down a reliable and fast source for a top screen (do the new models even use a different screen?). I don't really want to send it in to nintendo, I'd be looking for a replacement asap. Looking online, everywhere nearby seems to only have the Mario 3D Land bundle.

I had the standard 3ds for one day before I decided it was too small for my fat Polish fingers. 3ds Xl is much better, my hands get sore after a while but realistically how long could I possibly play a 3ds game for?

For what it's worth I don't have gigantic hands.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Beastie posted:

I had the standard 3ds for one day before I decided it was too small for my fat Polish fingers. 3ds Xl is much better, my hands get sore after a while but realistically how long could I possibly play a 3ds game for?

For what it's worth I don't have gigantic hands.

The New Regular 3DS is slightly larger than the original, with slightly larger screens. Still considerably smaller than. The XL though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never actually seen a non-XL in person but the XL is such a perfect size that I'm having trouble imagining how you're supposed to even play something smaller.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Stan Taylor posted:

The New Regular 3DS is slightly larger than the original, with slightly larger screens. Still considerably smaller than. The XL though.

I went and grabbed my wife's XL and my standard n3ds real quick for these. It's honestly not as significant as you'd expect. I'm a huge fan of the standard size myself.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's pretty easy to hold the regular-size n3DS, you just end up clawing it a bit if you've got long fingers. I find it comfortable, personally. It's possible the XL is a bit comfier but my issue with my old XL was that it was too drat big to carry around with me, so I didn't play it nearly as often.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Does anyone use a comfort grip or anything for the New 3DS XL? I thought I saw someone post an Amazon link at one point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tyty posted:

The Mario 3D Land bundle (N3DS) is by far your best bet. Sell the game code if you don't want it to make it even cheaper (if it comes as a code, I don't know! The Animal Crossing bundle came with a code despite being advertised on the box as "preinstalled.")

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

enojy posted:

The Mario 3D Land bundle (N3DS) is by far your best bet. Sell the game code if you don't want it to make it even cheaper (if it comes as a code, I don't know! The Animal Crossing bundle came with a code despite being advertised on the box as "preinstalled.")

No code unfortunately. :sigh:

But it's $50 cheaper than the Animal Crossing bundle plus the faceplates aren't as ugly!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Wamdoodle posted:

Does anyone use a comfort grip or anything for the New 3DS XL? I thought I saw someone post an Amazon link at one point.

I do and it's awesome. I actually have a spare if someone wants to pay shipping, it's the black Dattel one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I do and it's awesome. I actually have a spare if someone wants to pay shipping, it's the black Dattel one.

I'm interested. Gonna PM you in a sec.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
So I didn't know that I already owned Metroid II on virtual console so here is a download code for it.

B0N7 0GDL 2F0H F976

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Claimed. ^^^

Thanks a bunch.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 25, 2016

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BGrifter posted:

No code unfortunately. :sigh:

But it's $50 cheaper than the Animal Crossing bundle plus the faceplates aren't as ugly!

But wait, I have a 2ds and was planning on doing a system transfer... Won't that wipe that game?! I want my main system to be the N3ds.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
All the friend/streetpass stuff in Bravely Default is optional, right? I can't imagine I'll get a lot of hits for a (relatively) old, semi-obscure game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have a cart I bought used and on both my 3DS and DS Lite it is extremely sensitive and will crash if I brush up against it, or if it gets bumped, making me think the contacts on the cartridge or maybe something internal are loose. None of my other cartridges behave this way on either system.

Any way to repair this?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

greatn posted:

I have a cart I bought used and on both my 3DS and DS Lite it is extremely sensitive and will crash if I brush up against it, or if it gets bumped, making me think the contacts on the cartridge or maybe something internal are loose. None of my other cartridges behave this way on either system.

Any way to repair this?

Try the ol' alcohol swap across the contacts routine yet? On the cart.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scratch-O posted:

All the friend/streetpass stuff in Bravely Default is optional, right? I can't imagine I'll get a lot of hits for a (relatively) old, semi-obscure game.

Yes. The game will give you robo-friends, and daily internet streetpasses too.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Wendell posted:

Yes. The game will give you robo-friends, and daily internet streetpasses too.

Good to know. Gameplay-wise, is it the Final Fantasy V spiritual successor it appears to be at first glance? Because if so, I'm probably going to have a lot of fun with it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

pretty much although jobs are unlocked one at time instead of in batches

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't figure out the daily internet streetpasses, but I didn't try very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

Silas is a dumb nerd loser with a creepy fixation and a bad haircut, who cares